Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 30,000 km service - is this a record?

Just had the 2nd service done on the Mondeo, which is done at 40,000 km or 2 years in NZ. The total cost was $920! Wow. As the car is out of warranty in 12 months, I don't think I'll be going back.

This included new rear brake pads, a new air filter and wiper inserts. These parts of course were not cheap. The only non-service item was an "emissions service" which consisted of adding engine flush before changing the oil and a bottle of fuel injector cleaner at a cost of $20 per bottle.

I don't think I've ever had rear pads replaced before on any car that I've owned, but I'm told that this is not unusual for Mondeos and Focuses (Foci?)

I did get the aircon regassed under warranty, which now feels properly cold for the first time since I've had the car. But the engine rattle during idle in Drive is still there despite attempts to fix it at both services.

Old 18-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Dusty1
Giddy up!

My 30,000 cost me about $240.
Didn't do any brake pad changes, did a tyre rotation, no windscreen wiper inserts, oil change, and put some finger prints on the windows. I agree with you about the rear brake pads, don't think I've ever had them changed.
That's up there for price.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Have my 30K service coming up in the next 2 weeks (need to fit it in around the arrival of our third child)! I'd be happy paying $240 but I won't hold my breath. Rear brake pads...that's a new one.
Old 18-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
bovva66

Just had 30k done a few weeks ago. All up $600 including wheel alignment, emissions flush, air con service, and a couple of other extras i can't remember. Still had 70% left on rear brake pads and 60% left on front. Base service was $325, but all the extras added on brought to just over $600...more than i wanted to pay..will have to see if next service will be done through dealer...a bit pricey!
Old 18-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Whoops. Clarification here. I made a mistake. That figure was wrong. I got the first two services as part of the sale, so that $240 would have been for something else. Can't think what. But the rest of the comments remain the same.
SuperRoo, congrats! Three... might be a bit of a squeeze across the back seat.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 18-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Thought $240 sounded good......oh well.

I also have a problem with my window switch - auto up won't work on the driver's door, other windows need 2 pushes to work and the gloabl close won't close the drivers window. That will be warranty though.

Happy to report that i did manage to get 3 seats into the back (2 are compact ones which are slightly narrower than the normal seats) but you may even get away with only 1 of the compact varieties if you had to. That additional extra space over some other cars I looked at has come in handy nicely.
Old 18-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Re: the global close issue, I remember reading somewhere about needing to reset the window position 'memory' if the battery gets disconnected, not sure what's involved though sorry...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
Thought $240 sounded good......oh well.

I also have a problem with my window switch - auto up won't work on the driver's door, other windows need 2 pushes to work and the gloabl close won't close the drivers window. That will be warranty though.

Happy to report that i did manage to get 3 seats into the back (2 are compact ones which are slightly narrower than the normal seats) but you may even get away with only 1 of the compact varieties if you had to. That additional extra space over some other cars I looked at has come in handy nicely.
Well done with the seats!

I posted a reply to the window, I think you just hold the button up until it re-sets itself, probably a couple of minutes.
Previous:
Old 18-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Thanks guys - did have the battery changed a few weeks back so it's most likely this. I'll try it tonight and see how it goes.
Old 18-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know that Honda have standard charges for a service, so if I book my wife's car in, they give me a fixed price for the actual service. Does anyone have the same info for the Mondeo?

Looked into the rattle from under the bonnet - it was a loose battery cover, which was only clipped in on one side. If I could find that in less than 5 minutes, why couldn't two Ford service departments? At least I now know that the exhaust heatshield, power steering hoses and something else that I can't remember are secure!

Might try the other nearby Ford dealer for the next service. Mondeos are a pain to work on without a hoist as there are no lifting points along the centre of the car.
Old 18-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota have fixed price servicing. $120 per service for the first 60.000kms
Old 18-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Servicing...horror story from the 1980s....New Laser (pretty basic really) and routine services........
Selling dealer failed to tune it ...twice...came back worse each time.
Dealer 2 cracked the nice alloy rocker cover, piddled oil all the way home. Dumped car in their driveway next morning and walked to work.
Dealer 3 started front wheel nuts with fingers, didn't complete the tighten up process. Knocking sound when driven home and wheel wobbled when jacked up, thus explaining the knock. Husband-to-be fixed that problem easy peasy.
........And our local family-owned service station business has been used by us for 20+yrs with zero hassles (except booking delays 'coz too busy).

Everything changes, but everything stays the same (it would seem).

Mind you, I had an argument 2yrs ago with the service manager at another brands dealership about so called 'required' additives when servicing (not requested by me). He couldn't/wouldn't show me the tech sheet from the manufacturer specifying the expensive additives. Eventually got a refund after 30 mins arguing (in front of their other customers).

I fully accept this is only 3+1 dealers. Others are noted on this forum being worthwhile - give them your business to keep them alive. Seems you just need to research and choose carefully.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #13
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Reset the windows switches and now all good. Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #14
ajay1940

Just done 15, 000 service, $324, which is about average I suppose.
The only thing of note, was the cost of the oil filter, $34.81, when I bought the identical item, from the same dealer, to do my own oil at 8000Km, I was charged $26.60.
Zetec TDCI.
ajay1940 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 08:05 PM   #15
mpsol
XR5T

I just had my 15,000Km service done on my XR5T at the local Ford dealer (not the one I purchased the car from from) $276 including tyre rotation. (lot of money for an oil change, but ya gota keep that warranty happy)..
Before I took it there, I rang the dealer I purchased it from to get a price from them, as it's a bit of a hike to get there, $365 they quoted.
mpsol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 10:38 PM   #16
obione980

Everyone should understand that you do not have to have services done by authorised dealers in Australia to maintain warranty cover. You do need to have the service done, and certified as done (stamped service booklet is sufficient proof), by an appropriately trained and equipped mechanic (Ultratune, K-Mart Service etc). The Trade Practices Act covers this (and many other) area(s).

Most competent, well equipped mechanics will perform book services - and usually cheaper than any dealer.
obione980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by obione980
Most competent, well equipped mechanics will perform book services - and usually cheaper than any dealer.
Much, MUCH cheaper..... almost a grand.. what a joke. This is what happens when you do not give your 'terms and conditions' to the service department prior to handing over the keys.

Service departments are notorious at adding high profit 'extras' such as wiper blades, cleaning and oil additives to an invoice, adding hundreds of dollars for no real benefit.

And most pay because they can't be bothered questioning / arguing it. Which is exactly how the service departments like it.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #18
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Much, MUCH cheaper..... almost a grand.. what a joke. This is what happens when you do not give your 'terms and conditions' to the service department prior to handing over the keys.

Service departments are notorious at adding high profit 'extras' such as wiper blades, cleaning and oil additives to an invoice, adding hundreds of dollars for no real benefit.

And most pay because they can't be bothered questioning / arguing it. Which is exactly how the service departments like it.
Well, the story continues... The muppets were stupid enough to contact me after the service to see if I was satisfied. So I said NO - will be interesting to see what they're prepared to do. It had better be good, otherwise I'll never go back.