Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-01-2022, 01:39 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Microwave Oven Trim

Ok, a question for the Collective Brains Trust:

I have installed a Built-In Microwave (Bosch) into an existing recess. Unfortunately the opening to the recess is significantly wider than even the front facia of the microwave. If I place the microwave centrally, there is an unsightly 1cm gap on either side.

It's a first-world problem, but I would like to neaten it up.

The Manufacturer does not offer a trim kit for this oven.
(Their helpful suggestion was to have the cabinet custom-made)

I have looked at the kits from other manufacturers, but even if I could find one the right size, they are extortionately expensive. ($3~400 for some pressed stainless)

Now for somebody with the right skills and tools, there are a myriad of possibilities. Unfortunately I have neither. Even when I had a Mitre-Saw, my attempts at Mitre-Joints were decidedly agricultural.

So I'm looking for something "ready made".
(If I end up needing some more cabinet work done, I can ask a cabinet maker to knock something up, but I'm not getting in a professional just to do a trim.

I'm surprised that something isn't available on ebay (given the abundance of useless junk) but so so far my googling has failed me.

Best I can think of to date is maybe a picture frame (if I could find one the right size) but that may be too thick.

(Please move to a more appropriate board if required)
Old 30-01-2022, 02:20 PM   #2
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Default Re: Microwave Oven Trim

Some trim from Bunnings
https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/p...stOrder&page=1

And a Mitre box
https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/p...stOrder&page=1
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2022, 02:27 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

What about window weather strips which comes in all sizes black or white.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2022, 02:37 PM   #4
.:4:.
Kicking back

Can you put up a photo? That should make it easier for better suggestions.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2022, 02:38 PM   #5
marty351
Shenanigans..............

If you cover up these gaps, does the microwave still have adequate ventilation for heat and moisture to escape?
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2022, 03:33 PM   #6
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
If you cover up these gaps, does the microwave still have adequate ventilation for heat and moisture to escape?
I was going to ask the same question, or at least point out to make sure their is adequate ventilation. Some cabinets have a vent at the back into the roof.

We have a large standard type microwave in a space that is too small for it with a roof vent at the rear and it causes it to power down as the unit get hotter. So for every minute early on it powers for 55 to 60 sec. Towards the end its down to 40 to 50 sec for every minute. Annoying that for say every 10 mins its on it's only actually cooking for justs over 8 minutes.

But in answer to the question, still maybe approach a cabinet maker during the week.

They might have some black laminated (if that's the colour you need) board offcuts they can cut down into 1cm strips for you to slide in beside. Maybe they could even knock up some stainless trim to slide in between. Pieces you could double sided tape or velco to the cabinet to keep in place. Nothing professional in that.

In my experience the small businesses around here seem to be happy when someone walks in offering a few $$$ for stuff they are only going to throw away. Haven't been knocked back yet.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2022, 03:40 PM   #7
.:4:.
Kicking back

My mum has an inbuilt setup, so do many offices i used to work in. In all those cases, replacing a bum microwave there was an exhaust vent that fitted to the rear that vented out the front of the trim surround via vents. There was 1 house though where the cupboard had a vent into the ceiling space. But if its supposed to be inbuilt, there should be some vent situation, otherwise its a potential fire hazzard.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2022, 11:41 AM   #8
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Ok, a question for the Collective Brains Trust:

I have installed a Built-In Microwave (Bosch) into an existing recess. Unfortunately the opening to the recess is significantly wider than even the front facia of the microwave. If I place the microwave centrally, there is an unsightly 1cm gap on either side.

It's a first-world problem, but I would like to neaten it up.

The Manufacturer does not offer a trim kit for this oven.
(Their helpful suggestion was to have the cabinet custom-made)

I have looked at the kits from other manufacturers, but even if I could find one the right size, they are extortionately expensive. ($3~400 for some pressed stainless)

Now for somebody with the right skills and tools, there are a myriad of possibilities. Unfortunately I have neither. Even when I had a Mitre-Saw, my attempts at Mitre-Joints were decidedly agricultural.

So I'm looking for something "ready made".
(If I end up needing some more cabinet work done, I can ask a cabinet maker to knock something up, but I'm not getting in a professional just to do a trim.

I'm surprised that something isn't available on ebay (given the abundance of useless junk) but so so far my googling has failed me.

Best I can think of to date is maybe a picture frame (if I could find one the right size) but that may be too thick.

(Please move to a more appropriate board if required)
Does it have an exhaust opening, or heat outlet in its enclosure, I have a 25mm gap around mine and 50mm on top, I am assuming it can "breathe" properly?

Good luck with it, Regards Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2022, 05:19 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

What dimensions? There are some cheaper ones online that vented even https://www.amazon.com.au/Emuca-8934...%2C317&sr=8-15 Don't get hung up about using mitre joints; butt joints can sometimes suit this application better. I used mitered corners with polished stainless first on my double oven (and I have a drop saw with a metal cutting blade that makes good mitre joints) but decided that butt joins and fluted aluminium strips (this stuff) looked better in our home/country style kitchen against the brickwork per attached. Even tight flush butt joints just looked wrong; too sleek and modern compared to everything else. In a modern look kitchen and with stainless appliances it would have been OK no doubt. I also tried a wooden (Jarrah look) surround after the polished stainless with mitered corners but that didn't look right either. Getting a surround that matched the style of the rest of the kitchen can be harder than you think. Note you may find as I did at the bottom of this oven, you still need to leave a 5mm gap or the door hinge will not be able to open. I also made a air gap grill at the top with a strip of stainless gutter-guard (not that clear in this picture) . Not the most flattering picture of it but you lose a lot resizing so it can be uploaded as an attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ovensurroundsmall.jpg (67.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by aussiblue; 31-01-2022 at 05:33 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2022, 03:20 PM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
What dimensions? There are some cheaper ones online that vented even https://www.amazon.com.au/Emuca-8934...%2C317&sr=8-15
Thanks, I hadn't seen that before.

Unfortunately this is a bigass unit. It is 560mm wide by 450mm tall
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2022, 03:30 PM   #11
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My current thinking is to just pick up a sheet of something cheap, like 3mm melamine MDF ($10), re-cut the openings, and glue that to the existing cabinetry. (although the exposed edges might be a bit uggo, so might go for a thicker piece with edges.)
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post