Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2014, 04:59 AM   #151
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Default Re: Schumacher critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear View Post
Seems recovery is further along than we thought, great news.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226956503984

Cheers,
Please don't get our hopes up.

All that article says is that he is no longer in a coma, or critical condition, and that he has been moved to another hospital.

It isn't like he thanked the nurses and walked out to the car.

I fear as time extends between reports from Sabbine, there is less and less chance of a positive outcome for Michael, and moreso, his family.

Fight hard Michael, your still on the warm up lap, with 78 laps of Monaco ahead. Oh, and your starting about 19th. I am hoping for a podium!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2014, 10:23 AM   #152
Robos F6

Yes sounds like he didnt actually wake up and walk out to another hospital.
Robos F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2014, 10:45 AM   #153
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

It is hard not get my hopes up.
I know it is still not an ideal situation and I am not a dreamer to think he is up and walking around or will be anytime soon.
However I still hold hope that with this bit of good news that, hopefully, sooner rather than later he will be walking around.

The effect that his accident has had on people round the world just shows how much he is admired. He's been an inspiration to many people in and out of racing and to lose him in these circumstances, the prime of his life would be devastating to not only his family but to the many many fans across the globe.

C'mon Michael, win #92. Let's do it.
Old 17-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #154
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the article in the Australian
Doctors in Grenoble put him into a coma to rest his brain and decrease swelling, and they operated to remove blood clots, but some were too deeply embedded.
Signs and symptoms of a blood clot in the brain may include headaches, speech changes, paralysis (an inability to move), dizziness, and trouble speaking or understanding speech. These signs and symptoms may suggest a stroke.

Putting 2 + 2 together, it might be that Michael is now in the same conditiohn as if he had a massive stroke, so I would guess that his recovery will be long, and like most stroke victims, he will never be the same again.

Thsi is all specualtion on my part, but I think it is the reality. It is such an awful shame, as he is/was truly one of the best racers to grace, and attack, a race track.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #155
prydey
Rob

ever since the accident 'experts' have been trying to 'read between the lines' on every release issued to date, and yet many have been proved wrong time and again. i just don't see the point in reading things that aren't there. the only reliable info up until now has been the releases from his manager, and they have been proven to be accurate. all other articles are from people trying to guess the situation.

will he make a recovery of sorts?

who knows, but he is still with us, and where there is life there is hope. his manager has stated that this will be the last release for some time, so hopefully the next time we hear some news it is still in a positive direction.

according to those in the field, to be classed as no longer in a coma, there has to be a form of verbal response, so if the article is accurate then that is a good sign.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #156
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
'Schumacher awake for hospital transfer'
7:41pm June 18, 2014

Formula One champion Michael Schumacher is conscious and had his eyes open during his top-secret transfer from a French hospital to a facility in Switzerland, Swiss newspaper Blick reports.

Schumacher was moved on Monday after emerging from a coma following his devastating ski accident in December.

The paper said he had his eyes open for most of the journey by private ambulance, which was conducted like a secret service operation.

Schumacher did not speak, but he communicated by nodding his head during the 200-kilometre journey, the paper said.

The ambulance company was not told the identity of its world-famous passenger in advance, and staff had to give up their mobile phones when they came into contact with him.

The paper said Schumacher had lost a lot of weight during his 170 days in hospital in the French city of Grenoble.

It tracked down the Swiss ambulance company, whose head Mathias Volken confirmed its involvement, but refused to give further details.

The seven-time world champion's spokeswoman, Sabine Kehm, on Monday thanked the doctors in Grenoble and asked for "understanding that his further rehabilitation will take place away from the public eye".

The hospital where he is now being treated is one of Switzerland's best and has renowned neurology experts.

It is in the city of Lausanne, near where Schumacher's wife Corinna and two children live.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/201...pital-transfer

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #157
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27988747

Some people........anyway, watch the video after reading the article.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #158
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

New update which seems promising

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spor...711-zt40x.html

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2014, 04:46 PM   #159
prydey
Rob

another good sign is that someone has spoken to the media, and there is a lack of a million other 'experts' offering their opinion, to pad the article out a bit. i for one don't mind a brief article that simply tells us what we want to know. well done to the journo for keeping it short and to the point.

keep fighting michael!
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #160
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets not bs around

he ain't leaping out of bed screaming where the ****s my slippers
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #161
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
lets not bs around

he ain't leaping out of bed screaming where the ****s my slippers
True. But any improvement is one small step away from a vegetative state and towards a fully functional human.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #162
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Update?

http://www.christianpost.com/news/mi...covery-124954/

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 19-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #163
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post

that link says absolutely nothing by way of update....LOL
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2014, 07:38 AM   #164
prydey
Rob

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsp...-1227053241017

some more news. very few details but at least its something.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #165
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would seem from the lack of any specific information Michael is still fighting the good fight, best of luck to Michael and his family.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #166
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsp...-1227053241017

some more news. very few details but at least its something.
It means he is alive and his life is no longer in danger. But is he a vegetable?

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 10-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #167
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
It means he is alive and his life is no longer in danger. But is he a vegetable?
or returned home under palliative care preparing to die with dignity!

jp
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #168
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...1-star-4274187
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #169
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Formula 1 great Michael Schumacher was put into a coma after he fell heavily on a GoPro camera mounted on his skiing helmet, a friend has revealed.

Racing commentator Jean-Louis Moncet said the camera on Schumacher's head had "injured his brain", The Mirror reported.

Moncet also said Schumacher was recovering "slowly" at his Swiss mansion, being cared for in a purpose-built medical suite.

The Formula 1 champion injured his head while skiing in the French Alps on December 29 last year.

He emerged from his coma and returned home about two months ago but still has a long road of rehabilitation ahead.

"Although things are going at a slow pace, he has a lot of time, I would say he has his whole life in front of him to get back on track," Moncet said.

His care is estimated to cost more than $185,000 a month."

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2014/1...yxBwhu4GpSY.99
Old 12-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #170
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/motor...end/ar-BB8L865

Quote:
GoPro camera put Schumacher in coma: friend

Formula 1 great Michael Schumacher was put into a coma after he fell heavily on a GoPro camera mounted on his skiing helmet, a friend has revealed.

Racing commentator Jean-Louis Moncet said the camera on Schumacher's head had "injured his brain", The Mirror reported.

Moncet also said Schumacher was recovering "slowly" at his Swiss mansion, being cared for in a purpose-built medical suite.

The Formula 1 champion injured his head while skiing in the French Alps on December 29 last year.

He emerged from his coma and returned home about two months ago but still has a long road of rehabilitation ahead.

"Although things are going at a slow pace, he has a lot of time, I would say he has his whole life in front of him to get back on track," Moncet said.

His care is estimated to cost more than $185,000 a month.
I'm going to think out loud. What is the foot print on the helmet of a GoPro device? 2-4 square cm? Are ski helmets designed to take small contact high energy impacts? Looking at most helmets - they are designed to take an impact from the actual helmet making contact and this contact area has a far larger area (under load) which therefore spreads out the forces and greatly reduces pressure per sq cm.

My guess is that upon impact the angles and forces at play were perfectly aligned and the GoPro punctured the helmet skin and pierced the skull..

I have family who ride bikes and use these devices on their helmets, whilst I haven't taken a close look at how they are mounted it looks to me like they are just mounted straight onto the shell of the helmet.

If there was some additional layers of helmet material under the mount would that have spread the forces across a greater area of the helmet and saved Shuey?

Do helmets have 'mounting points' where there is a thicker skin or structural ribbing added during manufacture to allow for this scenario?

Will this change how GoPro instruct people to mount their product? If the GoPro is proven to have had a large bearing on this accident I wonder what will be the ramifications?

With so much red tale and regulations, I actually find it odd that you can modify a life saving device such as a helmet with a GoPro. Are there any rules and regulations regarding these devices?

Old 12-10-2014, 10:48 AM   #171
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahahaha

blame the go pro

theyre cooked
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #172
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/motor...end/ar-BB8L865

I'm going to think out loud. What is the foot print on the helmet of a GoPro device? 2-4 square cm? Are ski helmets designed to take small contact high energy impacts? Looking at most helmets - they are designed to take an impact from the actual helmet making contact and this contact area has a far larger area (under load) which therefore spreads out the forces and greatly reduces pressure per sq cm.

My guess is that upon impact the angles and forces at play were perfectly aligned and the GoPro punctured the helmet skin and pierced the skull..

I have family who ride bikes and use these devices on their helmets, whilst I haven't taken a close look at how they are mounted it looks to me like they are just mounted straight onto the shell of the helmet.

If there was some additional layers of helmet material under the mount would that have spread the forces across a greater area of the helmet and saved Shuey?

Do helmets have 'mounting points' where there is a thicker skin or structural ribbing added during manufacture to allow for this scenario?

Will this change how GoPro instruct people to mount their product? If the GoPro is proven to have had a large bearing on this accident I wonder what will be the ramifications?

With so much red tale and regulations, I actually find it odd that you can modify a life saving device such as a helmet with a GoPro. Are there any rules and regulations regarding these devices?
i had a quick squiz/google on helmets after your post, it seems regulations vary between states, but also it appears the main concern is drilling of helmets , but in some states even having cameras stuck on is a fineable offence,
i did see a bike helmet with a proper built on bracket for a camera, but no mention of any safety enhancements.
it appears if you add stuff to your helmet, its all on you.
This user likes this post:
Old 13-10-2014, 01:51 AM   #173
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

These are the 4 official GoPro helmets with various mounts.

http://shop.gopro.com/APAC/mounts
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #174
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
hahahaha

blame the go pro

theyre cooked
How 'well done' can you go??

Quote:
GoPro shares slump after link to Michael Schumacher accident

Date October 14, 2014 - 12:17PM

GoPro shares fell 10 per cent today after reports linked the sports-camera maker to the ski accident of retired race car driver Michael Schumacher, sparking safety questions about the use of the cameras.

Sparking the share slump were reported comments from French commentator Jean-Louis Moncet, who linked the camera Schumacher was wearing at the time of the accident to the injury.

"The problem for Michael was not the hit, but the mounting of the Go-Pro camera that he had on his helmet that injured his brain," Moncet told a French radio station.

'I saw his son and he told me that Schumi is waking up very slowly; very slowly.

'Although things are going at a slow pace, he has a lot of time, I would say he has his whole life in front of him to get back on track.'

Schumacher, 45, a seven-time Formula One champion, crashed while skiing in Meribel in the French Alps on December 29, suffering contusions to the brain as well as haemorrhaging.

Jeff Brown, a spokesman for San Mateo, California-based GoPro, said in a e-mail that the company is trying to get more information about the reports before issuing a statement.

GoPro, led by Chief Executive Officer Nicholas Woodman, went public in June. The shares have risen more than threefold, fueled by sales of its tiny video cameras that adventurers strap onto their bodies to record their exploits.

Yet the stock has been volatile, including declining 6.9 per cent earlier this month after its founders donated some of their holdings to establish a charitable foundation, raising concern that releasing more shares might weigh on prices.

"A move of this magnitude is common for GoPro," said Alex Gauna, an analyst at JMP Securities inSan Francisco, who has the equivalent of a buy rating on the stock. "It's also very clearly stated in GoPro's risk factors that consumers should be cautious when engaging in risky activity."

Bloomberg
Radio has just said that the figure has jumped to 12% - or 1 Billion dollars.

I can see this possibly going 2 ways.

1) GoPro are found to have contributed to Shui's injuries.

2) GoPro are cleared and they go after whoever stated that the GoPro attributed to the injury (a person closely linked to the family apparently).

Either side has access to top legal help I'm sure...

Old 15-10-2014, 02:02 AM   #175
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This product safety statement may help limit GoPro’s liability.

Quote:
Note: Always select a helmet that meets the applicable safety standard when you use with a GoPro helmet mount. Follow the helmet manufacturer's instructions on safe helmet use.

If I was using a camera in a situation where I was travelling at speed I’d be inclined to use a helmet with a side mounted camera.

Also, was Schumacher wearing a GoPro helmet with camera or had he fixed a GoPro camera to a helmet he’d sourced himself? The article offers a comment with no details.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #176
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Michael Schumacher’s Friends Fears The 7-Time F1 Champion Slowly Losing His Fight For His Life

The everyday lives of relatives and close friends of Michael Schumacher may suddenly stop or be thrown into chaos as they continue to live in the vagueness of not knowing whether Michael Schumacher would fully recover or whether he would finally succumb to the injuries he sustained from the skiing accident he had in December. Although it has been reported that Schumacher was showing signs of progress, a friend of Schumacher's family has great concerns about the seven-time Formula One champion's future.

In a news article by UK's daily tabloid newspaper Daily Express, a family friend of the German ace, who refused to be identified, expressed his worries about building hopes on Schumacher's future. Despite the fact that Schumacher has cheated death by surviving the accident, surviving the crucial emergency operations, coming out of coma, and even having moments of consciousness and awakening, the future of the F1 champion is still uncertain.

"The question remains, however, about how much improvement can be expected in the coming months and years," the family friend said. "Will he speak again? Will he walk again? Will he be able to feed and dress himself?"

No one, not even the doctors, can really tell if Schumacher will be able to fully recuperate from the severe injuries he suffered from the skiing crash. It is unclear whether Schumacher would stay alive or whether he would be permanently crippled, brain damaged or completely immobilized.

Schumacher's former Ferrari boss Jean Todt, who occasionally pays the stricken F1 ace a visit, told broadcaster RTL that he hopes that Schumacher would be able to make a recovery. He said that the important thing right now is that Schumacher is still fighting for his life and that his family is keeping their hopes alive and stays with him during this battle. Todt said that it is imperative that Schumacher is left in peace and given time to recuperate from the accident.

Schumacher is currently being cared for in a specially-built home-based clinic in his mansion in Lake Geneva, Switzerland. His wife and kids remain at his bed side every single day.
http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/more-s...id=mailsignout

Old 05-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #177
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

What a nothing article. Crap.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #178
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here’s another from a couple of days ago.

While there is a media blackout, the general public will only ever be fed speculation from the press.

Quote:

Fears grow over the recovery of racing champion Michael Schumacher
This story was published: November 04, 2014 2:38PM

DEVASTATED friends of Michael Schumacher have spoken of their fears for his recovery as the star’s medical costs reach a reported $183,000 a week.

Schumacher, who suffered a serious head injury after a ski accident in the French Alps in December last year, is being treated at his Swiss home by a team of 15 specialists, according to The Express.

And while he has had periods of awakening, the 45-year-old is reliant on machines and tubes to feed and breathe.

The F1 star is receiving specialist care at a special clinic in the grounds of his mansion, having spent more than six months in a medically induced coma at a hospital in Grenoble.

Schumacher’s care includes a team of 15 staff who take care of his every needs, including massaging him for hours to ensure his muscles remain stimulated, The Express reported.

He is also checked every hour for signs of improvement.

However friends and even medical experts have expressed doubts over his recovery with one saying the world is watching the “long goodbye” of the racing star.

Dr Gary Hartstein, a former medical delegate for the Formula 1 World Championship, said the media blackout on his condition didn’t end speculation that his health actually wasn’t improving at all.

Rr Hartstein told The Express that “life expectancy for a comatose patient who does not improve neurologically is measured in months to a relatively few years.”

Others were questioning how much improvement Schumacher was expected to make given he has been in a coma for so long.

Will he speak again? Will he walk again? Will he be able to feed and dress himself?” one friend asked.

The doctors don’t know. No one can know. The probability is that he will never be the man he was before the accident. That much is starkly clear.”

Just last month, French journalist Jean-Louis Moncet, who has been in contact with Schumacher’s son, Mick, said he was told the seven-time F1 world champion was waking up “very slowly” from his medically induced coma.

Although things are going at a slow pace, he has a lot of time, I would say he has his whole life in front of him to get back on track,” he said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsp...nt_content=AR2

Last edited by LoudPipes; 06-11-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #179
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Hate to say it, but there is a price on human life. How long can the family sustain $180k a week?
I hope (but doubt) that if/when he wakes up he has some sort of normal life, if not then that the end is peacefull/pain free.
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #180
Aussie.Battler
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redxm View Post
Hate to say it, but there is a price on human life. How long can the family sustain $180k a week?
I
I guess when you are worth US$800 million for as long as it takes.
Aussie.Battler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post