Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 28-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #3301
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Donald and his merry men seem to be doing a fantastic job of controlling the disease...

"The death toll from coronavirus in the US has now surpassed 100,000, making it the first country to reach the grim milestone.

According to data from Johns Hopkins University, the US leads the world in both death toll and total case numbers.

Nearly 1.7 million Americans have been infected with COVID-19."

! Get the facts about Covid 19

Get the facts is right.

I suspect that the most notified cases from all over the world are the USA because people blame Trump for the virus and a big toll may hurt his chances come re-election time in November whereas in other countries their numbers cannot be relied upon.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #3302
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Blue states.
How insanely tribal has America become that they would evaluate Covid statistics in terms of who people voted for.

WTF

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/25/u...ue-states.html
Old 28-05-2020, 01:27 PM   #3303
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
How insanely tribal has America become that they would evaluate Covid statistics in terms of who people voted for.

WTF

Well it is what it is.

Research the Governor of New York (not his brother, who is a lead anchor at CNN) and his connection to nursing homes during this crisis.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #3304
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
. While children are not immune, even globally they seem to be less contagious than adults. .

Based on what evidence?
Old 28-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #3305
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
Define way up there.

The media love those raw numbers to sensationalize the situation.

The USA CMR is a bit more than a third the UK. Belgium is beating the USA in pretty much every number, in a bad way. If you take the EU as a whole it's total population is similar to the USA, with some countries doing very well, like some states, and others are a trainwreck, like some states.

So overall the USA is slightly worse than the EU, but America bashers and Trump haters take every opportunity to whine about the American numbers, no one is leveling similar criticism at Europe.

We are now seeing emerge the 20/20 hindsight brigade, telling us how everyone got it wrong and they are all idiots. It's only taken a couple of months for them to forget no one knew how this was going to pan out and everyone did the best they could with the information to hand at the time.

AND...of course... it ain't over.

USA has done as best it could. They have significant % of people who are non compliant. They have tremendous economic strata. They have a multi tier government system with more power invested in states than we do. They have massive overseas exposure on both coasts.

It's REALLY easy to point out the problems in the world. Hippies have made a lifelong obsession about it. It's also really easy to sit around with your friends telling each other how clever you are and how easy it would be to fix the world. Try actually doing something and you find it ain't that easy and your "common sense" solutions have often been tried and shown to fail.

I hate the people in power across the world as much as anyone, but I also hate the idiots who think they are smarter than everyone else vomiting their hate and puerile ideas at every opportunity. It's great to have civil intercourse, but that doesn't seem to happen anymore, just fanatics emerging from their echo chambers yelling abuse at each other.

More importantly: I'm working through a bottle of Jack atm. I realised it'd been so long since I had it I'd forgotten what it was like. Purely medicinal of course...cough cough...

I don't think the USA has done the best they could. There's too many leaders running around like chooks with their heads cut off and too many who think they know more than the doctors and scientists.
Old 28-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #3306
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Well it is what it is.
No it is not.

NewYork State makes up about a third of the stats for the whole of the USA. Take that state out and infection rates/deaths are fairly evenly spread across the county.
Does not make for a story if you have an agenda.

Quote:
Research the Governor of New York (not his brother, who is a lead anchor at CNN) and his connection to nursing homes during this crisis.
I would but I left my tin foil onesie at home.....
Old 28-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #3307
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
I don't think the USA has done the best they could. There's too many leaders running around like chooks with their heads cut off and too many who think they know more than the doctors and scientists.
US Intelligence monitors the Chinese govt communications and they claim they gave the president adequate warning. We will probably never be able to read those briefings given to the president. The concern is that he never read them either.
Old 28-05-2020, 03:26 PM   #3308
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Based on what evidence?
There's no empirical data readily available. The few short studies that have been done (in the USA) show about 4.5% of deaths in the under 45 age group but most of those with underlying conditions including include Diabetes, Lung Disease, Cancer, Immunodeficiency, Heart Disease, Hypertension, Asthma, Kidney Disease, and GI/Liver Disease.

Indeed, those same studies show only 25% of deaths are not related to one of those co-morbidities and none for the under 17 age group.

In Australia 4.5% of all identified cases have been under 17 with no fatalities.

What is somewhat more interesting is that those studies also show almost a 62/38 split between male and female deaths which is quite different to Australia where we have an almost even split (51/49).

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #3309
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

WTF

They have seriously lost the plot.

have you noticed how the evangelicals have kept quite about Armageddon? Trumpy has their back
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
This user likes this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #3310
Bossxr8
Peter Car

CDC now claiming death rate is much lower than earlier predictions. So much for all the fools who sprouted the 20 times worse than the flu crap. Mindless sheep.

In addition to providing various rates of hospitalizations and infections, the CDC gave new estimates of the total fatality rate of the virus, ranging from about 0.1% (its least deadly scenario) to 0.8% (its deadliest scenario). The agency also cited a “best estimate” of 0.26%.
5 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 04:55 PM   #3311
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
CDC now claiming death rate is much lower than earlier predictions. So much for all the fools who sprouted the 20 times worse than the flu crap. Mindless sheep.

In addition to providing various rates of hospitalizations and infections, the CDC gave new estimates of the total fatality rate of the virus, ranging from about 0.1% (its least deadly scenario) to 0.8% (its deadliest scenario). The agency also cited a “best estimate” of 0.26%.
Everyone is smarter in hindsight

It's also a long way from being finished killing people.
Old 28-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #3312
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:

There are an awful lot of assumptions in that data set with the major one being their estimate of identified v unidentified cases.

I should note that some US researchers are suggesting that only 1 in 12 Coronavirus cases is actually identified but even if this were true (and the Influenza case numbers were 100% accurate) that still makes the mortality rate higher for COVID19.

The COVID19 case mortality rate is currently much higher than Influenza - globally it is about 6.22% whereas Influenza is globally <1% and 0.1% in most developed countries even though there are huge variables in just how many cases go unreported for both.

Let's narrow that down. Influenza currently infects about 8% of the population in developed countries each year despite ~80% efficacious vaccines being available but reported cases are not a total of of all cases and the (US) mortality rate of 0.1% is based on the reported numbers and not the total number.

Using Australia as an example we reported 330k Influenza cases in 2019 for 1,255 deaths so that's a CMR of 0.38% but based on total case estimates (~2M) that drops back to 0.062%.

You could safely argue, using the USA as an example that the number of unreported (or unidentified) cases are similar for both given the other similarities they share. Thus if there are only 6 unreported flu cases for every reported one (based on Australia) and if COVID19 is similar then the real figure would give the USA a CMR of assuming all the unidentified cases survive) that is still close to 1%. Even if it was 12x as suggested above then the CMR is still 5x that of Influenza.

Observatio Facta Rotae

7 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #3313
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
They have seriously lost the plot.

have you noticed how the evangelicals have kept quite about Armageddon? Trumpy has their back
They never had it IMO.

Crazy place
Old 28-05-2020, 06:25 PM   #3314
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:

WTF

Blue states are mostly on teh coast. It is far more likely they have higher rates of infection because their populations were more internationally mobile and they are more exposed to overseas visitors. Exactly the same reason Sydney and Melbourne have more cases than Broken Hill and Roma.

" While children are not immune, even globally they seem to be less contagious than adults."

A couple of you responded to this with comments about children's infection rates and mortality. Note the original statement claims reduced _contagiousness_ (terrible word). I have seen no evidence that an infected child is more or less likely to spread the virus than an infected adult. Please correct me if I have missed something.

And to clarify: My previous statement regarding infection rates in the USA vs Europe (or South America for that matter) have nothing to do with the sort of prejudice driven minutia analysis the media and others cling to. The FACT is the USA is a unique situation as are most other jurisdictions. It's outcomes so far are not orders of magnitude different from comparable jurisdictions. I make no case for them doing especially well, but you cannot mount a reasonable case that they have done catastrophically badly. It does not matter if they are 10% or 20% worse than some random comparison. You can mount your soapbox and wave you fist about all you want, I guarantee if Hilary, you, scomo, bojo or marvin the martian was president you would not get a significantly different result. You would still have recalcitrant governors, vested interests and disobedient citizens.

We didn't do better (to date) thanks to our fearless leaders. We did better because we are an island, sparsely populated, with reasonable levels of compliance and a whole bunch of individuals who rolled up their sleeves.

Mm. 5:30. Time to get medicinal.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 06:37 PM   #3315
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
There's no empirical data readily available. The few short studies that have been done (in the USA) show about 4.5% of deaths in the under 45 age group but most of those with underlying conditions including include Diabetes, Lung Disease, Cancer, Immunodeficiency, Heart Disease, Hypertension, Asthma, Kidney Disease, and GI/Liver Disease.

Indeed, those same studies show only 25% of deaths are not related to one of those co-morbidities and none for the under 17 age group.

In Australia 4.5% of all identified cases have been under 17 with no fatalities.

What is somewhat more interesting is that those studies also show almost a 62/38 split between male and female deaths which is quite different to Australia where we have an almost even split (51/49).

Thanks, but the context of my question related to contagiousness not deaths by under 17yo.

You can be a highly contagious school kid, and not die from it.

But...you go to school and bring it home to your parents and grandparents...and that is the problem
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #3316
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Everyone is smarter in hindsight

It's also a long way from being finished killing people.
More like not everyone bought into the media driven mass hysteria that 60,000 australians were going to die.

The sheep ate it up though.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #3317
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
More like not everyone bought into the media driven mass hysteria that 60,000 australians were going to die.

Which media outlet predicted 60,000 deaths in Australia?
Old 28-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #3318
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Breaking news- when driving in a car you have to wear a seatbelt now- in a crash you will be exposed to injuries and a seabelt will reduce risks of injury.

Public: Bugger- we have to pay for the seatbelts, pain in the butt to wear all the time, infringes our freedoms, bugger- not wearing get a fine oh well might as well wear them.

Public member- crash car into wall at 50 kph with seatbelt on. No injuries whatsoever. Public member retorts- what was all the fuss about- that was not so bad- and I am ****ed I am out of pocket buying the seatbelts, the infringement of my rights, and the inconvenience of wearing it. All a waste of time- no injuries- see it was never needed

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
5 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 07:02 PM   #3319
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
. I have seen no evidence that an infected child is more or less likely to spread the virus than an infected adult. Please correct me if I have missed something.

Send one infected child to a school with a thousand other kids
Send one infected adult to a school with a thousand other kids

send both groups home to their grand parents or parents over 50.

interesting clinical trial....
Old 28-05-2020, 07:05 PM   #3320
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Is not “contagiousness” more correctly “contagion”?
Old 28-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #3321
zilo
BANNED

Is not “contagiousness” more correctly “contagion”?

Nope.
Old 28-05-2020, 07:56 PM   #3322
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Why not?
Old 28-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #3323
zilo
BANNED

Sorry I am not a lexicographer.

But I was learned proper at skool.

'Later I was teached to use doctor Google.

He nose every think.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/contagiousness

We can use contagiosity if you prefer?

Last edited by zilo; 28-05-2020 at 08:14 PM. Reason: found another cool word
Old 28-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #3324
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kids don't spread it because their germ ridden mouths are only knee high and all the bugs fall to the ground.
Stand tall & be safe!
5 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 10:38 PM   #3325
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Breaking news- when driving in a car you have to wear a seatbelt now- in a crash you will be exposed to injuries and a seabelt will reduce risks of injury.

Public: Bugger- we have to pay for the seatbelts, pain in the butt to wear all the time, infringes our freedoms, bugger- not wearing get a fine oh well might as well wear them.

Public member- crash car into wall at 50 kph with seatbelt on. No injuries whatsoever. Public member retorts- what was all the fuss about- that was not so bad- and I am ****ed I am out of pocket buying the seatbelts, the infringement of my rights, and the inconvenience of wearing it. All a waste of time- no injuries- see it was never needed

This could go in the dictionary as a classic straw man argument.

For your homework, how about an example of a fallacy in syllogistic reasoning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28-05-2020, 11:02 PM   #3326
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tens of thousands of deaths has always been based on worse case modelling without measures to reduce it.

We have taken those measures and even with that I am gobsmacked we have not seen much worse than 100. We can never know for sure.

Now we have some people angry that many people didn't die

Then we have people who think that doctors and scientists (which have been long respected professions) are now considered money hungry self-interested bastards.

Meanwhile those same people are seemingly trusting of politicians who are have generally been considered out for themselves for as long as I can remember.

What the **** has gone wrong with this world?
Old 28-05-2020, 11:20 PM   #3327
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Get the facts is right.

I suspect that the most notified cases from all over the world are the USA because people blame Trump for the virus and a big toll may hurt his chances come re-election time in November whereas in other countries their numbers cannot be relied upon.
Nobody is talking about the election. Can go shopping but can't go out and vote? lol. ''Vote by mail'' = easily rigged. This is why they don't want voter ID. I could post 50+ links of voter fraud.

And Picture a live debate with Joe Biden v Donald Trump. It would be a 20 year old Mike Tyson vs your dog.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2020, 11:42 PM   #3328
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I present this textbook example of galvanic corrosion:

Reaction 1: Contractor declares it’s going to be a terrible water leak. Everyone in the house needs to pack up and move out while experts come in to remediate the issue and institute preventive measures. People do as told, and are eternally grateful the damage was limited to a few drips and a bucket of cash spent.

Reaction 2: The contractor pushes the galvanised ant capping away from the pipe, gives that a wiggle to make sure it’s still sound and says to the owner “Keep an eye on that every year or two”. Life goes on.
Old 28-05-2020, 11:42 PM   #3329
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Thanks, but the context of my question related to contagiousness not deaths by under 17yo.

You can be a highly contagious school kid, and not die from it.

But...you go to school and bring it home to your parents and grandparents...and that is the problem
Surely there is enough school kids back at school to ease the minds of the paranoid sections of society.
Old 29-05-2020, 12:46 AM   #3330
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I present this textbook example of galvanic corrosion:

Reaction 1: Contractor declares it’s going to be a terrible water leak. Everyone in the house needs to pack up and move out while experts come in to remediate the issue and institute preventive measures. People do as told, and are eternally grateful the damage was limited to a few drips and a bucket of cash spent.

Reaction 2: The contractor pushes the galvanised ant capping away from the pipe, gives that a wiggle to make sure it’s still sound and says to the owner “Keep an eye on that every year or two”. Life goes on.

Reaction 3: That was just carbon and off colouring due to the heating done to bend it, nothing wrong.
2 users like this post:
Closed Thread