Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Classic Mustang or Classic Falcon
66 Mustang Coupe 21 29.17%
67 XR Falcon 51 70.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2023, 06:42 PM   #91
HIPO
Al

Default Re: Classic Falcon vs Classic Mustang

Dont be in a hurry, lots of nice cars dont seem to be moving ATM even with their prices dropping.. looking to be approaching the bottom of the swing for now maybe!
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2023, 08:42 PM   #92
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

the ones that are not moving are the rip off merchants or dreamers - they are there pre covid and obviously post.
blueoval don't rush, even that you know these 2 cars/owners, they will follow the market pricing that for now it still too inflated on anything that isn't rig dij original.
Originals I get it asking premium price in good or bad times for that specific buyer willing to pay more.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2023, 09:10 PM   #93
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
the ones that are not moving are the rip off merchants or dreamers - they are there pre covid and obviously post.
blueoval don't rush, even that you know these 2 cars/owners, they will follow the market pricing that for now it still too inflated on anything that isn't rig dij original.
Originals I get it asking premium price in good or bad times for that specific buyer willing to pay more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO
Dont be in a hurry, lots of nice cars dont seem to be moving ATM even with their prices dropping.. looking to be approaching the bottom of the swing for now maybe!
Appreciate your comments lads. I definitely don't want to rush abd be ripped off but I am prepared to spend on something worthwhile if I see it.

Another thing I want to avoid are cars that could have been in floods etc. Seens a few regional Vic/NSW classics up for sale (not necessarily mustang or XR related) and I always wonder.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2023, 07:37 AM   #94
myrpo

Whats its intended use again?

Reckon if a Mustang is not right drive in Australia its only half a car, this is not America. But then also recon if its not matching numbers than its just another dunger, no matter how rare or restored. Genuine brings the bucks, dungers are not hard to find, more so just a matter of time.

I'd go the XR if the mate can be trusted. I'd even keep the 6 pack if numbers match and drop some coin into making that bad boy work. Reckon a clean original sleeper appeals to most. And lets face it they are wild ride outside a straight line. In the end though, even with the v8 conversion and as a dunger, there are far fewer than the Mustangs. Mustangs are striking but there are hundred's of thousands of them. If not here than in America.

Have you considered a later model Mustang? Drop a cam in that makes the boobs wobble, and a super charger to make it zing. Maybe even a convertible? Pretty sure that will appeal to younger folk far more. My 13yo son loves the new mustangs, as for the 66 classic it rates a 0. That is what old people would drive. He would have no idea what an XR is or care.

A note on convertibles, I have not met a woman yet who likes them. They mess with the hair.
myrpo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2023, 11:05 AM   #95
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrpo View Post
Whats its intended use again?

Reckon if a Mustang is not right drive in Australia its only half a car, this is not America. But then also recon if its not matching numbers than its just another dunger, no matter how rare or restored. Genuine brings the bucks, dungers are not hard to find, more so just a matter of time.

I'd go the XR if the mate can be trusted. I'd even keep the 6 pack if numbers match and drop some coin into making that bad boy work. Reckon a clean original sleeper appeals to most. And lets face it they are wild ride outside a straight line. In the end though, even with the v8 conversion and as a dunger, there are far fewer than the Mustangs. Mustangs are striking but there are hundred's of thousands of them. If not here than in America.

Have you considered a later model Mustang? Drop a cam in that makes the boobs wobble, and a super charger to make it zing. Maybe even a convertible? Pretty sure that will appeal to younger folk far more. My 13yo son loves the new mustangs, as for the 66 classic it rates a 0. That is what old people would drive. He would have no idea what an XR is or care.

A note on convertibles, I have not met a woman yet who likes them. They mess with the hair.
Interesting take mate. Appreciate the comments.

Intended use is for wine tours & weddings, but mostly cruise to cars and coffee meets and cruising in general.

RHD would be ideal but I'd need to know if it has been done legally and engineered appropriately mainly for insurance purposes. A lefty I don't mind and I know there will be some learning and patience involved to get used to.

My mate with the XR I have known for more than 25years. His family and my family go way back. He is very high up in the GT Falcon car club and definitely knows his falcons intimately, specifically GT's. I have no reason to not trust him. Again, the reason I am thinking of this XR is due to sentimental reasons. It was one of my wedding cars. It's still in great condition and other than an engine/gearbox change, it's all original exterior and interior. He still has the original 6 and trans also.

I realize there are millions of Mustangs out there. I know there are tonnes of them. But I have always had a fascination with the classics for years. Hence my interest. As for the modern ones, yes I do like them but unless its a Bullitt or Mach1 or something unique, they are just as common. The classics here in SA you don't see that often. But when they are out, I rubber neck every time no matter the marque. The classics are easier to work on also. No computers, no tech. That has a huge appeal for me and ANY mechanic worth his weight will know how to tune one.

Convertible, I would definitely consider, but they are at least a 10k premium over what I am prepared to spend. I have however thought about it with weddings etc as it would make for a better car for wedding photography. A number of people here have already stated the pro's and con's of wedding cars which I have noted. It's not off the table.

Im still very torn between my head and my heart.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-04-2023, 11:34 AM   #96
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Being your history with the XR and the owner/GT Club affiliation and all the XR is the goer imo.
Got way more leg room in the room obviously, therefore you can take 4 on the wine tours for eg.
The Ponys (old models) are everywhere compared to the XR, LHdrive sucks might I add and convertables, meh, a coupe kills em let alone sedan.
Come on go the XR - aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2023, 12:20 PM   #97
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

For what it's worth, blueoval, here's my views. Only you know the value of the sentiment in the XR. And only you know how much you love the thought of owning a classic Mustang.

As you can see here, there's thoughts either way as to which way other people would go, but they don't have the same investment in the purchase as you do. I haven't done the calcs, but it looks pretty much 50:50 at this stage, altho the voting is 30:70 in favour of the XR.

Go with the heart, mate and not the head. It sounds like either car would do exactly what you want from it. Sure there may be a little bit of difference from the commercial aspects, but who really cares once you're driving the car that you just LOVE!

Whichever way you go, I'm sure you'll be making the right decision. Just go with the one that makes you happiest.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2023, 12:29 PM   #98
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

What would be the cost of commercial rego and correct insurance?

One for the quantity surveyors; work out a net cost per projected kilometre and net cost of contracted driver for whatever portion thereof.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2023, 12:56 PM   #99
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
What would be the cost of commercial rego and correct insurance?

One for the quantity surveyors; work out a net cost per projected kilometre and net cost of contracted driver for whatever portion thereof.
I havent done the sums in full setup but from what I have seen, you have to go all in to make it worthwhile. ABN, Full insurance to suit the business, chauffeur license, police check, the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
Being your history with the XR and the owner/GT Club affiliation and all the XR is the goer imo.
Got way more leg room in the room obviously, therefore you can take 4 on the wine tours for eg.
The Ponys (old models) are everywhere compared to the XR, LHdrive sucks might I add and convertables, meh, a coupe kills em let alone sedan.
Come on go the XR - aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi
Hahaha, cheers mate. All excellent points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
For what it's worth, blueoval, here's my views. Only you know the value of the sentiment in the XR. And only you know how much you love the thought of owning a classic Mustang.

As you can see here, there's thoughts either way as to which way other people would go, but they don't have the same investment in the purchase as you do. I haven't done the calcs, but it looks pretty much 50:50 at this stage, altho the voting is 30:70 in favour of the XR.

Go with the heart, mate and not the head. It sounds like either car would do exactly what you want from it. Sure there may be a little bit of difference from the commercial aspects, but who really cares once you're driving the car that you just LOVE!

Whichever way you go, I'm sure you'll be making the right decision. Just go with the one that makes you happiest.
Well said mate. The fact of the matter is, I am sentimental about the Mustang from teenage years and watching Gary Myers rip up the tarmac at Summernats. This XR alone is where the sentiment lies too. No other XR or falcon (partial to an XE ESP) gives me those feelings. I have memories in that car purely from my wedding and also cruising in the car when I was a teenager.

Either way, I don't think I will be disappointed but at the same time I dont want any regrets.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2023, 01:13 PM   #100
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I havent done the sums in full setup but from what I have seen, you have to go all in to make it worthwhile. ABN, Full insurance to suit the business, chauffeur license, police check, the works.

Hahaha, cheers mate. All excellent points.

Well said mate. The fact of the matter is, I am sentimental about the Mustang from teenage years and watching Gary Myers rip up the tarmac at Summernats. This XR alone is where the sentiment lies too. No other XR or falcon (partial to an XE ESP) gives me those feelings. I have memories in that car purely from my wedding and also cruising in the car when I was a teenager.

Either way, I don't think I will be disappointed but at the same time I dont want any regrets.
I understand, But if you don't make a decision, the opportunity may pass you by, too.

Sometimes, making a decision is the best decision. Stick with your gut and don't look back. Enjoy the purchase for what it is and only use that rearview mirror to be checking out how much your paying passengers are enjoying their ride!

I get being cautious. But being too cautious can be just as bad as jumping in without doing your research first.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2023, 01:20 PM   #101
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
I understand, But if you don't make a decision, the opportunity may pass you by, too.

Sometimes, making a decision is the best decision. Stick with your gut and don't look back. Enjoy the purchase for what it is and only use that rearview mirror to be checking out how much your paying passengers are enjoying their ride!

I get being cautious. But being too cautious can be just as bad as jumping in without doing your research first.
I reckon you're spot on.

I dont usually call myself a procrastinator but with something like this I have been procrastinating like crazy.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-01-2024, 04:42 PM   #102
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Sorry to thread mine.

Its been a while since I wrote this poll up and I made my decision based on a few things.

As you can see by the photos, I went with the classic 1967 XR Falcon 500. Ive been working on it nearly every weekend for the past 6 months trying to get it ready for some summer cruising. Its taken longer than I expected but I think the wait was worth it.

I will create its own dedicated thread about the plans for it and some additional photos to add to it too. Let me know what you think.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 29-01-2024, 05:30 PM   #103
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

IMO… perfect choice, XR XT falcons are my favourites, way better choice than the mustang, congrats, look forward to the thread
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2024, 05:57 PM   #104
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Wow that is mint, that that distance it doesnt look like it needs much at all. Congrats!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2024, 05:58 PM   #105
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Excellent choice - much better than Mustang
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2024, 06:28 PM   #106
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Wow looks great and good to hear you found a car you're happy with.
Looking forward to reading the thread about it.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2024, 06:51 PM   #107
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
Wow looks great and good to hear you found a car you're happy with.
Looking forward to reading the thread about it.
Thanks mate. This is very much the epitome of classic. So very basic, but you feel alive when you drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000
IMO… perfect choice, XR XT falcons are my favourites, way better choice than the mustang, congrats, look forward to the thread
I love the XR purely based on the history and sentimentality behind it. I still and always will love 60s mustangs though. Maybe in the future I may get to won both. But I'm enjoying the Aussie nostalgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Wow that is mint, that that distance it doesnt look like it needs much at all. Congrats!
Every panel is straight and rust free and not a spot of bog. A very honest and what could be considered to be a survivor car. The body of what car I was getting had to meet that criteria first and foremost. Paint and Panel costs these days are insane so I wanted to avoid going down that path if I could. There is still some work to do as you will see on the build thread but all in due time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8
Excellent choice - much better than Mustang
Thanks mate. As I said above, I still love my mustangs, but the XR was bought with nostalgia and sentimentality in mind. It's been a journey.

See new thread here:

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11500002

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2024, 10:25 PM   #108
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice choice mate, nothing better than working on a car improving it and running it down some backroad blacktop.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2024, 10:54 PM   #109
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
Nice choice mate, nothing better than working on a car improving it and running it down some backroad blacktop.
Thats pretty much how I intend to drive it. Just enjoying the aussie roads and the feeling it comes just enjoying a piece of history.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont