Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2024, 06:30 PM   #1
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Holden Museum closing it’s doors

I recommend anyone who hasn’t been there to get there before it closes.
Whether your red or blue it’s going to be a sad day when the museum closes!

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...h&opi=89978449
Old 19-01-2024, 06:40 PM   #2
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: Holden Museum closing it’s doors

Time for some schadenfreude

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2024, 06:50 PM   #3
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Time for some schadenfreude

Well they were/are a couple of old retired blokes who run it and Holden was there passion. I’m one of the biggest Fordies out there but I take no pleasure in the National Holden Museum closing…
Old 19-01-2024, 07:08 PM   #4
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Visited many times, always a pleasure to wander through. The place wasn't flashy like some museums, but the content was the star.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2024, 09:36 PM   #5
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

A very interesting exhibit was a silver Holden JB Camira SL/e wagon. From a distance it looked like a car but with very dark tinted windows. However it was made of balsa wood but looked 100% real. Given Holden designed the J car wagon rear third (and pressed at Fishermen's bend and exported rear panels all round the world) this is a significant te.

Actually in 83 my mum took me to see a Holden collection Canterbury Rd, Bayswater, Melbourne. A lot of these vehicles migrated to Echuca.

Fun fact: Holden designed and pressed the rear doors of HB Torana our door...again exported.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2024, 12:07 AM   #6
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbvbvb088 View Post
Fun fact: Holden designed and pressed the rear doors of HB Torana our door...again exported.
I believe they designed and engineered the entire 4 door body here as until we adopted the Vauxhal HB Viva as the Torana it was only available in 2 door saloon and 3 door wagon varients.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2024, 08:41 PM   #7
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

As mentioned, with this museum within a hour's drive from me, I visited a number of times over the years.

For me, the most interesting aspects where the prototype areas. For the most part, the displays were static, only a couple of vehicles were rotated in and out, so if you went in 2008, chances are the same cars and displays would be there if you went yesterday. And if you didn't leave with that tacky "Holding You in My Holden" jingle stuck in your head, consider yourself lucky!

These images are from 2008. The lighting within the facility was pretty ordinary, so the photos reflect that.

Mustang GT

7 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2024, 08:48 PM   #8
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Continued..................

This thing doesn't deserve a place in a museum in my opinion...............

Holden propaganda in full swing. "Global Technology"............that was 20 years out of date when it arrived in Australia and would chop out tyres in no time.

The V2 Monaro has always been a favorite of mine, the only Holden I would cross the line to own. It's funny, the conservative and clean styling that made it so wonderful is exactly what the American's hated about the Pontiac GTO version, even with the hideous nostrils.

Mustang GT

Old 20-01-2024, 09:34 PM   #9
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know anything about how many people visit on an annual basis or what not, but it is surprising that there was no business case for anyone to want to buy it and take it on.
I guess the numbers don't stack up for what they were asking ect.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2024, 10:04 PM   #10
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I don't know anything about how many people visit on an annual basis or what not, but it is surprising that there was no business case for anyone to want to buy it and take it on.
The reality is, the museum is/was located in a small country town. Granted, Echuca has a healthy tourism sector, but the location would limit the amount of people passing through the place compared to if it was in a capital city.

Like the Ford Discovery Centre, having a single-make museum would be limiting factor as well. Any potential buyer is boxing themselves into a corner and relying on Ford or Holden-only fans to be the foot traffic.
Mustang GT

Old 20-01-2024, 10:04 PM   #11
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Outstanding DFB with your pics…
I was there middle of 2023 and thought it was outstanding. Had a great chat with the gentlemen that were at the front counter on that particular day and I had a Ford jacket on at the time so there was joke or 2 shared.
Iirc Shane Jacobson had his Kingswood there from the movie Charlie and Boots also.
Old 20-01-2024, 10:15 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
It sounds harsh, but I think the majority of museums are shot ducks. People won’t make the time for a proper visit; any number of excuses why but the reality is they don’t come like forty years ago.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2024, 01:12 AM   #13
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Over and above DFB, you deserve some sort of award for your recent contributions.
Thanks for sharing these ones
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2024, 01:15 AM   #14
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It sounds harsh, but I think the majority of museums are shot ducks. People won’t make the time for a proper visit; any number of excuses why but the reality is they don’t come like forty years ago.
Visit the small town type and you might be in there by yourself.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2024, 08:04 AM   #15
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Might survive a bit longer if they install multiple charging points for EV's & a decent café ??
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2024, 09:33 PM   #16
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

CATALOGUING IS IN FULL SWING!!!!!!

National Holden Motor Museum Auction, Echuca 18th & 19th May
Website is being updated regularly so keep checking the below website for updated photos

https://burnsandcoauctions.com.au/na...useum-auction/
Mustang GT

Old 18-04-2024, 10:13 PM   #17
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Continued..................

This thing doesn't deserve a place in a museum in my opinion...............

Brand new Alloytech engine with nothing carried over from he old Ecotech engine and a brand new factory to build it in. Yet the engine was so underwhelming. The Barra gave it more than a run for it's money!

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
2 users like this post:
Old 18-04-2024, 10:58 PM   #18
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Brand new Alloytech engine with nothing carried over from he old Ecotech engine and a brand new factory to build it in. Yet the engine was so underwhelming. The Barra gave it more than a run for it's money!
At the time, everyone had high expectations for what was originally called the HFV6 (High Feature V6). As you say, all new from the ground up, and in Australia, built in a new facility. The media were frothing at the mouth over it.

All that GM bravado about benchmarking V6 engines from Honda, Nissan and Toyota, all that money they spent and..................... the Alloytec still lagged behind all of its key rivals in Australia. I remember reading the Wheels article that put the new SV6 up against the XR6 and Magna VRX, even pro-Holden Wheels was questioning the lack of advancement the new engine brought to the table.

Just think of that, a brand-new engine with a global budget being shadowed by an engine that could trace roots back to 1959, and one that two years earlier was updated on a shoestring budget via a new cylinder head and little else. Then consider the two Japanese V6's from Mitsubishi and Toyota smashing the Alloytec out of the park, both engines from the early 90's.

I can just image the GM development team pulling apart other companies' engines, liking what they saw, they then started designing their own version. Then the finance department comes in and demanded they build it cheaper. And when they made it cheaper, they were asked to make it even cheaper. All the while not understanding how the Japanese don't compromise on material quality for their products, rather they kept the cost down via manufacturing efficiency. The result was a wheezy, unreliable boat anchor. Typical GM.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2024, 08:36 AM   #19
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
At the time, everyone had high expectations for what was originally called the HFV6 (High Feature V6). As you say, all new from the ground up, and in Australia, built in a new facility. The media were frothing at the mouth over it.

All that GM bravado about benchmarking V6 engines from Honda, Nissan and Toyota, all that money they spent and..................... the Alloytec still lagged behind all of its key rivals in Australia. I remember reading the Wheels article that put the new SV6 up against the XR6 and Magna VRX, even pro-Holden Wheels was questioning the lack of advancement the new engine brought to the table.

Just think of that, a brand-new engine with a global budget being shadowed by an engine that could trace roots back to 1959, and one that two years earlier was updated on a shoestring budget via a new cylinder head and little else. Then consider the two Japanese V6's from Mitsubishi and Toyota smashing the Alloytec out of the park, both engines from the early 90's.

I can just image the GM development team pulling apart other companies' engines, liking what they saw, they then started designing their own version. Then the finance department comes in and demanded they build it cheaper. And when they made it cheaper, they were asked to make it even cheaper. All the while not understanding how the Japanese don't compromise on material quality for their products, rather they kept the cost down via manufacturing efficiency. The result was a wheezy, unreliable boat anchor. Typical GM.
Yes I remember dealing with the Holden purchasing department - they were ruthless. Although there were many good people at Holden I dealt with, the company was toxic. I am glad it is gone. I still have my HF V6 team shirt.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
3 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2024, 11:06 AM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The irony is the alloytec responds very well to boost, and there was a 2.8L single turbo version being made of it for SAAB in Port Melbourne that Holden overlooked.

Would have been a great competitor to the XR6T if it was offered in the SV6.

Have the 3.6L NA boat anchor as the entry level option then the SV6 with the turbo job from the GM parts bin.

The previous 3.8L Ecotec while being unrefined is tough as nails, all cast iron job and a wicked workhorse engine with reliability on par with our I6.

The HF V6 is trash in comparison, it's more refined but it's a torqueless piece of shit that's very sensitive to maintenance.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2024, 01:27 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The irony is the alloytec responds very well to boost, and there was a 2.8L single turbo version being made of it for SAAB in Port Melbourne that Holden overlooked.

Would have been a great competitor to the XR6T if it was offered in the SV6.

Have the 3.6L NA boat anchor as the entry level option then the SV6 with the turbo job from the GM parts bin.

The previous 3.8L Ecotec while being unrefined is tough as nails, all cast iron job and a wicked workhorse engine with reliability on par with our I6.

The HF V6 is trash in comparison, it's more refined but it's a torqueless piece of shit that's very sensitive to maintenance.
LP9 is the engine code of the SAAB job built in Port Melbourne

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_H...ure_engine#LP9

Also something else from Holden's history that was a bit underdone was the L67, It's a supercharged version of the 3.8L Ecotec - the issue with its lame performance figures was the undersized Eaton M90 supercharger that was basically a hair drier.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2024, 02:15 PM   #22
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It’s the same engine as Zb which develops its maximum torque at 5500 rpm quite bizarre
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2024, 02:51 PM   #23
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

All the ironies of where this thread has ended up. It’s like a wake devolving into a discussion of the deceased’s favourite shoes. Or people going to see a musician just to hear one or two tunes from their repertory of 50 years ago.

A more apposite summary of the original topic might be: “Museum dedicated to discontinued car brand, closes due to lack of commercial sustainability as visitors diminish year on year.”
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2024, 03:40 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
It’s the same engine as Zb which develops its maximum torque at 5500 rpm quite bizarre
I hate the way the VEII/VF/VFII V6 drives, it's got absolutely nothing sub 4500 RPM, then it really moves off, reminds me of the 5.4 4V in the BA/BF XR8 Falcons except even worse.

It's no good for a large heavy sedan and that's where if the Commodore had the Barra it's be the best car ever, as the rest of the VF is great
Old 19-04-2024, 03:56 PM   #25
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recent driving of the SIDI one I actually liked it. Compared a late Barra on the same day which shifted early and choked itself (that would adapt over time and just be the driver software I guess). But the Holden V6 was fun to punt around an industrial area.

I remember the very strong meh on driving the HFV6 for the first time in a new VZ - told the old man to keep his VY.

Also, with the late SIDI ones they made a factory Australian E85 compatible flex fuel motor, those will be golden once missiles start flying in the SCS and our petrol and diesel ship imports get disrupted and the 12 days of reserve fuel is gone. GMH were very ahead of their time.

Looking at those brilliant pics DFB, we used to make all of that here. Now we make lattes.
Old 19-04-2024, 04:00 PM   #26
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

186 was their best 6 imo.

Peak torque at 1600 revs, take that diesels.
Old 19-04-2024, 04:28 PM   #27
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Recent driving of the SIDI one I actually liked it. Compared a late Barra on the same day which shifted early and choked itself (that would adapt over time and just be the driver software I guess). But the Holden V6 was fun to punt around an industrial area.

I remember the very strong meh on driving the HFV6 for the first time in a new VZ - told the old man to keep his VY.

Also, with the late SIDI ones they made a factory Australian E85 compatible flex fuel motor, those will be golden once missiles start flying in the SCS and our petrol and diesel ship imports get disrupted and the 12 days of reserve fuel is gone. GMH were very ahead of their time.

Looking at those brilliant pics DFB, we used to make all of that here. Now we make lattes.

Quoting myself lol

Just read Israel has begun to strike back at Iran... no geopol risk on that for E85 haha!
Old 19-04-2024, 04:49 PM   #28
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I hate the way the VEII/VF/VFII V6 drives, it's got absolutely nothing sub 4500 RPM, then it really moves off, reminds me of the 5.4 4V in the BA/BF XR8 Falcons except even worse.

It's no good for a large heavy sedan and that's where if the Commodore had the Barra it's be the best car ever, as the rest of the VF is great
You must have driven "Friday build" cars Franco. Or maybe the VFs are better than the VE versions.

I have 2 VF V6s, my 3.6 SV6 sedan & the better half's 3.0 Berlina Sportwagon. Both good reliable daily drivers, both now nearing nearing 200,000 km on the clock.

The 3.0 wagon goes almost as well as the SV6, plus is very economical. We can drive Sydney metro to Melbourne metro without refuelling.

The main thing with both the Alloytecs & the SIDI version is regular oil changes with a quality oil.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: