Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Race Brakes Sydney

Race Brakes Sydney Street and race performance pad / rotor combinations as well as brake upgrades and Exedy clutch kits. Website Link

Old 19-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
MattSAU2XR8

Default Worth upgrading AU XR8 rear brakes?

Hi Matt,

Hoping for a bit of advise for my AU XR8.

I've previously upgraded the front brakes to 330 mm RDA069s and HPX pads using brackets and longer hoses which has made the car stop a lot better, although it was fairly dear at $750 and 2 days of messing around. Looks good in the front wheels too :-)

The opportunity has now presented to upgrade the rears to BF1 XR8 with RDA discs and HPX pads for about $350 and a day of stuffing around. I have the calipers already and so would need to buy discs and pads. I can do all the work myself.

What I'm wondering is, given that the majority of braking is supposed to be done at the front wheels, would I actually notice any difference with the bigger rear brakes?

Thanks if you can advise.

Matt

MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Default Re: Worth upgrading AU XR8 rear brakes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSAU2XR8
Hi Matt,

Hoping for a bit of advise for my AU XR8.

I've previously upgraded the front brakes to 330 mm RDA069s and HPX pads using brackets and longer hoses which has made the car stop a lot better, although it was fairly dear at $750 and 2 days of messing around. Looks good in the front wheels too :-)

The opportunity has now presented to upgrade the rears to BF1 XR8 with RDA discs and HPX pads for about $350 and a day of stuffing around. I have the calipers already and so would need to buy discs and pads. I can do all the work myself.

What I'm wondering is, given that the majority of braking is supposed to be done at the front wheels, would I actually notice any difference with the bigger rear brakes?

Thanks if you can advise.

Matt
Hi Matt the rear upgrade is from a 287mm disc to a 303mm disc so the increase will not be significant but would be an improvement with the upgraded front brakes.
Rear dba slotted are $200 a pair - the hats are also painted on these
Rear rda slotted are $134 a pair
HPX rear brake pads are $80 a set.

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
MattSAU2XR8

Hi again Matt

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I didn't explain it properly. What I meant to say is that the calipers I have are for the 328 by 26 mm vented rear disc, so in principle it should give at least 10 % more leverage, and also be harder to cook. But the question remains as to whether upgrading rear brakes makes a lot of difference to the drive?

Regards,

Matt
Old 20-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
MattSAU2XR8

Hi again Matt,

When I say is it worth it, I could for example use this money instead to put DBA 4000s and A1RM or similar pads in the front, which would at least make it a lot harder to cook the fronts.

So I suppose if one was trying to race this car on private roads, would one be better off with:
- RDA 069 front discs and 328 mm rear discs with HPX pads all round, or
- DBA4069 front discs with A1RMs and standard AU rears with HPXs.

Thanks and regards,

Matt
Old 20-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Quote:
Hi again Matt

Thanks for getting back to me. I think I didn't explain it properly. What I meant to say is that the calipers I have are for the 328 by 26 mm vented rear disc, so in principle it should give at least 10 % more leverage, and also be harder to cook. But the question remains as to whether upgrading rear brakes makes a lot of difference to the drive?

Regards,

Matt
It makes sense now i have read it properly (sorry) but i am pretty sure you can't fit the XR8 328MM rears to a AU11 or 111 as the rotors foul on the backing plate and handbrake lever because they have a bigger offset than the brembo set up.

Phone 02 9609 1101

Old 20-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Quote:
Hi again Matt,

When I say is it worth it, I could for example use this money instead to put DBA 4000s and A1RM or similar pads in the front, which would at least make it a lot harder to cook the fronts.

So I suppose if one was trying to race this car on private roads, would one be better off with:
- RDA 069 front discs and 328 mm rear discs with HPX pads all round, or
- DBA4069 front discs with A1RMs and standard AU rears with HPXs.

Thanks and regards,

Matt

i don't think iam with it today.
I think the better option would be the 4069SL/SR 4000 series and A1RM up front with the BA set up on the rear just to give you a slight increase plus it bolts up fine.The BA rear set up would be much cheaper to buy as well.
I have 4069sl/sr rotors in stock if that helps

Phone 02 9609 1101

Old 28-08-2013, 02:13 AM   #7
vdvryank

Hi, I was just surfin through braking posts and found this one as it seems to point out that BA rear brakes can be placed onto AU rears with irs. I am wanting to know is this the case, all you need is just the calipers and rotors and they will bolt straight onto the rear of my AU series 1 IRS fairmont?
I really want something to fill the 19's in a bit better and perform better too. I have also been told about territory rear brakes, which awesomely are ventilated.

Any help would be sweet, cheers.
vdvryank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdvryank View Post
Hi, I was just surfin through braking posts and found this one as it seems to point out that BA rear brakes can be placed onto AU rears with irs. I am wanting to know is this the case, all you need is just the calipers and rotors and they will bolt straight onto the rear of my AU series 1 IRS fairmont?
I really want something to fill the 19's in a bit better and perform better too. I have also been told about territory rear brakes, which awesomely are ventilated.

Any help would be sweet, cheers.
I haven't done the AU1 only the series 2 and 3 so i am unsure if it is possible plus the rear Territory upgrade was in need of some modifications for the later AU 's as well because the rotor sits deeper in it fouled on the backing plates etc.

Phone 02 9609 1101