Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
RS500
RB 25 TURBO USER

Default Hsv Gts-r 2008

Not sure if this has been posted yet (as i hardly come on here nowadays) but HSV have a launched planned for the Melbourne Motorshow next march with a HSV GTS-R (limited numbers)

7L LS6 -- 380Kw

no mention on pricing just yet

sorry FPV but if you are doing a limited edition this is what you do not just a different style of stripe

RS500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #2
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is pretty old news. First news released over 4 months ago I think (from memory...) Don't know if it's got it's own thread though...

Pricetag is expected to be over $100k (i.e. even around $125k or so...)
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 12:46 AM   #3
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well GTHO has gotta eclipse this to be respectable. lol.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 01:19 AM   #4
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Not sure if this has been posted yet (as i hardly come on here nowadays) but HSV have a launched planned for the Melbourne Motorshow next march with a HSV GTS-R (limited numbers)

7L LS6 -- 380Kw
Pfft...that would have nothing on a GT-P running an 8psi PD blower... :

GM should really learn how to tune their engines and not just re-bore them every 6mths and brag about how much power they have.

Just to compare, the Merc AMG 6.2L makes the same power(and torque) as the GM 7.0L LS6...just pathetic if you ask me.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

easily done. HSV is releasing this earlier than expected so Ford has a strategic advantage; this engine is the biggest gun in the GM armory (for now) . Ideal candidates for the new HOey include the GT(40) engine (Phase V?) and the impending Hurricane/Boss ( Phase VI?) ; like how the XW had two different Phases with two different engines... The recent Bathurst Blue Wash has set the ideal climate to release a fire breathing,snarling beast. It has to be done meticulously and very well engineered though.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 02:09 AM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8

Just to compare, the Merc AMG 6.2L makes the same power(and torque) as the GM 7.0L LS6...just pathetic if you ask me.
And costs how much? Also with minor mods the LS7 is picking up an easy 100hp.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 03:11 AM   #7
kpcart
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
Pfft...that would have nothing on a GT-P running an 8psi PD blower... :

GM should really learn how to tune their engines and not just re-bore them every 6mths and brag about how much power they have.

pfft yourselft, you think you cant also mod the hsv???? you cant quote production car specs versus modded car specs, as anyone can modify anything to make it better then the next car. why dont you compare mercs and bmw engines to your ford engine?? huh?? its not just pathetic as you think, the numbers speak for themselves, and ford has a lot of work to do if they are to release a product to compete with the 7.0L HSV, and i dont think hsv cares about backyard jobs with 8psi blowers as that is not the market they are competing in.
kpcart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 03:15 AM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
pfft yourselft, you think you cant also mod the hsv???? you cant quote production car specs versus modded car specs, as anyone can modify anything to make it better then the next car. why dont you compare mercs and bmw engines to your ford engine?? huh?? its not just pathetic as you think, the numbers speak for themselves, and ford has a lot of work to do if they are to release a product to compete with the 7.0L HSV, and i dont think hsv cares about backyard jobs with 8psi blowers as that is not the market they are competing in.
Pfft back at ya, it's not really a production model. It's a special edition limited release.

I can think of a lot of other cars that are of a higher quality all round for 125k.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Couldn't care less, HSV don't deserve any pat on the back, how much work have they done on any of their engines since 2000... oh thats right pop the lid of the crate.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpcart
Ford aren't doing too bad considering that the Boss 290 makes as much power as the VZ 6L HSVs with over half a litre less capacity.

This will be a hero car for HSV more so than a regular model since it's only limited numbers and bloody expensive!! But then thats how Holden's marketing machine works.

Let HSV play the power game I say. A car isn't just about power and straight line grunt, even a performance car. I'll wait to see the reviews (because there is no way I could afford one lol). Either way it's a good thing for the aussie auto industry.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pfft...

awesome.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure the HSV beancounters will sin bin the idea.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #13
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS500
sorry FPV but if you are doing a limited edition this is what you do not just a different style of stripe
The new Cobra comes with 302kw. Thats a bit more than a stripe package
Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 AM   #14
TUF270
BACK IN AN FG TURBO

i dont think this power war will ever stop....we will end up one day with stock xr8s and ss doing 10sec 1/4 miles straight outta the factory.....lol...400kws will be childs play...ha ha....
TUF270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #15
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF240
i dont think this power war will ever stop....we will end up one day with stock xr8s and ss doing 10sec 1/4 miles straight outta the factory.....lol...400kws will be childs play...ha ha....
I think the power war will stop, when the government caves in to certain parts of the media (ACA) calling for bans/restrictions on high powered vehicles

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #16
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
HSV don't deserve any pat on the back, how much work have they done on any of their engines since 2000... oh thats right pop the lid of the crate.
...and what exactly has FPV done? +12kw in how many years?

Does it really matter if HSV are building their V8's themselves or getting them elsewhere? They are still putting them in cars and selling them.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #17
TUF270
BACK IN AN FG TURBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
I think the power war will stop, when the government caves in to certain parts of the media (ACA) calling for bans/restrictions on high powered vehicles

tru and when we all move into more environmentally friendly cars...non petrol engines.....will be a sad day i think......instead of asking someone wat engine they got it will be like wat size batteries u got....lol :
TUF270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #18
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
Pfft back at ya, it's not really a production model. It's a special edition limited release.

I can think of a lot of other cars that are of a higher quality all round for 125k.
Is the car being built by HSV? I consider it to be a production car. Based on your logic the cobra falcon is not a production car either as it is a limited edition, so was the GT 40th anniversary edition, etc.

This HSV will be a monster, I don't expect anything from FPV to counteract this car, god how long did it take them to extract 12kw from the GT? HSV have it all over FPV in terms of V8 performance cars. Sad but true.

Problem with this place is too many people are clutching at straws, bagging HSV with really immature comments. Who cares where HSV get the engine from, it works and it works bloody well. What happens if (more so when) FPV start getting crate engines?? Wasn't the 5.4 in the Ford range a crate engine? If it works then why not use it, why waste money re inventing the wheel?? In FPV's it certainly was a waste.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:40 AM   #19
GT 4eva

Quote:
Couldn't care less, HSV don't deserve any pat on the back, how much work have they done on any of their engines since 2000... oh thats right pop the lid of the crate.

well said
GT 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #20
Angeldust

if u could buy a fiat 650 Niki with a ferrari engine, u guys would still complain

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #21
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
The new Cobra comes with 302kw. Thats a bit more than a stripe package
No that's 12kW more than a stripe package, what an effort only took them 5 years :togo:
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #22
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboz
Well GTHO has gotta eclipse this to be respectable. lol.

Amen!!

I dont want to see FPV spending millions marketing a car that will sell anyway, just spend that money on the vehicle and its running gear and make it tougher than tough...Show it at the Motorshow and you will sell a couple of hundred (even at 120k) without trying...Theres no excuse if they are revviving the HO badge!!
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 01:04 PM   #23
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If FPV had the opportunity to use the Ford GT engine, do you think they would say no? HSV are taking advantage of having access to these monster GM motors. I think that's smart.

I don't know why people have a crack at HSV for using LS* engines. It's a GM motor for god's sake.

Why spend money on R & D, when the engine's right there waiting to be picked up and slotted into a HSV?

Last edited by Ryan; 09-10-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #24
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
No that's 12kW more than a stripe package, what an effort only took them 5 years :togo:

Hsv have had 300kw's since 2000,so they have managed 7kw's in 7 years.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 01:20 PM   #25
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Everyone is complaining about how long it took FPV to get a 'mere' 12kw out of the BOSS, but take into consideration the 2 previous directors also had no intention of making FPV's super fast cars! When new director Ross Barrett took over a few months ago, he had proper plans for the near ill-fated company! As proof, he said in an interview with GoAuto that he wanted to be remebered as the man that brought the GTHO back!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #26
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didnt they got backwards at one stage too for the GTS to 297....?

Old 09-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #27
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Didnt they got backwards at one stage too for the GTS to 297....?
Yes they did. With the VY-VZ series.

KW just sells cars, and don't really mean anything.

Look at the SS. It's 270KW, and can beat a 290KW GT. (Sorry but it's the truth)

Also what about the XR6T beating the XR8 despite being 25KW down?
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
...and what exactly has FPV done? +12kw in how many years?

Does it really matter if HSV are building their V8's themselves or getting them elsewhere? They are still putting them in cars and selling them.
Ummmm, well they did deliver what is STILL the fastest accellerating full size motor vehicle in history of the Australian motor industry.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #29
3vXT

Who cares how much power next years GT or GTS or whatever is going to make?

All that matters is what you can walk into a dealer and buy right now.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #30
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

I couldnt realy give a toss about factory power levels,any performance car I purchase is going to be seriously modded.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post