Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 20-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Canyonero
Wow, this is roomy!

Default Proud new owner

I picked up my Mondeo MC Zetec EcoBoost Hatch earlier this week and I am really enjoying the drive. It is a little different to the Territory I have had for the last 5-1/2 years and I suppose I'll start cursing those ^#*&^%# SUVs when I can't see around them! Marge will be using the Territory as her daily drive now, so we are keeping it in the family.

The Mondeo is a marvellous piece of engineering and with the drive away pricing and cash back that Ford are offering this month it is sensational value for $33K. The equipment, room, performance and technology is as good as many supposedly premium brands.

I have a couple of questions that I'm sure the collective wisdom in this forum can answer for me.

1 - The manual and brochure says it has a perimeter alarm fitted, but is pretty light on details of what version is actually fitted and if it has any of the variety of settings available. Any more information available?
2 -The tyres are Goodyear Efficientgrip 215/50-17 95W. The local Goodyear website doesn't list any tyres that size with the same speed and weight ratings. Hopefully I won't need tyres for a long while, but are they available or what other quality tyres have people used?
3 - I'm not a fan of space saver tyres as I do a bit of country driving and I may look at replacing it with a standard road wheel. I realise that I'll have to put some spacers under the boot carpet to raise it, but can anyone confirm that the 16" or 17" road wheels will fit within the wheel well?
4 - The sound system is certainly much better than the "Premium" unit fitted to the Territory but for the life of me I can't find the sub-woofer. Where is it?
5 - I enjoy chatting to the voice control lady, but I feel that she needs a name. I'm thinking of something suitable for an upper class and refined English lady. Any suggestions?

I found that in the Territory forum any question could be answered and I am confident the same will apply here. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Regards,
Canyonero.

MINE: Escape ZG Trend 2.0L EcoBoost AWD, Magnetic with Technology Pack, Power Tailgate and Keyless Entry

SWMBO: "The Canyonero" Territory SY TS AWD, 7 seats, Mercury Silver (Now gone to a new home, Feb 2024)
Canyonero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
whitetdci

Default Re: Proud new owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonero

2 -The tyres are Goodyear Efficientgrip 215/50-17 95W. The local Goodyear website doesn't list any tyres that size with the same speed and weight ratings. Hopefully I won't need tyres for a long while, but are they available or what other quality tyres have people used?
OEM tyres IMHO are generally overpriced and over rated. I guess you have to weigh what criteria you want out of a tyre. For my money I always go with a performance wet weather tyre as the rubber in the tyre goes off and hardens after around 2 years and you lose grip. You can improve your wet weather braking incredibly by choosing a tyre like this. Bang for your buck, I have had great results out of the Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra. We are talking 5+ metres from 80 kph. This is often the best insurance policy for your loved ones and getting long wearing tyres is just rolling the dice. PM me if you want any more info on this.
3 - I'm not a fan of space saver tyres as I do a bit of country driving and I may look at replacing it with a standard road wheel. I realise that I'll have to put some spacers under the boot carpet to raise it, but can anyone confirm that the 16" or 17" road wheels will fit within the wheel well?
I am with you on this. I hate space savers too. I would be interested to see how you go with this. Please keep us posted

5 - I enjoy chatting to the voice control lady, but I feel that she needs a name. I'm thinking of something suitable for an upper class and refined English lady. Any suggestions?
I have called her many names, but most of them not repeatable here. The MC may be "more refined" than the MA but I find the voice control to be a tad annoying as it often interprets the wrong thing. eg you say phone and it says climate, hence my annoyance.

I found that in the Territory forum any question could be answered and I am confident the same will apply here. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Regards,
Canyonero.
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Greane01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonero

1 - The manual and brochure says it has a perimeter alarm fitted, but is pretty light on details of what version is actually fitted and if it has any of the variety of settings available. Any more information available?
It's designed to alarm if someone smashes a window and tries to open the door from the inside - there's no settings (that I know of) and the interior ultra-sonic sensors (two black holes in the sunglasses holder mounted to the headlining) aren't there on the Zetec!
I'd be interested in this too - Haven't replaced the tyres on my Mondeo yet, but I put Michelin Primacy LC (rear) and Michelin Pilot Sport 3s (front) of the wife's Focus and I'm very happy with them.
4 - The sound system is certainly much better than the "Premium" unit fitted to the Territory but for the life of me I can't find the sub-woofer. Where is it?
The optional (in the UK) premium sound system, available in conjunction with the Ford CD/SD PLUS navigation system, has a 17 litre subwoofer located in the luggage compartment... I don't know what sound system we got with the Oz spec Zetec, but I can't find the sub either (just the 9 speakers consisting of 2 door speakers and 2 door tweeters, central dash-mounted speaker and 2 rear door speakers and 2 door tweeters). Rumour has it that the sub fits in the wheel well (probably under the space saver??)
I named her M (from the James Bond movies). But yes, she's pretty hopeless!
Hope this helps!
Cheers

Last edited by Greane01; 20-09-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Greane01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
whitetdci

I am glad that I am not the only one that she frustrates Greane
Old 20-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
JimStone

Named the interface voice 'Kate'.

I have replaced the space saver with a full size 18" rim with 235/40 R18 tyre to match the new road wheels. Knocked up a frame with 92x19mm pine and a ply top, layer of eva foam betwen frame and floor to ensure no rattles/scuffs, same between ply lid and tyre/rim - flat floor with added bonus of a number of under floor storage areas

makes an weekend get away with the car club so much easier too

JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Canyonero
Wow, this is roomy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetdci
Thank you for the reply. Regarding the voice, I meant that she sounds refined, not that the software is refined. Yesterday I said several times "Phone" and she kept replying "What fan speed?" I guess she doesn't understand Strine too well.

I should do a more detailed search for the tyres, I thought that there may a few quick answers. I prefer to buy the well known premium brands, perhaps I'm a bit conservative in that regard so I prefer to look at Goodyear, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Michelin and so on. I'm not sure if Maxxis is there yet, but like you, I would place an emphasis on wet weather performance. Obviously I need to do more research. If tyres are anything like the Territory forum, the subject comes up often.

An interesting and creative solution to the space saver was added to the thread and that is one to consider. I wonder what the chances are of finding a good wheel and tyre at a wrecker?

MINE: Escape ZG Trend 2.0L EcoBoost AWD, Magnetic with Technology Pack, Power Tailgate and Keyless Entry

SWMBO: "The Canyonero" Territory SY TS AWD, 7 seats, Mercury Silver (Now gone to a new home, Feb 2024)
Old 21-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Canyonero
Wow, this is roomy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greane01
Hope this helps!
Cheers
Thanks for the reply. I checked the Michelin site and they have the Primacy HP in the correct load and speed rating (95 W), so I'll keep that in mind.

Re the alarm, that seems pretty simple. Aus models must have the basic one fitted. I noticed those two little holes and at first I thought they might be microphones, but I think that is the slotted hole between them.

The audio specs say 9 speakers, so I assumed that there was a woofer, like in the Territory "Not Really Premium" system. I had a look last night for the centre dash speaker. Is it near the demister vents or buried elsewhere?

Old 21-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #8
Canyonero
Wow, this is roomy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStone
Named the interface voice 'Kate'.

I have replaced the space saver with a full size 18" rim with 235/40 R18 tyre to match the new road wheels. Knocked up a frame with 92x19mm pine and a ply top, layer of eva foam betwen frame and floor to ensure no rattles/scuffs, same between ply lid and tyre/rim - flat floor with added bonus of a number of under floor storage areas

makes an weekend get away with the car club so much easier too

That looks great and I reckon I could do that too. Obviously a full sized wheel does fit in the well, so you've answered that question, thanks. The flat floor is a bonus and the loss of loading depth wouldn't be an issue. Though, I'm not sure if I would like to sleep in there! I don't think my old bones would like it.

Old 21-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great choice of car there mate!
I am sure you will have a great experience in the Mondeo section, as you have also enjoyed in the Territory section.

Check out the DRL sticky!!!
Old 21-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
whitetdci

I can vouch for the Maxxis. They have been around for a long time but have mainly done bike tyres. The one I mentioned I have run on numerous cars and I have a pretty high criteria. I wont risk my family to crap tyres either but these have been around for about 7 years now and there are a lot of people who swear by them. Don't get the MA-V1 though as they are rubbish. There are other tyres out there that are better but have a much higher price tag. I can offer you a couple more tyres if you like that will grip like the proverbial.
Old 22-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

I changed from the Continental ContactSport2 OEM c**p to Yokohama C-drive (235/40x18). Now I can drive in the wet with confidence. The Conti's hated any water whatsoever on the road and would aquaplane thru any vaguely visible puddle, whereas the Yokohamas shed the water great.
And the Conti's tramlined dreadfully.
And the Yokohamas were $100 ea cheaper.
I had a few sets of these on my 89 Prelude and was very impressed.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
Greane01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greane01
Hope this helps!
Cheers
I've done a bit more research into the question on the Mondeo subwoofer.

It appears that it is only available as part of the Premium Sound System option in the UK (it's not standard on any model, just a GBP275 option) and, if specified, sits in the wheel well, therefore deleting the option for a full size spare/space saver; instead you have to make do with puncture repair kit...

In Australia we have to 'make do' with a lowly nine speakers (or eight in the LX)...

I'm guessing that the 9th centre speaker is in between the demister vents inside the dash - it would make sense as it would require venting of some kind.

Last edited by Greane01; 22-09-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Greane01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post