Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
cattitude

Default Help needed Connecting Battery Charger - cant get to negative terminal

Flat battery, need to get the car back to dealership, have a mondeo 2010.

Of course the battery is a nightmare to get to! Dealership is going to put a new one in but for now I need to some how figure out how to get to the negative terminal to hook up the charger. easy to get to positive as just took of front bit of plastic but can someone tell me how to get to the negative.

thanks in advance.

cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Help needed Connecting Battery Charger - cant get to negative terminal

can you get to the earth bolt on the engine that the battery connects to

this will do the same thing

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
cattitude

Default Re: Help needed Connecting Battery Charger - cant get to negative terminal

Unsure, im not all that familiar with the car as yet. I have gone from a 95 fairlane that I knew very well to this.....
Can I earth on raw metal safely???
Old 16-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #4
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

preferably a direct line to the negative side of battery

can you find the negative terminal from the battery and follow down to where it earths

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 16-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

See: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11357539
Old 16-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Check the owners handbook; it apparently has instructions on jump starting.
Old 16-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
cattitude

I have no problems on knowing how to jump start but as there is no other car near by thats not possible. I just need to know the best negative connection point to CHARGE the battery with a charger so I can pump a bit of life in it to get it to the dealers for a new battery replacement.
Old 16-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattitude
I have no problems on knowing how to jump start but as there is no other car near by thats not possible. I just need to know the best negative connection point to CHARGE the battery with a charger so I can pump a bit of life in it to get it to the dealers for a new battery replacement.
Hi. The same connection points for jump starting are suitable for using as charging points....... ie: if you can put up to 200 amp from a set of jumper leads through these connections, 5 amps from a trickle charger is a doddle. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Cattitude,

Hopefully when you get some charge into the battery, you will be able to start the car. People here have reported problems when the battery fails because the car's immobiliser activates. Suspicion is that this occurs if the battery terminal voltage falls below some threshold.

The main body earth point is a bolt with a peculiar head shaped a bit like a top hat located to the right side of the battery shield on the firewall of the car if you are standing at the front of the car looking rearwards. It has a high current capacity cable terminating there.

You can make an easy connection to that point for charging.

If the battery is dead flat, charging from a trickle charger will take a while, 10 to 12 hours at least.

You are sure that the battery is just discharged and has not failed with one or more cells having shorted plates? If it is a fail condition then I suspect your plan to charge will be in vain.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
cattitude

thanks very much AlanD, very helpful.
I managed to stick it on a charge for a few hours and presto it started with no problems, so I am assuming that yes its a dead battery, wont hold a charge.
Goodness knows WHY they make things harder to get to under the bonnet!
Old 17-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done Allan.......I'm not familiar with the vehicle so I didn't want to mislead

Old 17-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi again,

I should have mentioned this in the previous post.

The Mondeo does not isolate the power (Cigar lighter) sockets when the ignition is off (True for the MA series vehicles, best to check for the MB, MC series)(Thanks to apstar for this bit of data) and so this makes for a convenient place to trickle charge the battery if you plan on leaving the car for a few weeks.

Source one of these http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MB3523 or something similar and also a cigar lighter plug http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PP2000. Wire the plug so that the tip is positive and the sleeve is negative.

Note that if you don't want to destroy the plug on the flying lead of the charger module, its a simple job to get an appropriate socket and then wire the cigar lighter plug to it.

Now you can hook up the charger to the mains, plug the cigar lighter plug into a power outlet in the car and this will happily trickle charge the battery without any need to go poking about under the bonnet.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post