Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #211
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Towing a Caravan - Mechanical strain etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Four View Post
^ You can't fix stupid.
This isn't caused by towing a heavy load.
It's caused by a dumb person doing a dumb thing.
Yes, in this case the dumb person was towing too heavy a load, and then tried to overtake at high speed.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:03 PM   #212
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This is just not true. You don't need 10-15% to be safe.
Why does the handbook in my car say 5-10% if it needs 10-15% to be safe.
Why does VW only require 5%.
Maybe if you want to tow at 130-160km/h you need to be at 10-15%. But seriously, you can't do that speed anywhere in Australia.
Thousand of people all over the world tow safely at 5%-10%.
I'm not agreeing with Fed on the negative ball weight and would never recommend that either. But this myth of 10-15% is just garbage.
It's not garbage, far from it.
The MORE weight you can put on the car the better.
Have a look at a 5th-wheeler,
or better yet a conventional semi, half the weight is on the Prime Mover.

But your car's rear-end needs to be able to take the weight, and the hitch must be up for it, and most are not.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #213
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Have a look at a 5th-wheeler,
or better yet a conventional semi, half the weight is on the Prime Mover.
5th wheel and semis are substantially different in that the hitch is above the rear axle. Massively different to an overhung hitch.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #214
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would disagree on the weight.That looks to be aroun 5.5-6 metre open boat which would probably weigh around 15-1800 kgs,but I would presume that the ball weight was too low. Looking at that trailer it would appear that it probably has some sort of half*****d mods to fit a bigger boat than it was intended to have on it,resulting in too much boat behind the wheels resulting in too little ball weight.I would agree that I would much rather have 15% or even 20% ball weight if the tow vehicle would handle. 250 kg on the ball and you could tow that boat at 120km/h no problem.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #215
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I would disagree on the weight.That looks to be aroun 5.5-6 metre open boat which would probably weigh around 15-1800 kgs,but I would presume that the ball weight was too low. Looking at that trailer it would appear that it probably has some sort of half*****d mods to fit a bigger boat than it was intended to have on it,resulting in too much boat behind the wheels resulting in too little ball weight.I would agree that I would much rather have 15% or even 20% ball weight if the tow vehicle would handle. 250 kg on the ball and you could tow that boat at 120km/h no problem.

It was excessive speed with driver over correcting with the steering that caused the accident, you can clearly see him nearly going off the verge of the road then tries to correct abruptly in which he loses control.
Nothing to do with weight or incorrect boat trailer.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 12:28 AM   #216
hayseed

Quote:
Nope, Just some Numnuts who had His Ambitions confused with his Capabilities..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 12:59 AM   #217
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
5th wheel and semis are substantially different in that the hitch is above the rear axle. Massively different to an overhung hitch.
Yeah the difference is 25% is about optimal for fifth wheel, and 10-15% is best for conventional. The people insisting less is always better or “no more than 5% because my owners manual says so,” are saying that because they’re not really talking about vehicles designed for towing. If you can’t put 10-15% of your trailer load on your hitch, because it will sag and overload the rear axle, then it’s too much trailer weight for that vehicle. Yes, you can shift more load toward the rear of the trailer to help level it, strap on your towing mirrors and away you go, but you’re dealing with compromises. It may be fine as long as you understand it. Now pull that same trailer with a vehicle designed to take the load, load the trailer properly so 10-15% is on the tongue, tell me which towing experience was more stable.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 03:43 AM   #218
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
5th wheel and semis are substantially different
Really?
Oh wow, thanks for telling us!
And there was me thinking my AU was the same as a Kenworth

In point of fact the overriding principle remains the same. You want to put as much of the weight as possible on the towing vehicle, but yes, as I said, the strength and nature of the car and the hitch limits that.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 11-08-2020 at 03:54 AM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 08:28 AM   #219
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Really?

In point of fact the overriding principle remains the same. You want to put as much of the weight as possible on the towing vehicle, but yes, as I said, the strength and nature of the car and the hitch limits that.

Best way to tow IMO.

Seems a lot of towing accidents started showing up around the same time they allowed higher speed limits for towed trailers a couple of years back.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 09:12 AM   #220
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lot of factors for more crashed.More caravans on the roads,but the biggest probably is people towing bigger heavier vans with unsuitable tow cars.How many times do you see 7.5-8 metre caravans weighing around 3 tonnes being towed by Ranger size vehicles.All good til a strong gust of wind or a bit of broken road surface and away everything goes.Big difference between towing a trailer loaded with building materials and a 3 t hollow box/ windsock with an 8sq metre wall in the front.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #221
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Kfl97b57s
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #222
Chapter Four

We've now got people saying more than 15% - where should we stop, 30%, 50%?.
Why don't we all just buy tilt trays and put our trailers on that, would be much safer.
Of course there are compromises, no one said there isn't.
What I and others have said, is that you can tow heavy trailers with less than 10% ball weight safely.
I've done thousands of kilometers doing so, but I suppose I've never tried to overtake at +120km/h on a single lane highway with an unsecured load either
I'm happy doing 80kmh safely towing my 2T load. It's the compromise I'm willing to make. I also pull over when i can to let others pass, I'm in no hurry.
If a driver can't tow safely at 5-10% ball load, it says more about the driver than it does the tow vehicle and trailer.

Maybe there needs to be some form of licence to tow more than 750kg, ie a braked trailer, so numptys like the guy in the video are taught some of the basics, but for some I doubt even that would help. Sometimes you can't help stupid.
Chapter Four is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 10:18 AM   #223
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWJ4Iy6ek24
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #224
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
I see the mighty AU was unscathed at 3.30

So what to do when it sways?

Accelerate?

Engage electric brakes on caravan?
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 10:24 AM   #225
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

Accelerate?

Unscathed.....for an AU ;-) ....I know....BASTARD!

One thing these videos demonstrate is the danger of the pressure wave at the front of Semis, and the effect they have on vans, indeed cars themselves.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #226
Chapter Four

Quote:
Great video.
4WDs, big US pick ups, family sedans, Mid sized euros, box trailers, large vans, even an empty trailer.
So either nothing is safe, or the way they were loaded and driven was unsafe.
Chapter Four is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #227
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Lot of factors for more crashed.More caravans on the roads,but the biggest probably is people towing bigger heavier vans with unsuitable tow cars.How many times do you see 7.5-8 metre caravans weighing around 3 tonnes being towed by Ranger size vehicles.All good til a strong gust of wind or a bit of broken road surface and away everything goes.Big difference between towing a trailer loaded with building materials and a 3 t hollow box/ windsock with an 8sq metre wall in the front.
I never believed towing on the max with any car, wagons utes & suv's but I don't see a problem with vans (wobbly boxes) as you put it if driven correctly under any conditions, usually the problem is the loose nut behind the wheel.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 11:45 AM   #228
prydey
Rob

Quote:
,but the biggest probably is people towing bigger heavier vans with unsuitable tow cars.How many times do you see 7.5-8 metre caravans weighing around 3 tonnes being towed by Ranger size vehicles.All good til a strong gust of wind or a bit of broken road surface and away everything goes.Big difference between towing a trailer loaded with building materials and a 3 t hollow box/ windsock with an 8sq metre wall in the front.
I don't agree. A ranger is actually a very good tow vehicle. In fact it's technically better than a land cruiser if you're towing 3t or less. The reason is it has the longest wheelbase and the shortest distance from rear axle to hitch. These are two very important attributes.

Modern dual cabs and wagons actually tow quite well if they are set up properly and within the manufacturers ratings and driven at appropriate speeds. Many just never read their owners manual to find out that info.

Crash statistics also point out that crashes involving vehicles towing are a very small percentage of overall crashes on the roads. Most accidents are caused by the device between the steering wheel and the seat.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #229
hayseed

Quote:

Maybe there needs to be some form of licence to tow more than 750kg, ie a braked trailer, so numptys like the guy in the video are taught some of the basics, but for some I doubt even that would help. Sometimes you can't help stupid.

Couldn't agree more..
3 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #230
prydey
Rob

Quote:

I'm not an advocate for an extra licence but what I think would help is if authorities started policing the activity a lot more, especially weighing. This might get people to do their due diligence and make sure they are within all the ratings.

Currently very little policing happens.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:13 PM   #231
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Really?

Not quite. Cars and trailers are connected behind the rear axle.

Trailers on a Semi are connected directly over (or slightly to the front of) the drive axles. Which, as you would know, helps eliminate the 'tail wagging the dog' effect.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:07 PM   #232
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Not quite. Cars and trailers are connected behind the rear axle.

Trailers on a Semi are connected directly over (or slightly to the front of) the drive axles. Which, as you would know, helps eliminate the 'tail wagging the dog' effect.
i believe its also one of the reasons why 'pig' trailers are not very common these days, as 'dog' trailers are much safer.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #233
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
i believe its also one of the reasons why 'pig' trailers are not very common these days, as 'dog' trailers are much safer.
Pig trailers are everywhere on the Eastcoast, so many tourist coaches and removalist use them.
Yep, agree with others here caravaner's need an endorsed towing licence.

Old 11-08-2020, 01:26 PM   #234
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

Accelerate?

I see the standard AU faded roof.
Note that accident was on the M1 at Berowra entrance lane, flat stretch of the freeway so he must have been racing the BA wagon next to him. Points for keeping it upright.

Old 11-08-2020, 01:29 PM   #235
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yep, agree with others here caravaner's need an endorsed towing licence.
statistically, the percentage of caravans that come unstuck compared to the number of vans on the road, is very small.

you have to get a licence to drive a car/truck/motorbike etc yet people crash them every day. a licence is not a solution. its just more red tape and expense.

Perhaps what people really want is some form of mandatory training. I believe these facilities already exist but are voluntary.

I still don't see the need. These opinions are often put forward by generations who had very little in the way of training for any licence aquired back in those days. Rather ironic really.
Old 11-08-2020, 01:35 PM   #236
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
statistically, the percentage of caravans that come unstuck compared to the number of vans on the road, is very small.

you have to get a licence to drive a car/truck/motorbike etc yet people crash them every day. a licence is not a solution. its just more red tape and expense.

Perhaps what people really want is some form of mandatory training. I believe these facilities already exist but are voluntary.

I still don't see the need. These opinions are often put forward by generations who had very little in the way of training for any licence aquired back in those days. Rather ironic really.
Articulated vehicles IMO need extra testing. I need extra testing to drive trucks or buses so why not caravanners to pull heavy vans around. Why not over a certain weight of GCM. Or go back to lowering the speed limit for towed trailers of a certain GCM.

2 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2020, 01:54 PM   #237
hayseed

Considering that Modern Vehicles have the ECU set to, disable any parking sensors/Reverse camera's while ever there's a trailer being Towed. It'd be very simple to set It up so the vehicle Can't go faster than (say) 90kmh whilst Towing..

The euro's recommend a lower Towing speed limit for a reason..!
Old 11-08-2020, 01:55 PM   #238
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In that particular video, and the RHD rollovers (Aus?) .... how many were FWD tow vehicles, which had more weight aboard the trailer/van than the weight of the tow vehicle.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #239
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
In that particular video, and the RHD rollovers (Aus?) .... how many were FWD tow vehicles, which had more weight aboard the trailer/van than the weight of the tow vehicle.
The English one at the end, towing a Transit van on a car trailer. the driver should have gone to prison for the stupidity.

Old 11-08-2020, 02:24 PM   #240
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I see the standard AU faded roof.
Note that accident was on the M1 at Berowra entrance lane, flat stretch of the freeway so he must have been racing the BA wagon next to him. Points for keeping it upright.
coming down the hill onto moony moony bridge was my first thought.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post