Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #91
billsta

Well looks like the gts-r didn't eventuate.
I know there's some ppl upset about the Cobra, but that's better than HSV's biggest moment in 20 years sales pitch with a Clubsport sold in a shocking gold colour.
You should see the LS1 forums they are absolutely heart broken
Old 11-10-2007, 03:47 PM   #92
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsta
Well looks like the gts-r didn't eventuate.
I know there's some ppl upset about the Cobra, but that's better than HSV's biggest moment in 20 years sales pitch with a Clubsport sold in a shocking gold colour.
You should see the LS1 forums they are absolutely heart broken
Where you read this? Looks like I was right if this is true, it won't be a production car
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #93
billsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
Where you read this? Looks like I was right if this is true, it won't be a production car
The HSV sight had a count down which finished 10am this morning with HSV expected toannounce the GTS-R though this hasn't happened and they feel more cheated than the ford boys getting a GT-HO as a stripe package...
Old 11-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #94
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
The HSV sight had a count down which finished 10am this morning with HSV expected toannounce the GTS-R though this hasn't happened and they feel more cheated than the ford boys getting a GT-HO as a stripe package...

Maybe HSV are playing a game with their enthusiasts : ....

They might still announce the GTS-R......
Old 11-10-2007, 04:12 PM   #95
billsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Maybe HSV are playing a game with their enthusiasts : ....

They might still announce the GTS-R......
I guess we'll have to wait and see.......though no news at this stage...it's now or next year.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #96
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
10am was the start time for the Sydney motorshow. Did they release anything there?
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 05:09 PM   #97
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They got a 20th ann HSV Clubbie. Sandstorm paint and waht looks to be a black stripe on the side. Nothing special. And the Maloo.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #98
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did say it was just the ute and the anniversary car...., don't hold your breath for anything else...

Old 11-10-2007, 06:03 PM   #99
3vXT

Christmas day, 5pm.
If Santa hasn't shown up yet, he's probably not gunna.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #100
BadMac
I still have both eyes

The GTS-R is timed for release at Melborne, it will coincide with Orion release. Its HSV's way to dull some of the press about FPV Orion. Yes I thought that might have showed a concept today, then a release ready one next year for delivery in mid 2008. But it is going to happen. It will be limited and at this stage a one off (ie not a new engine for the GTS etc ongoing).

Holden will also release its Senator Sports wagon at the same time (the SMS one is a concept with some features which won't make production, like E85, big brakes, etc). Also to dull the Orion press.

When did Fords marketing department get recruited by HSV, BIGGEST moment. BIGGEST letdown more like.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #101
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Christmas day, 5pm.
If Santa hasn't shown up yet, he's probably not gunna.
He hasn't for HSV fanatics.... atleast in Sydney.

They unveiled the HSV Maloo, 20th Anniversary Clubsport and the Commodore "Sports Wagon".
5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #102
majin_andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Or 125 XF's and have 12,125kw in your back paddock
LOL!!!
majin_andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 06:44 PM   #103
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO_SP
He hasn't for HSV fanatics.... atleast in Sydney.

They unveiled the HSV Maloo, 20th Anniversary Clubsport and the Commodore "Sports Wagon".
It did redefine what Biggest moment in 20 years means though.

I get the feeling that HSV are losing there marketing edge, the FPV (stripe sticker and badges) are more appealing at present. I saw a 40th Aniverary today and they are damn nice. Can't wait to see a Cobra.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #104
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can tell you this "alleged" GTS-R is FAR from a done deal.... in fact id say its likely hood is swaying the other way... time will tell, and things have a habbit of being "on again, off again"...

Old 11-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #105
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMac
It did redefine what Biggest moment in 20 years means though.

I get the feeling that HSV are losing there marketing edge, the FPV (stripe sticker and badges) are more appealing at present. I saw a 40th Aniverary today and they are damn nice. Can't wait to see a Cobra.
Yeah but we bring this on ourselves a bit by believe everything supposed people in the know like to proclaim.

I have known and have said for a while the LS3 wouldn't be in the maloo but for one reason or another people really expected to see that motor hit the streets this year.

I don't think there is any doubt that HSV are testing the LS7, motor mag come up with the idea it’s the lead for the anniversary print a retraction of sort but the horse has bolted.

No marketing was going to un-ring that bell. The biggest moment was achieving 20 years in business. I think the punters have really lost sight of what E series has cost HSV and the time required for that model to be in service to see the required return. We are our own worst enemy when it comes to expectations. We take an inch and read a mile into it.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2007, 10:00 PM   #106
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Yeah but it wasn't me or Motor that put up a web site with a countdown to the biggest moment in 20 years. Even if Motor hadn't spoiled their moment, a CamryR8 and the new Maloo was really streetching the "biggest moment". I mean they had Maloo, its just the VE one and as for the 20th Ed R8, they could have at least choosen a colour that appealed to people under 70.

And in terms of costs, yes the E Series is their biggest investiment yet, but HSV have now had 12 months of month on month record sales. They can't rest and count the cash as they need to keep the desire running, the buyers are spoilt for choice. When you win a buyer from a Euro its good to give them a reason to upgrade early, rather than waiting for them to shop around ie HSV need to keep building aspirational models. I suspect that because Ford/FPV don't have much in the way of competition at present (the special editions were always going to sell well and nothing HSV could do would change that).

HSV may just be keeping their powder dry. I imagine 1st quarter next year we will see GTS-R (at least a concept even if it doesn't finally make it on sale) and a Senator Wagon. Both will compete well with FPV's Orion offerings (at least with the faithful and likely with some new converts as well).
Old 11-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #107
HSE2

You mean 12 months of record sales of a product that was reduced in cost and rationalised, on top of the largest bill HSV have had to find, on top of the ongoing engineering cost of export and future products that still fall within the E Series title.
Yeah I can see how that would fly.
HSV knew what they were talking about, people just read too much into the situation. They did the same thing at the 10 year mark or very similar. History does repeat. Does HSV have a tradition of celebrating achievements or producing limited run models that are a more than just cosmetics? I can’t recall any so for me this is about what any reasonable person would have assumed them to produce.
Seeing as we are basically just 4 months away from the MMS the fact the HSV couldn’t show the GTS-R in concept form as part of their 20 year celebration might be cause for fans to keep a lid on it.
Once bitten twice shy. Either way they did turn 20 and have been very successful at doing so yet people seemed to have missed the point. Happy Birthday HSV. The current market leadership is well deserved but hopefully coming to an end in the not too distant future.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #108
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spyshot of GTS-R - the biggest moment in 20 years of HSV

Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 12:09 PM   #109
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Seeing as we are basically just 4 months away from the MMS the fact the HSV couldn’t show the GTS-R in concept form as part of their 20 year celebration might be cause for fans to keep a lid on it.
Once bitten twice shy. .
Exactly.. you wont see anything more from them till its concrete, if it ever happens... the media will allways speculate based on rumour or what's in GM's parts book, but they won't want to be seen as "crying wolf...".

Old 12-10-2007, 12:11 PM   #110
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Spyshot of GTS-R - the biggest moment in 20 years of HSV

hahahaha ROFLMAO
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #111
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
hahahaha ROFLMAO
And that's not a dig at HSV (well maybe it is)

Come on HSV - prove me wrong!
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #112
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I love the spy shot Dave, and Congrats to HSV for building the most environmentally sound car around, uses no energy what so ever.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #113
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Going off this article, it seems there's a few hurdles for HSV to overcome before the 7.0 is fitted to VE...

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2852556.aspx

Words - Joe Kenwright

Holden's export success may kill premium HSV model

It was no surprise to Carsales Network readers that there was no HSV GTS-R 427 on display at this year's Sydney motor show despite firm predictions elsewhere.

HSV still refuses to acknowledge any existence of the project and the company may now have good reason to remain silent.

As pointed out in early CN reports (more here) , the installation of the Corvette ZO6's special LS7 engine in a VE Commodore engine bay is fraught with difficulties. A special feature of this monster and very expensive 7.0-litre engine is its race-style dry-sump lubrication which requires elaborate plumbing and a large oil tank.

In the Corvette, installing the oil tank was relatively straightforward. It was a case of moving the battery from the right-hand rear corner of the engine bay, shift it to the boot then install the oil tank vertically beside the exit and entry points for the oil lines. In the VE Commodore, the engine bay is so tight that the battery has already been moved to the boot and the right-hand drive hardware for steering, brakes and clutch fill up the space that would otherwise be vacant in the Corvette.
One of the vital pre-conditions for keeping the cost down of a future GTS-R 427 was to install the LS7 engine on the Holden production line. There have been several practice runs to indicate that the engine itself presented no problems but installing the dry sump lubrication and its oil tank was not as easy.

It is believed that one of the few solutions open to HSV engineers was to install the oil tank ahead of the engine in the radiator area. To make room for the oil lines and the oil tank, it is believed that the radiator and intake system will need modifications, both major operations that had the potential to create disruptions on Holden's assembly line.

Since the GTS-R 427 project's evaluation stage was commenced, Holden is now committed to delivering a new left-hand drive Pontiac G6/G8 at export quality levels in US volumes that need to be flexible if sales take off. The possibility that the new VE Ute and Sportwagon will follow is also looking more likely.

In fact, export plans for these other body styles may already be more advanced than Holden is letting on publicly. This might explain the latest reports that Holden plant management is no longer willing to install the LS7 engine on the Holden assembly line.

This effectively sends the business case for a new GTS-R 427 back to square one. It means that HSV will have to accept turn-key Commodores with engines and transmissions installed which will then have rebuilt with the LS7 engine and its special gearbox -- doubling the handling and labour component. This also creates a problem with the disposal of the original engines and transmissions which are technically.

It is believed that HSV is now faced with assessing whether the project should proceed at all or whether they should simply install a supercharger on the coming LS3 6.2-litre engine or, perhaps, opt for a more 'pedestrian' wet-sump 7.0-litre engine. When the aftermarket Walkinshaw Performance hot-up arm has been set up to provide these options with fewer hassles, there seems little point.

However, there are persistent reports that there are those within HSV who want a platform for a serious racecar with some even talking about a Le Mans entry.

There is also a potential Middle East market for such a model badged as a CSV but would a dry sump be so critical in that market? It is only in the competition and exotic low-volume context that a GTS-R 427 with a dry sump LS7 engine would now make sense. But at what price and how many?

The only other wildcard, as happened with HSV's final GTO versions of the Monaro, is that Pontiac could decide it needs a special LS7-powered hero version of the G8. This could hand HSV a local version on a plate.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:17 PM   #114
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

50 Cent y0!

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...ge:ClassiePuff
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #115
Disciple
Banned

50 cent sure knows how to ruin a car with massive, pointless chrome rims.
Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #116
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Going off this article, it seems there's a few hurdles for HSV to overcome before the 7.0 is fitted to VE...

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2852556.aspx

Words - Joe Kenwright

Holden's export success may kill premium HSV model

It was no surprise to Carsales Network readers that there was no HSV GTS-R 427 on display at this year's Sydney motor show despite firm predictions elsewhere.

HSV still refuses to acknowledge any existence of the project and the company may now have good reason to remain silent.

As pointed out in early CN reports (more here) , the installation of the Corvette ZO6's special LS7 engine in a VE Commodore engine bay is fraught with difficulties. A special feature of this monster and very expensive 7.0-litre engine is its race-style dry-sump lubrication which requires elaborate plumbing and a large oil tank.

In the Corvette, installing the oil tank was relatively straightforward. It was a case of moving the battery from the right-hand rear corner of the engine bay, shift it to the boot then install the oil tank vertically beside the exit and entry points for the oil lines. In the VE Commodore, the engine bay is so tight that the battery has already been moved to the boot and the right-hand drive hardware for steering, brakes and clutch fill up the space that would otherwise be vacant in the Corvette.
One of the vital pre-conditions for keeping the cost down of a future GTS-R 427 was to install the LS7 engine on the Holden production line. There have been several practice runs to indicate that the engine itself presented no problems but installing the dry sump lubrication and its oil tank was not as easy.

It is believed that one of the few solutions open to HSV engineers was to install the oil tank ahead of the engine in the radiator area. To make room for the oil lines and the oil tank, it is believed that the radiator and intake system will need modifications, both major operations that had the potential to create disruptions on Holden's assembly line.

Since the GTS-R 427 project's evaluation stage was commenced, Holden is now committed to delivering a new left-hand drive Pontiac G6/G8 at export quality levels in US volumes that need to be flexible if sales take off. The possibility that the new VE Ute and Sportwagon will follow is also looking more likely.

In fact, export plans for these other body styles may already be more advanced than Holden is letting on publicly. This might explain the latest reports that Holden plant management is no longer willing to install the LS7 engine on the Holden assembly line.

This effectively sends the business case for a new GTS-R 427 back to square one. It means that HSV will have to accept turn-key Commodores with engines and transmissions installed which will then have rebuilt with the LS7 engine and its special gearbox -- doubling the handling and labour component. This also creates a problem with the disposal of the original engines and transmissions which are technically.

It is believed that HSV is now faced with assessing whether the project should proceed at all or whether they should simply install a supercharger on the coming LS3 6.2-litre engine or, perhaps, opt for a more 'pedestrian' wet-sump 7.0-litre engine. When the aftermarket Walkinshaw Performance hot-up arm has been set up to provide these options with fewer hassles, there seems little point.

However, there are persistent reports that there are those within HSV who want a platform for a serious racecar with some even talking about a Le Mans entry.

There is also a potential Middle East market for such a model badged as a CSV but would a dry sump be so critical in that market? It is only in the competition and exotic low-volume context that a GTS-R 427 with a dry sump LS7 engine would now make sense. But at what price and how many?

The only other wildcard, as happened with HSV's final GTO versions of the Monaro, is that Pontiac could decide it needs a special LS7-powered hero version of the G8. This could hand HSV a local version on a plate.
Haha knew that battery thing would bite them in the bum someday. Too bad for Holden/HSV. Thankfully, considering the MASSIVE space under the BF bonnet due to having to hold that LOOONG I6, we can fit anything in there, including truck engines (with a bulge though lol).

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #117
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't say im surprised by this, these projects are complex and expensive way beyond what most people will accept or acknowledge..
It seems like something with decent track credibility needs to be N/A and dry sump.... or just build a supercharged hot streeter and conceede it will have limited track appeal.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #118
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wont keep my hopes up for the next HO since ford seriously hasnt done a very good job at product differentiation.. even though the cobra is damn nice.. Its what everyone thinks it is, a way to get rid of shells really quick with a new set of stripes..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post