Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-11-2022, 02:50 PM   #1
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The VACC wants the Victorian government to implement an annual rwc requirement for vehicles aged 8 years+

https://vacc.com.au/News/Publication...tion-manifesto
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2022, 02:53 PM   #2
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The VACC wants the Victorian government to implement an annual rwc requirement for vehicles aged 8 ye

For general safety check...there might be an argument.

But if it includes all the other malarkey that has nothing to do with safety, then a big fat NO from me.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2022, 02:57 PM   #3
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The VACC wants the Victorian government to implement an annual rwc requirement for vehicles aged 8 ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post

But if it includes all the other malarkey that has nothing to do with safety, then a big fat NO from me.
"safety check" lol

will turn into a $2000 bill at most places
Old 07-11-2022, 03:12 PM   #4
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Long overdue look forward to it
If you frequent a shonk mechanic yep he'll take advantage, will weed out some dodgy workshops and have more safer cars on the roads with appropite tread on rubber and brakes in good working order - I'd sooner the 2 above when these low maintenance neglecting repairs when heading towards my wife's car and kids in the rain more so.......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2022, 04:07 PM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I'm in two minds with this one. I am all for checks of cars, ours are regularly serviced by the dealer.

My concern is around who will fund the annual checks? Ideally it should be part of the rego, which is costly as it is (otherwise just another money grab to hide the issue or **** drivers and **** roads). The image only states it is linked to rego but my assumption on that is, no pass, no rego.
The second item would be to understand what the criteria/scope of checks will include. My worry is that it would "creep" out a little.
Thirdly who would be eligible to carry out these checks and how long before the rego expires will it need to be done?
Old 07-11-2022, 04:27 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've never paid for a legitimate road worthy certificate in my life - and I don't intend on starting now

Good money spinner for workshops, anyone willing to bend the rules is going to do well out of this.

I've still got my ABN

VACC don't know **** from clay, they're just trying to pretend they're actually doing something for their members aside from their white and orange sign they give you.

You'd do more for safety if you introduced Australian Standards for replacement service items, no more Chinese tyres and brake pads that don't grip for **** and hardly stop the car.

Car yard wants second hand tyres and $12 brake pads for the cars on its lot and when it rains your child ends up on DCOA compilation backwards in the roundabout.

If they want to introduce this legislation then since speed limits are set for the lowest common denominator on our roads then those of us who pass these requirements should be able to do speed limit + 250%

Poor vehicle condition leads to 6% of traffic fatalities, so let's spend a ****load overhauling the registration system of Victoria to reduce it by 50%, to a total of 3% of the road toll.

So in 2021, 11 people died on our roads from poorly maintained cars, and they want to spend all this money to reduce it to around 6 people a year.

How many Victorians die a week from COVID? Why this fascination with the minuscule amount of Victorians dying on our roads?

185 deaths/year out of 6.3 million people is acceptable numbers to me - system is fine as it is.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-11-2022 at 04:47 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2022, 04:49 PM   #7
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.bitre.gov.au/statistics/...crash_database

A quick look at the fatality stats from the last few years, excluding covid lock down years. Which states have yearly checks? NSW as far as I know. Based on that, doesn't look like its making a difference. Have I missed something?

2018:
ACT 9
NSW 347
NT 50
Qld 245
SA 80
Tas 32
Vic 213
WA 158

2019:
ACT 6
NSW 353
NT 36
Qld 219
SA 114
Tas 29
Vic 266
WA 163

2022:
ACT 12
NSW 226
NT 38
Qld 226
SA 55
Tas 43
Vic 192
WA 118

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 07-11-2022, 04:52 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
https://www.bitre.gov.au/statistics/...crash_database

A quick look at the fatality stats from the last few years, excluding covid lock down years. Which states have yearly checks? NSW as far as I know. Based on that, doesn't look like its making a difference. Have I missed something?

2018:
ACT 9
NSW 347
NT 50
Qld 245
SA 80
Tas 32
Vic 213
WA 158

2019:
ACT 6
NSW 353
NT 36
Qld 219
SA 114
Tas 29
Vic 266
WA 163

2022:
ACT 12
NSW 226
NT 38
Qld 226
SA 55
Tas 43
Vic 192
WA 118
40% of Australia's entire population lives in Melbourne and Sydney metropolitan areas and yet combined its less than 750 deaths a year between both out of over 10 million people.

Mountain out of a mole hill, if anything they should be cutting funding to organisations like the TAC because they're over funded.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:54 PM   #9
.:4:.
Kicking back

Annual rego inspections, really? Its not a big deal if your car is in decent shape. If you drive a raging pile, well, if deemed unsafe then probably shouldnt be on the road.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2022, 05:31 PM   #10
Trevor 57
is now there

Won't happen, there is no data to support the implementation of RWC in Victoria

Less than 1% of all fatal and near fatal accidents are a result of an unroadworthy vehicle, it is ALWAYS other contributing factors, like speed, fatigue alcohol & drugs, distraction, etc

NSW has compulsory annual roadworthies and their road fatalities are no better than ours (in fact worse) and T3rminator's numbers support my argument

The whole thing is about drumming up business for their members , nothing more, nothing less
Old 07-11-2022, 06:17 PM   #11
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
The whole thing is about drumming up business for their members , nothing more, nothing less
Or if like anti motorist, anti roading NZ it will be used as a tool to remove old vehicles off the road (reducing the average age of national fleet), another way to make it more expensive and inconvenient to own a vehicle in the hope people will use public transport or cycle.
6 monthly or annual vehicle checks can be carried out by Indy garages at their discretion but most checks done by Govt initiated testing stations full of third world failed ‘mechanics’ paid above industry standard but have nfi what they are looking at.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2022, 10:08 PM   #12
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

It will come in at some point as some “green initiative” to remove older cars from our roads and replace them with newer ev’s
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2022, 10:11 PM   #13
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
It will come in at some point as some “green initiative” to remove older cars from our roads and replace them with newer ev’s
ok no problem

as long as the victorian government buys our heavily collectible classic au forte's off us for top dollar . I'm in
6 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2022, 10:33 PM   #14
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I'm surprised it's out to 8 years. UK starts at 3yo cars annually, Germany starts at 3yo bi-annually. 15 US states have annual inspection requirements starting even from 2yo

I'm further surprised that Vic Classic reg doesn't require roadworthy after the initial one
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2022, 10:36 PM   #15
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Pre uber Taxis in Qld had to be inspected 6 monthly by Qld Transport...after uber yearly by any mechanic that got a certificate...muuuch safer.

I remember one govt inspection the Falcon car failed because the rubber bung in the spare wheel well was missing...it wasnt missing I took it out as the wheel well fills with rainwater in taxis as the boot is open a lot. The newby junior guy was adamant it was a safety breach as people could get gassed by exhaust fumes. I walked into the Boss guys office (who I knew and was sensible) with the junior protesting, explaining to the boss regulation 2.3(a) or whatever the exhaust fumes would get sucked in and carbon monoxide poisoning, and certain death would follow blah, blah blah.
I turned to junior and said "What happens if open a window then?"...boss guy cracks up laughing and stamps me "passed", tells me to F off back to work and was tearing strips off junior as I left.

A lot of good intentions fail miserably in execution.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2022, 07:58 AM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

A quick look around NSW, tells me annual RWC checks dont really do a lot. So many piles of junk on the road.
Ive had a car have a NSW RWC, where i stayed and waited and it never left the workshop. There would be and is workshops that do do the right thing thats for sure.
I highly doubt its about Roadworthiness of cars and road safety.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2022, 08:43 AM   #17
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I'm surprised it's out to 8 years. UK starts at 3yo cars annually, Germany starts at 3yo bi-annually. 15 US states have annual inspection requirements starting even from 2yo

I'm further surprised that Vic Classic reg doesn't require roadworthy after the initial one
Hi. Cant really use any of those countries as a guide to how long to wait for inspections to start as the roads can get salted during winter to melt the snow. You tend to find that cars in those places rust out in 4 or 5 years with things like brake lines starting to fail at 2 years old. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2022, 12:00 PM   #18
marty351
Shenanigans..............

As Franco mentioned TAC's generous budgetary allowance, perhaps we may see an advert or two highlighting dodgy mechanics and DIY service and repair fails.

I'd be targeting the community segment that are somewhat averse to spending any amount of money, even for the most egregious issues.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2022, 12:09 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post

Its about time they did something for their members

They'd be better off trying to shore up support for independent repairers rather than trying to lobby the media with bull**** stories, but that would mean actually doing something for the money you give them.

They're an irrelevant group who do **** all for the industry.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:11 PM   #20
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Doesn't work in NSW, what makes them think it'll work in VIC?
Old 08-11-2022, 03:36 PM   #21
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
You tend to find that cars in those places rust out in 4 or 5 years with things like brake lines starting to fail at 2 years old.
sure, but it's about a lot more than just corrosion isn't it? brake fluid degrades after 2 years as it's hydroscopic. over worn tyres and busted headlamps would be picked up. again - it only proves the car is safe 'on the day' but given some of the **** heaps around here I can't wait for it to come.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2022, 04:54 PM   #22
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
sure, but it's about a lot more than just corrosion isn't it? brake fluid degrades after 2 years as it's hydroscopic. over worn tyres and busted headlamps would be picked up. again - it only proves the car is safe 'on the day' but given some of the **** heaps around here I can't wait for it to come.
Sorry to be a pedant, but that is 'hygroscopic'.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2022, 05:07 PM   #23
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
it only proves the car is safe 'on the day'....
1000%. I've had two brake lines rupture on me whilst on the road. Its never been picked up despite being in for a number of $28 pedders checks. Given how they like to report every nitty gritty detail, I find it hard to believe they will not have inspected it, so one can assume they looked ok at the time.

Rides (past and present)

Old 08-11-2022, 05:09 PM   #24
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The VACC float this proposal every so often using the same argument. Touting business for their membership.

Last edited by Bill M; 08-11-2022 at 05:10 PM. Reason: grammar
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2022, 06:06 PM   #25
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I've seen some of the second hand cars in Victoria without RWC, you guys need it! And that show Highway Patrol. Seems all the vic cars have no tread on their tyres.

We have had it for 5 year old cars forever in NSW. Indicators, lights, brake lights, tyres, leaks and a brake test. Nothing OTT and fair enough too.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2022, 07:53 PM   #26
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a fleet of 150 taxis, so been through this

While there is an argument for taxis generally speaking as Trev points out there is no data to suggest there is any benefit in the private market

Just the VACC seeming to do something and maybe get their argument up with the political climate but doubt it.

Buy shares in windscreen companies if this gets up trust me, every taxi every roadworthy pinged for windsceen. At one stage I put a new screen in just to see if it was pinged lol (it wasn't)

If it flukes getting up, steam clean is your friend, had one hoist nearly dedicated to that job and leave stuff for them to pick otherwise you force them to look a lot harder
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2022, 09:36 PM   #27
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
ok no problem

as long as the victorian government buys our heavily collectible classic au forte's off us for top dollar . I'm in
I’d be screwed, I have 2 au’s a ba and a bf !
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2022, 10:53 PM   #28
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pre 2020 I spent a bit over 31 years as a Queensland copper, so I've attended and investigated a prang or two you might say. I reckon I could count on one hand the number of those crashes that were directly caused by a vehicle defect.

Yes, there were plenty of instances where a crashed car had some rust in it or the tyres were marginal, but those defects weren't actual causal factors. The overwhelming majority of crashes can be directly attributed to old mate (or matette - I think I just invented a new word!) behind the wheel being either incompetent, impatient, inattentive, driving too fast for the conditions, driving under the influence, or a combination of any of the above.

I'd be very suspicious of the motivation behind the proposal. A cynical person could surmise that it may be a neat opportunity to appease the the left of the political spectrum by forcing people out of their older cars and into a 'cleaner greener' vehicle. but that wouldn't be it - surely?
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2022, 11:11 PM   #29
.:4:.
Kicking back

Im not against rego inspections. Basic stuff like bald tyres, yes and basic stuff anyone can tell if something isnt correct.
My car is not the quietest. So i didnt pick up on this, it had blown out the gasket from the mid bit to the up and over rear section.
Yeah, that wouldn't kill any sea turtles, but it was pointed out with the car on the lift.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2022, 11:57 PM   #30
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Agree with safety check, I'm an early starter where I see the same old bombs driving to work with the same headlights or tail/stops light not working, day in day out.
Annual vehicle checks will help getting these things repaired or thrown off the road.
I bet we all see the same old crap boxes getting around our roads.
Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: