Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #301
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford is Looking Back - XR8

I have a simple solution to this GS - XR8 conundrum. Why don't FPV offer a no-cost-option 'XR8' sticker/badge pack...though I'd doubt they'd forgo the FPV oval badge

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Old 03-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #302
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Well that's what the original plan was. Hence GS not having an FPV bodykit and the NA XR8 program gettin treated like an afterthought.
I thought the GS was just a way of reviving a historic nameplate, so FPV had a cheap entry to prop up sales?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 03-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #303
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

This thread seem's to be going round and round like all other thread's about the XR8. What is so hard to understand !.
The XR8 when in production was loosing sales and not seen as popular.
The GS in production is making sales and seem's popular.
The GS is basically an XR8 in disguise.

FPV are predominanlty reliving Ford's heritage with the GT and now GS and with Moffat a little while back.

Why is it so hard for some people to understand all this and get over it.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #304
BHDOGS
Banned

It comes down to people being stupid they say I'd never buy a 40grand xr8 ZOMG a 50 grand gs fpv I must have it here is a blank check write whateva amount u wish to even if it's the exact same car
Old 03-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #305
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
I thought the GS was just a way of reviving a historic nameplate, so FPV had a cheap entry to prop up sales?
Well for a long time there were rumours FPV would only sell V8's and Ford would only do the 6's but I think the final decision for what we saw on the MK1.5 cars was as a result of Ford changing their mind at the last second. I don't know however how that all plays in with the GS 302 cars.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #306
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Ford and FPV see the two cars as competing with each other and they are the ones you have to convince, not us
Yes, I expect they do. It's probably something to do with profit centres and kpi's - the kinds of things if not tuned right can mess up the best companies as people gravitate towards making their own kpi's look good even if it doesn't serve the greater purpose. But I digress.....

Convincing 'us' AND 'them' was the hope here. Did you see the link to the FPV 'suggestions' I posted up earlier?

It's just about too late now - it's all but assured that another XR8 will not see the light of day. This last glimmer of rebadging hope is the only way it could ever happen.

Lukeyson
Old 03-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #307
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
The GS is basically an XR8 in disguise.
Yes yes. I hear another 'The XR8 has gone, give up, it can't be done'. And yet I also see someone else that says a GS is an XR8.

Just remove the disguise and we're done here. Those of you that want an FPV for 'resale value' - since it appears the thought there is that the engineering makes no difference, only the badge - can keep it.

Lukeyson
Old 03-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #308
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

FORD XR8 N/A - 45k
FPV GS S/C - 55k

i don't see why there's no business case for it.

i for one don't want an FPV for a few different reasons
Old 03-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #309
nstg8a

pretty obvious when you see a gs and a xr8 beside each other that that the gs is the the xr8, just with another name.

good idea the nco for xr8 badging imo, something little and easy.

holden dealers do it with chev badges so why not...
Old 03-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #310
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
I have a simple solution to this GS - XR8 conundrum. Why don't FPV offer a no-cost-option 'XR8' sticker/badge pack...though I'd doubt they'd forgo the FPV oval badge
Not silly. And would shut me up as long as it did have Ford badges....

Lukeyson
Old 03-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #311
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
FORD XR8 N/A - 45k
FPV GS S/C - 55k

reasons....

1/.....

2/...

3/..

Old 03-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #312
prydey
Rob

ok, show of hands.

2 cars identical in every way, including price, except one is badged fpv gs, the other is badged ford xr8.

which would you buy?
Old 03-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #313
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
reasons....

1/.....

2/...

3/..

fpv's are worth too much in 3 years time.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #314
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
ok, show of hands.

2 cars identical in every way, including price, except one is badged fpv gs, the other is badged ford xr8.

which would you buy?
I'd buy either, I have no prefrence becuase I am not hung up on a name.
I have a XR8 and love the nameplate but I am also very fond of the GS nameplate and it's heritage. I am glad Ford/FPV re-introduced it.

At the end of the day aslong as it fit's the bill to consumer's and they buy it what does it matter.

Last edited by galaxy xr8; 03-03-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #315
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
FORD XR8 N/A - 45k
FPV GS S/C - 55k

++++ FORD G8E N/A - $61,863 drive away.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #316
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I have a XR8 and love the nameplate but I am also very found of the GS nameplate and it's heritage. I am glad Ford/FPV re-introduced it.

At the end of the day aslong as it fit's the bill to consumer's and they buy it what does it matter.
Were you alive when the original GS was released, and old enough to remember it? I'm certain there are quite a few people who wish to retain access a GS nameplate.

I've only ever known XR8's, and I'm 40. Perhaps that's why I'm hung up on it. It's not that I don't appreciate the FPV GS. It's that a Ford XR8 means more to me. I'd imagine a lot of guys and gals younger than me who are the same.

Here's another badge option for FPV - a lenticular FPV/Ford/GS/XR8 badge. It can be whatever you want depending on the angle you look at it....

Lukeyson
Old 03-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #317
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
The view up here on my high horse must just have less blinkers on it than down there in 'it can't be done' land!

Lukeyson

LOVE IT
Old 03-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #318
martyk54

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
ok, show of hands.

which would you buy?
FPV.

The XR8 would only be 5k less than GS once you optioned the lux pack. I want one.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #319
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Fpv...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 03-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #320
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Were you alive when the original GS was released, and old enough to remember it? I'm certain there are quite a few people who wish to retain access a GS nameplate.

I've only ever known XR8's, and I'm 40. Perhaps that's why I'm hung up on it. It's not that I don't appreciate the FPV GS. It's that a Ford XR8 means more to me. I'd imagine a lot of guys and gals younger than me who are the same.

Here's another badge option for FPV - a lenticular FPV/Ford/GS/XR8 badge. It can be whatever you want depending on the angle you look at it....

Lukeyson
No I wasn't but when I was growing up and 1'st started getting into Ford's it was the XW that did it for me and I loved the GS name, thus why my XW is a GS replica.
Like I have said though I love the XR8 name as I have one but to me mine is/was a Tickford version which to some has more relevance then the proceeding XR's but I am not hung up on it, evolution.
At the end of the day if I was to purchase another one the option is there for me, so what if it is called a GS, it's vertually the same vehicle execpt for,
It has a S/C now.
It has one of the world's best performing V8's.
It has alligned itself with a bussiness more known in the performance arena that has had great success (FPV/FPR).
It's still a Ford.
It's a G/S and to me that sound's great.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #321
prydey
Rob

Quote:

for the record, i'm about 5 years younger than you, and xr8 holds no value for me. its just another falcon model. having said that, so is the GS. what i'm saying is, i wouldn't let some badge stop me buying a car, if the car was what i wanted.

when you order your GS, just tell them to delete the stripes and badges. xr8 ones are a dime a dozen. you can put one on every panel.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #322
excopau

People should just agree to disagree. If we only had XR8 why isnt there an GS some people are never happy and still find an excuse to not buy one either way.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #323
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason why there is no XR8 is because hardly anyone bought them even when they were the same price as a XR6T and $20k cheaper than a GT.

Of all of the people crying for a shiny new XR8 how many have actually ever bought one before? New that is....

How many have bought a new falcon of any type before?

How many have bought a new car of any type before?

And how many just want to buy a second hand one in about 5 years for a grossly reduced price because some poor bugger has lost a fortune due to the terrible resale value?

I am fairly confident that when the decision was made for the 2012-2015 range of vehicles the opinions of people who don't buy new cars was not considered.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #324
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And that about sums it up, Flappist.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #325
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The reason why there is no XR8 is because hardly anyone bought them even when they were the same price as a XR6T and $20k cheaper than a GT.

Of all of the people crying for a shiny new XR8 how many have actually ever bought one before? New that is....

And how many just want to buy a second hand one in about 5 years for a grossly reduced price because some poor bugger has lost a fortune due to the terrible resale value?

I am fairly confident that when the decision was made for the 2012-2015 range of vehicles the opinions of people who don't buy new cars was not considered.
This.
XR8 thread 4125, CLOSED. Its a merry go round.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
Old 03-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #326
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
i haven't, as my employer didn't offer that option in the package i chose

Quote:
i have, two since 2005

Quote:
yes, three

i've seen those lines used many times, and they're generally redundant.

Quote:
as the daily, yes that's exactly what i'd like, however as the weekender i would give serious consideration to an xr8, it's as simple as that.

edit: just noticed the thread's closed, ah well.
Closed Thread