Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #526
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The battery just died in mine. Racq sold century and its just over 2 years old. Out of warranty by 3 months. Bloke told me i dont drive enough!!! 9500 ks a year. I would not ever buy a century again, gave me the run around big time when i asked the question.
Toss pots

AZZA
Old 14-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #527
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

9500 a year!! That's bugger all
I know of alot of weekender type cars get flat batteries as the cells don't get charged etc and die
Old 07-06-2010, 06:45 PM   #528
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
9500 a year!! That's bugger all
I know of alot of weekender type cars get flat batteries as the cells don't get charged etc and die
Yep, don't blame the battery. Particularly if you use the lights, wipers etc, the car never get a chance to charge the battery up to full. Takes many hours of driving to charge up the battery properly. azza, invest in a trickle charger, one that you can leave connected to the battery all the time. They use bugger all electricity, cost about $90, and will make your battery last for many years.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #529
jaym
I Wish I Was A Post Whore

I've owned mine for almost 2 years and only done 4000 ;)

XR8 On 20s W00T W00T
www.aufalcon.com/jaysxr8
jaym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #530
AngusMcKinnon
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon Turbo
i think for key reprgamming is put key in ignition, turn to accessories, press the demister button 3 time in quickly, then the system cycles, doors lock etc.. and that's it from memory??
Thats for keypad - I did it yesterday.

Key is put original in turn to pos I, pull out, put second key in and turn to II. Something like that. I could look up manual if needed.
AngusMcKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #531
Bobman
Regulator

Just got an AUIII Futura. Have owned an AU1 and AU2 Forte 5 years ago as well.

I've also worked in the taxi industry from 1999-2006 and spent many hours inside/outside AUs, as well as working on them.

With the one I just picked up, I've had to replace the timing chain tensioner o-ring and fix the window switches. I also replaced the steering wheel with a leather XR one as the standard types commonly wear away to nothing. The keypad battery connector commonly falls out as well, so my fix was to put a small rubber seal between the pad cover and battery. Problem solved. S5 solenoid needs replacing but apart from that it's actually quite a nice car to drive considering it has 343,xxx kms on the odometer.

These cars go forever.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #532
mercury39

[QUOTE=Racecraft]Item:- Front Power Windows

Item:- Front Window switches
Problems:- window won't go up or down occasionally, or switch will not reset itself to neutral.

Not quite sure if this is where I need to be, but 1st thank you very much to those who shared their power window problems and fixes, you saved me a lot of hard work and possible unecessary expense, my AU futura would not wind up the LHF window, only done 43,000 kms, so having the LHF door trim stripped down and just about to try and remove the motor / regulator, which almost seemed impossible as the glass was bottomed, and seemed impossible to get up without more dismantling, looking around this forum found the solution, I removed the switch LHF, cleaned the contacts, which had a light brown stain, all non smokers in this car, smokers either don't smoke or they walk, anyway sprayed CRC into it, not attempted dismantling, but still no go, removed the switch from RHF drivers side window, did the same procedure, and great joy every thing was back to normal, all windows wound up or down no problem, it must be the RHF was the one that had resistance somewhere, and wasn't feeding power to the LHF side, so thanks again everyone.
mercury39 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #533
wagonwheels
Starter Motor

Guys anyone know how i get to the drivers side rear seat belt as it wont retract. Its in my au 99 model
Cheers
wagonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #534
pmannau
Starter Motor

Default that's when the trouble started

well I've got an AU 2 tradesman ute 11/2001 and I was pretty happy with it, I had even got over the poor fuel economy but thats when the trouble started....
the roof lining started falling off $120.00 easy and fairly cheap, exhaust section between cat and muffler $140.00 not too bad, air con started cutting in and out and temp gauge started cutting in and out and then all of the dash instruments ARRRR still not fixed, sprayed electrical connections with some crc worked for a month or so but still a problem. started getting hot in town, got the radiator and engine flushed and replaced thermostat, $300 wife started getting cranky (this car is costing us a fortune) found red oil in coolant!!! common problem for automatics!!! apparently the auto trans fluid runs through the radiator and they corrode putting coolant in the trans (sometimes) and/or trans fluid in the coolant, killing the transmission luckily I was only up for $520.00 for the radiator and the trans has been ok, harmonic balancer and 180K service $550.00
so all up in the last 12 months $1630.00 and I still have and electrical, over heating and air con problem ARRRRRRR they might all be related so I am going to check the thermo fans today I think the over heating might be that I have lost the low speed thermo fan the temp gauge still sits between N and O on normal but it smells hot (can smell coolant and it feels a lot hotter than it should) in diagnostic it says 92 deg which sounds normal from what I read on the forums but any help would be appreciated.
pmannau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #535
deeppocket

Default My probs with the Au2

Looks like most AU problems are here. Mine over the last 5 years. AU2 2000 Wagon.
Valve regression- New head $1500.
Door actuators (2) $120
Speakers( seperated(2) ebay $15
Rear g/box seal $80
Front rotors New $220. maching X 2 $80
Hand brake looses adjustment quickly.

An odd fault ## passenger door windows rattle down(always check before car wash)
deeppocket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #536
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Front rotors would be a wear and tear problem

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #537
Buzz0003
Starter Motor

My problem started only the other day, the LCD display on the dash cluster (Trip meter, Odometer, ECT) doesn't light up.
I've replaced both bulbs and checked all fuses,they seem fine as far as I can tell.
Also I have noticed that now I dont get the DTE audible warning, I am assuming that the two are related.

Has anybody had this problem before if so how did you fix it?
Buzz0003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #538
george7

Did the production of the series III get rid of most of these common problems with the SI and II
george7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2010, 01:51 AM   #539
urbancowboy

wagon wheels, Buy a new seat belt, you wont be allowed by law to repair it and a second hand one really isnt a smart move! Would you put a second hand seat belt on your drivers seat? i doubt it!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #540
wagonwheels
Starter Motor

Finally sorted the seat belt. Now the problem is when i turn the engine off and pull the key out, the orange light is on in the air recirculating switch, the one that lets in air or just recirculates in on the dash beside the fan speed nob draining the battery. If i turn the speed nob on it turns the orange light off. Anyone had this happen before
cheers
wagonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #541
schrammy
Starter Motor

Default te50 Window wont work

Hey guys

My passanger window wont go up, it went down now it wont work? thought it may be the switch as this is a problem but i cant put it up with the driver controls either?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Ben
schrammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #542
lohnro
lohnro

If neither switch will move the window it is probably the motor. I have replaced mine. You have to buy the whole assembly from a second hand parts place. Not expensive considering what it does. It is tricky to remove and install but not hard. Good idea to lubricate the runners with silicon spray to ease the tension on the motor. Good luck
lohnro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #543
Skeg37

Default Park brake light fading

My park brake light is fading on and off while idling. I know the handbrake needs adjusting and probably due for a new set of pads, could this be the problem.
Skeg37 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #544
lohnro
lohnro

I reckon the switch under the foot pedal needs changing. There is nothing else in the circuit that will make it intermittent.
lohnro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #545
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by george7
Did the production of the series III get rid of most of these common problems with the SI and II
Also qurious if this is the case.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #546
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeg37
My park brake light is fading on and off while idling. I know the handbrake needs adjusting and probably due for a new set of pads, could this be the problem.
The park brake switch (located on the lever) is wired directly to earth near the lever. Probably either the earth is bad, or the switch itself has bad/dirty contacts.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #547
shayne93
66 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tags84
mate this happened to me 3 times in my EL that i owned for 12months! then i got my AU and 2 months later it happened in that so i bought 2 switches....... and a bloody of a thing to change, upside down the the foot well lol
I've done 2 in 2 Au's your dead right, dog of a job!
shayne93 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #548
BJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Drivers door lock on AU3. Sometimes it will lock with the key, others it refuses to lock. Up down, back and forwards, sometimes it works sometimes it won't. Are the door lock actuators a common problem. Fix? Cost?

The remote isn't working either.
BJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #549
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Common ... If buying new ... you need to get a B-series actuator ... with an AU jump-loom separate.

can get them from wreckers for cheaper ... but it could fail the next day ... or last for years.

New price from Ford about $130-ish
Used price ... not sure. Ask FTG Autosalvage (site sponsor) ... the guys will be able to help you out.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #550
Swedishmoose

Hi there,

I was wondering if it is normal that I can just pull the automatic gear lever from "neutral" into "drive" and from "drive" into "3" without pressing the button.

I have to use the release button to put the lever from "neutral" into "reverse" and from "3" to "2" and from "2" to "1" which makes sense to me.

And another small thing...

is it normal that only the driver"s sun visor mirror has a sliding cover and the sun visor on the passenger side has just got a plain mirror without a sliding cover ?

thanks for any information

cheers

The Moose
Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post