Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
BP'93

Question Wheels Magazine - General feedback on magazine!!!

So i've been an avid reader of Wheels Magazine for seven or so years now. But recently the quality of work has dropped off dramatically, the reliability is quite a miss and there seems to be no existence of an editor. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty good magazine but just today's issues don't compare with 3-4 years ago :(

One example of the lack of editing is the additions of new and revised modeles in the Showroom section of the magazine. The Mitsubishi Outlander, launched in November 2012 has yet to appear, even in the February 2012 Issue. Don't get me started on the deletion of models either!

Anyone else feeling this? Would like some feedback?

Cheers, Byron.

BP'93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
stevz
Banned

Default Re: Wheels Magazine - General feedback on magazine!!!

The last time I purchased a motoring magazine would have been in the late 90's. I just don't see the value in them when you can find far better quality information and material on the internet. By the time the magazines hit the stands the news they contain is already old news. Their days are well and truly numbered.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I just received from a friend today a Wheels magazine from November... 1973!

Wheels use to be a great magazine to read, but I would say in the last 5yrs, the quality has dropped in both the writing and coverage.

Cheers
Col
Old 19-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #4
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I stopped buying Wheels and Motor magazine about 3 years ago. It got to the point where every month both mags were running almost the same stories, reviews and so called 'exclusive' reports.
Doubt I'll spend another dollar on either of them again.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thus Wheels....I woke up today, couldn't decide on whether to drive the Lambo Gallardo, or the Aventador, so I thought I'd drive down to the newsagent in my brand new V12 Aston Martin Vantage, keeping the revs below 7000, as the motor is still a bit tight. Bought my copy of Financial Review, and was struck by an article describing the virtues of the Ferrari F12. Struth! Drove sideways in the Vantage to the nearest Ferrari dealer, breathless. I was dissapointed to hear that the F12 had a big waiting list, so I put one on order, meanwhile, grabbed the showroom Spyder, will send the butler round to pick it up.
Got a phonecall from the workshop, the Veron was ready to be picked up after it's service. I couldn't be bothered flying down to Melbourne to pick it up, so I told them to air frieght it to my house.
The little lady told me that the Bently was getting a little harsh. "What the hell do you expect from a Mulsanne", I told her. I arranged for a swap at the local dealer, the Continental GTC W12 should ride a bit softer.
My daughter's Porsche Panamera needed a new ...blah, blah, blah.
I think I made my point.

P.S. I only subscribed so as I could get a 64pc Sidchrome socket set thrown in with the deal. All I need now is a Siddy spanner set and I'm in clover. Enjoy the odd article about the 'supercars, but just about every page is devoted to cars only a hand full of Aussies will drive, and I doubt these people would lift a Wheels off the rack.

Last edited by Madaya; 19-01-2013 at 02:30 AM.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got every issue since March 1993. I agree with the point above about too much supercar coverage and not enough 'everyday' cars. Sure, enthusiasts dream about supercars, but realistically, that information is of no use but the wealthiest of Aussies.

And whatever happened to the "annual" tyre tests?
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #7
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I stopped reading Holden Monthly decades ago . Mike Mcarthy's departure pretty much signed it's death knull for me . I wouldn't even use it as toilet paper these days , a worthless tawdry rag that is more about excecising writers egos and pumping sunshineup their largest benefactors backside , Holden .
Old 19-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

got sick of both wheels and motor magazine ford and holden debate! No matter what the results are, the holden reporters always bags out the holden!!!! Sick of it!!!

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I've got every issue since March 1993. I agree with the point above about too much supercar coverage and not enough 'everyday' cars. Sure, enthusiasts dream about supercars, but realistically, that information is of no use but the wealthiest of Aussies.

And whatever happened to the "annual" tyre tests?
X2 have every issue of wheels & motor since the EBGT came out, the amount of coverage on the net these days of auto related news/reviews almost makes it redundant but I'll still get my monthly copy as long as they make it.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #10
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Brought every issue since march 1985

Stopped buying last month. It used to be that wheels would take a few hours to read due to the quality content.

I can now read it within an hour and I get more interesting information about the mechanations of the industry online. Wheels no longer covers model development in great detail or provide information about the movers and shakers in the industry. It's sad.

The replacement of information with glossy photos and drivel means it no longer hold special meaning for me.

I'll fick in the newsagent but doubt I'll buy going forward.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
The last time I purchased a motoring magazine would have been in the late 90's. I just don't see the value in them when you can find far better quality information and material on the internet. By the time the magazines hit the stands the news they contain is already old news. Their days are well and truly numbered.
Pretty much this...I brought every wheels/motor mag as a younger man from about 1998-2006 and slowly I began to get disinterested.

Im also a bit sad about Australian Muscle Car Magazine, that thing has gone down hill something shocking since the change in editor and bloody Grover coming on board...I liked that magazine.

I only buy classic car mag's now, and they all seem to be UK based.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
wannafordxr6
xr6t

I used to subscribe to various mags and now don't. Motor and Wheels were my main ones but they just got worse and worse. On holiday I buy a few to read and I got 4 car mags for Christmas (Wheels, Motor, EVO and Top Gear).

I find that some of the internet channels (Drive, Jalopnik etc.) are the best way to keep the interest alive these days.
wannafordxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

The Australian motoring magazine industry went down the toilet in the mid 1990s when ACP purchased a number of other publishing houses. As a result all magazines are published by the same organisation. I used to buy (Modern) MOTOR as it was a better read than Wheels. Now they are all the same.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #14
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is Robbo still there?

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Wheels Magazine - General feedback on magazine!!!

It's basically a 'performance' mag now and no longer of interest to the 'general public' like it used to be IMO.
GOAUTO is enough for this old fart!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 19-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
vbvbvb088
vbvbvb088

Who remembers in the 'Motor Manual'... an industry section called 'Brass Tacks' by Ian Mellor(?). Given modern industry environments I wish they devote ime to this. As Phil Collins (cover? Supremes?) said... You do not know what you have got until it's gone'.
vbvbvb088 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #18
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got well over 1000 mags from wheels to street fords, given up on street machine, motorsport news and when my subscription runs out motor too will be gone, wheels was a great magazine in the 90's but losing there way now same with australian muscle magazines, its seems everything Paul Gover touches he destroys.

I have 400 mix mags from 1980 wheels complete set to the current magazines all for $1.00 each, if anyone interested please let me know.
bigwil is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #19
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been reading Wheels since the late 50's and a subscriber for the last 10 years. Last year I renewed my subscription for the last time, and that was only because they bribed me with a free socket set.

Over the last few years I have found less every year to interest me. I used to spend 3 hours or so reading each new issue, now a new issue is sometimes read and forgotten in half an hour. A previous post asked what happened to the annual tyre tests, what happened to the annual handling, performance, & safety test, tecnical articles, road tests of the few cars still made in Aust. I did not see a single road test of the SZ Diesel Territory, the one and probably only diesel car to be built and designed in Aust.

If they want me to renew my subscription next year they will have to do better than a new socket set, maybe a set of ratchet ring spanners in metric and SAE might make me change my mind
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #20
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most auto journos behave as if they are auditioning for the marketing position for their favourite manufacturer. It's now decades since you got any useful data such as wheelbase (fundamental to the calculation of internal legroom) or track (shoulder room) turning radius let alone bore/stroke etc etc etc the worst being the newspaper variety

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 19-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #21
Rodge
Banned

Holden Spend a lot of money advertising in Wheels and it appears that the tail has been wagging the dog for some time now...imagine how silly a dog would look being wagged by its tail, especially my dog Skippy in my avatar with his short tail , that's how silly the Wheels mag has become.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #22
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP'93 View Post
So i've been an avid reader of Wheels Magazine for seven or so years now. But recently the quality of work has dropped off dramatically, the reliability is quite a miss and there seems to be no existence of an editor. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty good magazine but just today's issues don't compare with 3-4 years ago :(

One example of the lack of editing is the additions of new and revised modeles in the Showroom section of the magazine. The Mitsubishi Outlander, launched in November 2012 has yet to appear, even in the February 2012 Issue. Don't get me started on the deletion of models either!

Anyone else feeling this? Would like some feedback?

Cheers, Byron.
I thought all this happened in the late 1980's when I last purchased a Wheels magazine.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The best thing our Aussie motoring journos could do is get rid of monthly hard copy,
make their publications online only and start charging healthy subscriptions to view.

the ensuing silence in the free view press would be most gratifying to fans on both sides of the fence..

So my vote is for Motoring Journos to take a big cup of ****** and take your nasty anti-manufacturing attitudes with you...

Last edited by russellw; 19-01-2013 at 08:47 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #24
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I have been buying/subscribing Wheels and Motor for 10 years now. Motor seemed to go off the boil about 5 years ago, and now has too much emphasis on "Hot Tuner" cars for my taste.

I still enjoy reading Wheels, but the content has slipped in quality over the last couple of years. I think the last two previous editiors have run it down quite badly. Being an enthusiasts magazine, I can understand the covering of Supercars, at the end of the day, consumer advice for non-car people is better sought from the likes of the internet of newspaper car sections. HOWEVER, the reduction in technical data supplied is not good enough. I like to study the specs, compare bore and stroke, revs, wheelbase ect ect ect (Yes I'm a car bore, but hey...). I also find the "drive" stories boring. If I want to read about roadside attractions, I will buy a travel magazine. I also dont wont to read about watches that cost absurd amounts of money. Mega tests are now far to brief in their content as well.

What I find very disappointing though is the reduction in material on local cars. The SZ Territory was not covered except for a "drive story" with a BMW. FG MK II had no coverage. The new Camery and Aurion also recieved very little also. Once apon a time, these models would have had many many pages devoted to them including development stories and interviews, as well as model by model write ups. I know local cars now command a much smaller piece of the sales pie, but Wheels is a Aussie car mag and should be focused as such.

As I said, I still enjoy reading Wheels, but a few changes should be made to satisfy the enthusiast again.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #25
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to always buy wheels and motor, but I started to get over them, a year ago I got a subscription as a present, it runs out next month so I guess next month will be the last time I get one of those magazines for a while.
Unique Cars is a mag I love. Some other brand specific mags are also good and ill buy them once in a while.

Performance Garage is a mag I have been buying lately. It's pretty interesting and cheaper then most other mags.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #26
4stanger