Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
AUIIForte

Thumbs down Rear noise problem

Hay hay!

Recently I've had problems with my stock sound system, but things are all sorted out now and everything is working fine because of the help of a few very nice and helpful people here who where willing to help me out!

Well, now I have another problem.

As I was driving down a road in wet conditions (my rear tyre tread was low on both wheels) I came up to a roundabout with a very sharp curve through the whole turn if you wanted to go straight (which I did), as soon as I was half way through the roundabout there was a P plater in a VN drifting around the turn coming up behind me from the right. He lost control and started to slide right towards me uncontrollably and pretty fast, so the only thing I could do to avoid any accident was to speed up. I did speed up and in the end I did avoid him crashing into me, but as I sped up, my tyres lost traction after about 5 meters of driving and the back of my car slid out to the left onto the dirt that was right next to the road. There was a gutter and my BACK LEFT TYRE hit that and bounced up onto the side of the road...

So thats ok, nobody is hurt and the guy in the VN was pretty damn apologetic, he also went off the road and bounced over the small gutter onto the side of the road.

Blah blah, cut to what my problem is... Now as I drive, when I'm going above about 30km/h I hear a squeak on the back left side of my car, and as I speed up and travel at higher speeds, the squeak speeds up like "squeak.squeak.squeak.squeak" from "squeak...........squeak.............squeak".

My original thought was that there must be something wrong with the suspensions or shocks because if I applied the brakes and the weight of momentum was transfered to the front of the car (back of car rising slightly), the squeaking would stop, and as soon as I let go of the breaks, the squeak would come back!.

I took the left rear wheel off to inspect everything, but nothing seems out of place. As i'm not very good with identifying things that a wrong because I am inexperienced I was hoping for some advice to what to look for? If you like, I can take photos with the tyre off or on just to maybe help?

Thank you!

AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

possible that the force of the collision has damaged the wheel bearing is my first guess. im guessing that the handeling hasnt changed as you didnt mention anything other then the squeak, so im going to assume that the rim hasnt buckeled at all. you would feel shuddering as if your tyres needed to be balanced. so i would get the wheel bearings checked first.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that squeaking could also be the handbrake, the knock may have dislodged the brake shoes enough to make them rub on the disc...the other thing i can think of is it may have warped the disc itself, ie when you brake the pads touch the disc and don't squeak, when they are off it rubs on the pads unevenly....just a thought
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 11:42 PM   #4
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MMM, I'm thinking it is the hub cap (you have a forte right?) If you have, leave it off and go for a drive. I had this issue with a Mazda years ago. Obviously if you have mags I'm way off the mark!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
AUIIForte

hehe ddarby, I don't wear hubcaps on my car at all!
I will check the wheel bearings like as2sw said, and try get it fixed.

And yes, the handling has not been changed what so ever. I dont feel the slightest difference in Handling or Breaking, its just a squeak squeak...

Im going to check everything again now that I have something to look for! Thank you so much guys!

I'll keep you posted. If there are any other people who might have a clue to what it may be, it would be still of great help!
Old 14-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
AUIIForte

Sorry, I forgot to mention, if it does have something to do with the wheel bearings, is it going to be dangerous to drive? Also how much fixing would there be required lol!

Peace
Old 14-06-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
Umineko
Karasu

No a damaged wheel bearing won't be dangerous to drive, worst case senario the bearing siezes and you either break an axle or you just don't go anywhere... wheel bearings don't usually squeak in my experiance, more often you'll get a dull rythmic rumbling noise. also normal braking shouldn't really impact on the noise (not on disk brake cars anyway, drums are a different story) I'd suspect that your hanbrake is the likely culprit, try driving normally and while the squeaking is happening hold in the handbrake button and gently lift the handle and see if it stops as the shoes center in the drum, if it stops then the hanbrake is the first place to start looking
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My bet would be the handbrake as well. Darn annoying they are!

Try looking at these, they may be of assistance to you.

Rear Rotor and Pads Change
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...5&postcount=54

Filing the handbrake shoes
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...2&postcount=68

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umineko
No a damaged wheel bearing won't be dangerous to drive, worst case senario the bearing siezes and you either break an axle or you just don't go anywhere... wheel bearings don't usually squeak in my experiance, more often you'll get a dull rythmic rumbling noise. also normal braking shouldn't really impact on the noise (not on disk brake cars anyway, drums are a different story) I'd suspect that your hanbrake is the likely culprit, try driving normally and while the squeaking is happening hold in the handbrake button and gently lift the handle and see if it stops as the shoes center in the drum, if it stops then the hanbrake is the first place to start looking
wheer bearing leting go not dangerous ???: i remember years ago as an apprentice driving the HQ van (yes I know a crappy holden and showing my age too) driving along then bang the van started turning then stoped dead as my rear wheel and axle went past me and ended up in someones yard. Just glad i wasn't going any faster. i feel your problem is most likely to be a warped disk or maybe even a bent calliper or mount seeing as the noise stops when you brake this is easier to diagnose on the front as you feel it through the steering but on the rear it isn't as obvious. also i'd be asking the driver of the crummydore to pay for the repairs he caused the accident by not driving to the conditions

good luck
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #10
Umineko
Karasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
wheer bearing leting go not dangerous ???: i remember years ago as an apprentice driving the HQ van (yes I know a crappy holden and showing my age too) driving along then bang the van started turning then stoped dead as my rear wheel and axle went past me and ended up in someones yard.
If the whole Axle and wheel came out of the Diff housing I suspect there was more to the problem than just the bearing, even on HQ's the bearing retainer plates were reasonably substantial things held in with at least 4 bolts, if the bearing dissintegrated yeah it could happen but it must have been noisey as all hell for a long time to get to that stage
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2007, 02:03 AM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umineko
If the whole Axle and wheel came out of the Diff housing I suspect there was more to the problem than just the bearing, even on HQ's the bearing retainer plates were reasonably substantial things held in with at least 4 bolts, if the bearing dissintegrated yeah it could happen but it must have been noisey as all hell for a long time to get to that stage
from what i remember (it was 30 years ago after all) there wasn't much of a noise was driving fine and just bang but the boss used to load the poor thing up so it was carrying far more than was intended
Old 15-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
AUIIForte

Hey I've got some more news.. Now when I'm braking, I can feel shudders in the foot pedal, and my car doesn't slow down smoothly, instead it slows down like its shuddering.

The best way I can explain it is that it slows then shudder, slows more then shudder, slows more then shudder.... hehe sorry thats the best I can do.

Do you guys think its got something to do with the actual brake on my left rear wheel? If so, how much would a replacement cost, or instead, I would just love to upgrade all my brakes at the same time if I have to get them fixed or changed.

Oh, and I checked axle thoroughly and its not bent anywhere... Is there anything else I should check or get replaced? At the moment, I really think the problem is lying in the whole brake system, and the wheel, not too sure what its actually called, but the wheel that the pads slow down when braking.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Old 15-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the shudder confirms a warped disk