Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2021, 11:03 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Floodwatch - interactive maps

Hi all,

So the borders have opened up allowing me to travel, but mother nature is having her own say in the matter.

I'm driving from Adelaide to Bris, and there is a reasonable amount of flooding in southern QLD and parts of NSW.

Years ago, I also travelled during a flood season, and there was a very handy map (by the RTA maybe??) that I could look on to see what the situation was, whether the roads were closed, or roadworks etc.

Anyone have any links to any of these type of maps for QLD and NSW. I'll be heading up via the Sturt/Mid Western/Newell hwys through NSW.

Goondi is the main concern at the moment. Looks like both Cunningham and Leichardt (Gore) hwys closed at the moment.

Thanks for any help you are able to offer.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
hayseed

Default Re: Floodwatch - interactive maps

https://www.livetraffic.com/
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2021, 03:23 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
And for Qld....

https://qldtraffic.qld.gov.au

But it'll probably be 90% gone by the time you go Rob and the roads will be back to there normal crappy condition.

Edit...seeing as I can't give you fuel prices anymore have you got the 'NSW Fuel Check' app on your phone?
Old 09-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
And for Qld....

https://qldtraffic.qld.gov.au

But it'll probably be 90% gone by the time you go Rob and the roads will be back to there normal crappy condition.

Edit...seeing as I can't give you fuel prices anymore have you got the 'NSW Fuel Check' app on your phone?
No fuel apps. I just fuel up when I need it. Preferable at a bp... Normally fill at hay (probably ampol now... Be golden fleece again soon haha) then parkes or dubbo due to being stopped there anyway and then bridge garage at goondi. Diesel.

Hopefully the flooding is subsided by the weekend. Might be road damage but it will blend in with the rest of the national highways, like you say.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:42 PM   #5
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
No fuel apps. I just fuel up when I need it. Preferable at a bp... Normally fill at hay (probably ampol now... Be golden fleece again soon haha) then parkes or dubbo due to being stopped there anyway and then bridge garage at goondi. Diesel.

Hopefully the flooding is subsided by the weekend. Might be road damage but it will blend in with the rest of the national highways, like you say.
From Goondiwindi go to Brisbane via Toowoomba via the Gore Hwy. There is a toll on the Toowoomba bypass(if you bypass Toowoomba) but this way is slightly quicker, should be no flooded roads and the roads are a little better, then on to Brisbane.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:52 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

Or take the scenic route up the New England
Old 09-12-2021, 06:52 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
From Goondiwindi go to Brisbane via Toowoomba via the Gore Hwy. There is a toll on the Toowoomba bypass(if you bypass Toowoomba) but this way is slightly quicker, should be no flooded roads and the roads are a little better, then on to Brisbane.
Yep, that's the way I go. Glad you said the roads are a little better... Emphasis on the little.

The new bypass is cool.

I have a linkt account.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #8
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi all,

So the borders have opened up allowing me to travel, but mother nature is having her own say in the matter.

I'm driving from Adelaide to Bris, and there is a reasonable amount of flooding in southern QLD and parts of NSW.

Years ago, I also travelled during a flood season, and there was a very handy map (by the RTA maybe??) that I could look on to see what the situation was, whether the roads were closed, or roadworks etc.

Anyone have any links to any of these type of maps for QLD and NSW. I'll be heading up via the Sturt/Mid Western/Newell hwys through NSW.

Goondi is the main concern at the moment. Looks like both Cunningham and Leichardt (Gore) hwys closed at the moment.

Thanks for any help you are able to offer.
If you know your crossings, this is what we use

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ60005.html

Has heights etc - pretty good to avoid road closure surprises.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-12-2021, 11:39 PM   #9
Trendseeker

Google Maps shows road closures and photos of the spots flooded. Click on the icons.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

To be serious for a moment - considering the trajectory of new Covid cases in NSW - is it prudent for Prydey to drive through the state? I can almost foresee his family being shunted into quarantine on return or having trouble obtaining permission to reenter SA.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2021, 11:31 AM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
To be serious for a moment - considering the trajectory of new Covid cases in NSW - is it prudent for Prydey to drive through the state? I can almost foresee his family being shunted into quarantine on return or having trouble obtaining permission to reenter SA.
i appreciate your concern but that decision is ours to make. At some point life must go on.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:28 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Or take the scenic route up the New England
Might have to yet. Gore and Cunningham both closed currently.

Hoping they'll be open by Monday morning given there isn't much more rain forecast, but as a back up may have to consider new England. Never been that way in all the years I've done the journey.

How is it?
Old 10-12-2021, 11:33 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Might have to yet. Gore and Cunningham both closed currently.

Hoping they'll be open by Monday morning given there isn't much more rain forecast, but as a back up may have to consider new England. Never been that way in all the years I've done the journey.

How is it?
Hilly, but a lot smoother than the Newell. The family would probably like it for the hills and scenery.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:20 AM   #14
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The New England is a good road, but, it is not a freeway, be very attentive to small towns, road works, and speed limits. Highway Patrol paradise.

I think you are very brave to be crossing State borders during the next few weeks.
COVID.... bah ! Petulant, unpredictable politicians ........... be very afraid.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2021, 09:28 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

Ended up going over the border at Texas. I went Gwydir hwy to Warialda, then up to Yetman on the Bruxnor hwy and through to Texas. Then up to Inglewood and in on the Cunningham. Lots of potholes and loose surface. The road from Warialda to Yetman was a goat track 🙄 I was told it was the way all the trucks were going but clearly I was led astray. I think the trucks were going up the newell to Boggabilla and then across to Texas.

Thanks to those who offered help. We got up here ok despite the hurdles.

Also not long after arriving we heard the Cunningham had been reopened. Typical.
Old 13-12-2021, 09:45 PM   #16
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ended up going over the border at Texas. I went Gwydir hwy to Warialda, then up to Yetman on the Bruxnor hwy and through to Texas. Then up to Inglewood and in on the Cunningham. Lots of potholes and loose surface. The road from Warialda to Yetman was a goat track 🙄 I was told it was the way all the trucks were going but clearly I was led astray. I think the trucks were going up the newell to Boggabilla and then across to Texas.

Also not long after arriving we heard the Cunningham had been reopened. Typical.
Thats why we use the BoM
it allows one to predict closure/re-opening by watching river levels upstream many hours before reaching any crossing point...
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2021, 10:08 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
Thats why we use the BoM
it allows one to predict closure/re-opening by watching river levels upstream many hours before reaching any crossing point...
Cunningham was closed due to road damage. Gore was closed due to flooding but was waiting on two bridges being checked by engineers before reopening.

We were keeping abreast of the situation.
Old 13-12-2021, 10:21 PM   #18
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

They said on the news tonight that the Cunningham Hwy was open to Trucks and Caravans. No mention of cars thou.......
Showed a couple of Trucks going thru a foot of water........
Old 20-11-2022, 04:04 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

A year on and similar situations are in play. I'll be travelling to Brisbane again before Xmas so don't expect too many closures however my daughter and her new hubby (getting married on 10th dec) are travelling up in 3 weeks time. Currently the newell is closed around forbes and other places.

Been keeping an eye on the usual sites mentioned earlier but has anyone got any first hand knowledge of those situations and or detours or alternate routes.

They are planning on staying at the Dubbo zoo so any detours need to include Dubbo.

Thanks for any feedback and tips.
Old 20-11-2022, 04:09 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
A year on and similar situations are in play. I'll be travelling to Brisbane again before Xmas so don't expect too many closures however my daughter and her new hubby (getting married on 10th dec) are travelling up in 3 weeks time. Currently the newell is closed around forbes and other places.

Been keeping an eye on the usual sites mentioned earlier but has anyone got any first hand knowledge of those situations and or detours or alternate routes.

They are planning on staying at the Dubbo zoo so any detours need to include Dubbo.

if we get any more rain between now and Christmas be prepared to go via Melb.

When the rain lands now it's got nowhere to go
Old 20-11-2022, 04:46 PM   #21
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Im sure you are probably well aware.
Potholes.
We've had a couple trips over the last few weeks
Albury to Melbourne
Albury to Canberra.
A lot of the main roads are in poor condition, but the arterial roads are appalling.
I could only imagine the road conditions through central NSW are much worse.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2022, 05:38 PM   #22
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would be good if there were interactive maps showing where major pot holes are. Something like flood watch that is built into googlemaps.

There is a hazard warning report option on Amigo GO app, but no one ever uses it.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2022, 07:00 PM   #23
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Waze has a report feature that's not too bad for potholes, roadwork etc.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2022, 07:04 PM   #24
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Would be good if there were interactive maps showing where major pot holes are.
The Country N.S.W. Road network is one GIANT pothole..!!!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2022, 07:20 PM   #25
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

you might not even get past the Murray
Old 20-11-2022, 07:32 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
you might not even get past the Murray
We go out through the mallee so the Murray shouldn't be an issue. Would have to be up pretty high to flood at tooleybuc (vic/nsw border).

Murrumbidgee is a concern around Hay.

Just have to keep an eye on things and have multiple contingencies.
Old 20-11-2022, 07:39 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

As far as NSW goes Rob have you got the RMS's 'Live Traffic' app on your phone? it's usually fairly up to date.

https://www.livetraffic.com
Old 20-11-2022, 07:47 PM   #28
prydey
Rob

Quote:
As far as NSW goes Rob have you got the RMS's 'Live Traffic' app on your phone? it's usually fairly up to date.

https://www.livetraffic.com
Yeah, thanks. I don't think Vic will be an issue. Not sure about what's happening around the Qld border. So yeah, I think NSW is the main concern.