Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
superyob
Banned

Default Strat Squier

Anyone out there play a Strat Squier, Affinity or Bullet or even Classic Vibe series? Are they good guitars or just cheap rubbish? I am considering an Affinity model with 3 single coils. Any feedback appreciated. I would buy a Fender Strat but my playing ability would not do it justice, or am I looking at it the wrong way?

superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Strat Squier

Ive played them many times & they're fine, use it to learn your chops (flog it lol) then upgrade if need be. Just play a couple & buy the one that feels & looks the best.

If you dont go banging on the whammy bar all the time it will stay in tune for a lot longer - plus there are setup guides out there to help you get the best out of your fender strat / squires / copies.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought one recently. Great guitar. I'm trying to get back into playing again after many many years lapse.

Has a great feel to it, and while a "budget" model, it's still a Fender...and probably the only Stratocaster that most "normal" people will ever own without going way into debt...

There are good forums online to look up about these guitars and they seem to have great reviews. There are also different "standards" depending on where it's made. Mine was picked up, with amp and gig bag, very cheap off a Facebook buy sell and trade page, and it's luckily one of the solid wood ones instead of laminated.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Send a PM to russellw, he's got about 12 Geetars at last count
Old 27-04-2014, 04:50 AM   #5
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they are dreadful but there are much worse, not horrible for your first guitar but it's a better idea to get a real guitar when starting out as those cheaper models are literally bad enough to stop you from playing, they don't play/respond the same at all it's like a completely different instrument. For $300-$400 or less you can get a vintage 1980's squire MIJ strat and these are immensely better than modern squires and they're a lot better than the mexican fenders too which would be your next choice at $400-$700, then the Americans which are over 2k.

Pick of the bunch by far are the Fender Made in Japan (MIJ) strats/tele's from the 1980's (1985 in particular) which surpassed the quality of the American fenders even back then, in the early 90's the quality eventually got marginally better than the Americans whom were going bankrupt so instead of further refining the perfect strat they chose to shut down the japan plant with the intention of a new lower quality pant in mexico that wouldn't undermine the American plant. I'd suggest skip the squire and at least get a Mexican fender for your first guitar, but try and find a squire/fender MIJ vintage, they are professional grade guitars, the fender MIJ is better than anything fender put out these days bar the custom shop models.

Cheap guitars just aren't worth it, the saddles will burr and you'll snap strings, it will never be in tune, ever, because the intonation can never be properly adjusted, because the cheap plastic nut has an inch gap from the fretboard until it cracks, because the neck is warped, it'll sound crap, it'll play crap, don't even mention the pickups, it will be in desperate need of a setup as well (essential). A mexican fender has very good body wood, mediocre neck, sufficient tuners, sufficient nut, mediocre bridge and bad pickups. Swap the pickups out and they're a pretty good guitar in general and could almost be used professionally (and are by many).
Old 27-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Illavitar, your info is very correct, just wondering have you played them at all cause sorry they are not that bad!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 27-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #7
superyob
Banned

This isn't my first guitar, I have been playing a Les Paul for years. I think I just wanted to try something different without having to spend much money and then finding out I don't like it.
Many of the reviews I've read seem to indicate that they are at least a competent guitar for the money you pay. I had a play around with a couple of models at the Music Spot yesterday and truly sucked at it. The necks are so different to my Les Paul (I am in awe of those who can pick up any guitar and play it competently).
Is the cheapest Fender better than the dearest Squier?
Old 27-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Just had a quick google -

http://www.cheapguitarguide.com/squi...der-strat.html

cheers, Maka

Old 27-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
superyob
Banned

Thanks for that Maka, a Classic Vibe strat may be worth a look...
Old 27-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
CJR09
RPO 77

I am not sure i would bother with the sqier series - there are so many better and cheaper gats that can be had instead of - do not overlook Ibanez, many of the 80/90's ibbys are good value and you will pay less than what you would for any squire - and they are sooo easy to play - for years my main gats were a rg ibby and a les paul and I was able to chop and change between the two very comfortably - admittedly I was using the two for very diff purposes - the ibby for punk/metal and the lp for trad rock/blues

My mainstay gat these days of all things is an Ibanez EX series (late 80's RG proto/experimental) that I have modified running a single h/bucking seymour duncan in the bridge, blocked bridge/trem and bypassed tone

The beauty of the Ibanez is generally you get a much more versatile gat with quality being better than many of the lower end premium brands

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #11
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

It all depends on what style of music you are playing. Anybody can say "get this" or "that" 'because its awesome'... Are you doing covers, are you playing for fun, are you writing your own music? PM me
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #12
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
I am not sure i would bother with the sqier series - there are so many better and cheaper gats that can be had instead of - do not overlook Ibanez, many of the 80/90's ibbys are good value and you will pay less than what you would for any squire - and they are sooo easy to play - for years my main gats were a rg ibby and a les paul and I was able to chop and change between the two very comfortably - admittedly I was using the two for very diff purposes - the ibby for punk/metal and the lp for trad rock/blues

My mainstay gat these days of all things is an Ibanez EX series (late 80's RG proto/experimental) that I have modified running a single h/bucking seymour duncan in the bridge, blocked bridge/trem and bypassed tone

The beauty of the Ibanez is generally you get a much more versatile gat with quality being better than many of the lower end premium brands
Unfortunately, and this may be to my detriment, I am very conservative when it comes to guitars and Ibanez and Yamaha probably make fine guitars but I am unable to go beyond the Les Paul or Strat type of guitar...
Old 27-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Nothing wrong at all with "superstrat" type yammy pacifica's, ibenez rg's & washburn's ect You can play heaps more stuff with them, just depends if you want a floyd rose setup or a standard tremolo, your a lead player or rythym player, song material etc.

cheers, Maka

Old 28-04-2014, 04:00 AM   #14
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

They're fine as a beginner guitar, not good but not bad.

What style do you plan to use it for? This is probably the most important question to ask yourself.
Also what tone are you hunting for?
Old 28-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #15
zdcol71
zdcol71

Just as an aside, I would suggest people research what some of the great guitarists owned as a first guitar, or learned to play on...Surprises me to hear that "cheap copies or Squiers etc are not good to learn on or have as a first guitar...
If you're already playing superyob, I would suggest ,for the price, there is nothing wrong with any Squier.
Old 28-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #16
superyob
Banned

I mainly play 60s and 70s rock, metal, blues and pop. I use the bridge humbucker with a fair amount of gain. I guess a Squier would allow me to dabble with single coil tones without paying for a Fender...
Old 28-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #17
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing wrong with a squire at all for the price of them. For years i wouldn't even consider one because every one ragged on them. Then when looking in a local music shop for a new guitar the guy running the shop hands me a squire delux with the hot rails pickups and tells me to have a go of it says ill be surprised, I laughed him off but guess what I walked out of that shop with it, it played so well I didn't even like the looks of the thing I brought it because of the way it played.

I think they get a bad wrap because most beginners start with them. Anyway let your playing do the talking, who would you rather listen too playing guitar satriani playing a squire or lady gaga playing a top line gibson ???

anyway i have rambled on enough
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2014, 04:04 PM   #18
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Sounds like a strat copy (I second an 80's Ibanez) would be a great addition to your collection. I also play metal, blues and rock but only have guitars with humbuckers atm and also need a single coil guitar.
Old 29-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #19
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you buy a decent guitar you'll never look back, I got a US Fender Strat '57 reissue from the 90's and guess what, 20+ years on it is still as solid and stays in tune like the day I bought it.

I paid over $2,500 back then and the quality has outlasted and surpassed my memory of dropping that much coin on it.

My young son has now started playing, I bought him a Squire and it is the biggest piece of ***** and has never been in tune for more than 10 minutes. So he is paying his dues on an acoustic before he gets my Strat.

The Squire (AKA cricket bat) is going back to the shop under it's 12 month warranty. I reckon a combination of intonation and neck warp. If it doesn't keep tune when the warranty is up I'll demand my cash back.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #20
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're just awful!! If it can't hold tune and be setup properly with true intonation then it's not a guitar I'm sorry!! Then there's warped necks, fret/nut buzz and dead notes, never mind plugging them in ensure to play it unplugged otherwise the clean channel will sound like SBS or CH31 on rabbit ears. Does the guitar have to be brand new? For $400 you could get a nice vintage MIJ squire or a mexican fender off ebay/melband, I've heard the squire badge on the 80's japanese ones is a laugh, not just good guitars, but ridiculously good guitars. A budget guitar with the squire badge that many would argue are better than the current line of American fenders.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 29-04-2014 at 10:55 PM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #21
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go on harmonycentral.com it's an excellent site with accurate reviews, if you want to buy a new squier there a few models (affinity and so on) some are much worse than others (particularly body/neck woods) so make sure to get the pick of the bunch (and play it first!! don't buy it in the box). Lucky I opened my mexican fender in the shop or they said they wouldn't have swapped it over, the wood was physically marked in one place and when they sent it back to the US it was confirmed the entire guitar was ****** the neck was confirmed to be warped too and the woods also climate damaged... so always good to check first lol.

If you bought the right squier, later upgraded the pickups/pots/tuners and put it into a reputable music shop for a professional setup (and get them to block the bridge with dense wood and also add a bone nut) it would be a pretty nifty little guitar I reckon.
Old 30-04-2014, 04:46 AM   #22
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

The best electric guitar I ever had was a $400 Epiphone SG which I fitted EMGs to, so don't overlook the 'budget' model guitars. I suggest going to a guitar shop and plugging them in. Give a bunch of cheaper guitars a play and you're sure to find one you like, it's the only true test imo.

...sadly that amazing SG now sits in my room snapped in two by somebody else and it's replacement just isn't the same.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #23
superyob
Banned

After test driving both the Squier and the Mexican Strat, I finally settled on a classic vibe strat (Squier) and bought it today. I actually liked it better than the MIM strat although both were in my price range...

The Squier will feel the wrath of my incompetence today!!!
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #24
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Well done superyob, we'll give you a week & then we want a review on your new Squire! Hope you find its all & more of what you expected, please enjoy!

cheers, Maka

Old 03-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #25
QLD-Bluey
True Blue

I have a Classic Vibe and love the feel and sound. For the price you cant go wrong, plus you can upgrade the pick-ups to something like some Fender Tex-Mex to get that classic strat sound for bugger all cost. Nothing wrong with the original pick-ups though. A mate has both and Affinity and a Bullet and they suffer a bit of strange abnormal feedback (screeching) when turned up bit!!
QLD-Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
After test driving both the Squier and the Mexican Strat, I finally settled on a classic vibe strat (Squier) and bought it today. I actually liked it better than the MIM strat although both were in my price range...

The Squier will feel the wrath of my incompetence today!!!
Good on ya. The logo on the headstock doesnt matter - how it plays and sounds does.

FWIW I would have recommended an Ibanez RG or S.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #27
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Well done superyob, we'll give you a week & then we want a review on your new Squire! Hope you find its all & more of what you expected, please enjoy!

cheers, Maka
Done!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #28
superyob
Banned

I must say that I am quite impressed with my Squier! I think I made the right choice in choosing it over the Mexican Strat. It sounds great. I cannot envisage having to upgrade the single coils because they sound like a Strat should. The guitar stays in tune and is extremely playable. The finish is beautiful and if it has any faults, I have not found them yet...Anyone who rubbishes this guitar because the name Squier is on the headstock should really pick one up and play it. There is a huge difference between the Classic Vibes and the Bullets or Affinity Squiers.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #29
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Glad to see your impressed with your new Classic Vibe Squire, riff out & enjoy!

cheers, Maka

Old 28-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #30
superyob
Banned

Oh lordy, bad things are happening! My Les Paul lays unloved in its dark coffin, patiently waiting for me to shine the light of day on it. Its twin humbuckers are silent while the house reverberates to the sound of, (I can scarcely bring myself to say it), a Stratocaster neck single coil with no, nicht, nada overdrive or distortion. Yes that's right, its a clean tone... I also enjoy the seductive tone of the neck and middle pick ups together.

I'm having a lot of trouble explaining this to myself!

Last edited by superyob; 28-03-2015 at 12:38 PM.
2 users like this post: