Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2023, 09:04 AM   #31
ToryMikey

Default Re: Australian Family Cars: We have gone so far backwards since 2016...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
I don't know what figures your comparing there ?

My Fairmont v8 5.0l made 175kw and 395nm (stock) in 2001 .....not a lot

We bought a new Navara 2.7l diesel in 1997 64kw and a whole 180nm at 2200rpm .....it was like winding up a rubber band

Most Thailand specials make between 430 - 500nm torque out of as small as a 2l ,that's not bad .....sure they're a bit fragile what do you expect when your towing 3.5 tonnes , would have been fun in the 64kw Navara
I’m comparing my 1996 dinosaur XH to a new Hoylux, base model to base model.

Sure I could compare the XR8 to the SR5 or whatever, but even then the fully sik Hoylux would be embarrassed in comfort, reliability, acceleration, handling and good looks.

When I was a one eyed Ford teen I used to bag VNs, laugh at how limp wristed 3800s were compared to Falcon sixes, but even now the VG ute with a base 3800 has more enthusiast appeal than any Siamese ****box on the market. It had rear discs and rack and pinion steering too!
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White

Last edited by ToryMikey; 22-12-2023 at 09:10 AM.
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 09:07 AM   #32
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Real diesels died when they stopped fitting them with liners and using mechanical injection pumps.
Modern DPF, regen stuff, I think of as holding in a fart all day long, until you really need to stop and let the biggest one rip.
What even is the appeal of diesel? More expensive fuel, hard and costly to service, sounds agricultural. I only ever got the appeal in small cars like the Fiesta where it gave you torque.
Old 22-12-2023, 09:29 AM   #33
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToryMikey View Post
What even is the appeal of diesel? More expensive fuel, hard and costly to service, sounds agricultural. I only ever got the appeal in small cars like the Fiesta where it gave you torque.
In the last year or so diesels have become un -economical if these prices continue....over here diesel use to be around 80c alitre cheaper now its around 50c , there used to be an advantage (slight) but at current prices petrol would be more economical.....time will tell

Greedy Arabs are going to sh.. in their own nest EV,s are improving rapidly ....there will come a time when we will have to all make a decision between the sterile drive of an EV or pumping cash into the Arabs

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 09:35 AM   #34
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought I was the only one who considers current market cars crap.
$60K > $ 70K for a soot blowing, high riding 'family' ute for mostly shopping trips and a dream of towing a van to the great outdoors.
Bells, beeps and lights for incompetent, undecided drivers to replace cars that went, stopped and handled better for mostly competent drivers who learned how to drive the 'hard' way.
EVs which require the planning of Apollo 13 mission to go exploring for a pub lunch into the nearly outback, hoping that a charger will be there in working order, so you can get home again.
Eye searing fashion over function designs inside and out that would have been classed as an April Fools Day practical joke pre 1999.
Topped off by the gullibility of the consumer who has been told 'This is what we will sell you because it is what you really want'.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 09:35 AM   #35
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Go Tesla Model 3 taxi
horrible taxi, they have the worst ride quality in the back seat, your spine gets punched through the top of your head
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 10:25 AM   #36
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sure I could compare the XR8 to the SR5 or whatever, but even then the fully sik Hoylux would be embarrassed in comfort, reliability, acceleration, handling and good looks.

When I was a one eyed Ford teen I used to bag VNs, laugh at how limp wristed 3800s were compared to Falcon sixes, but even now the VG ute with a base 3800 has more enthusiast appeal than any Siamese ****box on the market. It had rear discs and rack and pinion steering too!
There's no point comparing a sedan to a ute one's a commercial vehicle that's why they ride like Shi# , try putting 900kg in the back of your sedan ....utes and SUV,s sell because they're versatile....try doing round town deliveries in a low to the ground sedan and see how you feel at the end of the day ....that's why sedans don't sell

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 22-12-2023, 10:40 AM   #37
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
There's no point comparing a sedan to a ute one's a commercial vehicle that's why they ride like Shi# , try putting 900kg in the back of your sedan ....utes and SUV,s sell because they're versatile....try doing round town deliveries in a low to the ground sedan and see how you feel at the end of the day ....that's why sedans don't sell
XH is a Ute, not sedan
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 11:21 AM   #38
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
I was just having a think about how far backwards the standard Australian family car has fallen since 2016.
deep breath. aaand....

no, **** it. can't be bothered. whatever.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 11:43 AM   #39
ToryMikey

Quote:
Hate to break it to you but my Falcon Ute is a commercial vehicle, with a bigger more practical tray than any Thailand Tractor on the market. Steers better (with firmer, more positive feel) and has better ride comfort, equivalent to 90% of my EL sedan.

Let's not even talk about servicing costs, an important factor for any business.

Edit: I'm short so the high up trays of the Extension Wagons are utterly impractical to me. Completely ignoring how the trays carry so much less, they're so much harder to access in the first place!
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 11:50 AM   #40
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hate to break it to you but my Falcon Ute is a commercial vehicle, with a bigger more practical tray than any Thailand Tractor on the market. Steers better (with firmer, more positive feel) and has better ride comfort, equivalent to 90% of my EL sedan.

Let's not even talk about servicing costs, an important factor for any business.

Edit: I'm short so the high up trays of the Extension Wagons are utterly impractical to me. Completely ignoring how the trays carry so much less, they're so much harder to access in the first place!
It is interesting that no one so far disagrees.

Simon decided against sharing his Ranger loyalist views.

I agree with you too although the last oz made car I drove was a VZ rental and that was disapointing.

But I did drive my mates 2008 FG a few years back briefly impressed with the power and acceleration but the seating and ergonomics was disappointing.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2023, 11:52 AM   #41
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
It is interesting that no one so far disagrees.

Simon decided against sharing his Ranger loyalist views.

I agree with you too although the last oz made car I drove was a VZ rental and that was disapointing.

But I did drive my mates 2008 FG a few years back briefly impressed with the power and acceleration but the seating and ergonomics was disappointing.
It's hard to disagree with objective facts. Unless you fudge things and say a ute is actually a sedan, and hope nobody picks you up on that.

Try taking a seat in a well kept E Series. You might be impressed, for a quarter century plus old car...
3 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 11:55 AM   #42
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Speaking of “extension cars” today I saw a Tesla with the plates “ENO61B”…
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2023, 12:24 PM   #43
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
XH is a Ute, not sedan
Similar height off the ground as a sedan ....you know what I mean

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 22-12-2023, 12:25 PM   #44
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Similar height off the ground as a sedan ....you know what I mean
I'm with you now. Sorry.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2023, 12:38 PM   #45
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
I'm with you now. Sorry.

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 22-12-2023, 01:09 PM   #46
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Well modern diesels in 4 wheelers, there isn't any appeal.

As stated, old mechanical's , super reliable, excellent fuel economy, torque, no electrics to get water logged, easy to work on, totally serviceable parts, made from real metals not plastic. The workhorse of transport, marine, rail, road and farm.

An old mechanical car type one, old Merc, VW Golf, Landcruiser etc farm machinery, perfect for running waste veggie oil or harvested Canola.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 02:04 PM   #47
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

I considered recently selling my GS and my VS Ute and moving to a Alfa Giulia quattrofoligi or a corolla GR but in the end, they were the only 2 vehicles that maybe I’d enjoy but for the cost and what I’ll get, I’ll stick to my GS and VS ute
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 02:10 PM   #48
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An interesting topic to contemplate. While I can see your point(s) and respect your viewpoint, I think the arguments have been a little oversimplified and there has been a little bit of cherry picking of the data.

Point 1 – reasonable cost. True, but look at the price of houses lately as a benchmark. Way overpriced. Manufacturers are not charities, they can and will charge what the market can bear.

Point 2 – power and torque. Ranger Raptor 3.0L V6 Twin Turbo EcoBoost engine produces up to 292kW at 5650rpm and 583Nm of torque at 3500rpm.

Point 3 – fuel economy. While my G6E had great fuel economy on the highway, around town it was a different story. If fuel economy is the be all and end all, Taxi drivers abandoned the Falcon before it was even out of production. See this old post from 2013 where a Taxi driver who swapped from an LPG Falcon to a Camry Hybrid was saving themselves $6K per year in fuel costs. https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...8&postcount=35

Point 4 – braking. One test result that I found for an XR8 recorded a stopping distance around 40 metres (give or take). (Acknowledging the effect of surface friction of test location), a difference source recorded the stopping distance of Model Y at 34.6 metres (best in the Car of The Year pool). If stopping distance is the primary concern the data is clear, buy a Model Y. A Ford Ranger XLT V6 had a recorded stopping distance of 41.1 metres (not too shabby for a vehicle of that weight), and not to far off the pace of an XR8. But tyre selection makes a big difference here. All terrains make a number of compromises for their sidewall strength and traction on unsealed roads, can easily have a braking distance into 50 metres. Braking distance is a user chooses problem.

Point 5 – rear suspension. Not sure what the problem is here. Falcon wagons - the epitome of AU load carrying - stayed with leaf springs to the bitter end. Ditto, the Falcon Ute. Leaf springs have definite advantages for load carrying and towing over the life of a vehicle. While some of the more sophisticated rear end suspensions have less compromises, they also come with considerable greater upfront and ongoing costs.

Point 6 – Steering. While they may have less feel, modern EPAS allow for safety features like lane control. Something that a pure hydraulic system can never do in a cost-effective manner. While some may dislike the feel of EPAS and question the value of lane control, what is often overlooked is how many collisions this technology has prevented. Front end suspension design is bounded by the requirements for wheel articulation for off road travel, travelling on corrugated surfaces, and the weight of the vehicle.

Point 7 - Interior comfort and convenience – these are primarily work vehicles. They sit out in the sun for extended periods and are subjected to abuse the traditional family car is not. Market wants hard plastic surfaces for these variants.

What has been overlooked is why people are choosing these types of vehicles. A Ford Ranger/Everest can go a lot more places than a Falcon ute/wagon/sedan. They certainly can tow a lot more (caravans have grow in size over the last decade) and do so more safely.

I also think one needs to be careful when raising the “practicality” argument. If we are all going to drive “practical cars” for a large family, then it is a Camry four cylinder.

For whatever reason, the large family sedan (in the format of a Falcon or Commodore) is dead. People have long since moved to SUV, be that AWD or 4WD, and are voting with their wallets.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 02:29 PM   #49
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

For those that own dual cabs, if a Falcon was reintroduced today, would you go back?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2023, 04:40 PM   #50
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
For those that own dual cabs, if a Falcon was reintroduced today, would you go back?
Definitely not, traded my XR ute for dual cab and have not regretted the decision, don't get me wrong I like falcon utes but the dual cab is better for my purpose of vehicle.
Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2023, 05:00 PM   #51
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Nope, the “Falcon thing” is all about “Rose coloured glasses”, these new Rangers etc are good vehicles.

E8 had some quality issues but a good Barra engine
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2023, 06:16 PM   #52
vixf6

Quote:
Yes but only if fix-
Diff bushes
A/C Mixer shaft
ICC Screen, even then

The zf’s in our G6E and terry are just so nice its not funny, prefer them to the Ute 10 sp by a fair margin
2016 R8 Clubsport Lsa sold for beer money
F6 sold AND SAD ABOUT IT
vixf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 06:26 PM   #53
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yikes I forget how dreary base Toyota interiors can be. $40k for that penalty box, and only 200 Nm of torque to lug it around! The base Falcon had velour at least, since 2002!
Yep we looked at a few of those in the dealers, I got the impression of a dark, close together, deep and squeezy cabin with vision difficulties out the back. Cloth fabrics were very normal (probably will wear well) - the car out front was demo, not new, and had already sold. Nothing new in stock. The only interior that impressed that day was the Outback Touring at 57+K, an example with tan leather seats, very comfortable, nice view out the dash, spacious, particularly the 2nd row. Wagon length for surfboards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
Funny you say that, because that could also apply to a bright red V8 Mustang.

At least a Mustang does what is says on the tin, as in being a performance car with drop-dead styling. A dual cab pickup is virtually useless as a "commercial vehicle" unless it's towing a trailer to house all the stuff that won't fit in the tray.
Quite a few tradies down here are going the vans, as all the gear can be stowed and is less floggable. Young one is using a 4x4 wagon, for same reason. Stuff buying a tray or styleside then needing an extra trailer to bring all the tools.

I maintain that an Aussie panel van and shared coupe utility with the power/strengths of old could find a niche in the market. If Mr Ineos Grenadier billionaire can do it for the Defender niche, someone can do it in this case.
Old 22-12-2023, 06:35 PM   #54
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
#followthrough

More generally, people have got what they “wanted” - the population is bored and prone to marketing pitches. So many of the reasons cited as justifying the higher prices now paid, are (IMO) back-formed excuses when really it was boredom and inability to stand confidently behind one’s own choices.

A note on durability, the original Bosch ignition module in one of the dailies died Monday. Only lasted since March 1990.
I remember in the decade leading up to closure, there were so many loud voices saying Australian cars were bogan, they were off the global pace, they were dinosaurs. As an immigrant (you grew here, I flew here) coming from a land of 2L milkboxes - this was Nirvana for what you got for the price! I'll never understand this cultural cringe where Australians put themselves down, so much of what's here is best in world. Or was.
Old 22-12-2023, 06:37 PM   #55
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Based on this thread and the other thread, its clear theres an axe to grind.
Falcons are dead and thats the sad of it really.
A VG commo ute has no enthusiast appeal what so ever for me.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 07:04 PM   #56
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not so much 'Falcon's are dead' but a certain price point/power/comfort/carrying capacity/low maintenance costs/feeling to drive no longer exists in the market. Which is perplexing given the market is open to so many brands and models.
Old 22-12-2023, 08:33 PM   #57
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
I remember in the decade leading up to closure, there were so many loud voices saying Australian cars were bogan, they were off the global pace, they were dinosaurs. As an immigrant (you grew here, I flew here) coming from a land of 2L milkboxes - this was Nirvana for what you got for the price! I'll never understand this cultural cringe where Australians put themselves down, so much of what's here is best in world. Or was.
I can think of one particular loud whiny bald voice on YouTube saying just that. All while recommending the worst new cars on the market, known for catastrophic engine failure at low mileages. Turns out he was/is a paid shill for said company. Funny that.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 09:33 PM   #58
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Re Whynots post - Point 3 Fuel IS the main expense for Taxis...but not the only one.

These days you would have to get a Toyota Camry Hybrid for a Taxi...if you can wait long enough for the dealer to get one. Wait times are improving and there is some coming through from Police and Fleets now via Pickles/Manheim but at near new prices.

The reason you are seeing the weird Taxis like Ravs and T Cross is less waiting time for vehicles, but I havent seen any BYD's or ultra cheap hybrids yet...but someone will do it, at least until the first accident.

Modern cars get more complicated, and harder to fix for the backyarder like me, parts are scarce, cost a bomb and take ages to get here...ALL bad for Taxis.

Fully electric cars like Teslas are NOT suitable for Taxis, as apart from being stupidly expensive, you would need 2 of them, one for Day shift, then another to use at night while the day car recharges...assuming you use normal outlets, you also need a shed to park it in while its charging.

I have enough parts to assemble another Falcon in my shed so that is why I have persisted so long.

My 2014 Falcon cost me about $5000 as a repairable write off, after fixing up and taxifying say $8000, a new Camry cost $40000 so I have $32000 of savings already.
Thats a fair bit petrol...or even more LPG.

If I stay in the business I have to go Camry Hybrid but I wont be selling my personal Falcons either.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 09:35 PM   #59
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can think of one particular loud whiny bald voice on YouTube saying just that. All while recommending the worst new cars on the market, known for catastrophic engine failure at low mileages. Turns out he was/is a paid shill for said company. Funny that.
Is this Cadogan?
The guy who publicly admits to buying a Triton while slagging off better vehicles in the segment on the weekly.
I note he hasn’t touched on Hyundais engine failures, 5 year old cars with excess paint peel or impending class action but regularly tells watchers to steer clear of Ford, Toyota and anything Euro for lesser issues like recalls or individual accounts of poor after sales support.
Money talks.

smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 09:46 PM   #60
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the issue with the Hyundai engines?