Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-01-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Advice on camping

Hi everyone

Just wondered with a tent how you’re going to get the comforts you would in a van and cabin because as most of you’s know it’s going to be a long time before having own van because.

1. Want the ed sedan to do up soon as and still trying to get that and

2. Need to sort storage out first and waiting until am able to buy.

What aircons are people using in tents to make them cooler and what heaters are people using in winter to keep warm .

What tent would be easiest and quickest to setup with minimum effort that has the comforts of a van until am able to have own van, can think of the jayco jpod types and would build a slide on box that looks like the jayco jpod that allows you to slide on and take off to use trailer as a work trailer but got to build trailer first

And where am living at moment it’s hard to find space particularly where you can use a welder to weld chassis for trailer.

Does anyone know how much it’d cost to pay a engineer to weld the chassis together if you paid them to do it and you hire a car trailer to bring it home.

Would buying a basic box trailer be better then you just add accessories you want to it.

Back to the camping bit, was wondering what’s the minimum gear you would need to do it until you can build up.

Can think of

Bedding
Food
Fridge (have a 15l one so far)
12v lights (have some)
12v sockets (can make some 12v boards)
12v battery (have the battery box plus dcdc charger for car and carry around, just need batteries)
Cooking gear
Cooker
15a ext cord if using at holiday park (because as/nzs3001 requires you to still use a 15a cord from pedistal to your site)
Rcd power board (if using 240v)

Have probably missed a few things as minimum.

You can always build up later

Could you fit a 40-50l fridge in a boot in a sedan (it’d be hard to fit probably)

As lifestyle is changing would it be ok to keep the ba and put up with it till it dies completely which might be a long time or might be never or past 300,000 or 20 years if you like it or can’t yet afford next car you want or would you be better to try and find a way to change it before that time comes

Looking for friends similar age to camp with but need to get setup first
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2022, 12:36 PM   #2
nearlythere

Default Re: Advice on camping

Dude! Your camping. It's all about roughing it really. A 4 man tent, air bed, pump for the bed ect is all pretty cheap and easy to get. Even Kmart. Get bare essentials and go camp.
Tent
air bed
bed pump
cigar socket USB port and power bank
Esky
gas cooker
pot
pan
cups

cutlery
tongs
And all cheap as chips while sorting your other bits.
nearlythere is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2022, 01:17 PM   #3
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also would like air conditioner and heater if too hot or cold, what is a way while sorting other bits out
Old 27-01-2022, 01:27 PM   #4
Honest Gaza

If 'Off-Grid'....Water
Honest Gaza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #5
nearlythere

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
Also would like air conditioner and heater if too hot or cold, what is a way while sorting other bits out

If it's to hot mate just wear cooler clothes and put your tent in a shady area maybe under a tree but make sure its not very windy because branches might fall onto your tent. If it's cold wear warm clothes and have a minus 10 sleeping bag haha. And if you can a nice fire to sit by.
Once you have been camping a few times you'll start to know what you need and what to expect. And yes take plenty of water.

Pretty good cheap and easy food to take is cup noodles so you'll need a kettle to boil the water for them.
Baked beans, spag, soup. With a pan you can cook some ham burgers, chicken burgers, snags ect.

But like I said after a few trips you'll soon understand what works and what doesn't. I've been camping for years, I have now gone back to a tent after having a camper and using my 4X4.
I still think of things I need haha.
Basically just sort out a tent, a bed, warm bedding and clothes, plenty of water and food. Oh and panadol ect for headaches stings ect.
And most times your own company is pretty good or one friend.
As for the cooling and heating I wouldn't even bother with that at the moment. Just focus on the essentials.

Hope this has helped a bit and good luck.

Kim

PS, Buying a battery box and adding your own accessories like 12v plugs, USB sockets, volt meter is fun and very handy.
And a solar panel is also very handy. But remember they MUST run a voltage regulator to keep the voltage at a charging level without cooking the battery. Most already have one fitted. I put my regulator on on my battery box as it's easier to keep an eye on because if the battery is charging at 20 volts as mine have once it will boil the battery and it then becomes rubbish.

Last edited by nearlythere; 27-01-2022 at 02:20 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-01-2022, 02:38 PM   #6
.:4:.
Kicking back

Realistically, a single burner gasmate cartridge style stove will set you back under $30 from bunnings. You can get 4 gas canisters for $5. A 2 burner is closer to $50. So cheap as. If you're camping close enough to a small town, you dont need a fridge. An esky with a bag of ice in it will last the best part of 2 days staying cold, if not 2 and a half days. So $4.50 on a bag of ice isnt going to run you poor. Keeping warm, thats easy. Jumpers and a sleeping bag. A/c in a tent? Thats not camping. Worst case a tea towel in the esky.
So yeah a tent and something to sleep on. Basic utensils, basic cooking gear. Esky, food, some form of water storage, clothing and bedding and you should be able to spend a few nights away but not be roughing it per say. Also take a hammer for tent pegs.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2022, 02:43 PM   #7
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also how do you find friends similar age to you when you always work every weekend and holiday when it seems that’s when most younger people are not working and are out doing stuff until you’re able to change and have different hours

Also is there still a way to meet people your age or reconnect with old friends the way baby boomers did at that age or are we just going to have to accept that people born in late 70s on now days go to pubs and use apps and take chances and be careful

Last edited by car10002; 27-01-2022 at 02:53 PM.
Old 27-01-2022, 02:53 PM   #8
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
You can buy 12 volt 'swampy evaporative air conditioners, a good one is about $400

2 of my kids bought diesel heaters, built water proof boxes for them, leave the unit outside and just have heat hose blowing in the tent. They work a treat
Old 27-01-2022, 02:57 PM   #9
.:4:.
Kicking back

I forgot, bog rolls, do not forget those.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2022, 03:36 PM   #10
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also how do you find friends similar age to you when you always work every weekend and holiday when it seems that’s when most younger people are not working and are out doing stuff until you’re able to change and have different hours

Also is there still a way to meet people your age or reconnect with old friends the way baby boomers did at that age or are we just going to have to accept that people born in late 70s on now days go to pubs and use apps and take chances and be careful

Also why do holiday parks and sites and cabins seem busier and less free spots than same time before 2020
Old 27-01-2022, 04:09 PM   #11
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also...
Come on mate.
Don't worry, if you're in a caravan park, sit outside your tent with a six pack, suddenly you'll have lots of friends.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-01-2022, 09:23 PM   #12
nearlythere

Quote:

Also why do holiday parks and sites and cabins seem busier and less free spots than same time before 2020

Mate I'm 43 so late 70's also and you wont find me in a pub or on facebook ect.
The outdoors is where I like life best.
Old 27-01-2022, 10:32 PM   #13
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don’t build a trailer just buy someone else’s that have taken the depreciation hit. Keep it basic. If it is hot use a small tent rechargeable fan if it is cold use a hot water bottle. Buy cookware that can be used on a fire, especially to heat water for your hot water bottle. Make sure everything has multiple uses eg shovel to dig a hole for toilet, fire and shovelling coals for cooking, get out of a bog. Tomahawk to chop small bits of firewood and turn over to bang in tent pegs.
Basic stuff is
Tent look for a 6 man tent. You can stand up in it to get changed etc.
Mattress of some description
Sleeping bag
Camp chair
Small camp table
Esky
3m x 3m gazebo
Tarp
Cookware
Plate, bowl cutlery etc
Gas burner cartridge type
Headlamp - gives you 2 hands to eat cook etc
Torch
Shovel
Matches
Water
Jaffle iron
Food

As you get more funds and more experience
Battery box
Fridge
Solar panel
Camp oven
Led lights

Most of the stuff I listed is for bush camping. Some of it you can cull if you are staying in a caravan park.

Keep an eye out on marketplace for people offloading their gear. Some buy all the good stuff and use it once when they realise they don’t like camping after all.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2022, 12:31 AM   #14
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi

Only reason for trailer is needing a work trailer to cart stuff and may either pay a engineer to weld the chassis if the uncle can’t help or buy a basic box trailer and add toolbox and hurdles and some other accessories bit by bit

Do have a 200w solar blanket hopefully it still works and have a battery box for cars dual battery and a box to carry as well with dcdc for both but got to save up for batteries and install car one in car

And are you able to buy a fg dual battery tray for back right in boot that’s used in a highway patrol car for the spot and would it fit a ba.

Can you buy a ba boot battery tray that’s used in police cars like the fg model

Or would you be better with a universal one that fits that box and bolt that in and make brackets for fuse box and dcdc
Old 28-01-2022, 08:38 AM   #15
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate, please excuse my bluntness in the following...
from reading many of your posts I suspect you don't fit into 'normal' as society calls it.
Are you able to access disability benefits?
Do you get positive support from family members? who is your NDIS provider?
They should have sdvisors who could provide better answers to each if your situations than we can. If not then maybe look for another NDIS provider/support group.
Old 28-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Are you looking at camping as a cheap semi-permanent housing option till you get into something else?

This is a totally different kettle of fish than trying to set up some kit for the odd weekend away.

One thing I have learnt in life is to not plan too much into the future. Speaking from a lot of experience.

Don't worry about what you are doing in 10 years or when your BA dies a natural death.

Get comfortable now and then work your way into the next step. This talk of setting up a camping trailer rig and using an engineer is costly, especially when you seem to not have an ideal current living situation.

Ask yourself this. What can you do NOW to make you a little more happy? What is achievable in your CURRENT predicament to better your situation?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #17
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
from reading many of your posts I suspect you don't fit into 'normal' as society calls it.
They should have sdvisors who could provide better answers to each if your situations than we can. If not then maybe look for another NDIS provider/support group.
Don’t need or want ndis
Old 05-02-2022, 12:04 PM   #18
nearlythere

Hows it going mate?
Old 05-02-2022, 04:54 PM   #19
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Don’t need or want ndis
Well you certainly have my compliments and admiration

Kind Regards Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2022, 10:03 PM   #20
nearlythere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post

Mate if NORMAL is working 60 hours a week,Having a huge mortgage, credit cards galore, driving an ASX, being on every social media platform and posting pics of your meals and anything else for self validation then consider me for one as very un-normal.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:04 PM   #21
nearlythere

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Well you certainly have my compliments and admiration

Kind Regards Billy.

Yep! second that.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:10 AM   #22
Trevor 57
is now there

taking this completely off-topic, but seeing as NDIS came up, I didn't realise to recently that there is NO means test to access NDIS funding. Any wonder it is a free-for-all

I know a quite wealth family and I mean quite wealthy who are accessing NDIS for their 2 kids - what is the kids issues - old parents!!! Old sperm and old eggs, so the taxpayer just keeps paying

One of my family members who has a genuine physical disability accesses NDIS but doesn't abuse it, she actually gets quite cranky at people who do abuse it. She works part time in the disability area and is constantly amazed at the outright abuse of the NDIS
Old 08-02-2022, 09:07 AM   #23
leesa

There’s nothing shameful in accepting help. We all need some help sometimes, you don’t have to tough it out alone. They might be able to help you achieve some of your goals?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2022, 10:39 AM   #24
Trevor 57
is now there

There is wholesale abuse of the NDIS. I know first hand the needs of people with a disability and needing a leg up, probably much better than you do, but people are abusing the system and taxpayers are paying

I might contact Albo and tell him to fix it when he becomes PM

Anyway, back on topic
Old 08-02-2022, 11:20 AM   #25
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
There is wholesale abuse of the NDIS. I know first hand the needs of people with a disability and needing a leg up, probably much better than you do, but people are abusing the system and taxpayers are paying

Anyway, back on topic
Is NDIS funded Federally or by each State or Territory Trev! As in from a Central fund and dispersed like GST?......
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2022, 11:22 AM   #26
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post

Anyway, back on topic
Was this directed at me? If so, my post wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the OP. People seem to be giving him a pat on the back for not wanting help but I just wanted to add that there's no shame in seeking or accepting it.

That aside, the "I know the needs of people much better than you do" stuff is probably unnecessary, noone is suggesting they know more about the system than you do. There's no need to lay claim to your territory after detecting a challenge about your knowledge of the system.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2022, 12:11 PM   #27
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
...but I just wanted to add that there's no shame in seeking or accepting it.
Absolutely agree, leesa, it's ok to say you're not ok. It's better to seek help early and address an issue than allow something to fester and become much bigger and harder to address.

Not that this necessarily applies to the op, as I don't know their situation at all.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2022, 01:02 PM   #28
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Was this directed at me? If so, my post wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the OP. People seem to be giving him a pat on the back for not wanting help but I just wanted to add that there's no shame in seeking or accepting it.

That aside, the "I know the needs of people much better than you do" stuff is probably unnecessary, noone is suggesting they know more about the system than you do. There's no need to lay claim to your territory after detecting a challenge about your knowledge of the system.
I read your response as a rebuttal to me, you posted immediately after mine with no quote from who you were addressing, so of course I read it that you were responding to me

I am not going to apologise for my post

anyway, back on topic