Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Water Rights - Non Urban

A friend was asking me about this the other day, I have no idea on the “lay of the land”. With respect to non-urban areas:

If you discover a previously unknown groundwater source on your own property (eg, an aquifer), do you have anything beyond riparian rights; can you pipe it to another or sell/lease the right to do this?

Similarly, if you have a mining lease and find new groundwater, does your lease confer any rights to this asset?

All the information I could find, related to trading or transfer of entitlements in known water assets - obviously a busy market at present.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Water Rights - Non Urban

I know of a farmer up in Stanley (7km from Beechworth) reselling his found spring water on, to a bottling plant in Melbourne.
I recall all the Beechworth townies are up in arms saying he is selling their water but most of Beechworth's water is supplied from the other direction and further up a different mountain. From memory I think he was after selling rights, something to do with Coke/Amital

The farmer I do work for out at Bungeet, wastes at his guess, 50 000 litres a day running from a spring at the back of his property.
He recently converted an ex milk tanker to supply water to other farms in his area who aren't quite so lucky to have a running spring.

Most farms around Springhurst make good use of the natural running springs that surround the town and supplying others without water on their farms.

Legality ???..... no one really cares as they all need it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Wish I was so lucky! Good that wastage is being noticed and quantified. Yes, it’s a larger quantity type of potential situation.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Fills that 40ft tanker in no time, problem is some others around Bungeet don't care for spring water. Tastes beaut, I fill a few water tanks when I'm working there.

Property on the Beechworth-Wang Rd has a self filling 130year old well that has never gone dry according to the generation family living there.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post