Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 47 P Platers loose their licence every day in Vic.

I can't believe these numbers??!!
47 P Platers loose their license every day in Victoria, 17000 per year.. up 40% over the past 5 years.
Drink driving up 60% in past 5 years.? :

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...84-661,00.html

Old 25-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Wow, couldnt be many left surely????????
Old 25-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

haha we love our super fast put put non turbo cars rofl
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In that case...47 P-Platers should 'tighten' their license everyday, then it won't come apart.

Also means less tools on the road...mind you, I'm 25 and a P-Plater, but reckon I'm a lot more responsible than I was when I was 20 even...though that isn't saying much.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Young drivers needed to be encouraged to recognise the importance of safe driving.

"It takes some time to build up the skills and experience to be a safe driver," she said
Obviously the cops have zero tolerance and the P plates are a handy way of targetting the unsafe, because it's apparently a give that it takes time to build up the safety skills through experience..... something that isn't going to happen if they keep losing their licence because they aren't allowed the same accumulated points transgressions as a "safe" driver.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On any wet day you'd only have to park up at a busy intersection and every 2nd P plater that came around the corner would be fishtailing, they make it so easy for the cops. In WA thats careless driving and automatic loss of license for a P plater.
I'd like to see how many are still driving though with a suspended license, just about all I'd say.
Old 25-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Well they keep making the laws harder and losing your license easier, with operations focusing solely on P-Plater drivers what do you expect? There will be more P-Platers getting booked.

Everyone complains when P-Platers die on the road, now its because they lose their license, which does everyone prefer?
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #8
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I don't think anybody is complaining Airmon, simply stating facts.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I can't believe these numbers??!!
47 P Platers loose their license every day in Victoria, 17000 per year.. up 40% over the past 5 years.
Drink driving up 60% in past 5 years.? :

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...84-661,00.html
One of the reasons is the Government has reduced the 12 points for drivers to 5 points for P Platers, and one of their more stupid laws dictates that P Platers will loose 3 points for not displaying a P Plate, FFS, convince me of the life saving advantages of not having a bit of plastic in your front and rear windows.
Old 25-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
Trevor 57
is now there

I have an office in a TAFE in the trades area and day after day I sit there and listen to the apprentices take off from the carpark down the street doing wheelies, the local Police have woken up to this fact and sit there in unmarked cars and grab them one after the other.
Old 25-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #11
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
One of the reasons is the Government has reduced the 12 points for drivers to 5 points for P Platers, and one of their more stupid laws dictates that P Platers will loose 3 points for not displaying a P Plate, FFS, convince me of the life saving advantages of not having a bit of plastic in your front and rear windows.
Yeah I nearly got done for not displaying my p plates properly. Last time I check my windows were clear. Dumb rules I say
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #12
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

P plater/young driver thread overload..
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 08:13 PM   #13
Trevor 57
is now there

Don't read it then
Old 25-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #14
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I don't think anybody is complaining Airmon, simply stating facts.
Good point mate, I may have jumped the gun.
I just expected it to turn into another P-Plate bashing thread.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 08:21 PM   #15
rodderz

I think they should make the licensing system harder and focus just as much on driver training. If that makes it more expensive, so be it. The youngins have a goal to work towards and come out a better driver. Seems to work well in Europe.

The other thing with those stats is that the population has also grown quicker the last few years, so all numbers will be up
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #16
Marduk
BFII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
On any wet day you'd only have to park up at a busy intersection and every 2nd P plater that came around the corner would be fishtailing, they make it so easy for the cops. In WA thats careless driving and automatic loss of license for a P plater.
I'd like to see how many are still driving though with a suspended license, just about all I'd say.
That's why you drive to the conditions. You're going to fast if you're fishtailing. And it's not that hard to keep to the speed limit. But it would be nice if the cops would concentrate on full license drivers as much as they do on P Platers. No wonder so many P Platers get caught when the cops clearly ignore fully licensed drivers who blatantly break the law.
Old 25-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #17
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The stats show the last 5 years, i believe P plate drivers have less points to start with now than back then, if this is the case then naturally more would lose their license.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #18
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I reckon if I only had 3 or 4 points on my license I would have lost it 47 times over the years..Its not that much of a big deal is it?
I mean you'd loose it for any of a number of small offenses..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 09:42 PM   #19
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Dosent suprise me, out of my group of close mates (20 or so) only 3 of us didnt get a demerit point, and 9 lost their licences for drinking, speeding or through impound.
Most have learnt...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #20
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i always tread carefully when i'm driving. cant afford to lose my license. most of my mates have lost points or license, and most for little things. one because his new green p's fell off, others for 5 k's over.

one was an idiot and got caught racing, so i dont blame anyone but him for losing it
castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #21
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
The stats show the last 5 years, i believe P plate drivers have less points to start with now than back then, if this is the case then naturally more would lose their license.

That statement is very true . When i was a p-plater i was done doin 110kph in a work ute . that was not my usual car . Any way was done for speeding and forgot to put my p-plate up that was 6 points total. Bang license was lost.
But to say 60% of drink driving is a disgrace. An clearly a reflection of the attitude of teenagers and have any noticed this while hiring them .
I am not trying to get on a high horse because i was no angel at that age but alot of these you fell'as i meet would roll me when it comes to doing stupid things
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 10:03 PM   #22
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

So how many are driving without a license, uninsured because they need to get to work? I did see a figure not long ago on the number of people driving without a license. In Vic over the past 5 years has increased by a stupid amount ..... just can't recall. Causes another problem out there and I think is a bit more serious one!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 05:29 AM   #23
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didnt they extend the length of P plates in Australia? That would have something to do with it. They could make everybody a P-plater and the stats would go up higher again. If they took away P-plates, then there would be zero P-plate license suspensions.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 09:27 AM   #24
Tobey
BF Ute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Didnt they extend the length of P plates in Australia? That would have something to do with it. They could make everybody a P-plater and the stats would go up higher again.

A few years back they put up the P plate length to three years. But IIRC that was more than 5 years ago.

Its stupid things like having your P's on the out side of the car (which makes them more susceptible to falling off) that makes it so easy to loose your license. On a long weekend if you have no P's on your license is gone. Bit stupid really.

Quote:
If they took away P-plates, then there would be zero P-plate license suspensions.
It seems a bit stupid that they need something like P plates to be displayed. I can understand L's, but by the time you finish your L's you shouldnt be able to be singled out from the rest of the drivers. This just allows P Platers to be targeted.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #25
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wonder what the percentage is of those p-platers that lost their license through - not having a p-plate displayed or silly things like that?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #26
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
That statement is very true . When i was a p-plater i was done doin 110kph in a work ute . that was not my usual car . Any way was done for speeding and forgot to put my p-plate up that was 6 points total. Bang license was lost.
True. When I was a p-plater I got 2 fines. First was failure to give way which carried 3 demerit points, and 1 for doing 115 in a 100 zone. I got 1 point for that. Now I was allowed to get a maximum of 12 points back then (2002), so my 4 points was nowhere near the limit. I haven't had a point since.

These days, if a p-plater does the same 2 incidents, they'd lose their license. 15kph over now carries 3 points, not 1, and the limit is now only about 4 or 5. So basically some offenses deserve instant loss of license but too many p-platers are losing their license for trivial matters.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #27
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Would love to see the percentage breakdown as to what the loss of licence is for..

+ 1 for Displaying P Plates is a joke.. Maybe the first year but 3 (Or is it 4 Now in Vic?).. we all know what they are really there for.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #28
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its 4 years now in Victoria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #29
balthazarr

I've got the flame suit ready...

Maybe the reason so many P platers are losing their licence is because it's too easy to get a licence in the first place?

I agree, a breakdown of the offences would be good - though I suspect that the majority would be for minor offences, so it would never be released.

I'm not in any way condoning drink-driving, but remember that 'drink driving' for a P plater means any alcohol reading... one drink after work means you can't drive for quite a while.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #30
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
I've got the flame suit ready...

Maybe the reason so many P platers are losing their licence is because it's too easy to get a licence in the first place?

I agree, a breakdown of the offences would be good - though I suspect that the majority would be for minor offences, so it would never be released.

I'm not in any way condoning drink-driving, but remember that 'drink driving' for a P plater means any alcohol reading... one drink after work means you can't drive for quite a while.
Talking to my driving instructor earlier this year he said that its been made harder, and goes for nearly an hour now. Instant fail if you go 1km/h over the limit in a 40 zone, need to do two low speed maneuvers now also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post