Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 
Default Buying used 2018 MD Titanium Mondeos.

Whilst cruising the forum I read you guys talking about the awesome deals on the 18.25 MD Titanium’s.
Is there anything I need to know about these?
Anything to look out for?
Any known issues?
Are both the diesel and petrol engines good units?
I see the diesel has a power shift dct, is this a concern?
Any info appreciated.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: Buying used 2018 MD Titanium Mondeos.

From my understanding the TDCI powershift is the wet clutch system .... and has not issues like the dry clutch systems.

If i was up for replacement ... these are on my shortlist.
I'd rather an ecoboost myself.

But if i was going to one ... it'd be a wagon .... and trend wagons are not available in Ecoboost for some whacko reason.

Titaniums are a bit out of my budget though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #3
chris.j

I just purchased a 17.5 ex Ford owned Titanium Hatch Ecoboost for $27500 with 15,000kms on it. Came with extended Ford warranty to 5 years.
Only had it a week and love it. It's a lot of car for the money.
Did a fair bit of research and spoke to a few rep friends with Diesel PowerSh*t Mondeos and decided I could live with the higher fuel economy of the petrol
chris.j is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-08-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

My 2015 MD Titanium Hatch will be up for sale soon. 70ks on it, very good condition. Will probably be chasing around 20k for it. So far it's been brilliant, no issues. But I'm going back to a single car so it needs to go.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.j View Post
I just purchased a 17.5 ex Ford owned Titanium
Did a fair bit of research and spoke to a few rep friends with Diesel PowerSh*t Mondeos and decided I could live with the higher fuel economy of the petrol
Good move. I find the diesel & powershift combo in my MC wagon frustrating to drive. Great on the open road but so sluggish off the line it's almost dangerous in some circumstances.

I've never really gotten that close to the claimed fuel consumption either. High 7's when I was expecting low 6's. That expectation was based on driving the same route in other cars and achieving almost exactly what the manufacturer claimed for combined cycle. I put it partially down to DPF burns which I was seeing every 150 km or so.
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

I’d get the ecoboost if they offered it on the Titanium wagons. Crazy choice by ford not to IMO.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 05-08-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
chris.j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashie View Post
I’d get the ecoboost if they offered it on the Titanium wagons. Crazy choice by ford not to IMO.
Loving Ecoboost so far, the only slight negative is the fuel economy, averaging about 9L/100kms. But then I've come from a 1.4T Golf 7 that used to get about 6L/100kms!
Old 05-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #8
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu View Post
I've never really gotten that close to the claimed fuel consumption either. High 7's when I was expecting low 6's. That expectation was based on driving the same route in other cars and achieving almost exactly what the manufacturer claimed for combined cycle. I put it partially down to DPF burns which I was seeing every 150 km or so.
Hi manchu.
An insurance company just purchased my 18.25 Trend Hatch Diesel from me (long story). It had 20,000 k's on it. Overall economy on Trip A (never reset) was 5.7. 60% of these k's would be hwy. Managed 4.5 once on a country trip.
My new 18.75 is two weeks old. 1500k's so far and she's sitting on a flat 6.
High 7's for you does seem a bit thirsty. And re the DPF burns. How did you know these were happening ? I cant recall any burns on my last Mondeo, but that's not to say it didn't happen.

Last edited by thebigd; 05-08-2019 at 06:26 PM.
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

I've just found this guy in the UK and have been watching his vids.
If not all, about mondeos and issues that he has been fixing.
Great watching here. https://www.youtube.com/user/alan4x6677
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #10
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
re the DPF burns. How did you know these were happening ? I cant recall any burns on my last Mondeo, but that's not to say it didn't happen.
Ditto. Also curious to know.
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Ive got a Titanium Diesel too.. Had it 12 months and very happy with it, average fuel over that period is about 5.9 80 % city / 20 % highway.

I was told my multiple people at my dealership not to buy an ecoboost unless I could live with 12 litres per hundred (so I avoided ecoboost).

No problems with the transmissions however the 60k service requires that the transmission fluid be replaced!!! I think it makes that service $910.

The only other thing I don't like are the tyres, got 30k out of them but have now fitted Falken 510's.

I would buy another one tomorrow if I needed to, they are excellent value for money and in my mind its basically a Falcon with a diesel.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #12
evanlau
Starter Motor

I've got the Trend petrol hatch. I know it's not a like-for-like, but the fuel consumption is relatively high. On my 80% freeway weeks, it averages ~8L/100km. On my normal drive on freeway + city, it averages ~9.5L/100km. On weeks when I'm just driving around my suburb, it averages ~11-12L/100km. Plus if you do a calculation after filling up, it's actually +1L/100km on top of the indicated figure. Ford adds an 'offset' that tunes down the actual fuel consumption shown.

A Titanium petrol hatch would be higher due to the sunroof + other additions.

Oh, and the build quality is low to average at best. Have a look at another thread here started by me, something about 'digital speedo and build quality'....
evanlau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #13
Mondaveo

Quote:
Quote:
I've never really gotten that close to the claimed fuel consumption either. High 7's when I was expecting low 6's. I put it partially down to DPF burns which I was seeing every 150 km or so.
High 7's for you does seem a bit thirsty. And re the DPF burns. How did you know these were happening ? I cant recall any burns on my last Mondeo, but that's not to say it didn't happen.
manchu is talking about a diesel MC wagon, not an MD. His experience mirrors mine in an MC wagon too (consumption ranging between high 6's to high 7's ltrs per 100km). There's some thought that the wagon carries a weight and aero penalty that affects the economy achievable next to the contemporary hatch.

The MD diesel really seems to be a step beyond in economy, consistent 5ltr/100km or better is really impressive and enviable. Surely no MC wags can get near that.

As for DPF burns, you need to read the subtle signs to identify when it happens - in an MC, mainly an increase in engine noise and stationary fuel consumption. I've only ever positively identified it once or twice with my car (which I've had now almost 4 years). With improvements to refinement it may be even more invisible in the MD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2019, 11:23 PM   #14
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My experience mirrors others.

MA Zetec diesel sedan owned for 9 years - middle 6s fuel economy and no obvious indications of DPF regenerations.

MD Titanium diesel wagon owned for 18 months - middle 5s fuel economy and no obvious indications of DPF regenerations.

And I'll take issue with some posters comments about build quality in so far as if you want a vehicle that gets a couple of days of inspection and panel adjustment so that alignment and gaps are measured in small parts of a millimetre then be prepared to pay up to twice the price (or beyond) that a Mondeo currently commands. In the case of our MD , yes there are some tiny misalignments, but nothing to have me generating lots of posts of complaint, and after 6 months of ownership they fade into the background of owning a well built car that, thus far, has not shown any sign of problems. I have some sympathy for owners who have been caught with mechanical problems that have left them exposed to FordOz and FordOz Dealer network with less than satisfactory results regarding resolution in a timely manner - but it just might be that they have to deal with a myriad of complaints that in the broader scheme of things are quite minor indeed.

But then I have another 30 months of factory warranty to run if anything does happen.

Seems to me that a good measure of value is to ask what you paid for the car as a percentage of your annual income and in our case that is a lot less than 50% compared with the near new car we bought in the sixties which was just beyond 100% and, although I regard that vehicle as a very good car for its time, the current Mondeo tosses that car into the weeds in every comparison.

It is a reasonable comparison, because as retired people, our annual income, in comparative terms, is pretty much the same as it was when we bought the sixties car.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #15
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
get near that.

As for DPF burns, you need to read the subtle signs to identify when it happens
Or be watching EGT on an OBD2 scanner in real time, which I did for quite a while after a mysterious DPF system fault.

The only time I’ve ever noticed it without the scanner is high consumption at idle.
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #16
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Or be watching EGT on an OBD2 scanner in real time, which I did for quite a while after a mysterious DPF system fault.

The only time I’ve ever noticed it without the scanner is high consumption at idle.
You really notice the DPF burn when you come to a stop while it’s in progress.
Engine note “pulses”, it burps and farts, inst fuel consumption at idle is high, and an unpleasant odour is emitted.

Ours always used to pick the last part of the journey, when we were backing into the garage :-(

No real problem, just take off for a quick blast, and it’s over.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #17
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
You really notice the DPF burn when you come to a stop while it’s in progress.

Engine note “pulses”, it burps and farts, inst fuel consumption at idle is high, and an unpleasant odour is emitted.

Ours always used to pick the last part of the journey, when we were backing into the garage :-(

No real problem, just take off for a quick blast, and it’s over.
Yes, coming off the motorway, parking the car, stopped at lights on a long phase - how does it know these are when to do a DPF regen?
Old 07-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #18
bundybear75

Quote:
Good move. I find the diesel & powershift combo in my MC wagon frustrating to drive. Great on the open road but so sluggish off the line it's almost dangerous in some circumstances.

I have been driving my MC wagon now for around 140,000km. Average fuel consumption 6.58L per 100km. Daily 240km return commute, including 95km of dual carriageway, 20km of rural roads and the rest town.

I have to agree with the sluggish off the line bit, I either drive in manual mode or pick big gaps in traffic. Gets up and goes though when on the open road.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #19
evanlau
Starter Motor

Thinking back now, I drove a Mondeo MD diesel wagon recently (loan car from Ford), it was pretty sluggish down low. Reminds me of old school diesels. However, over time you adapt to driving them differently compared to a petrol car.

I disagree that with a Ford, you should be happy with the build quality you get due to the price you paid for it. Roughly equivalently priced cars (e.g. Mazdas, Toyotas) and cheaper ones (e.g. Hyundai, Kia) have build quality that sh*ts all over Ford. So you don't have to pay twice the price for decent build quality.

Anyway, decent build quality is expected for most mainstream brands. Ford has been building cars for >100 years. I acknowledge there are many reasons to like a Ford. I enjoy driving mine, but I have no illusions that it's still a car that was poorly put together in the factory.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #20
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How bad is this diesel sluggishness guys?
Is it only from a standstill?
What’s overtaking pulling power like?

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 07-08-2019, 11:24 PM   #21
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive had 2 diesel MD Mondeo company cars and they perform great off the line. We have V6 Klugers at work and my Mondeo was quicker to 80 then the Kluger. I have a modified FG G6ET and the Mondeos diesel performance surprised me everyday. Overtook easily even up above 100.
gsd112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #22
evanlau
Starter Motor

Maybe it just 'feels' sluggish as it's not as free revving as a petrol. Like I said, you just have to adapt to driving it differently to get the most out of a diesel engine. I owned a diesel A4 for almost 10 years and then switched to a Mondeo petrol, and had to get used to driving a petrol again. Taking off from a standstill and overtaking are achieved differently, but with similar outcomes, if that makes sense.

Best thing to do is just test drive one to get a feel for it..
Old 08-08-2019, 03:36 PM   #23
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanlau View Post
Thinking back now, I drove a Mondeo MD diesel wagon recently (loan car from Ford), it was pretty sluggish down low. Reminds me of old school diesels. However, over time you adapt to driving them differently compared to a petrol car.

I disagree that with a Ford, you should be happy with the build quality you get due to the price you paid for it. Roughly equivalently priced cars (e.g. Mazdas, Toyotas) and cheaper ones (e.g. Hyundai, Kia) have build quality that sh*ts all over Ford. So you don't have to pay twice the price for decent build quality.

Anyway, decent build quality is expected for most mainstream brands. Ford has been building cars for >100 years. I acknowledge there are many reasons to like a Ford. I enjoy driving mine, but I have no illusions that it's still a car that was poorly put together in the factory.

Build quality on mine is pretty good and I'm fussy!! Couldn't complain with how mine is built but I do have some annoying door rattles.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #24
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Build quality on mine is pretty good and I'm fussy!!
Hey Smoke. Yours did look straight, even when dirty !
Only issue I have is the bonnet nose cone match up. Dealer said they would rectify at the 3K service. The job will be out sourced to their local preferred repair centre, and charged back to Ford AU.
Attachment 101920

Last edited by thebigd; 30-07-2020 at 04:29 PM.
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2019, 10:08 PM   #25
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey Smoke. Yours did look straight, even when dirty !
Only issue I have is the bonnet nose cone match up. Dealer said they would rectify at the 3K service. The job will be out sourced to their local preferred repair centre, and charged back to Ford AU.
Attachment 101920
Hi again,

And what the repair centre will do is adjust the driver's side bonnet bump stop upwards or the passenger's side bump stop downwards to even up the gap. Wonder what ford will be charged for that?? Personally I'd prefer the adjustment upwards to tension the bonnet against the latch to minimise flexure. JMO.

Anyway, this "debate" about "build quality" got me thinking about the purchase of vehicles across a goodly number of years and I realised that only once have I ordered a car that had yet to be built or imported.

That car turned out to be the least best built car I have ever owned, little of which was apparent at the time of delivery. A front passenger side spring improperly positioned against its seat leading to a "droop" at the opposite corner. A windscreen seal (at the top) which failed during persistent rain when on holiday in Victoria. Cast metal door furniture that broke on a continuing basis. But it did tow a caravan reasonably well and we were not in a position to move to another manufacturer's product owing to the cost of such a move.

I guess , subconsciously, I decided that I would not sign a purchase contract again unless I was able to see the car I was buying "in the flesh" in the future. A position I have adhered to since then and, so far as build quality is concerned, I have not been disappointed.

So far as both Mondeos (MA Sedan, MD Wagon) we have owned, the build quality has been good to excellent, so I disagree with the opinion of others posting here.

I guess the message here is don't agree to buy something that you have not "eyeballed". Difficult if you have signed a purchase order "Sight unseen".

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2019, 01:20 PM   #26
67Pony
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.j View Post
I just purchased a 17.5 ex Ford owned Titanium Hatch Ecoboost for $27500 with 15,000kms on it. Came with extended Ford warranty to 5 years.
Only had it a week and love it. It's a lot of car for the money.
Hi Chris,
I also just bought a 2017 Titanium Diesel 22k's and same balance of new car warranty. Just clocked 1k in it and love it. Only thing that everyone told me is to do a highway run every month to clear its throat.

Happy Motoring.
67Pony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2019, 01:24 PM   #27
chris.j

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Pony View Post
Hi Chris,
I also just bought a 2017 Titanium Diesel 22k's and same balance of new car warranty. Just clocked 1k in it and love it. Only thing that everyone told me is to do a highway run every month to clear its throat.

Happy Motoring.
Hi 67Pony, loving mine, up to 5,500kms since buying it.
I travel 50kms each way to work and home, mostly 100kph zone, it's throat gets a good cleaning
Enjoy!