Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
monte.b

Default Fuel usage

I usually drive my falcon ute however over the weekend i had to drive down the sunny coast so i thought id use my daughters nissan tida ,now we had 4 people in the car and as it was raining had the aircon engaged most of the time on the demister ,the little bludger of a thing used 10 ltrs per 100klm ,thats worse than i get with my ute ,it usually gets about 9 on a good run ,my question is are these fuel figures used to sell these little 4 cylinder cars taken with just one person in the car or no people in the car ,seems to me if you want to transport 4 people and a bit of luggage it would run out cheaper and a bloody lot more comfortable to run a falcon ,makes you wonder thats for sure

monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fuel usage

Spot on mate, lots of aussies have bought into the small car myth. A mate at work just had a coronary when he realised his 2 yr. 20000km old Subaru is up for a $700 major service.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do a comparison. Go for the same drive with 4 people in the Ute!
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't reckon the falcon is all that bad on fuel. put a decent load in a 4 cylinder buzz box and watch the fuel economy go down
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My Falcon won't get under 11.5L/100km average speed 54km/h indicated, and I live 55km out of work mainly highway driving with just me in the car as the toolbox doesn't fit in the boot standing up.

My diesel Focus does about 5L-5.5L/100km flat with the toolbox and me in it on the same 550km weekly driving to work.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
I reckon it would do better but I don't think the police will like that!!!
This user likes this post:
Old 12-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My FG 9.8l/km with me only. About 10.5l/km with passenger and two dirt bikes (ute). Ace.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
I reckon it would do better but I don't think the police will like that!!!
so your saying you can't put cement bags of equivalent weight in the tray?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My BF GT, tuned with around 400hp will cruise on interstate trips, fully loaded with luggage and 4 people in it for an average of 9.5 litres per 100km, a friends Honda 4 cylinder used 12 litres on the same trip driving behind me, this was Sydney to Gold Coast.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #10
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
My BF GT, tuned with around 400hp will cruise on interstate trips, fully loaded with luggage and 4 people in it for an average of 9.5 litres per 100km, a friends Honda 4 cylinder used 12 litres on the same trip driving behind me, this was Sydney to Gold Coast.
That's a seriously out of tune Honda. Should be getting around 7 litres per 100k's on the open road.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and how long will a light car last running the same loads as a proper family sedan ........ not very long i suspect.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #12
monte.b

Smile Re: Fuel usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
Well i did check it out with a cleveland ,c4 and 9in in the rear ,thats a lot of very fat people
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are based in the city at the moment and are averaging 5.8 litres per 100km in the Camry Hybrid. A Subaru Forester averaged around 13.5 in similar driving.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
burnz
VFII SS UTE

people are missing the wet road here.

it takes more horse power/ fuel... to push water out of four wheels than an aircon at full tilt.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #15
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildrider View Post
I don't reckon the falcon is all that bad on fuel. put a decent load in a 4 cylinder buzz box and watch the fuel economy go down
Like a buzz box EcoBoost ?

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #16
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
so your saying you can't put cement bags of equivalent weight in the tray?
no I am saying you cant put four people in the ute
Old 12-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #17
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
Like a buzz box EcoBoost ?
didnt really think the ecoboost was a buzz box but if you wanna call it one then that's your opinion.

the buzz box in this case would be most four cylinder cars that people see as economical. even thou we know ecoboost is economical. most people wont believe it and will go for a four cylinder car which they think is more economical like a four cylinder camry (not hybrid)
Old 13-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #18
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 2.0l Lancer was using 9.7l/100 km in heavy city traffic. Gone to the FG and it's using 11.3 in the same driving (ZF). For me, that works to be about $300 a year difference...would rather drive the 4.0 litre than have the extra $300. Compared to my old Falcon which returned 14.5 l/100 km it's great.
Old 13-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #19
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

my little 1.6 clio does about 6.7L/100km is suburban driving...with a bit of a heavy right foot...various BA-BF's 6's i've had were always about 11-12L same roads, same driving
clio once managed 5.7L grandma driving in the suburbs...couldn't get it lower than that, which sucks...i was hunting the prius...lol

clio stays about 6-6.2L on the highway, and that's at a steady 3,500rpm or so at 110kph...if it had a 6th gear...boy that would come way down
BA/BF was always about 8-9L highway...but much more comfortable of course...but i don't go far from home these days, clio will help my wallet for now

previously...AUII Futura, BAII XR6T ute, BFII XT, BF XR6...with a holden barina & a renault clio thown in at times of financial crisis
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #20
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte.b View Post
I usually drive my falcon ute however over the weekend i had to drive down the sunny coast so i thought id use my daughters nissan tida ,now we had 4 people in the car and as it was raining had the aircon engaged most of the time on the demister ,the little bludger of a thing used 10 ltrs per 100klm ,thats worse than i get with my ute ,it usually gets about 9 on a good run ,my question is are these fuel figures used to sell these little 4 cylinder cars taken with just one person in the car or no people in the car ,seems to me if you want to transport 4 people and a bit of luggage it would run out cheaper and a bloody lot more comfortable to run a falcon ,makes you wonder thats for sure
How many people do cars these days usually carry though? The rate of occupancy for the average trip has been decreasing over the years so there's a lot of empty seats being driven around. In Vic it's currently somewhere around 1.2-1.25 people/car for the average urban commute, and about 1.14 in morning peak hour freeway traffic (average travel speeds are falling too).

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...t201011WEB.pdf

For long trips with family and luggage perhaps people are more likely now than ever to just fly there.
Old 13-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #21
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my brand new fiesta CL manual does 7.1l/100km from Wollongong to Nowra as there is alot of 100kmh driving where as my 2001 commodore wagon gets 7.5l/100km on the same trip as it loves the 100kmh driving and i can overtake in the commodore.
Fiesta is great around town but a 12y/o commodore is much better on the freeway and uses pretty much the same fuel.
different story around town though the commy is about 11.5l and the fiesta is 7.3l.
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
strobe

There was a drive small car comparison a while back which claimed they were running a mazda 3 at around 12l.

here it is...
http://smh.drive.com.au/new-car-comp...524-2k4nf.html
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

I got mine down as low as 8.5 from Gladstone to Brisbane with a passenger and some luggage in the tray.
Old 13-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #24
westy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte.b View Post
Yes it's the myth of the small car is 'greener'. It's all a marketing ploy. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

My old man has a BA Fairmont. Still has it.
Now when he cruises the highway he gets 8's and has even had high 7's. So moral of the story. Don't believe everything you read or get fed. Try it out yourself and see. Just because you are told it's greener and more fuel efficient doesn't mean it is especially in non-lab conditions.

Also what are the differences in weight of the Nissan compared to the ute ?
Be interesting to see for some people have said load the ute up with 4 people. A true comparison is actually have both cars at the same weight and drive the same distance. Then see what the Fuel Economy is off both.

I'd bet the Ute wins.
westy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #25
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 4.0L BA and my 8.2L Chrysler stroker get a similar milage to each other- The BA gets 11.5Litres/100K's and the Chrysler gets 11.5Miles/Gallon....
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #26
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I average 10L/100Ks in the AU ute
That's across the board,city,highway,loaded,unloaded
Im not interested in a one off "world record economy figure"
Its what it averages out at,over its total driving
Who cares,if one person driving like a granny gets 5L/100Ks, but when theres 3 or more,a boot full of stuff, up a hill with a headwind it gets 15L/100Ks
Its the average
Anything more than 1 person, you cant go past the 6s as the better overall package
Would I pay an extra few bucks per 100Ks to be in something im not crammed in like a weetie in a weetie box,you bet
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is amazing how so many drive Falcons and get somewhere between 5 and 15l/100km all the time yet they ALL run out of fuel at about 500-600km........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #28
westy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
It is amazing how so many drive Falcons and get somewhere between 5 and 15l/100km all the time yet they ALL run out of fuel at about 500-600km........
Are you serious ?
I have a tezza (this is not a Falcon but does have the I6 + 6 spd auto) that does an average of around 11.5 L / 100. This is combined cycle. Now the range on that is around 650kms. Purely highway driving that goes over 700 kms. So are you referring to 25yr+ old Falcon's or the modern day Falcon's ?
If the modern version then they get way more than 500 kays a tank. Unless you of course sink the boot into it continuously which no one does. Gotta love the Falcon cruise.
westy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #29
strobe

68/5 = 13.6 or /6 = 11.3...assuming you're filling up from bone dry. If you had 5l left (for arguments sake) you'd be at 12.6 or 10.5 if you'd done 600km.
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy73 View Post
Are you serious ?
I have a tezza (this is not a Falcon but does have the I6 + 6 spd auto) that does an average of around 11.5 L / 100. This is combined cycle. Now the range on that is around 650kms. Purely highway driving that goes over 700 kms. So are you referring to 25yr+ old Falcon's or the modern day Falcon's ?
If the modern version then they get way more than 500 kays a tank. Unless you of course sink the boot into it continuously which no one does. Gotta love the Falcon cruise.
Well lets see.

A Falcon has a 68 litre fuel tank and Territory has a 75 litre fuel tank.

I have personally driven over 350,000 km in modern Falcons (AU-FG2, I6, T6 & 5.4 V8) and have the log book figures.
I also have the fuel logs of the other falcons driven by employees.
Log book = start km, stop km, fuel used compiled over 12 years.

I stated 500-600km. 500km would be on a stinking hot day with heavy traffic and maybe 700km on a very cold clear day with a tail wind.

But the averages were constant as were the trips taken.

e.g. 700km Hervey Bay to Brisbane return done over 400 times in AU Ghia, BA GT-P, BA2 F6, BA2 XT, BF XR6 and FG2 Ute (ute has 80l tank).

The ute just makes it but the sedans in 12 years NEVER EVER got past Gympie on the way back which is about 600km.

Yes I am serious.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post