Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 21-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
cattitude

Default Rear Fog Lamps - please explain

Im loving my new Mondeo MB Titanium Hatch but the so called rear fog lamp switch has got me puzzled.

The users manual hanbook says on page 48 that the little button/switch to the right of the headlights is for the rear fog lamps (the little one to the left is for the front, works great)
I have pushed them on and tried to figure them out but I just dont get it.
nothing lights up at the back at least nothing I can see, no change in lights inside the car ect.

Can someone please explain the mystery to me.

cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Re: Rear Fog Lamps - please explain

Hey mate

You have to have your parker, or your headlights, turned on. As far as I know, if the switch is on "Auto" for your headlights, but they're not on as its not dark enough, they won't come on.

The one on the right is for the rear foglights.

I've attached a photo just of the rear light of my car with the section that the foglight is in circled.

You won't notice a change in the car at all except a little logo light pop up on your dash telling you they're on.

One final note: these things are bright, and almost eye level to the car behind you. Please, do NOT drive with them on unless there is fog thick enough to warrant it - the amount of cars I have followed with rear foglights blinding me for no apparent reason lately has been terrible, to the point I want to get out and kick the next rear foglight in - especially on those bubble Hyundai Excels. Also, check the legalities of using foglights in your jurisdiction.

EDIT: Sorry, just read the part about yours being an MB, so the actual foglight may be in a different place if you have the earlier tail lights compared to mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FireflyFoglight.jpg (36.0 KB, 61 views)
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
KIWI-1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Please, do NOT drive with them on unless there is fog thick enough to warrant it - the amount of cars I have followed with rear foglights blinding me for no apparent reason lately has been terrible, to the point I want to get out and kick the next rear foglight in - especially on those bubble Hyundai Excels.
Agreed. Aparently Hyundai Excel drivers turn them off when they get an oil change.
KIWI-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
cattitude

taa thanks a heap, totally understand now.
I am in a heavily foggy area in winter, cant see more than 5mts in front on some mornings so the rear fogs will be very helpful as well.
Cant understand these dills who drive with fog lights on when not needed, bit like those who drive on a brake!!!
Old 21-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
smally289
growing up is optional

The inappropriate use of front or rear fog lights annoys me big time.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
wusyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
The inappropriate use of front or rear fog lights annoys me big time.
The inappropriate use of front fog light annoys me too. At night, each car has 4 lights starring at me - too much glare.
Old 21-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
KIWI-1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Using fog lights
Front fog lights are designed to better illuminate the road in fog, snowfall, rainstorms or dust clouds. They can be recognised by the narrow pattern of light emitted.Road Rule 217 states that drivers must not use front or rear fog lights unless driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions that cause reduced visibility.
Fog lights cannot be accidentally switched on. They must be switched on separate from the main and dipped beam head lights.

Using driving lights
Driving lights are designed to illuminate the road over a long distance. They are the same as the high beam (main beam) head light and emit the same lighting pattern.

Road Rule 218 states that drivers must not use the high-beam headlights when driving:
  • less than 200 metres behind a vehicle travelling in the same direction
  • less than 200 metres from an oncoming vehicle.
Driving lights cannot be accidentally switched on. They can only be switched on and off with the high beam head lights.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...vingLights.htm
KIWI-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #8
whitetdci

nsw
218–1 NSW rule: using lights on vehicles generally(cf RRR, cl 55)
The driver of a vehicle must not:(a) use any fog light fitted to the vehicle unless the driver is driving in fog, mist or under other atmospheric conditions that restrict visibility.
219 Lights not to be used to dazzle other road usersA driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver’s vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user.
Police in NSW will book you if you have your fog lights on. I have been pulled over on the way to the snow near Cooma for having them on. I had been driving through heavy fog earlier and had forgotten to turn them off. The Police officer, who was more than fair, gave me a caution, after I had passed the "attitude test" and licence had been checked. Treat them with respect, they are trying to keep us safe after all.
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
whitetdci

PS I would seriously like a paintball type gun with opaque material in the balls mounted under the bonnet and aimable so that I can blot out all those horrible annoying Hyundai fog lights!! Sooooooooo annoying!!
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wusyc
The inappropriate use of front fog light annoys me too. At night, each car has 4 lights starring at me - too much glare.
If it is raining, and you include the reflection off the road - you have 8 lights hitting you !

Why do people insist on blinding the guy who is aiming a tonne of car just 60 cm from them ?
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #11
wusyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
If it is raining, and you include the reflection off the road - you have 8 lights hitting you !

Why do people insist on blinding the guy who is aiming a tonne of car just 60 cm from them ?
Those people must think that their cars look cool with the front fog lights on.
Old 26-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

To the OP - did you get your rear foglights working?
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 26-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetdci
nsw
218–1 NSW rule: using lights on vehicles generally(cf RRR, cl 55)
The driver of a vehicle must not:(a) use any fog light fitted to the vehicle unless the driver is driving in fog, mist or under other atmospheric conditions that restrict visibility.
219 Lights not to be used to dazzle other road usersA driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or in the driver’s vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to dazzle, another road user.
Police in NSW will book you if you have your fog lights on. I have been pulled over on the way to the snow near Cooma for having them on. I had been driving through heavy fog earlier and had forgotten to turn them off. The Police officer, who was more than fair, gave me a caution, after I had passed the "attitude test" and licence had been checked. Treat them with respect, they are trying to keep us safe after all.
This thread isn't about the law it's about getting the foglight working thanks, end of story.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
marcusturbo

Hopefully the pics make some sense without too much explanation.

Dash, top light = Headlights on
Next green = Front fog lights
Amber/Orange = Rear fog lights

Rear pics, hopefully show where the rear fog lights are located, very inside light.

Reflection hopefully shows what they look like, *********** bright if you are a following car behind and the visibility is fine.

Hope this help clear things up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC11719.jpg (67.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11720.jpg (64.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11722.jpg (46.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11723.jpg (48.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg SDC11724.jpg (49.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 30-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
cattitude

thanks all, this info has been very helpful and more so that i could not check if the rear fog lights were working or not, no garage door, no one to check for me.
the rear fog lights are working and I am sure with this winter in NSWs west they will be used occasionally.
Old 30-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

These cars can be a bit daunting, so many switches and buttons, I'll admit I had to read the book a couple of times before I worked things out. Was glad that the salesperson was able to run through some of the stuff on delivery for me or I would have had to read it four times!
Quote: