Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #1
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Default Bad Idle

Hi all...

My misses has an AU Falcon. It runs good but when you put the electric windows up or down it makes the revs drop down real low like its going to stall.

Any suggestions on why this could happen.

My guess would be that the alternator is on the way out and cannot cope with the extra power to supply both the electric windows and spark to the motor.

Although it doesn't do it when the head lights are on. :

Any suggestions please???

Cheers.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm assuming you mean by headlights on that the revs don't drop when using the windows with the lights on? easiest way to check is throw a multimeter on the battery while you are using the windows and see how much the voltage drops, that should give you an idea where to start looking.

does it do it all the time, or only sometimes? i would say possibly bad earth. try giving some of the main earth points a good clean and see if that helps.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mines doing the same sort of thing, mainly when its cold, start it up and as soon as it starts the revs drop and it will stall, even if you keep the revs up a bit it will still stall have to turn it off and back on. Doesn't happen all the time. no accessories running or anything
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
IH8HSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
i'm assuming you mean by headlights on that the revs don't drop when using the windows with the lights on? easiest way to check is throw a multimeter on the battery while you are using the windows and see how much the voltage drops, that should give you an idea where to start looking.

does it do it all the time, or only sometimes? i would say possibly bad earth. try giving some of the main earth points a good clean and see if that helps.
Sorry I didnt explain it enough.

It does it weather the head lights are on or off. And yes it always does it.

Its funny how the head lights dont effect the idle, but the electric windows do. Head lights would draw more current then the electric windows.

Cheers.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV
Head lights would draw more current then the electric windows.
I would have thought the opposite to be true? Not that I know much about electrics.....
Old 08-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bad earths! you need to check all earth connections under the bonnet and under the dask

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry I didnt explain it enough.

It does it weather the head lights are on or off. And yes it always does it.

Its funny how the head lights dont effect the idle, but the electric windows do. Head lights would draw more current then the electric windows.

Cheers.
yep, earths for sure. give them a good clean and it should be sweet
Old 08-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
IH8HSV

O.K. thanks fellas.

What earthing points should I pay particular attention to? I know there are the ones on the battery.

Cheers.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
webby_191189
low wagooon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Mines doing the same sort of thing, mainly when its cold, start it up and as soon as it starts the revs drop and it will stall, even if you keep the revs up a bit it will still stall have to turn it off and back on. Doesn't happen all the time. no accessories running or anything

That sounds more lik a leaking inlet manifold gasket. hard to start, rough idle, hunts for idle when you first start it. I replaced mine on sat and found the old one was cracked. Now is a lot easier to start

Also elec window do require a fair bit of power to run

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2009, 08:33 PM   #10
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
clean out the idle sped controller, the round cylinder thing on top of the throttle body. if you can give it a good clean with carby or brake cleaner and then blow it out with compressed air. then give it a spray with wd40, or similar or silicon lubricant. should fix the problem. mine was doing this, did the above and hasn't had any probs for the past 12 months or so now.

good luck
Old 08-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
O.K. thanks fellas.

What earthing points should I pay particular attention to? I know there are the ones on the battery.

Cheers.
there should also be a few up under the dash, this is more likely where the power windows will ground to. just look for wires that are bolted through the body of the car and check for loose ones. you can also pull them off and wire brush/sand back the area a bit to get better contact. good luck
Old 09-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
vbomber

I have exact same problem it even happens when I switch the headlights on as well sometimes
vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
clean out the idle sped controller, the round cylinder thing on top of the throttle body. if you can give it a good clean with carby or brake cleaner and then blow it out with compressed air. then give it a spray with wd40, or similar or silicon lubricant. should fix the problem. mine was doing this, did the above and hasn't had any probs for the past 12 months or so now.

good luck
I'd also start there. It won't cost you anything apart from a can of carby cleaner and a few minutes of your time.

Cleaning ISC Valve
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...9&postcount=43

Let us know if that works.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #14
IH8HSV

O.K. thanks.

Ive started doing the earthing points, and will do this ISC valve clean out tomorrow. Hope this solves the problem.

Also while on this note, my BA has a funny idle too. Does the BA have the same ISC set up? It may also do with a clean.

Cheers.
Old 18-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #15
IH8HSV

Hi all,

I just wanted to bump this thread.

The bad idle seems to occur when using electrical power. e.g., power windows, brake lights, heater e.t.c.

Is there any testing I can do? Or has anyone else had the same problem?

Cheers.
Old 18-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #16
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you cleaned many of the earths yet? it's either loading up the main earth too much or the alternator can't keep up with the demand. you can stick a multimeter on it, although this won't tell you the amps it's putting out, it will give you the voltage. hold it on the battery terminals, at idle with only the engine running it should be 14.6-14.8v. then get someone to use the windows, heater, whatever, and see how much it drops. if it gets below 13v it's time for either a new alternator or new brushes in it.

good luck
Old 18-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #17
IH8HSV

Quote:
have you cleaned many of the earths yet? it's either loading up the main earth too much or the alternator can't keep up with the demand. you can stick a multimeter on it, although this won't tell you the amps it's putting out, it will give you the voltage. hold it on the battery terminals, at idle with only the engine running it should be 14.6-14.8v. then get someone to use the windows, heater, whatever, and see how much it drops. if it gets below 13v it's time for either a new alternator or new brushes in it.

good luck
Hi bodes-sh,

I put my multi meter across the battery terminals today and got the misses to activate the windows e.t.c. It stayed the same at around 14 volts.

I cleaned the earth terminals on the battery. But not too sure where all the other earth terminals are.

Cheers.
Old 19-06-2009, 10:15 PM   #18
IH8HSV

O.K....

Today I cleaned the I.C.S, and reset the E.C.U along with resetting the base idle as described on the forum. Also, as suggested sprayed WD40 around the inlet manifold to check for leaks.

This hasn't worked.

However I have noticed that it is when you turn the steering wheel at low speeds ( e.g. in a parking lot or intersection ) this is when the revs die down.

Anymore suggestions? :togo: :togo:

Cheers.
Old 20-06-2009, 03:27 AM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think theres a load sensor on the rack and pinion (look like an oil pressure sender) that has a affect on the idle speed, i have seen it mentioned in post`s past but have no clue wether it would affect your engine that much, it might or it may just be enough load to cause it to play up with something else being the cause, perhaps try disconnecting the sensor and see what happens....let us know what you find.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #20
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep, that's the one. power steering pressure switch.
here's one i prepared earlier (the thing with the blue plug in it):

not that expensive, but a pain to replace. some people chop the ring end off a 12mm spanner to give them a short version that fits onto the nut under that big round metal bit. good luck
Old 20-06-2009, 11:55 AM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Wink

PM JC, he's done one recently.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #22
IH8HSV

O.K. Thanks.

I will try this today.

Cheers.
Old 20-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #23
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Matt..clean your throttle body.Remove the sucker and clean the throttle plates. If that doesnt work change your spark plugs.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #24
IH8HSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Matt..clean your throttle body.Remove the sucker and clean the throttle plates. If that doesnt work change your spark plugs.
Thanks for the tip.

I did exactly this today. Taking the whole throttle body off is definitely the proper way to clean it.

Is was fully gummed up. It now makes me realise that when you clean the throttle body with a rag while it is still bolted on the manifold, how much is actually missed.

I fully recommend cleaning it this way. It came up brand new, including all the ports to the ICS, butterfly and the ICS itself.

It has made a noticeable difference. It is idling much better. Still a little rough when you turn the steering while stopped but I'm happy with it.

I didn't set the base idle, so maybe if I do this it may come up even better.

--- To set the base idle again would it hurt for me to activate the steering for the 4 Min's instead of the usual way you set it? I thought it may sort out my problem better.

Cheers.
Old 21-06-2009, 09:53 PM   #25
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Matt .Leave base idle alone buddy. The power steering switch and air conditioning are on a circuit which alters the idle speed when we turn the the steering wheel or turn the ac on. Its controlled via the ecu to idle speed controller.
The reason is that the car revs do drop under the power steering pump literally resisiting the crankshaft via the main front belt.Same as the air conditioning.Otherwise the car would literally turn off when these accesories are turned on Matt..you buddy stav is just a pm away champ How ya been ? Hows the family?

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 21-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #26
IH8HSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Matt .Leave base idle alone buddy. The power steering switch and air conditioning are on a circuit which alters the idle speed when we turn the the steering wheel or turn the ac on. Its controlled via the ecu to idle speed controller.
The reason is that the car revs do drop under the power steering pump literally resisiting the crankshaft via the main front belt.Same as the air conditioning.Otherwise the car would literally turn off when these accesories are turned on Matt..you buddy stav is just a pm away champ How ya been ? Hows the family?
Thanks Stav. So this would explain why the idle lowers when I use the power windows also - the alternator is loading up.

Why do the revs drop so low though when my BA doesn't do that.

Also I disconnected the battery today because I was working on the BEM. Wouldn't this reset the base idle? What should I do when I reconnect the battery? Do the 2 minute a/c on, a/c off e.t.c. to set the idle? Or just leave it and drive normally.

Cheers.
Old 23-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #27
Stav
Smile

Just drive the car..trust me mate. I feel there may be a bit of a faul with the cars..dont know why though mine is the same.Might just be part of the programming in the ecu not up to scratch? Im not sure to be honest but i do know of these issues.

Old 23-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #28
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i will have to check mine out, i haven't really noticed if it does or not, but i don't think it does. although mine doesn't have factory fitted power windows. i got the stuff and fitted them myself. i don't know if this is because i used a different earthing point or what...