Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
parker

Default Disable passenger airbag

In NSW it is legal to have a child seat in the passenger side of a ute, because there are no other seating locations available, but, I would like to be able to disable the air bag on that side if I have my daughter in there.
If I disconnect the pretensioner checking cable (yellow plug under the seat) and cause the airbag fault light to display on the dash, would that disable both airbags, or only the passenger one?

parker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
T3man
Banned

Default Re: Disable passenger airbag

To get a definitive answer on the legality you'd need to contact the RTA; and Ford for the second part, because I have a feeling that if there is a fault detected then the whole system is disabled.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

This is a good question.

My wife and I don't let our 8 year old sit in the front of the AU2 for that reason. The AU1 of course, doesn't have the passenger airbag, so she enjoys the front seat ride!

Let us know what you find out.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
parker

Children younger than four years cannot travel in the front seat of a vehicle with two or more rows.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...nts/index.html

If the car has one row of seats (for example a single cab ute or sports car with a front anchorage point) a child of any age can sit in the front seat provided they are properly restrained. However, most car manufacturers recommend against the use of rearward facing restraints in front passenger seats.

A child in a rearward facing restraint should not be placed in the front seat of a vehicle where there is an air bag.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/roadsafety...laws_faqs.html
Old 20-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
My wife and I don't let our 8 year old sit in the front of the AU2 for that reason. The AU1 of course, doesn't have the passenger airbag, so she enjoys the front seat ride!
I'm in a similar situation, my girl isn't far from the age where she's legally allowed to sit in the front seat, but my AU3 has a passenger airbag. Might stick with "chauffeur style" seating arrangements for a couple more years.

Can the seats in a ute go as far back as those in a sedan?
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan194
Can the seats in a ute go as far back as those in a sedan?
yeah, so a fair distance from the bag if right back. Would prefer fully off though.
Old 23-01-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
an10as

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker
In NSW it is legal to have a child seat in the passenger side of a ute, because there are no other seating locations available, but, I would like to be able to disable the air bag on that side if I have my daughter in there.
If I disconnect the pretensioner checking cable (yellow plug under the seat) and cause the airbag fault light to display on the dash, would that disable both airbags, or only the passenger one?
You can only remove an airbag legally if it was a factory option and not factory standard in a vehicle. You cant just disable it either, it has to be removed entirely.
As also said, The child has to be a certain age to be allowed in the front seat.
an10as is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Is there some sort of simple circuit board attached to the bag that gives a signal or is the system just a "dumb" system relying on a live circuit to the bag? If it's just a "dumb" system what would happen if you were to put a breaker switch in line to the passenger airbag that when activated just killed power to the bag but bridged the wires so the system still appeared ok?

....Just a thought.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
james22
With da Warlords

Any error detected in the Airbag system will disable it completely (for safety reasons) how ironic is that lol. I'd rather one airbag go off in an accident than none at all, but I suppose they don't want there to be any chance of a miss-fire

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did all series 2`s get the passenger air bag , i was under the impression it was an option on some models, my xr6 has it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
Armageddon
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
This is a good question.

Let us know what you find out.

GK
My AU1 Forte Option 20 sedan has a passenger airbag
Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2019, 07:20 PM   #12
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I’ve got the issue at the moment in my AU ute. Legally my son can travel in it but it has a passenger airbag. You can only disable both airbags, I’m unsure what to do.

I’m happy to forward face him (2 and a half) but I’ve heard if the airbag goes off it risks shattering his face.
Old 31-10-2019, 08:41 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

1.5 ohm resistor, the defeater plug for single-baggers is about $60+ from Ford but you should get one off a wrecked ute for peanuts.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post