Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 03-07-2014, 10:56 AM   #1
archangelau
Starter Motor

Default Which used model?

Hi Everyone,

Newbie here looking for some advice.

Looking at getting a second hand Mondeo for around the 15k mark. Would prefer less than 100k on clock and in Auto diesel and Zetec.

What are my options? Which year and auto transmission is the best combination for my range that has less issues? Should I avoid a certain auto type or engine size? Series?

Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

Arch.

archangelau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Which used model?

Hi Arch,

Welcome to the forum.

Based on the comments about the powershift transmission, I think I would be cautious unless the seller was prepared to provide a substantial warranty - which some dealers are prepared to do for a sale. (I'd be looking at three years and 60,000 Km here)

In your price range Carsales show 11 Mondeos with less than 80,000 km. Most are the previous transmission, and our experience is that it is trouble free, provides good economy too in the diesel engine cars.

I suspect the MC range of vehicles would be above the price you have quoted and they appear to have more problems than the earlier cars based on posts in this forum.

I suspect this might be due to assembly line worker dis-satisfaction with Ford forecasting the shut down of the Gent plant in Belgium. Oz cars are sourced from there.

Good luck with the search.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
archangelau
Starter Motor

Thanks Alan. That is what I was after.

So I take that I should be looking at 2010-2011 MB models with the normal auto transmission (not powershift)?

Anything else to look for in these models? What is the better engine?

Cheers,

Arch
archangelau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi again,

Yes, that is where I would be looking. So far as the diesel engine is concerned there is only one: A TDCI (stands for Turbo Diesel Common rail injection) 2 litre unit in various stages of tune which alters the power a bit (upwards) but the torque is fairly constant in the 320/340 Newton Metre range. Our car has the lowest output in this engine range, I believe, for cars imported into Oz and I find it quite powerful enough for my driving habits.

The petrol engine is also a one off at 2.3 litre capacity, I think. Some say this is a bit low on power - I wouldn't know as I haven't driven one. There was a 5 cylinder 2.5 litre unit but that was only available in the XR5(?) model with a manual gearbox - sporty, you understand.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #5
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

For MA & MB the 2.0 TDCi came with 96kw and a 6 speed torque converter auto.

For MC onwards the 2.0 TDCi came with 120kw and a 6 speed Powershift dual clutch auto.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
ian b

If you shopped around and stretched the budget a little you might just get a 2009 MB XR5 for around $18K, more toys than a Zetec and more fun than an auto diesel.
No worries over the auto transmission as the XR5 has 3 pedals, and the gearbox is smooth so easy to transition from auto.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

The MB XR5 was the top of the range model. Think Titanium-spec with the ahem... Volvo 2.5-I5 Turbo and 6spd manual (only manual avail in MB model range). Very economical in normal driving (8.6l/100km after 60000kms of data logging), or real-life CBR-Port MEL with only stops being for the people inside, with spare fuel left - range 900+kms according to the on board computer.

But if you were living in big congested city I'd go an auto for every day use.
(There, I actually recommended an auto to someone !!! eeek!! Bring on the comfy chair...)
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Bought an early 2010 MB Zetec Diesel and found it to be a tonne of fun with more options than you can poke a stick at :P

The sports automatic transmission is great, very economical 6.8l/100.

Horses for courses though up to you
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post