Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Default Knobs and Towing

There I was, minding my own business driving northbound on Pennant Hills Road late last night. Rounded a bend and see something a little wierd. I had to look twice. A very large enclosed trailer was travelling at about 70km/h in the opposite direction. Nothing unusual about that, only except for the fact that this particular trailer appeared to be self propelled - ie, there was no car attached!

It mounted the median, crossing 3 lanes on oncomming traffic and eventually came to a very exciting and abrupt end as a brick wall put a halt to its momentum. It had missed me by a few meters. Lucky. It could have been very nasty had that tralier colllected me, or worse, and innocent pedestrian who wold have almost certainly been killed instantly. The trailer was fully loaded with general household items and was completely obliterated. The huge brick wall did not fare too well either.

I can only hope that the pilot of this particular 4WD thanks his lucky stars and learns how to hitch a trailer safely, and, to discover the many valuable uses of a safety chain and D shackle. I also hope he has a good excuse for the kind people at Kennards Hire! ("I hit a dog") He was one lucky fool.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
LTDHO
The one and only

It doesn't take a 'rocket scientist' to connect a trailer.

Unfortunally some people a dips**ts and have no common sence.

Firstly always connect chain. It should attach to the main braket or to your vehicle, not to the tongue!
Secondly, always make sure it is on the ball properly and the latch (or auto latch) is in the right position.

This person was very lucky that no one was hurt or killed as the driver will be charged for it!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #3
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Nothing to say, some bright spark thought they could just un-hitch a full trailer and then just manouvre it up the driveway to unload it, when hey presto it took off down the road.

either way you have to wonder.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Firstly always connect chain.
Even better use two chains and cross them over, so that if your trailer decides to unhitch itself, it will create a cradle that will catch the hitch before it hits the road at whatever speed.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

New Zealand last year, we were going on a scene drive through (Alberts Pass or something? Pretty much directly west from Christchurch) and we got held up by this guy pulling a boat, going about 30km/h. It wasn't a little dinghy either, it was a fully fledged yacht. It was being pulled by a 1.8 litre Pulsar.
Paris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selekta
it was a fully fledged yacht. It was being pulled by a 1.8 litre Pulsar.
ROTFLMAO : : : what a tool

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Makes you wonder what damage a fool like this could do with his Canyonaro 4x4.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:11 PM   #8
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was'nt near the brickyard was it?

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #9
ZH_302
DJR 17

haha

Reminds me of a time around 6 months ago, saw a guy in a Commodore ute approaching a roundabout, his trailer must have come unhitched and it careered over the island in the middle and was heading towards a group of cars stopped at the other side.

He must have realised what was about to happen and he steered the ute into the path of the errant trailer to stop it.

Poor bloke - caused a fair bit of damage to his car, but it was bloody funny let me tell ya
ZH_302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 10:20 PM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
Even better use two chains and cross them over, so that if your trailer decides to unhitch itself, it will create a cradle that will catch the hitch before it hits the road at whatever speed.
yep, exactly what i was going to say..
im sick to death of the amount of d!ckheads that i see towing, leaving the chains off to drag along the road!!!! :lookedat:

i wish people would actually learn how to tow, all the safety aspects of towing etc, and not just hook up (or think they've hooked up) a trailer and go..
there is a lot more to it than that
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 09:10 AM   #11
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I first got my license I was driving my Dad's old Dodge ute out on a country road and came behind someone towing a wooden boat on a trailer. At a 100km/h, suddenly the boat lifted up into the air and flipped over. I hit the brakes, but the Dodge was drums allround and I thought I was dead. When the boat hit the ground, it smashed into a hundred pieces in front of me, and the old Dodge just smashed through the wreckage that was left. I think the guy had it "tied" on the trailer by one rope at the front ..

My wife lost an empty horse float at about 10km/h ONCE. Came off the ball and dragged along the ground on the chains (nice idea about crossing the chains .. I've never seen that?). She has NEVER make that mistake again.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 02:14 PM   #12
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
yep, exactly what i was going to say..

i wish people would actually learn how to tow, all the safety aspects of towing etc, and not just hook up (or think they've hooked up) a trailer and go..
there is a lot more to it than that

I totally agree with this statement.

After many years of towing everything from boats, horse floats, car trailers, caravans, farm implements and the common 6 X 4 trailer, I believe it was only when I did my heavy articulated licence that I fully understood the mechanics trailer towing.

Towing any trailer should require special training, it’s not as simple as making sure you have fitted the coupling & chains properly, there is so much more to consider.

Whilst I’m on my soap box, I just want to say a few words about the brain surgeon who decided that the 5 & 7 pins round plugs should be wired differently….. :

Sorry, I think I’ll go and have BEX and a nice little rest… :
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #13
devil cv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young 'un
the chain should never be left long enough for the hitch to hit the road....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2005, 08:20 PM   #14
megsy
Undergraduate EB Operator

IMHO the chain should only be long enough so when you turn it doesnt pull tight, any longer and it's a hazzard.

and while were on stories...

ive heard of one of the bosses at our local john deere dealership towing a new header front (without chains) and it coming undone, at 100KMH i might add. luckly it only veered accross the wrong side of the road and ended up safly through someones fence, when it could of jack-knifed and the new $50,000 front would have been distroyed. not to mentioj the huge mess on the road
BTW the front generally weighs about 2 ton
-----------------------
megsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 02:01 PM   #15
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep many people just dont think twice about towing trailers.

not only do you need to hook them up correctly, and tow them correctly, but they also need to be LOADED correctly as well. A poorly loaded trailer can be lethal. Some people dont put any thought at all into the balance of the trailer when theyre loading.

A trailer should almost never be heavier tail heavy...for many reasons!
Old 14-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #16
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil cv8
the chain should never be left long enough for the hitch to hit the road....
Indeed.

- - -

People should be required to demonstrate that they know how to hitch a trailer before they are allowed to tow anything. If they can't, they should be put through a training session to teach them.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post