Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-07-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
$needmoney$

Default new diff gears same times

hi everyone. i just put new diff gears. i went from standard 3.23-3.55. the car feels quicker mainly down low but at the drags, the 660ft mark they are a tenth better but by the 1000ft mark they are slightly slower. the car is doing about 5000rpm in third over the finish. the only thing i can think of is the gear changes
in the auto. has anyone else experienced this or no why it is happening. could it be something to do with the computer? any advice would be great as the gears
are getting changed again because they came out of another car and are noisy.
trying to decide between putting standard gears back in or forking out 500 for a new set

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 06:52 PM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

did you recalibrate the speedo and ecu shift points?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what model car is it going in... i had 3.89:1 in mine when it was an auto, and it went hard off the line, but shift points were crap...

i no a guy with an EB XR8 with 3.7's and he has no shift problems, as V8's have a separate auto computer, so i am not too sure how they handle the different gear ratios.

you might have to look at getting 3.45's and the correct speedo gear to suit the gears.

or convert your car to a manual, and then you can have any diff gears you want...
Old 27-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Mate I have been thinking about this for a while now..and have come to a conclusion..for the money I did not believe that I could justify the cost .

I once had an xc 250 falcon.It went from 2.92 to 3.5 diff ratio. I did not think it went better .It felt like it was pulling my car back from the change.I hated it. I felt like it made it harder to reach higher speeds.

For the AU everyone says go for 3.7...I think 3.45 will be the best compromise.

At a price of 1400 dollars I can most probably source one from the wreckers for 200 and fit it myself.

Just remember that my experience was in an xc ford.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again

Last edited by Stav; 27-07-2005 at 08:03 PM.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by $needmoney$
hi everyone. i just put new diff gears. i went from standard 3.23-3.55. the car feels quicker mainly down low but at the drags, the 660ft mark they are a tenth better but by the 1000ft mark they are slightly slower. the car is doing about 5000rpm in third over the finish. the only thing i can think of is the gear changes
in the auto. has anyone else experienced this or no why it is happening. could it be something to do with the computer? any advice would be great as the gears
are getting changed again because they came out of another car and are noisy.
trying to decide between putting standard gears back in or forking out 500 for a new set
tell us more about the car what model and timeslip info let see more.

What diff did you have and what tyres are you running. going from a 3.23 to 3.55 wouldn't be much of a difference well 8% its not much it shouldn't be much in tenths better you would think.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 09:20 PM   #6
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

If your car is a V8 auto AU and you have changed diff gears forget it the problem is in the ECU and can not be fixed yet. Although if its a factory diff ratio you have changed to eg 3.45 find a xr8 ecu and you will get away with it a bit more cleanly.

Chiptorque and SCT are working on a way to tap into the torque reduction maps in the ecu. Which is the cause of the problem.
An after market computer wont help you because as far as we are aware there isnt one that can control the elec autos in the au's. And the Auto portion of the au computer can request torque reduction as well.

I went from 3.45:1 to 3.9's and with no traction problems had absolutely no gain on the 60ft, or on the et. And it felt no different on road
Datalogging on the dyno shows the ecu is pulling up to 19degrees timing out from the torque maps requesting torque reduction.
I run 97mph on the 1/4 with no traction loss in a AU 2 xr8 ute which is good for a low 14 but can only get a best of 14.89 (approx) (the guys with 2031/2030 cams in the same car with stock gears run a slightly slower mph)
A stall convertor wont get you past the bottom end problem either as it affects the whole rpm range. (Noddy's car still has the issue with a aftermarket stall)

Headsex can vouch for this problem (sct tester)
Noddy's T3 has also been datalogged (auto/stall/3.7's)
I've got slips from willowbank + chiptorque's data logging & AU2xlsv8 will vouch for all of my runs on the 1/4 as for the no traction loss.

---- if none of this apply's to your case just ignore me.

Last edited by Sylox; 27-07-2005 at 09:25 PM.
Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 09:53 PM   #7
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
What diff did you have and what tyres are you running. going from a 3.23 to 3.55 wouldn't be much of a difference well 8% its not much it shouldn't be much in tenths better you would think.
i belive this is most likely,
if you have a cam you'd pick a gear set to mach it, but that will throw out the drivability due to stall and shift points too which will need calibrating to suit.
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can say that i definitley believe i noticed a difference in the performace of my car from the 3.08 ratio to 3.89, but now i have 4.11's and its hard to notice much of a difference between the two.

useless - $1400 is way too much, for diff gears, and i take it at that price they are installed..

i have definitely had troubles getting a good 60ft time at the drags. driver problem obviously, but it will either bog down or get emense amounts of wheelspin.

Rollin has done a 1.94 60ft time which in unbelievable with 3.89's. I would be happy with 2.05-2.10 60fts. Even though i have 4.11 diff gears Rollins gearing is shorter with 3.89's which is allowing him (the buggar) to get such good 60ft times.

with 3.89's and 4.11's i am around 4800- 4950rpm in forth respectivaly.

new gears installed at mal wood are $520.
Old 27-07-2005, 10:16 PM   #9
Supa R00
Rolling on Simmons...

whats your rpm at 100 in 5th OED666???
5Spd, Simmons FR17"s, SupaLow's, Sprint Bodykit,
Cam, exhaust and all that jazz... Complete AU XR6 conversion and soon to be turbo!
:voldar02:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
When has any XR6 after the ED, prior to the XR6T been anywhere near being a performance car, or much more of a car than a stock taxi spec Gli?
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 12:21 AM   #10
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

u will only have problems with shift points if u change youre speedo gear to get it right.. if u leave stock spedo gear in youre shift points will be fine and wont change
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 12:49 AM   #11
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED666
i can say that i definitley believe i noticed a difference in the performace of my car from the 3.08 ratio to 3.89, but now i have 4.11's and its hard to notice much of a difference between the two.

useless - $1400 is way too much, for diff gears, and i take it at that price they are installed..

i have definitely had troubles getting a good 60ft time at the drags. driver problem obviously, but it will either bog down or get emense amounts of wheelspin.

Rollin has done a 1.94 60ft time which in unbelievable with 3.89's. I would be happy with 2.05-2.10 60fts. Even though i have 4.11 diff gears Rollins gearing is shorter with 3.89's which is allowing him (the buggar) to get such good 60ft times.

with 3.89's and 4.11's i am around 4800- 4950rpm in forth respectivaly.

new gears installed at mal wood are $520.
1100 -1400 is the going rate up here and so I am tempted for them to keep their gears on the shelf.This is gears /bearings and lsd.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 07:50 AM   #12
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

New gearsets alone cost $450 so useless Sydney pricing is correct. Here its around $900 for a ratio change and $1500 with LSD fited drive in drive out.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #13
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TIKFD6 - i am doing 2050rpm at 100km/h with 4.11's...

thats so damn expensive for a gear ratio change... Rollin paid $520 drive in, drive out... i am getting everything new(gears, bearing etc..., (another LSD Rebuilt) axles and fitted for a nice amount... (cant really say, its a steal)... i cant wait either, as i am getting a lightened xr6t flywheel and clutch fitted... DIE EA FLYWHEEL AND GHEY CLUTCH!!!