Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-07-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

Question Tinting rear brake lights?

hey guys,

just wondering is tinting your brake lights black illegal?

if it isnt illegal how do you go about doing it?

cheers

Daniel

Old 09-07-2005, 05:21 PM   #2
BlackLS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...t+brake+lights
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it's illegal.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tinted my AU with the tint paint from new and never had a problem in 3 years, the first day i drove it had the boys follow me for some time, call it luck ? i think if your car is well maintained and clean, you drive properly there should be no probs

DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

thats looks hot!!!

im doing it now to my car as I got a high series rear garnish to match my tail lights and the amber parts were slightly different shades. Ill give it a couple of coats and you shouldn't even notice.

Although I am worried if someone runs up my bum and then the insurance company has a teary that there sight was obstructed are some poo like that.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 05:57 PM   #6
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
thats looks hot!!!

im doing it now to my car as I got a high series rear garnish to match my tail lights and the amber parts were slightly different shades. Ill give it a couple of coats and you shouldn't even notice.

Although I am worried if someone runs up my bum and then the insurance company has a teary that there sight was obstructed are some poo like that.
I just read the other thread on this and not wanting to get into a full on barney ( as i have sold the car and moved on ) but even with this dark tint i defy anyone to tell me it was not effective, in 99% of cases it was a lot clearer to see when the brakes were applied as the red light stood out a mile , same with indicators so IMO only on the saftey issues are unfounded and i believe if anything enhanced

Bash into me if you want but been there and done it, legal another matter

Quote:
im doing it now to my car as I got a high series rear garnish
what ride have u got at the moment ? AU ?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
I just read the other thread on this and not wanting to get into a full on barney ( as i have sold the car and moved on ) but even with this dark tint i defy anyone to tell me it was not effective, in 99% of cases it was a lot clearer to see when the brakes were applied as the red light stood out a mile , same with indicators so IMO only on the saftey issues are unfounded and i believe if anything enhanced

Bash into me if you want but been there and done it, legal another matter

what ride have u got at the moment ? AU ?
I wish I had an AU. Ive got the car in my sig/avatar. Its a bits 'n' pieces. I had a povo gli garnish inbetween the lights, now I have a fairmont one that matches the reflective stuff in the tail lights.

Ive seen those old looking Toyota Landcruisers that have tinted rear lights from factory; so I dont know whats going on there.

There are sooo many cars going around with tinted lights; even repeaters and front indicators so no one seems to be cracking down on it.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

each to their own but i think it looks cheap and nasty dont like the look at all
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 04:16 PM   #9
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Hey, I want to mask my taillight-brightness too.

I never drive in the rain.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 04:25 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate did it to his pulsar. Couldnt see barely anythn in fine conditions at night so could only imagine what it would be like in bad weather. I reckon it looks good but its difficult to see the lights.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 04:27 PM   #11
LUXO_8
windsor user

i went through the tinted stage on my NC
now i think it looks pretty average to have them so dark ( the lights on the AU in this thread look way too dark IMO), though i will be tinting the indicator area on some headlight covers to match with my headlights black inserts.
they definatley need "something"
you can see what i mean by this pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Wlights007.jpg

i'd ultimatley like to be able to get some indicators apart and paint some of the insert like in the headlights....

EDIT
an old shot with the old BMW headlights and tinted indicators
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...8/sinister.jpg

Last edited by LUXO_8; 10-07-2005 at 05:17 PM.
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:31 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

This is what my Proton looked like with the tinted taillights.
Yes I was defected for them as well
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #13
irke

I've had the rear lights tinted on most my cars.. usually I carefully mask up the reverse-lights-section so my rear lights are tinted but with a clear section for reverse (just looks better than all-tinted in my opinion).. i've never had a problem with the boys in blue, and mine were as dark as the proton above.

On my laser I had a layer of clear-coat over the tint to make it look shinier and match the paint, as it makes it look a lot nicer.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:40 PM   #14
LUXO_8
windsor user

i saw on the rear garnish of a VT once, the whole garnish except for the reverse light was body coloured. looked pretty cool
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 10:07 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

With an ED you can get away with a few light coats of spray tint without making it look like they have been tinted as they are already a bit darker than most cars to start with so it doesn't look to different. My EB Fairmont had a few coats and unless you parked it next to a stock one you wouldn't pick it as tinted.

Funny story. A guy I used to work with had an 81 LTD, the ones that came out with the factory tinted taillights, and he actually got fined by a copper for it. He was trying to explain to him it came like that from the factory but he didn't want a bar of it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2005, 10:52 PM   #16
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I don't like the look at all. Maybe on a black car, but still I don't think it's a good look.
Plus if you're behind a car with tinted lights and the sun is shining from behind you, then you can't see if they brake. We almost ran up the back of someone in that situation.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2005, 12:30 AM   #17
xrgran

Don't think it neither looks good or is safe...jmo.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:35 AM   #18
InitialD
Low and Loud

Daniel, dont do it! looks meh IMO ;) and I know of people around my area being hassled for it.

better idea :P Clear EB tailights like mine ;) lol not that im biased

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #19
Vision Zetec
Hurry up Germany!!

yer thanks guys, i wont get it done.

lol your never biased mick!............. NOT!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:07 PM   #20
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00VenomXR
each to their own but i think it looks cheap and nasty dont like the look at all
werd...
depends on the car, though very few look ok.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2005, 05:15 PM   #21
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They look shocking IMO. Not a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Hey, I want to mask my taillight-brightness too.

I never drive in the rain.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:34 PM   #22
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ive seen those old looking Toyota Landcruisers that have tinted rear lights from factory; so I dont know whats going on there.
Some Landcruiser troop carriers come from the factory with lights recessed into the rear bumper (due to the fact that in the standard position they are obstructed by the spare wheel on the back) Due to this, there is no point in having the standard rear lights, so they just put a black plastic panel in their place.

The new Nissan Patrol has a similar thing, except that instead of a black plastic panel, they have 'fake lights'... the lens of the rear lamps, but no actual lights.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2005, 08:01 PM   #23
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Falcon
hey guys,

just wondering is tinting your brake lights black illegal?

if it isnt illegal how do you go about doing it?

cheers

Daniel
Just as long as you tint your front brake lights to match ;)
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 01:42 AM   #24
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Young 'un wrote: "The new Nissan Patrol has a similar thing, except that instead of a black plastic panel, they have 'fake lights'... the lens of the rear lamps, but no actual lights".

Yep, the current Patrol's lower red dummy lamps are coded "f00", which is codespeak for rear fog light, fitted standard on EU market vehicles. Our type contain no bulb holder nor 'hole' for them. Just cost cutting stuff.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 01:54 AM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Young 'un wrote: "The new Nissan Patrol has a similar thing, except that instead of a black plastic panel, they have 'fake lights'... the lens of the rear lamps, but no actual lights".

Yep, the current Patrol's lower red dummy lamps are coded "f00", which is codespeak for rear fog light, fitted standard on EU market vehicles. Our type contain no bulb holder nor 'hole' for them. Just cost cutting stuff.
Why don't they make them functional? People see the lens and think they work only to discover that the piddly little ones in the bumper are the brake lights. Personally I think they should be swapped so the fog lights are in the bumper. Personally I think the whole setup is pathetic, if it has a lens it should work in my opinion
Old 12-07-2005, 02:07 AM   #26
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

I personally like them tinted slightly darker, although not as dark as some of the pictures in this thread. I'd like to do it to the lights at the rear of the XF, but only really slightly, I think that would look sweet. I'm talking only as dark as stock ED tail-lights, not any darker. Personally, I'm not a fan of the clear tail lights, but as long as your happy with it and it doesn't reduce the visability of the lights by much, that is all that matters, I think anyway.

In fact, I think I might go and try photochopping a pic of my XF tail-lights to see how it would look...
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #27
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Just ive done my entire garnish and lights and it looks awesome..ill get a pic tomorrow.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-07-2005, 01:24 PM   #28
KELDO_XR8

It might depend on the product you use but sometimes i see cars with the tinted taillights and their indicators flash red. also it makes your lights dimmer. i dont care how cool it looks, visibility is one of the most important things on the road.
keldo
KELDO_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2005, 01:27 PM   #29
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I tell you what if you cant see my lights when they are on then you shouldn't be on the road...I plan to get some LEDs asap which will make it even easier to see aswell.

I did two very light coats, subtle but effective. Pic is coming ive been a bit busy and get gets to dark by the time I get home; wish daylight savings would hurry up.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #30
KELDO_XR8

Im not pointing the finger at anyone in particular, im simply rasing the fact that people are comprimising the visibility of their car simply to make it look cool. personally i think its a waste of time and money, but thats just me. I'l probably see it fine, but not as well as i would if it wasnt tinted. There's people out there who dont pay attention and may not notice a dimmer light. LED's are a good idea, that way u can have the look you want and keep it bright. Hey there's heaps of oldies out there who drive on overcast days....

Just my thoughts anyway.
keldo
KELDO_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post