Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #61
prydey
Rob

Default Re: NSW Cyclists Fined $1.33m in 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
Boys boys boys...read my post properly and you will see I'm not knocking a good bike for competition use or for travelling serious distances,it's in the second line you both quoted...and for the record my daily is an older car that's worth virtually zero. If you "need" your Lycra and multi thousand dollar bikes to feel better then go for it, just don't waddle about in front of me in the cafe...puts me right off eating my poached eggs and snags
I realise you are mostly having a light hearted dig, which is fine, but I can't help feel there is a hint of jealousy to your comments

I wonder if you begrudge fat people that decide to buy some Nike trainers to go for a run, rather than some dunlop kt26's?

It does highlight that there are people out there who don't like cyclists simply because they are cyclists, nothing more, nothing less.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #62
xr8cam

Anyone serious about losing a gut and developing aerobic fitness is wasting their time on a pushbike unless their wanting a handy excuse to dress up in fancy clothes and spend a lot of money. Sounds like golf to me.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2016, 11:07 PM   #63
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
Anyone serious about losing a gut and developing aerobic fitness is wasting their time on a pushbike .
And another person showing their ignorance. You could not be more wrong if you tried.
5 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2016, 11:26 PM   #64
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I realise you are mostly having a light hearted dig, which is fine, but I can't help feel there is a hint of jealousy to your comments

I wonder if you begrudge fat people that decide to buy some Nike trainers to go for a run, rather than some dunlop kt26's?

It does highlight that there are people out there who don't like cyclists simply because they are cyclists, nothing more, nothing less.
Your right...mostly a light hearted dig....and perhaps jealousy,if I had the legs for Lycra,maybe I'd see things differently

Begrudge fat people who buy good trainers? Certainly not,as long as they are putting them to good use and having a go then im 150% behind them...but,if they wear all the good gear and just sit about and drink diet coke then all the gear in the world obviously isn't going to help them. Same as all the gear and bikes aren't going to help you if you only ride it to a coffee shop and sit there for an hour and drink latte's.

Highlight people who don't like cyclists because they are cyclists? Not me,I actually have respect for anyone who tries to better themselves,physically or mentally..I just hate posers,be it on bikes,in the gyms or on Harleys so please don't take anything I say as being directed simply because they are cyclists....I just can't stand floggers

Last edited by XByoot; 26-11-2016 at 11:33 PM.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2016, 11:39 PM   #65
prydey
Rob

Quote:
.I just hate posers,be it on bikes,in the gyms or on Harleys so please don't take anything I say as being directed simply because they are cyclists.
how do you judge if they are posers? do you ask them how many km's they have done?

this does seem quite an elitist attitude. there is nothing wrong with someone buying a nice bike and the proper attire to ride it. lycra serves a purpose. it has nothing to do with trying to look like a pro. you wouldn't go hiking in high heels, or swimming in a tracksuit, or go running in thongs etc etc so why critisize those who wear cycling specific clothes for cycling??

i ride a reasonable amount. ave about 6000km/yr give or take. i've ridden in every scenario you can think of. ironically, the only time i have been abused, is when the motorist is the only other person on the road. most times if you challenge them to stop for a discussion, they prefer to speed off in their 2 tonne metal safety shell.

i rarely frequent cafe's as well. if i do, its because i'm a long way from home and need some fuel.
This user likes this post:
Old 26-11-2016, 11:50 PM   #66
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Elitist?? Seriously? Not sure where your getting that one from old mate.Nothing I'm saying is about not wearing appropriate gear for whatever sport you are participating in...wear the gear when your doing the activity and can put it to good use..."clothes do not maketh the man"...or the athlete . I'm off to the shops now,better slip on my cleats and Lycra !!
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 12:15 AM   #67
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Anyone serious about losing a gut and developing aerobic fitness is wasting their time on a pushbike unless their wanting a handy excuse to dress up in fancy clothes and spend a lot of money.
This is the silliest thing I've read in a very long time. Cycling burns a lot of calories and is therefore a great choice of exercise for anyone wanting to lose weight. I can't believe anyone would be ignorant (or arrogant) enough to state that cycling is a waste of time.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2016, 12:18 AM   #68
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Elitist?? Seriously? Not sure where your getting that one from old mate.
mainly because you appear to pass judgement on certain types of people without knowing any facts about them.

when you put people down, all you are really doing is elevating yourself. like i said... elitist.

i'm not saying you are, just that some of your comments appear to come across that way. i accept that on a forum where its just words on a page its easy to get the wrong idea.

for the record, i would guess that 100% of forum members who are cyclists are not the types of cyclists that the 'anti' crowd are referring to. most do try to do the right thing. you don't see them because they tend to blend in when obeying the laws. its the law breakers that stand out, regardless of mode of transport.

i witnessed a car driver blatantly ignore a red light today on my way home from work. should i label all car drivers as red light runners? its the same argument.

and for the record, i'm not having a crack at anyone. i cycle, so don't mind discussing the subject. that is all.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2016, 03:28 AM   #69
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cycle on the road for fun, not for exercise, though of course I get some. The freedom and connectivity to the machine, I ride fixed gear, is very enjoyable, I race at the track on same type if bike, because I enjoy it, not because I want to improve myself. And why not, why must a café cyclist improve themselves by flogging themselves for miles.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #70
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Not a fat guy in good trainers. But if he dressed in similar to Usain Bolts leotard to go for a jog then there'd be just as much begrudging from anyone surely.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #71
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Not many road cyclist use a 1 piece aero suit either which would be a similar comparison

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #72
Dave1966

Quote:
I wonder if you begrudge fat people that decide to buy some Nike trainers to go for a run, rather than some dunlop kt26's.
Calling peopel fat makes you sound like a right little Pratt budd. All shapes and sizes here show respect
Dave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #73
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1966 View Post
Calling peopel fat makes you sound like a right little Pratt budd. All shapes and sizes here show respect
And denial is a river in Egypt....
Old 27-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #74
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Anyone serious about losing a gut and developing aerobic fitness is wasting their time on a pushbike unless their wanting a handy excuse to dress up in fancy clothes and spend a lot of money. Sounds like golf to me.
You obviously never ridden a bike hard - cyclists are at very top of aerobic fitness tree . I focus on non aerobic cycling discipline but participate in some crits for fun , you should try it :-)
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #75
Dave1966

Quote:
And denial is a river in Egypt....
I bet ya swim there a fair bit budd
Old 27-11-2016, 11:01 AM   #76
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1966
I bet ya swim there a fair bit budd
Nope. Fat people exist. I was using the term in a generic sense, not as a personal insult to anyone.

ironic that you feel it ok to throw insults at cyclists though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1966 View Post
All shapes and sizes here
so when you make this comment, what were you meaning by it? you have an issue with the word 'fat' but its ok to say 'all shapes and sizes'?

righto then.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #77
prydey
Rob

driving to work the other day, i came up behind a cyclist who wasn't wearing cycling specific clothing. I'm guessing he was a plumber i would much preferred he had a decent pair of bib knicks on as opposed to what he was pointing at the traffic coming behind him.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #78
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
You obviously never ridden a bike hard - cyclists are at very top of aerobic fitness tree .
Elite cyclists are... the 50yo stopping for a latte and a selfie every 30min definitely isn't.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 11:12 AM   #79
prydey
Rob

it would appear that there are those that feel wearing lycra (or similar) is for the sole purpose of trying to be something we are not.

the fact is, cycling clothing is the most comfortable thing to wear on a bike, esp if you ride for more than an hour or so. Just because you drive past in your big metal box with your nose in the air and see a cyclist having a coffee at a cafe, doesn't mean that is all they do. for all you know, they are having a quick drink before heading home from their 6 hour ride.

so much prejudice in this thread.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #80
Dave1966

Quote:
Nope. Fat people exist. I was using the term in a generic sense, not as a personal insult to anyone.

ironic that you feel it ok to throw insults at cyclists though...

so when you make this comment, what were you meaning by it? you have an issue with the word 'fat' but its ok to say 'all shapes and sizes'?

righto then.
Budd yer havin a back pedal there,where did I throw insults at cyclists. All shapes and sizes is what we all are just showing respect. I Think you need a hug
Old 27-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #81
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah but how many of the fines actually get paid.Bikes have no identifying number plates and riders don't have to carry ID.So dodgy name and address and see you.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 12:58 PM   #82
Pis-ton broke
Banned

some cyclists are just asking for an accident.out my way on semi rural rds, speed limit is 100kms. and bike riders riding in the middle of the lane, others in there group were to the side of the road, but not this little bunch. holding up people. bloody retards.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #83
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
some cyclists are just asking for an accident.out my way on semi rural rds, speed limit is 100kms. and bike riders riding in the middle of the lane, others in there group were to the side of the road, but not this little bunch. holding up people. bloody retards.
Same thing out here, rural roads, single lane either direction, 100km/h speed limits.

Its fine with the odd couple of cyclists out and about, but when they ride in packs they're the ones going to come off second best in any sort of accident.

You can be totally in the right.

But you'll still be 6 feet under
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 04:03 PM   #84
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I won't ride my bike on the roads out in the sticks where I live. Unfortunately it isn't safe enough because of all the unlicenced and licenced drivers driving unroadworthy registered and unregistered vehicles who don't appear to care about anything except themselves and their next beer/joint.

The only safe place for me to ride is along the Rail Trails.

I smile every time I see the local copper "having a chat" with them but I don't think they've racked up a million in fines yet...
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #85
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
it would appear that there are those that feel wearing lycra (or similar) is for the sole purpose of trying to be something we are not.
I hate lycra, it should be reserved for the racers only.

But I also have a modern (racing) bike. They are a form of torture with the excuse for a seat that they come with. Sensibly they call it a saddle rather than a seat. Anyway it is impossible to ride it for longer than 10 minutes without feeling like your backside is on fire - they are painful.

The only way to relieve it is with lycra riding gear which has pig skin padding built into the backside.

So yes I wear lycra shorts riding my bike, BUT I wear them under a pair of tracksuit pants so I don't look like a d******d. It can always be hidden...some people choose not to.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #86
prydey
Rob

When I first started riding I swore I would never wear lycra. Now I won't ride without it. I quickly learned not to buy the cheap stuff either. I don't care what it looks like. I'm not that proud. It's about function. Comfort, sweat wicking and allowing full movement without restriction. Mind you if I go for a ride it's rarely less than 30km as a minimum.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2016, 06:11 PM   #87
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Mind you if I go for a ride it's rarely less than 30km as a minimum.
that sounds like heaps.

if i took up riding, would it blast my belly fat away?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #88
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
You sir really take the cake heaven forbid people want to get fit and shed some kilos and enjoy themselves. Sounds like you have never ridden a bike in your life.
Golf and cycling yeah they are closely related w4nker

I dont even do it for the fitness, i do it for the enjoyment. Fitness is a by product.

Love a good cyclist bashing thread, makes my day really.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 27-11-2016 at 06:27 PM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #89
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best bike shorts I ever bought were regular looking shorts that had padding around the groin area. Makes the seat 100 times more comfortable.
Regular shirt and shorts are my clothing of choice when riding. It's been working for me for the last 20 years, so I can't see it changing.

I hate wearing a tight fitting t-shirt, no way in hell I will ever wear lycra. I don't care how comfortable or aerodynamic it is.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #90
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Best bike shorts I ever bought were regular looking shorts that had padding around the groin area.
Mountain bike shorts.