Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you have a Manual OR Automatic licence
Manual 240 85.41%
Automatic 41 14.59%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #31
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Manual. Whenever I drive an auto it just doesn't feel right. Keep reaching for the clutch when there isn't one. Everyone should be made to learn to drive in a manual car. Anyone can drive an auto. But then again some families only have an auto car which is why it will never happen.

It's not that hard to learn in a manual. It took me 1/2 day to learn how to drive the TX5.
That's very true.

I've always said, you learn more in a Manual and it's really not that hard.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #32
BlackLS

I did my Red P's test in the then my dads Falcon, mainly coz my old Pulsar had a flat tyre on the day, flat batt and I was running late. So I got an auto licence but was driving a manual everyday. Got pulled over for "random" breath tests lots (wasn't the most quiet car) but didn't get booked until 2 months before I got my greens. Went for my green P's and now I can drive any trans legally.

I love driving manual. (I voted auto)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 07:00 PM   #33
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
Note: I am not condoning driving auto's. I just seriously believe that all driving test's should be done in a manual gear box car.
I agree.

It should be a skill made mandatory, because you never know, if you need to drive a Manual car some day, even if you drive a Auto, most of the time.

Like someone said before, what if there was an emergency and you needed to drive a Manual and only have ever driven Autos?
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #34
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I got my auto license .. didn't need to go for my manual because i don't drive a manual car... and really not interested in driving them any time soon...

about the full license & driving manual and automatic... I think it's good, by the time you're on your full license you should be able to make the choice if you think you're safe driving a manual car, or what ever... we can't live off the governments rules.... we're old enough ,we need to make our own decisions for once...
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #35
Mongo #650
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted
Manual, I actually have to concentrate when driving auto lol.
Too right I hate driving autos firts thing i do is look fot the clutch. All of my cars have been manual
Mongo #650 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:11 PM   #36
xf pano

Dont Get my L's until the start of next year but still get to drive a bit around the block - on back roads with dad in the passengers seat. Will be going for my manual license when the time comes. I agree there should be no auto licenses, if you cant drive manual, you cant drive.
Quote:
its the same as giving a 16 yo a car and saying "there you go, figure it out yourself....on the road".
Thats what dad did to me when i was about 10, chucked me the keys and said "you'll work it out", granted this was in a paddock though, not on the road. His logic seemed to work, stalled it a couple of times then i got the hang of controlling the clutch, changing gears ect it, just seemed to come naturaly to me.
xf pano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #37
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Auto licences are known as 'steering licences' around here with the younger ones.

I think if you have an auto licence, you shouldn't be allowed to drive manuals at all, unless you have lessons and another test in a manual car. In todays traffic there is no room for anyone who is concentrating on learning to change gears and using the clutch, whilst driving in traffic without 'L' plates to warn others you're learning.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2006, 11:58 PM   #38
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

i have an auto licence although i can drive a manual when i was on my Ls i owned a 5 speed ea (far from standard too!) but when i bought the ba i knew i would have the car for a while (its auto) and every other car in the family is auto so i thought screw it ill get the auto one to make life a little easier as the restriction is only a year anyway. dont drive the car much anyway sleeps in the garage waiting for the next mod to get glued to it.

i can drive a manual competently though thats no drama auto licence is just easier to get!

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 12:53 AM   #39
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Manual licence.. 100% on it too baby, smooooth.

I've got an auto in the XF now though and it shits me, not only is the box crap and it has two gears (lol), but it's boring and I feel like I don't have proper control over the car.. Can't wait to put the T5 in over the next couple weeks.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 08:25 AM   #40
LTDHO
The one and only

I got a full manual licence for two reasons.
1. I'm not slack.
2. I didn't want to be restricted.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #41
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've got a manual licence, as I hadn't driven an auto till about 2 months after getting my P's. That first auto I drove is my EA. I want a manual.

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 11:11 AM   #42
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Got my licence before there was a seperate auto licence ... but i learnt on the manual anyway .... then drove manual cars for about 11 years ... first time I drove an auto was when I met my fiance 3 years ago and drive her auto Mirage ... damn was that awkward to drive.

Now both my vehicles are auto ... only reason is the Territory never came in manual ... and my work ute is auto (Sydney traffic is a nightmare in a manual).

Would love to get a "toy" again ... and that would definitely be a manual for sure. I drove my sister-in-law's CG Lancer VRX Manual the other week ... boy did I ENJOY that ... I miss driving manual ... it's soooo much fun.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 12:07 PM   #43
Abacus
Life's a Gas

There are a lot of people driving manuals who really shouldn't.

Don't you hate it when you are pointing uphill at a red light, and the tool in front of you rolls back about a metre when the lights turn green? Usually some pig in a 4WD.

I've learned to leave about 3 metres between me and the vehicle in front when in this situation. It has saved the front of my car a few times.

And imagine trying to convince the cops that the dork in front rolled back, you didn't drive into him/her/it.

Oh, and being in NSW my licence covers both. The poll doesn't cater for people who have both, so its meaningless. I'm not voting.

I've got a bike licence as well.

I've driven a lot of manuals, but couldn't be bothered these days. Auto all the way from now on.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 12:30 PM   #44
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Got a Manual licence, but all my Cars have been auto's.

Glad I did, Military and Site Vehicles (i.e. Couriers, Hilux, Rodeo) are all manuals. Pay to be good at driving one when your taking the Boss from A to B.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #45
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

I learnt to drive in a Suzuki 4x4 Ute. 4 Speed Manual.
Ever since, I have driven Manuals, and have my Manual licence.
Old 18-09-2006, 02:34 PM   #46
geohatrick

I am about to go get my p's in nsw and am going for it in a manual car my dad and brother both insisted i learnt in a manual and now when i do drive autos i dont feel as confident i dont know why but i tend to drive slower when driving an auto.

I love my manuals and i dont think i would buy an auto all my mates except two drive autos and i cant stand any of the autos in older cars that ive been in.
geohatrick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #47
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

Manual licence. But i have only had it for 42 years.
Old 18-09-2006, 06:50 PM   #48
bigjim

I live in SA, where a licence is a licence. Learnt to drive and did my test in an auto, cause our family car was an auto, then I bought a manual and learnt how to drive manuals. It's really not that hard to pick up, although it probably helped that the clutch was knackered when I got it and thus the car was impossible to stall.
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 07:30 PM   #49
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Got a manual license but have been driving auto's for 8-9 years now.
Old 18-09-2006, 09:18 PM   #50
goXF
Now AU powered

Originally got my P's as just auto but later my work required that i drive manual vans so i re-did my licence as manual.

Current Car: 2002 AU3 Falcon Forte sedan, 51,000Km when purchased - NOW: 81,000Km.
goXF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #51
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
When I got my license there was no difference.. a license was a license (so I got it in an auto just to be lazy ) but get to drive manuals too.
I did the same sleep:
Old 18-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #52
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

I'm the biggest mongrel out !!!!!!

I bought a '86 AS Telstar for the girls to learn on , No air con. No P/steer , No radio , 4sp manual .. if they could drive that , they could drive anything . Both quickly "upgraded" to Lasers as soon as they got their licences . : & both got manuals .

Wife learnt/owned on a 1961 Mini , (still prefers manuals)

I learnt on a 1946 Ford Blitz (Army truck) & tractor on the farm age 8 . Didn't own an Auto till 10 yrs after getting my licence.

You never know when there might be an emergency & you have to drive someone elses car (specially in the country), if you can drive both it doesn't matter.

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #53
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I hae a manual licence. I HATE autos.

Oo\===/oO

Last edited by Peuty; 18-09-2006 at 10:57 PM. Reason: half drunk
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 12:25 AM   #54
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

manual licence, only drove a manual for 5 lessons and got my licence

never drove one after until i converted my car... had to learn damn quick...