Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
>$3<
Starter Motor

Default Mp3 player Installation

Hi, my first post here...
i joint this forum just today after i bought a Mp3 player for my dads 1999Forte as a gift for his birthday and had my hopes crushed when i was tryin to install it. Well i spent about 1 hr reading the manual of the actuall mp3 player then spen about 4 hours in the car tryin to get the tape player/ dash board off, and then i searched this forum for a few more hours trying to find some sort of a step by step instructions but were unsuccsesfull, then i read some of the actaull ford manual for a while and nothin there either. Any way the closest thing ive found to helping me was this image that i found in one of the posts in this site.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v697/k...urrent=s42.jpg
http://photobucket.com/albums/v697/k...urrent=s41.jpg
any way... so anyhelp would be great n im in a hurry since dads birthday is in a few days.
my main question is how do i get the old tape player out... i was startin to think that i had to rip off the complete dashboard to get it out but after seing that pic i realised its only the oval section in the middle... ive unscrewed the 2 screws that wer behind the ash tray. i cant see any more screws, wats next!?
ive looked behind the place wer the clocks is in some of the models n ive looked behind the panel that has the back window heater etc..

tnx...
The head unit is a boss bamp3500 bought for just 130 from straghtfield used to be 330.

>$3< is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
mattbl

Hi there and welcome to the board.
Have a read of the link below, this may be of some assistance
Cheers
Matt

http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=231

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=5

Edit: added another link as well. I'm sure you'll be able to work it out with these 2 docs
Cheers
Old 05-01-2006, 01:31 AM   #3
>$3<
Starter Motor

thanks that helps a LOT. i now actually have a clue of wat im doin.
just a question:
Quote:
Remove the Centre Console Shroud, by unclipping it from the Instrument faschia
<<< This is talk in about the oval thing right!? ive tried for hours it doesnt come off.. any tips would helpfull.
and also... i read some wer that you have to pull out the old system out usin hooks eg: cloths hanger!? before startin to remove anything else?! if this is so... wer do i connect the hooks to just inside the slot for the cassete!?
thanks
hopefully ill be able to get this done
Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
>$3<
Starter Motor

urrm just an update... i got the top of the oval part of aswell. so so far ive taken out the screws behind ashtray, n the top im guessin there are anther 2 left... but im seriously unable to get them out rite now pretty much all myfingers except for my thumbs are bleeding =D ... some help would be greatly appricated.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #5
>$3<
Starter Motor

Ok that didnt work i coulnt get the 2 side out, even though the top and the bottom wer free. im tryin the coat hanger method now...
Old 05-01-2006, 11:14 PM   #6
EvilChief
Boost Addict

in order to replace the stereo system there is no need to pull out the entore oval piece ... all you need to remove is the actual tape unit itself. to so you stil 4 pieces of coat hanger into the 4 hohles of the original tape deck until u hear a click. It helps if u bend the end of teh coat hanger inwards just a little, so you can hook behind the clip. Once you can feel all wires are hooked in you can start pulling out the tape deck. The little pocket underneath sometimes slides out as well, as its only clipped in and can get caught (note: pocket only there on single din tape decks).

from there the installation is to be done as documented in the manual of ur mp3 player
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 11:23 PM   #7
>$3<
Starter Motor

ok thanx a lot...i was in the car for about 8 hours today, each of my finger tips is at least cut in 2 places but still im gonna be tryin to do this myself, with the coat hanger thing, firstly it wont come out very easily but i have a feeling if i play around with it for a while ill be able to get it out its just that the 2 bottom holes dont seem to "click" no matter how far i go. and also lets say i take out the tape player... dont i still have to screw the new player to the sides of the slot, meaning that i still have to get the oval piece off!? Also i read that there is a complete installation guid in "gregory's manual" which contains diagrams etc.. n der was a link but the link is not vaild. anyway ill be back in the car tommorow cutting up more of my flesh.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:01 AM   #8
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by >$3<
ok thanx a lot...i was in the car for about 8 hours today, each of my finger tips is at least cut in 2 places but still im gonna be tryin to do this myself, with the coat hanger thing, firstly it wont come out very easily but i have a feeling if i play around with it for a while ill be able to get it out its just that the 2 bottom holes dont seem to "click" no matter how far i go. and also lets say i take out the tape player... dont i still have to screw the new player to the sides of the slot, meaning that i still have to get the oval piece off!? Also i read that there is a complete installation guid in "gregory's manual" which contains diagrams etc.. n der was a link but the link is not vaild. anyway ill be back in the car tommorow cutting up more of my flesh.
you dont need to screw it in .. the new player will come with a kind of metal casing that will be secured/clipped into the original position of teh tape deck. the the mp3 player will clip into that casing, no need for screws or drilling stuff or similar ... :
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold

Old 06-01-2006, 02:02 AM   #9
>$3<
Starter Motor

yeh i got the two metal bits ill work out what ill do once i actually get the factory one out. correction IF i get the factory one out lol
Edit: I heard that shops such as Ford, stratfield, jb hifi etc take out the origianl player for free is that true?
Old 06-01-2006, 02:05 AM   #10
EvilChief
Boost Addict

haha, if you dont just go to a stereo install place and ask them to pull it for ya ... for a couple bucks they happily will do it, in most casesthey do it for free, it takes 20sec if that
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold

Old 06-01-2006, 02:09 AM   #11
>$3<
Starter Motor

ill probebly try it a few more times my self, then if i couldnt do it ill drop down to ford its a 30 second drive there from my hosue anyway =D.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #12
>$3<
Starter Motor

I went to jb hifi today n the guy said that he'd charge me 40 bucks just to take the unit out even though it costs 66 dollars to remove+install everything...what happened to
Quote:
If they dont do it to free they will do it for a few bucks
~sigh~ dads birthday is in 2 days =(
Old 08-01-2006, 11:32 PM   #13
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

try a FORD dealership matey
they know they can be right pain!!
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 01:20 AM   #14
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
I went to jb hifi today n the guy said that he'd charge me 40 bucks just to take the unit out even though it costs 66 dollars to remove+install everything...what happened to ~sigh~ dads birthday is in 2 days =(
rip off ...
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold

Old 09-01-2006, 01:35 AM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
I went to jb hifi today n the guy said that he'd charge me 40 bucks just to take the unit out even though it costs 66 dollars to remove+install everything...what happened to ~sigh~ dads birthday is in 2 days =(
I have the proper removal tools - got them for nix from Strathfield a few years ago. Sp tell JB to stick it, and go to another installer.

Ford may charge you $5/$10 to do it, but if you know the service guys at your local dealer, then they should do it for nothing, as long as it comes out easily.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 02:33 AM   #16
>$3<
Starter Motor

are the 2 removal tools the key lookin things...!? cause i got a pair with the new head unit... but still i cant get it though to reach far enough
Old 09-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #17
EvilChief
Boost Addict

no the new headunit most like has a diff removal system ... ford's removal system is very similar to VT/X HU removal
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold

Old 09-01-2006, 10:20 PM   #18
>$3<
Starter Motor

damn, just wonderin how much do these tools cost!? JC said he got them from stratfield...
Old 09-01-2006, 10:23 PM   #19
>$3<
Starter Motor

And also after spednding easly over 20 hours lookin for ways to remove this hu in the past week or so, ive found out that many people have got theirs out use butter knives etc... Hows this possible when you cant get pretty much anything past the 2 sides of the stereo!?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:11 PM   #20
>$3<
Starter Motor

apparantly the two spring thingys on the sides are broken n the only way to get the stereo out is to "destroy" the dashboard... Thats what ford and a couple of other installers that actually looked at the stereo said.
so ill be taken the mp3 player back now :(
Old 10-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #21
HLC
Audi S3

whoa whoa whoa.

ok perform a basic search. there are about a gazillion threads about the stereo removal.

or you could go to strathfield, and get them to install if for $88 and get warranty.

ok, to remove the stereo, get a wire coathange. cut 2 long lengths, and bend them into a U shape. and put them in the holes on the fron of the headunit til it clicks. now you either bend them inwards, towards each other or away, i cant remember. play around with that. then reach in under the ashtray and push the back of the HU. thats how i got mine out.

just read the bad news. all that man-handling has effed it up. :(
Old 10-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #22
HLC
Audi S3

what city you in mate? im sure someone will happily come have a look at it for you?
Old 10-01-2006, 05:28 PM   #23
SIKSIX
Its gone V

hey try the coat hanger trick again but when you put all four of them in try and apply pressure outwards on the coathanger bits then pull out. if not do one side at a time with one finger in the tape part and the other on the coathangers.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #24
>$3<
Starter Motor

lol, the thing with the holes now is that they wont click. The coat hanger goes all the way to the back of the dash. Anyway when i tried to take it back to straghtfield the guy convinced me that i should give their installer guy a try aswell and charged me 80. Well im pretty sure he wont be able to take it out anyway because be sides ford n otehr shops i took it to a car audio expert. He was the one that said that the best way is to smash the dash.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:54 PM   #25
EvilChief
Boost Addict

on that case pay the 100 bucks and get some guy to install it, so if he ИИИИs up he has to pay for it or find a sokution for it. especially you dont have to kill urself with soldering ion and breath the lovely solder fumes ;) ... by the sound of things it would really be easier for you just to get it done by someone.

btw there is a way to get behind stereo without taking of the front cover, but only of you have extremely small hands and dont mind cutting them
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold