Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Speed Sensitive Steering

I have just found out that my power steering rack and pump have both kicked the bucket, as they are leaking a bit. I had a safety report done when I had the car lowered the other day, and they said I would be lucky to have a few months left in them.
Anyway, I was looking on ebay for the parts, as the bloke at the tyre place gave me a price that seemed overly high. I have come across two different types of rack, normal and speed sensitive. What is the difference between the two? Is this something the higher series AU's had as an option? If so, can it be adapted to a low series AU?
I did i seach and didnt really come up with much. My guess is that it has something to do with speed and feel, not too sure.

Evan

ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
The Mighty Red

Lift the bonnet of your car, look down to wear your steering column meets the steering rack , looking straight back at you will be a valve attached to the rack , if there is only one valve then it is a standard rack, If it has two valves then it is a speed sensitive rack....
Old 22-01-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
My guess is that it has something to do with speed and feel, not too sure.
Pretty much spot on. My LTD has it, when your only going slow, ie. in carparks; the steering is really light so you can maneuver quickly, but when your going fast, ie. on the highway; its heavier so that you don't flick your car across 3 lanes when you touch the steering wheel
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, I will check it out when I get a chance. So is this something that can be adapted if I don't already have it? Would it be controlled by the ECU, therefore require wiring at all? It sounds like a good safety feature to have if anything.

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
The Mighty Red

you will have to swap like for like only because wherever you get the job done they will require your old rack for changeover to be reconditioned ....

a speed sensitive rack will go straight in without changing anything but like I said they will want to swap like for like on changeover but ring around you might get lucky.....expect to pay about $500 - $550 for a recon rack fitted about $680 for a pedders rack...they are Queensland prices
Old 24-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Damn ... that much for a reco rack ... that's huge.
SOmeone has cornered the market in QLD for reco steering racks.
I got mine for about $250 about a year ago. But that's in Sydney.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats nothinjg, up in Mackay Peddars quoted me $1200ish to fit a new rack. I ended up getting it done elsewhere for less then $500 wich included a few other small jobs.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I know a new one is bloody dear though ... I enquired about it and dropped the though immediately ... could go through so many reco'ed racks to make up the cost of a new one.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the quote I got from Peddars it was for a new rack. Funny thing is, on the quote the rack was only around $400, the rest was made up of bs charges
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2019, 11:31 PM   #10
Hannibal1

Hmmmm
Hannibal1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post