Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2008, 02:39 AM   #181
Need_a_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
That's because the C63 is not out here yet.
It is now isn't it?

Last edited by Need_a_V8; 07-04-2008 at 02:47 AM.
Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 03:11 AM   #182
Need_a_V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
The C63 is now on sale in Aus for (as stated above) $139,500, a relative bargain when you consider what you're getting for the cash...

6.2L DOHC V8 vs. 7L Pushrod V8
336kW@6800rpm vs. 370kw
600Nm@5000rpm vs. 640NM
7-speed AMG Speedshift vs. 6 Speed Tremec TR6060
1730kg vs. 1864kg
360mm/330mm 6 piston brakes vs. 380mm Front 350mm Rear Brakes
0-100kph in 4.5sec vs 0-100km/h in 4.7 seconds
13.5L/100 fuel economy
plus all the usual Merc stuff

DMS Automotive here in Aus has already made a flash tune for the C63 which will take outputs to 366kW/660Nm...that's 211kW/tonne!!
In terms of what is listed above, the W427 is a pretty good competitor but it does lack quality compared to the Merc etc.

But give HSV credit, they get some Holdens delivered to their workplace. AMG get Mercs. Big difference in what they have to work with.

I still say Pushrod is more cost effective and is a better option for Australian cars than DOHC. A 12k 7L LS7 or a 6K 6.2L LS3 is better than a 17k BOSS engine, or a 30k+ or whatever AMG engine.
Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 03:14 AM   #183
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
The C63 is just a car with a big engine. So is the W427's actual competitor, the E63 AMG. Remember, these are just German taxi's. They just have some kind of badge aura here...
German taxi's that do the quarter mile in 12.5 sec@115mph completely stock!...one guy in the US has gotten into the 11's with his stock E63.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #184
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How and why are people quoting performance figures for the W427?

Old 07-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #185
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
German taxi's that do the quarter mile in 12.5 sec@115mph completely stock!...one guy in the US has gotten into the 11's with his stock E63.
The E63 isn't a German taxi, but the E320 and E270 CDI are. Much the same way was FPV F6 Typhoon's are not Taxi's here, but Falcon XT and Falcon Futura's are.

E63 AMG = Tarted up German taxi.
FPV & HSV = Tarted up Aussie taxis.

They're the same sort of thing... family cars with big engines stuffed into them.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #186
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
How and why are people quoting performance figures for the W427?

Well the topic was about the LS3 and quickly moved to defensive posts with the 5.4 as a foil and then came the AMG, so the 7.0 was next in line. If the thread goes on long enough we may even get a comparo with the VH45DE and finally a jet engine.......anything to denegrate a company that kept the V8 going here when Ford gave up flogging a transplanted Comet Mountaineer lump.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #187
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
The E63 isn't a German taxi, but the E320 and E270 CDI are. Much the same way was FPV F6 Typhoon's are not Taxi's here, but Falcon XT and Falcon Futura's are.

E63 AMG = Tarted up German taxi.
FPV & HSV = Tarted up Aussie taxis.

They're the same sort of thing... family cars with big engines stuffed into them.
wouldn't things like Opel Vectras and what not be German taxis?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #188
VSSII

Badge aura? Benz get by on just a little more than badge aura to justify their considerable prices. In 1997 when the W210 E class was introduced here they advertised they spent about $300 million designing the rear suspension alone. This suspension was used on C E and S classes. Many other 'luxury' car makers use simpler designs on cheaper models. BMW spent 300 mill on the whole 3 series! At an automotive fair in Germany a team of 4 Benz engineers drove a W210 E320 Elegance into a wall at 60kmh with no safety equipment! All 4 got out after the airbags had deployed. The worst damage to the occupants was bruising and there was no damage to the car past the A pillar. Now thats confidence in your product.

Incedentally the W202 (96/02 C class had similar interior dimensions to the 5 series of the same era and in fact had more rear leg room). Airbags, pre tensioning seatbelts, ABS, passenger safety cell and crumple zones were all designed/invented by Mercedes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv0ZPyj7S6M
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #189
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Well the topic was about the LS3 and quickly moved to defensive posts with the 5.4 as a foil and then came the AMG, so the 7.0 was next in line. If the thread goes on long enough we may even get a comparo with the VH45DE and finally a jet engine.......anything to denegrate a company that kept the V8 going here when Ford gave up flogging a transplanted Comet Mountaineer lump.
Yes i understand.. however nobody has driven a W427 let alone done a full test to be able to quote actual real performance figures yet, so i don't understand how anyone can state 0-100 or 1/4 mile times yet....

Old 07-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #190
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
Badge aura? Benz get by on just a little more than badge aura to justify their considerable prices. In 1997 when the W210 E class was introduced here they advertised they spent about $300 million designing the rear suspension alone. This suspension was used on C E and S classes. Many other 'luxury' car makers use simpler designs on cheaper models. BMW spent 300 mill on the whole 3 series! At an automotive fair in Germany a team of 4 Benz engineers drove a W210 E320 Elegance into a wall at 60kmh with no safety equipment! All 4 got out after the airbags had deployed. The worst damage to the occupants was bruising and there was no damage to the car past the A pillar. Now thats confidence in your product.

Incedentally the W202 (96/02 C class had similar interior dimensions to the 5 series of the same era and in fact had more rear leg room). Airbags, pre tensioning seatbelts, ABS, passenger safety cell and crumple zones were all designed/invented by Mercedes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv0ZPyj7S6M
You do know, that on a Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG, at $230,000ish... about $115,000 of that is tax...

Nothing justifies the extra cost of European cars in Australia, and the E63/M5/S6 would actually cost the same as a W427 will if we weren't taxed through every crevice for every penny we have...

:
Old 07-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #191
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

Nothing justifies the extra cost of European cars in Australia, and the E63/M5/S6 would actually cost the same as a W427 will if we weren't taxed through every crevice for every penny we have...
Somthing does, an attempt to protect our local producton...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:01 PM   #192
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Somthing does, an attempt to protect our local producton...
Which is a load of crap. Why are locally made cars not exempt from LCT then? Oh that's right, because its not an attempt to protect anything, its an attempt to fatten some wallets...

:
Old 08-04-2008, 08:47 AM   #193
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Which is a load of crap. Why are locally made cars not exempt from LCT then? Oh that's right, because its not an attempt to protect anything, its an attempt to fatten some wallets...
Steffo... who's wallets are getting fattened by import duties?
The money collected from duties, tariffs and taxes goes back to us (aussie citizens) either directly as benefits or indirectly as infrastructure and services.
If you removed the import tariffs you'd remove an revenue stream forcing the govt to increase taxes somewhere else, somewhere probably more likely to effect our pockets than luxury vehicles not to mention killing off our local car industry....
They are there for a very good reason, if it means that E63 it too expensive so be it.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #194
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
They are there for a very good reason, if it means that E63 it too expensive so be it.
Yes, the unions demand it. The union bosses still get to drive AMGs anyway. The fat union bosses here live in 2 million dollar penthouses while carrying on with all their comrade crap. It makes for quite comical viewing though.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #195
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
Yes, the unions demand it. The union bosses still get to drive AMGs anyway. The fat union bosses here live in 2 million dollar penthouses while carrying on with all their comrade crap. It makes for quite comical viewing though.

Cheap shot

I thought this was a discussion of the all new engine being fitted to the HSV's?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #196
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews

What does the c.f.m.e.u have to do with the subject?

I assume you are refering to kevin reynolds?
Clint Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #197
Conrad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xw gtho phase 2
not sure about the marketing consiracy LOL
but i do know a bit about both cars
have currently got a ve hsv R8 307 quite a pleasure making the cobra 302 look stupidly slow

have owned 2 pursuit utes both 290's oh dear glad i woke up and bought
a new maloo 317kw
luv the typhoons and tornado's fpv's only true preformance car ...

wow this c*nts a talker

i supposed you have an XW gtho ph2 aswell? hahahahahahaha
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #198
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

He probably does.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #199
rapom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loltastic
About 2 months ago at Willowbank I saw 3 SSV, 2 SS, 2 FPV GT and one 1 FPV GT Cobra (302kw) Only one of them managed to get into the 13's and that was the Cobra, running a 13.9 @ 103mph. All the others, SSV, SS and GT were all in the mid to high 14's @ 98-100mph.
These guys clearly can't drive. Full stop. I took my VE SS m6 ute on its first outing to the drags last week 2-4-08 to get a base line before starting mods. Ran consistent 13.3s and 13.4s with a 13.307 @ 105.3 MPH best. Dead stock with the exception of the removal of the plastic (Victa lawn mower inspired) engine cover, which may be worth 1 or 2 kw at best, on a hot day.

Seriously.. to run mid 14s in a VE SS you'de have to start in reverse.
rapom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #200
loltastic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapom1
These guys clearly can't drive. Full stop. I took my VE SS m6 ute on its first outing to the drags last week 2-4-08 to get a base line before starting mods. Ran consistent 13.3s and 13.4s with a 13.307 @ 105.3 MPH best. Dead stock with the exception of the removal of the plastic (Victa lawn mower inspired) engine cover, which may be worth 1 or 2 kw at best, on a hot day.

Seriously.. to run mid 14s in a VE SS you'de have to start in reverse.
I guess all 5 or 6 of them were all poor drivers. :
loltastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #201
Wally
XP Coupe

Maybe they were, especially if it was test and tune. Of course running in the height of summer doesn't help things.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:58 PM   #202
fmc351
let it burn

Times depends where you run it, what the temp is like, oxygen in the air etc. Oh so many variables that can alter times with the same driver and car, let alone different cars, on different days, with different drivers at probably different locations.

I did an 18 minute quarter acre on my Cox.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #203
rapom1

Quote:
Maybe they were, especially if it was test and tune. Of course running in the height of summer doesn't help things.
Yeah fair comment, my runs were at 23 - 18 deg and 50% humidity. QLD 2 months ago could have been 35 deg and 90% I suppose. Huge difference in times though.
rapom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #204
loltastic
Banned

Quote:
Yeah maybe. My times seemed ok tho, 13.1 @ 107mph, and my car's turbo which would be worse in the heat. If I remember, it was 33 degrees that day. track temp was near 37 I think. :
loltastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 06:34 PM   #205
Wally
XP Coupe

I would suspect you run an intercooler?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #206
loltastic
Banned

Quote:
I would suspect you run an intercooler?