Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
bka001
Starter Motor

Default Ford Easy Fuel

Any one had any luck at open the easy fuel system to put fuel in from a jery can etc?

My MB petrol doesn't come with the special funnel that the diesel's do.

Does anyone know of third party devices?

What happens if you run out of fuel?

Thanks,
bka001

bka001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DON'T run out of fuel! I think the standard solution at present is a tow to the nearest pump.

I would really like a suitable funnel to carry with me.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You might have some luck by obtaining one of those three piece funnels that are available in discount stores.

Take the nozzel part that won't quite fit into the filler pipe and slit it along its length for about 4 cm back from the end. This lets it collapse onto itself and provides the "expansion" force you neeed to push all of the "fingers" in the fill pipe neck back so that the "shutter" can release to admit the nozzle. Make the slit so it ends up on the top of the nozzle when inserted.

Works like a charm for me in a diesel fill neck, but might need some experimenting on a petrol engined car. (Then I found the adapter that allows you to use high rate pumps : )

Hope this helps

Cheers

Hope this helps.

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD
Works like a charm for me in a diesel fill neck, but might need some experimenting on a petrol engined car. (Then I found the adapter that allows you to use high rate pumps : )
I've tried to use a high flow pump and I must be doing something wrong (lot's of room here for innuendo). I put the adapter into the fuel hole, pump on. Click. Take pump out a bit, start diesel, click. I have to have it out a fair bit to allow the diesel to flow in, and I get splash back and diesel all over the place.

What am I doing wrong.

All that and barely a childish snigger!
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't needed to use the adapter for filling - yet, but I used the adapted funnel nozzle to allow the adding of some diesel injector additive.

Having said that the filler neck has an abrupt bend just inboard of the "easy fuel" shut off flap. If you push the adapter too far in it will restrict the flow rate (I think) and with the high rate pump splash back will then occur. I'd suggest only inserting the adapter nozzle just far enough to get the fill neck flap out of the way, and go light on the bowser trigger.

(And we'll have a mod on our case if we are not careful here )

Cheers

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 03-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Dusty1
Giddy up!

AlanD, thanks for that. I do get a bit of 'splash back' when I put it in too far.

And I freely admit to an immature smirk and giggle.

When I'm filling it up at the high flows, I'll try not to put the adaptor in so far.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
RicOz

Has anyone got to 0kms to go on their display? How much reserve would be left in reality?

When you see the light, its best to fill up, you dont want the tank to be empty and suck in all the crap at the bottom.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicOz
Has anyone got to 0kms to go on their display? How much reserve would be left in reality?

When you see the light, its best to fill up, you dont want the tank to be empty and suck in all the crap at the bottom.
Been there, done that and the tank took 70.3 litres. I now fill up when the light comes on.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I remember reading something on here about diesels being harder to start once they run out of fuel. I learnt the hard way in a previous car, so once the gauge hits a quarter, I fill up. Normally takes about 60 litres.
Previous:
Old 04-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
bka001
Starter Motor

I've been in contact with the dealer and I was told that you can force it open with you finger.
Just got to be quick to get the funnel in before you take your finger...need a thin funnel I guess.

News flash : I managed to scrounge the diesel funnel from the dealership that sold me to car.
bka001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bka001
I've been in contact with the dealer and I was told that you can force it open with you finger.
Just got to be quick to get the funnel in before you take your finger...need a thin funnel I guess.

News flash : I managed to scrounge the diesel funnel from the dealership that sold me to car.

Not on my diesel filler you can't, because you have to depress all of the white fingers surrounding the flap simultaneously - start forcing things and you might break the flap, so I'd advise care - and I'll be interested to learn if the diesel adapter will do the job, as I think the nozzel diameters are different so that it is difficult to fill up with the wrong kind of fuel - you did say you have a petrol engine?

Cheers

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 05-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #12
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bka001
The whole idea of the Easyfuel system is that you can't accidentally put diesel in a petrol car. So I don't think that the diesel funnel will work.

There are funnels that taper from the nozzle part back to the cone. Might get one and see if it will open the thingy.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:04 AM   #13
Cyborg1978

The WS fiesta come with an easy fuel funnel. May be you can order one through your dealer. I keep it with my spare tyer.
Cyborg1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #14
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg1978
The WS fiesta come with an easy fuel funnel. May be you can order one through your dealer. I keep it with my spare tyer.
Thanks for that. Will check it out.