Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #61
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2015 Mustang Australian Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
But what would it cost to import that car (straight from the showroom floor) and convert it to RHD?
RHD argument is null & void now.

Freight NZ$4k (including insurance) Long Beach to NZ.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #62
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Why do people expect to pay the same as the US? Cars here have always been expensive and it wont change

Exchange rate
GST, Luxury car tax
Import prices
Smaller market
High wages and Cost of living
Australian compliance

Its not like Ford just price the crap out of it because they want to bury themselves.
A markup/adjustment between countries is expected. But on a global car thats sold for $30,000 in the states, a huge markup isn't cool. Theres something to be said for selling more for cheaper than selling bugger all at a high price. Stang is meant to be an affordable blue collar car, not a "I need a huge loan or an executive position at work" car.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #63
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
But what would it cost to import that car (straight from the showroom floor) and convert it to RHD?
They wont be converted though, built in RHD originally there goes alot of the current markup. Australia is a retardedly expensive country, everything is pretty much twice the cost of what it should be, means we get raped by anything not made here.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #64
GAFA

I know everyone is upset and want a cheaper price, but it's not just the Mustang that has a big difference in price between Australia and the USA. Have a look at the Kuga (built in Spain) and the Escape (built in the USA). I purchased a fully equipped 1.6t Titanium last December for $46000. A titanium Escape in the USA (there are some slight differences) is currently $35145 USD, so there is a difference of around $11000.

Add this $11000 to a fully equipped (what Australia is getting) USA Ecoboost with a list price of $37660 USD you end up with a price of $48660. Given this my guess on prices for the Mustang are,

Ecoboost Fastback: $49900 ( just to keep it below $50000 for marketing)
Ecoboost Convertible: $55900
GT Fastback : $58900 (to keep it below $10000 difference between the Ecoboost Fastback)
GT Convertible: $64900 (just over 2015/16 non fuel efficient luxury car tax threshold). Ford may even price just under it initially to stimulate sales.

People need to stop referring to a$28000-$30000 USD for the Mustang. Those prices are base model prices and Australia, Asia and Europe are not getting the base model. We are getting the premium (better equipped) so these extras put the car at between $35000-38000 USD for the Ecoboost Fastback.

Last edited by GAFA; 18-10-2014 at 08:15 PM.
GAFA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #65
PETE_XR6

Rip Off
PETE_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #66
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAFA View Post
I know everyone is upset and want a cheaper price, but it's not just the Mustang that has a big difference in price between Australia and the USA. Have a look at the Kuga (built in Spain) and the Escape (built in the USA). I purchased a fully equipped 1.6t Titanium last December for $46000. A titanium Escape in the USA (there are some slight differences) is currently $35145 USD, so there is a difference of around $11000.

Add this $11000 to a fully equipped (what Australia is getting) USA Ecoboost with a list price of $37660 USD you end up with a price of $48660. Given this my guess on prices for the Mustang are,

GT Fastback : $58900 (to keep it below $10000 difference between the Ecoboost Fastback)
GT Convertible: $64900 (just over 2015/16 non fuel efficient luxury car tax threshold). Ford may even price just under it initially to stimulate sales.

People need to stop referring to a$28000-$30000 USD for the Mustang. Those prices are base model prices and Australia, Asia and Europe are not getting the base model. We are getting the premium (better equipped) so these extras put the car at between $35000-38000 USD for the Ecoboost Fastback.
Then add stamp duty and GST plus other taxes and this is why it wont be the so called bargain it is the US.

Did people really, honestly expect the Mustang to be priced at bargain basement prices. If you did, then its not Ford that is stupid.

The Mustang will be Fords flagship model once it is released in Australia. What other company prices its flagship below that of other models in its range? NONE!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #67
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Then add stamp duty and GST plus other taxes and this is why it wont be the so called bargain it is the US.

Did people really, honestly expect the Mustang to be priced at bargain basement prices. If you did, then its not Ford that is stupid.

The Mustang will be Fords flagship model once it is released in Australia. What other company prices its flagship below that of other models in its range? NONE!
Well said.

What I find amusing is how some are decrying ford because of the pricing, which at the moment looks predictable enough, yet places converting the previous model and asking 100k plus for the base model was acceptable?

Possibly best ever mustang, and at 30-40% less than buying a converted previous model? No brainer isn't it?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #68
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Tempting, but at that price I'd feel ripped off a little.
Ideally the I4 would be around 45k and the GT coming in at 55k - 60k max.
Either hold on to my car a little longer or go another Euro.
Well Euros are overpriced here as well. You will get the same Euro for half the price in the US.

If they price the Gt Fastback for just under $60,000 I think that is pretty reasonable.
The convertible will have a premium over the fastback and after driving a convertible Mustang over in the US, I wouldn't bother with one here. It's cool driving down Sunset Blvd and Santa Monica beach with the roof off, but I wouldn't want to drive to work with the roof off.
In a few years hopefully I will be able to afford a second car as a daily drive. If the GT Fastback priced at 60k new, I'd look into a couple year old one.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #69
Rastas

Praying hard the greenback dosent continue to climb against our AUD.
Have a deposit down for an auto V8 but will withdraw it if offical price goes much over 60.
Hope your listining Ford.
Rastas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #70
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The ecoboost should be similar to XR6T in price, around 45k, and the GT should be priced around XR8 at mid 50's.

The whole idea of Mustang is supposed to be affordable performance, but the indicated prices don't show that at all. And what the hell good is One Ford if a mediumish 2 door V8 minus a supercharger is more expensive than a 4 door large car with that same engine plus a supercharger? Where are the economy of scale cost reductions, the cheaper labour costs etc being factoring into this? Its a price gouge.

Drop some spec if you have to and bring in a base model version of each, not the very top spec ones. Give people a choice. Its not like the base model versions are bare bones, they are still very well equipped.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #71
GAFA

Because the Australian Mustang's will be built on the same line as the RHD Mustangs that are going to Europe and Asia they are being built to a similar spec with only minor changes for each region. Europe and Asia want the higher spec Mustang, and unfortunately if Australia what's a production RHD Mustang than at this stage we are stuck with higher spec versions.

The numbers aren't there to build a base RHD Mustang just for Australia. Perhaps in a few years when they do a mid-life update Ford may look at other Markets that would allow a base RHD to be built and then we may see the base model in Australia.
Old 18-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #72
Focusfan

A couple of questions remain with this. Why are they only selling the up spec models here?. No V6 like USA either?. Would love to see
final prices in Europe for similar spec cars. Will again bet they are cheaper than here. Question is how much different.
Take a trip down memory lane to the Ford Capri they exported to the USA.
They had to up spec it with more safety features and was still sold
cheaper there than in Aus. Even after shipping and extra specs.
There was uproar here at the time and many buyers turned away from the Capri due to this reason.
Then they were lucky not to buy them anyway.
A lot of the taxes for import cars has been reduced or removed, not all but a lot has gone. Cant blame taxes for every dollar.
Focusfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #73
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee View Post
They wont be converted though, built in RHD originally there goes alot of the current markup. Australia is a retardedly expensive country, everything is pretty much twice the cost of what it should be, means we get raped by anything not made here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
RHD argument is null & void now.

Freight NZ$4k (including insurance) Long Beach to NZ.
The point I'm trying to make is that: fair enough, you can get the premo EcoBoost Stang for 32.6K (in the states) but if you were to import *that* car and convert it to RHD *yourself* it would cost an additional 4Kish for shipping, plus god knows how much for a RHD conversion.

For between 50 and 70K (plus on roads) you can place your order, and your local dealership will call you when your new car with full warranty is ready (as it left the factory) [in RHD]

Irrespective of what it does or doesn't cost Ford to provide you a RHD Mustang, consumers would've had to foot the bill for the conversion prior to the car going global.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #74
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look I think its quite simple from the responses on here.

>50K for the 4 cyl and people will look elsewhere due to the value obtained at the 40K price point these days.

40-45K people will consider the 4 banger

GT >50K may sell, but at 70K people will be cross shopping against other equipment.

In both cases pricing above those points means mustang will then be cross shopped against other equipment, some of which offers better bang for your bucks and a proven better residual.

So Ford can't be too greedy here. To think that it will be cross shopped with only a couple of cars is fallacy given the myriad of choice in the market.

At 40-45 Mustang would be on my list against a Gti or rs265. At 50K it wouldn't.

If I was spending 70 for a GT, I'd be comparing against golf r, s3 and a45 if i could stretch. Could argue the practicalities of those latter 3 make it easier to get past the missus.

Pricing is going to be incredibly important for sales beyond the first 6 months to keep demand strong.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 12:55 AM   #75
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Well at 50 plus any hope I had of convincing the mrs in buying a 4 cyl mustang as the runabout so to speak is out
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #76
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm trippin that a Kuga is that expensive.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #77
GAFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
I'm trippin that a Kuga is that expensive.
That's what it costs to get a car with adaptive cruise, lane keeping, auto park etc, etc.
Old 19-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #78
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Give people a choice.

Ford, give people a choice???

Is this the same Ford whose founding father said...

'Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black.'

No, we'll just get whatever they want to build.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #79
Tbm1121

Compare the mustang eb to some other cars though guys, Toyota 86 gts is high 30's, its non turbo, very limited interior space and a very good seller, the mustang has better performance, our model will be the upspec versionso higher level of fit out, better size and more features, all of this is what makes it a mustang, but it's not cheap to do either,
Start to do the math as well,
50k will be the manual Eco fastback, and 70k would be the auto 5.0 drop top,
If you look at the 370z rrp the drop top is a9k premium over the coupe, using this math your auto fastback is now 61k, manual a couple thousand cheaper, ford are competing against the likes of the 370z, they will price it where it should be, it is not being pushed as a high volume selling car, it is going to be filling the sports car void that we are left with once falcon finishes.
Tbm1121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #80
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The Toyota 86 is bleeding sales. It is down something like 40% this year.

Last edited by naddis01; 19-10-2014 at 09:33 PM.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #81
Tbm1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
The Toyota 86 is bleeding sales. It is down something like 40% this year.
Still outselling the mx5, the 370z, and the brz.

Mustang is coming to try to create market share for a small segment, it's better value than a 370z and has more go and better tech. Ticking all the right boxes, looks great,
Tbm1121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #82
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

If it continues to lose sales like it is it will probably be outsold by the Hyundai Veloster next year.

I see the same thing happening with the Mustang with the suggested pricing. There will be the initial rush from those that must have a Mustang then there will be a massive slide in sales. But then I guess that happens with most coupes.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #83
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah but the Mustang has four distinct models, Toyota 86 has one
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #84
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Mustang V6 is cheaper than the Scion 86 in the US by a couple of grand, and the 86 is 30k here.

If Toyota can get the 86 so cheap here than Ford have zero excuses to get the Mustang here at competitive prices.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #85
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Well Euros are overpriced here as well. You will get the same Euro for half the price in the US.

If they price the Gt Fastback for just under $60,000 I think that is pretty reasonable.
The convertible will have a premium over the fastback and after driving a convertible Mustang over in the US, I wouldn't bother with one here. It's cool driving down Sunset Blvd and Santa Monica beach with the roof off, but I wouldn't want to drive to work with the roof off.
In a few years hopefully I will be able to afford a second car as a daily drive. If the GT Fastback priced at 60k new, I'd look into a couple year old one.
Sorry, I should have explained, I can get a good discount on a particular Euro right now, very small change over but was holding off to see what the Mustang was offering. May be next one.
Old 19-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #86
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Because the Australian Mustang's will be built on the same line as the RHD Mustangs that are going to Europe and Asia they are being built to a similar spec with only minor changes for each region. Europe and Asia want the higher spec Mustang, and unfortunately if Australia what's a production RHD Mustang than at this stage we are stuck with higher spec versions.
Do they really want the premium spec or is Ford scared to send Mustang to Europe with the bare bones equipment?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #87
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Why do people expect to pay the same as the US? Cars here have always been expensive and it wont change

Exchange rate
GST, Luxury car tax
Import prices
Smaller market
High wages and Cost of living
Australian compliance

Its not like Ford just price the crap out of it because they want to bury themselves.
True, but look at some of the base price for Jeeps. Not overly expensive. I wonder how their prices compare to American models? What percentage are they over by?

Agree, too pricy, would have been nice to see low spec cars start at $40k then top out at 60k.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #88
Focusfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
True, but look at some of the base price for Jeeps. Not overly expensive. I wonder how their prices compare to American models? What percentage are they over by?

Agree, too pricy, would have been nice to see low spec cars start at $40k then top out at 60k.
Take a look at the Patriot price in USA.
http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/patriot/...ed&color=black
Starts at $16,000.
Focusfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #89
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusfan View Post
Take a look at the Patriot price in USA.
http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/patriot/...ed&color=black
Starts at $16,000.
26k here aren't they?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 01:11 AM   #90
GAFA

Dodge Journey R/T price Australia: $41196
Dodge Journey R/T price USA: $27240
That's a $13956 difference for the same car made in Mexico. So it's not just Ford that marks up the prices in Australia.