Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you have a Manual OR Automatic licence
Manual 240 85.41%
Automatic 41 14.59%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-09-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
boss-290

Default Manual OR Automatic Licence

As the heading suggests. Do you have a manual licence or an automatic licence?

I have a manual one.

Old 17-09-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Got a manual licence now, but my Manual driving skills are craptacular.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
Holden Man

Had to replace the clutch in my SS 6 speed after 40'000 km....I have a manual lisence but probably dont deserve one :
Holden Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
alstar5

In NSW I was under the impression there is only one licence, manual and automatic. If you take your driving test on an automatic your only prohibited from driving a manual for 1 year (red P's), once your off, it's ok to drive both.
alstar5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

alstar5, yep thats correct. That is why i cant drive a Manual very well.

I still feel sympathy for that hired Hilux i drove last year.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:12 AM   #6
xr8man83
Grunt Files

i wouldnt waste your time with a auto licence i would hate to have one then find that dream car and then i cant get it cause i only can drive autos
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #7
TheChemist
Starter Motor

i learnt to drive manual the hard way, drove from melbourne to Sydney with my ex-fiancee, and that was the first time i EVER had driven a manual
TheChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:16 AM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

When I got my license there was no difference.. a license was a license (so I got it in an auto just to be lazy ) but get to drive manuals too.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
Twisted
Contributing Member

Manual, I actually have to concentrate when driving auto lol.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

[QUOTE=xr8man83]i wouldnt waste your time with a auto licence i would hate to have one then find that dream car and then i cant get it cause i only can drive autos[/
Exzactly wont I was thinking, I got a manual license but drive auto out:
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #11
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am very surprised that there are members here that can't drive a manual car. Maybe I am a little harsh, but in my opinion if you can not drive a manual competently then you should not be on the road.. It is a basic driving skill... My wife's 80 year old granny drive a manual,, How bloody hard can it be....

Note: I am not condoning driving auto's. I just seriously believe that all driving test's should be done in a manual gear box car.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #12
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No such thing as an auto or manual licence here in SA as far as I am aware. I just got a licence and it allows me to drive whatever car I feel like.
Old 17-09-2006, 12:26 PM   #13
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got my P's at 16 in a manual. In SA at the time if you went for your P's in an auto or manual you could drive both (I beleave it's still the same). At the time my folks hounded me to learn in manual & get my licence in a manual. (which I wasnt happy about at the time) But i am now.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 01:50 PM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I have a full licence which means that I can drive both, which is handy when my car is a manual.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #15
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Manuel/ Auto Car licence and Heavy Rigid Truck licence

Haven’t driven a Manuel car in 6 months
And haven’t driven any class of Truck in 2 years

And I get a cool maroon coloured border around my licence instead of the blue one LOL
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #16
Reign
Argg..

got a manual, used them on the farm when I was younger, (just 18 now :P) so I find it easy to drive them
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 02:40 PM   #17
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Manual.

When learning I think the way I was taught is probably the best way. Start off in an auto untill your confident and can drive in all sorts of traffic without getting flustered and know all the rules etc etc then move into a manual. That way you only really have to concentrate on just trying to get the manual driving down pat as you are already comfortable driving around.

Ive seen alot of people try and drive a manual the first time and really screw up as theyre trying to concentrate on doing 5 things at once. Bring out clutch and revs but not too high and not too low and looking for other drivers and everything else we just do automatically.

I have my manual licence. I drive a manual and wouldnt have it any other way. MY mate said to me one day "Ive become so lazy since having an auto. Its made my driving go way down hill" and Ive noticed the same. You dont concentrate as much cos you just put your foot down and go. Dont know if anyone sees it like this but thats my 2c.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 02:57 PM   #18
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

had to gt my auto license, didnt have a manual to practise in, except the old mans FJ40, the gears were soo far apart, pump the clutch then the brake, had to hold them in for exactly the right amount of time each or they wouldnt work...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #19
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i got a auto license but i drive a manual
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 03:20 PM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Seriously, if you cant get your manual licence then your very lazy, or have a good medicle excuse for it.

Anyone car steer a car, you should learn how to drive a manual, regardless if you buy an auto. It should be mandatory IMO.

What if there is an emergency, and the only car is a manual, and you cant drive it because you were to lazy to get the licence.You never know when you will need it.

My family always owned auto's, so I had six lessons in a manual car and then got my licence. Its easy as.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #21
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
No such thing as an auto or manual licence here in SA as far as I am aware. I just got a licence and it allows me to drive whatever car I feel like.
Indeed.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 03:58 PM   #22
Steffo
LPG > You

I'm on my Green P's, means I can drive whatever. I got my red P's on auto originally, then 3 months later did the test again in manual.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #23
bf tubs

yeah go the maroon licences so much better than blue get bouncers a bit confused too
 bf tubs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 04:04 PM   #24
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Seriously, if you cant get your manual licence then your very lazy, or have a good medicle excuse for it.

Anyone car steer a car, you should learn how to drive a manual, regardless if you buy an auto. It should be mandatory IMO.

What if there is an emergency, and the only car is a manual, and you cant drive it because you were to lazy to get the licence.You never know when you will need it.

My family always owned auto's, so I had six lessons in a manual car and then got my licence. Its easy as.
i fully agree. there should be no auto licenses unless you have 1 leg (or some other medical condition).
with road safety an important issue, how are people allowed to get an auto license and then be able to drive a manual with no previous experience when they get their full license?
if you get an auto license, that should be the only thing you can drive till you get a manual license.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 04:11 PM   #25
JD86
DELANY

manual license

but i drive an auto
Old 17-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
with road safety an important issue, how are people allowed to get an auto license and then be able to drive a manual with no previous experience when they get their full license?
if you get an auto license, that should be the only thing you can drive till you get a manual license.

They're not, it's actually an illegal practice while a person is on there P's. When your on your full licence than you can drive what you want.
Old 17-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #27
Kryton

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
When your on your full licence than you can drive what you want.
which is what i said....my question still stands.
you need experience and education to get a car license so why is the government creating a way that anyone (who has a full license but has never driven manual) can get behind the wheel of a manual car with no idea what they are doing?

its the same as giving a 16 yo a car and saying "there you go, figure it out yourself....on the road".

this law should really be looked at, at least from a safety point of view.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
which is what i said....my question still stands.
you need experience and education to get a car license so why is the government creating a way that anyone (who has a full license but has never driven manual) can get behind the wheel of a manual car with no idea what they are doing?

its the same as giving a 16 yo a car and saying "there you go, figure it out yourself....on the road".

this law should really be looked at, at least from a safety point of view.

Missed that bit.

But seriously I got my Auto licence for my P's than when I got off em I bought my manual car and drove it. Guess what no problems! Just sat in the left lane till I got the hang of it and that took a good two weeks.

If your really concerned with drivers safety than a defence driving course where these kids learn to control the car if the end kicks out. Than on top of that why not have them learn basic car maintenance on the car as well. If all it took was to have a manual licence to be a good driver and save people's lives than it would be made manditory, but guess what there are as many morons out there with manual licence's who are a hazard on the road.
Old 17-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #29
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Manual. Whenever I drive an auto it just doesn't feel right. Keep reaching for the clutch when there isn't one. Everyone should be made to learn to drive in a manual car. Anyone can drive an auto. But then again some families only have an auto car which is why it will never happen.

It's not that hard to learn in a manual. It took me 1/2 day to learn how to drive the TX5.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 06:47 PM   #30
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Got an Manual licence, my work bus XF is a 4 speed manual, and the EB is an auto.