Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #31
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: In the market for a near new, just run in XC Cobra?

it is still an eye catcher and it appears to be in as new condition, it`s not another boring computer car with overly razor sharp steering.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
I’m just curious, why do people pay such an enormous amount of money for these old piles of junk (technically speaking when comparing to a new vehicle)?

I mean its supper slow, handles worse than an ice breaker, has 0 safety or fun features, 40 years behind on technology, and does not even look good at all???
I think we have an entry in the dumbest post of the year competition.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #33
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
a nice little Kia Rio...
Not possible.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #34
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I’m just curious, why do people pay such an enormous amount of money for these old piles of junk (technically speaking when comparing to a new vehicle)?

I mean its supper slow, handles worse than an ice breaker, has 0 safety or fun features, 40 years behind on technology, and does not even look good at all???
You forgot to mention, "Has no, or minimal pollution requirements." And as to why people pay so much money for them, it maybe that they are enthusiasts.

Probably not the best place to ask that question in that way.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #35
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Mate you are so going to get flamed for that.
Unless you have owned or driven one of these clunkers it's hard to describe. It gets into your blood and besides not every 3rd car at the lights or in the car park is as same as the bf, fg, vy that you're driving.
I gave a mate a lift in mine once and he said" How do you put up with all the engine noise and creaks and groans?".
I said "What creaks and groans, all I can hear is that V8".
As they become rarer the more they are worth, because people want something different, and if something goes wrong you dont have to hook it up to a computer, you get out a spanner and a screwdriver and fix it.

And how can you say it has 0 safety or fun features. They mostly have seat belts and as for the fun features well I feel sorry for you.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:39 AM   #36
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes I was expecting people to react this way but my question was of a serious nature ...

Yes I too like some old cars, but the reason why I like them is because they are a really cheap fun to be had, they cost next to nothing and with a few really simple mods can go very very fast ... to me this personally fills a purpose that for people with little money who want a quick car and don't care about anything else can buy an old japanese turbo import and by spending a few grand on mods, can get a very fun car that can be taken to a race track with lots of fun to be had ...

But spending 100K, 200K, 300K on a car that has absolutely no performance, quality, safety, features ... just sees silly as for this kind of money, one can buy a good brand new car ... (i'm excluding investors here who resell these cars later for profit)

Cars are not like Art (even if some people like to think so) they are designed and meant to serve a particular purpose (generally that is going from point A to B) ... As a car enthusiast i like performance, and if one car delivers more of it then naturally i will like it better ... but with these old cars I just don't get what the fuzz is all about ... for me its like the people who spend 100K on a slow as hell Harley bike, VS buying a brand new R1 for 20K and going 10 times quicker ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Mate you are so going to get flamed for that.
Unless you have owned or driven one of these clunkers it's hard to describe. It gets into your blood and besides not every 3rd car at the lights or in the car park is as same as the bf, fg, vy that you're driving.
I gave a mate a lift in mine once and he said" How do you put up with all the engine noise and creaks and groans?".
I said "What creaks and groans, all I can hear is that V8".
As they become rarer the more they are worth, because people want something different, and if something goes wrong you dont have to hook it up to a computer, you get out a spanner and a screwdriver and fix it.

And how can you say it has 0 safety or fun features. They mostly have seat belts and as for the fun features well I feel sorry for you.

Last edited by dimka100; 10-11-2011 at 12:45 AM.
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 02:15 AM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to each his own, there`s no doubt, technology has moved on 40 years and they may not be art to you or the next bloke, but the old saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the Cobra has some racing cred to it as well.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 02:29 AM   #38
fmc351
let it burn

Its collectible and some people just love them, it is worth whatever they will pay for it. Price seems high to me, but try finding another that original and with stuff all Kms on it. If this was a Ph III I'd love to see what it would go for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
to each his own, there`s no doubt, technology has moved on 40 years and they may not be art to you or the next bloke, but the old saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the Cobra has some racing cred to it as well.
Wasnt the Bathurst XC running XB era running gear. The XC's were choked with pollution gear and lost some HP. Or so I thought.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #39
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I had the money,it would be in my shed
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #40
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Makes you wonder thou, if these cars will be worth much as will the next generation be interested in them ? I didn't buy my 2 cars as an investment, probly just as well...........
Old 10-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #41
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wont comment on your first reply, i think many have,but this one i will

Quote:

Yes I too like some old cars, but the reason why I like them is because they are a really cheap fun to be had, they cost next to nothing and with a few really simple mods can go very very fast ... to me this personally fills a purpose that for people with little money who want a quick car and don't care about anything else can buy an old japanese turbo import and by spending a few grand on mods, can get a very fun car that can be taken to a race track with lots of fun to be had ...

But spending 100K, 200K, 300K on a car that has absolutely no performance, quality, safety, features ... just sees silly as for this kind of money, one can buy a good brand new car
Back when i was younger and as many others will know,you could buy XB GTs, XC Cobras, First generation monaros (gotta call them that for all the young people who never really knew a real monaro was a HK,HT,HG,not the commodore rubbish),could be had for a song
Then we had the big scrap boom, where anything and everything that was half dead was worth more at sims than to sell complete for cheap
But the younger generatin are reaping this by getting VN,VP, EB,EFs cheap
To say an old car can be done up cheap to go fast,i think the new XR6T will wipe the floor with just about anything old
But we dont buy the old stuff because they go like missiles and stop
There from a simple time, when computers didnt rule our lifes,and as mentioned above a few simple tools on the roadside would get ya running and on your way again

Now looking at prices of these collectors cars
GTHO are limited build as are XC Cobras,with each passing year theres less
Its called supply and demand
My dad sold his genuine Cobra in the early 80s and struggled to get 10 grand
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #42
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes I was expecting people to react this way but my question was of a serious nature ...

But spending 100K, 200K, 300K on a car that has absolutely no performance, quality, safety, features ... just sees silly as for this kind of money, one can buy a good brand new car ... (i'm excluding investors here who resell these cars later for profit)

Cars are not like Art (even if some people like to think so) they are designed and meant to serve a particular purpose (generally that is going from point A to B) ... As a car enthusiast i like performance, and if one car delivers more of it then naturally i will like it better ... but with these old cars I just don't get what the fuzz is all about ... for me its like the people who spend 100K on a slow as hell Harley bike, VS buying a brand new R1 for 20K and going 10 times quicker ...
You have your personal opinion, this does not make you right.

It does not make you wrong either.

Some people like old cars, others like stamps or shoes or old computers or whatever.

Two points:
1) Life is not a dress rehearsal.
2) The person who spends all their money on toys and the person who does not both have exactly the same amount of money and toys when they die....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #43
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

is it school holidays..??............
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #44
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

WOW...would make a great base for a Red Pepper GT Coupe replica......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #45
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

While I may not fully agree with what dimka100 said, I can understand some people thinking that way.

In 1984 I paid $6k for a 1973 XA 302 GS coupe and in 1986 bought a 1977 XC 351 GXL which was subsequently traded for an XD Ghia 6 cyl in 1988. Each of those cars I was glad to see the back of. The XA coupe in particular, every other week a new problem kept appearing and the rust was a major concern! Unlike jaydee said, it never got in my blood, in fact i was glad to see them go

To think I would have to pay a large sum of money to get the equivalent cars back doesn't make a lot of sense to me....However I do understand that supply and demand causes values to rise and there are people who want to relive their past, or that of their parents,,,Thats fine . I guess I'm just not that much of an enthusiast. These old Aussie cars from the 70's do have charachter I must admit, but at $130k, there's other things I'd prefer to do with my money.

Back on topic re: the Cobra for sale, I like his comment that it still smells like a new car. Even if a car has low kms and has been stored most of its life it will still lose its new car smell. The car is over 30 years old FFS and it will not smell like a new car !!

It will be interesting to see what it eventually sells for
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #46
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what i dont understand is how anyone can say that our unique aussie coupe dosn't look good !!!!
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 06:36 PM   #47
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
thats where we is.. peeps is getting cut...
peeps payed (tripping $$$) for old bombs....
GFC shizz is da leveller............
whingy sooky la la la's.. be lookings and buys.....
It would seem that for some, English isn't the language usually spoken at home .
Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #48
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
It would seem that for some, English isn't the language usually spoken at home .
lols.. a beer fuelled rant after nightshift....
Old 10-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #49
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Makes you wonder thou, if these cars will be worth much as will the next generation be interested in them ? I didn't buy my 2 cars as an investment, probly just as well...........
Interesting point...when I started driving (1982), young guys were after Toranas, Monaros, Chargers, and Falcon coupes. Older guys were after EH and HR Holdens, older Valiants, and XP Falcons. Guys in thier fifties (like a lot of our fathers) lusted after hotted up FJ and EK Holdens and SV1 Valiants.

People seem to lust after the cars that were around when they were kids or, more accurately, when they started driving and saw them new but couldn't afford them, and it seems to hold pretty much true today as well. How many young guys just starting out would want a VB Commodore or XD Falcon? I would, but I'm 46. Push that era back to the time of HQ's and XA/B/C Falcons, and even less young guys would be interested. They're more likely, if not into Jap imports, to try and track down Falcons and Commodores from around the late 1990's and very early 2000's.
It's sort of a sliding scale.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #50
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A Jag E type, Ferrari Dino, Porsche 356, Corvette, Lambo are not art????
I'll be buggered, must just be a car then.
How can you look at a Ferrari from the 60's and say it's not art, it's better than Rembrandt and you can sit in it, drive it, smell it and touch it.
Have a look at the Corvette I have in the For Sale column, better than a Mona Lisa hanging on your wall.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #51
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
A Jag E type, Ferrari Dino, Porsche 356, Corvette, Lambo are not art????
I'll be buggered, must just be a car then.
How can you look at a Ferrari from the 60's and say it's not art, it's better than Rembrandt and you can sit in it, drive it, smell, it and touch it.
Italian stuff especially from even cheap stuff has always straddled the line between art and a functional machine. I spent $3000 (yes, honestly) on a fully restored 1965 Vespa 50/N Sport...a tiny little cheap model that was the last model designed by the original Vespa designer, and was aimed at teenagers. In Italy at the time, you only had to ride something less than 50cc, be over 12 years old, and you didn't need a licence or registration. The little thing is a work of art, and even in places you can't see, it's been designed to look good.

I'm wearing a leather jacket and boots because I turned up to the rally on a BMW...not the rip-snorting hyper-powered Vespa...it came on a trailer to the show we were putting on. I choose to believe that the other guys off-frame were lauging with me, not at me...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #52
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got an old vespa here, the 2 seater variant
Havent a clue what to do with it or wether its worth doin ,beauty is in the eye of the beholder, even after many ales,it just doesnt become beautiful
Not to me anyway
Also got a 1971 honda motorbike with 9,000 genuine Ks
Again either aint worth much

I reckon the leathers are on to make that vespa look fast
Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #53
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #54
08ESE

hmm the numbers on the odo look a bit skew iff to me....
08ESE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #55
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC

Now looking at prices of these collectors cars
GTHO are limited build as are XC Cobras,with each passing year theres less
I agree with your sentiments except the statement above. There seem to be more GTHO's with each passing year!
GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 07:31 PM   #56
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgevlah
I agree with your sentiments except the statement above. There seem to be more GTHO's with each passing year!
Of the 300 originally sold only 600 remain registered......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #57
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Of the 300 originally sold only 600 remain registered......
every lunch table ive sat down at over the years... someones known someones thats owned one.........
Old 11-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #58
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Someone needs to report the dude for false advertising, no f'ng way this car has 9,000kms on the ODO as advertised. I've had a thorough look at all the pictures and it is quite clear for anyone that has even the slightest knowledge about cars that this thing is as dodgey as a Thai hooker and the owner is misrepresenting the kms.
It's got 9,066ms
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #59
mltezr

man that looks nice.
still would perfer to buy a 67 mustang though.
this is why im never going to sell my el xr6. in 20 years time you never know what will happen.
just look at the x series slowly increasing
mltezr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #60
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltezr
man that looks nice.
still would perfer to buy a 67 mustang though.
this is why im never going to sell my el xr6. in 20 years time you never know what will happen.
just look at the x series slowly increasing
Id pritty much guess what wont happen
They wont be worth alot
Early X series getting good money as there aint much around, late X series still worth nothin