Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-12-2013, 10:49 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Australia,s Rarest muscle cars

Can you really classify something that runs 17 second quarters as a muscle car? Especially one that was a luxury car and not marketed or sold as a muscle car. That's what the GT's were for.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #32
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree Bossxr8 - As much as we love them, I think we tend to look at a lot of these cars through some pretty heavily rose coloured glasses!

I remember when the XC Falcons were new. The poor things were so choked down with ADR27A bits and pieces that even the 5.8 litre ones wouldn't pull the skin off a custard! As we all know they could be woken up with a bit of attention but gee whizz they were slugs in standard fettle. I don't think a 5.8 XC could have run much better than 17 seconds when new either.

Russ.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #33
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

As said by some above ...... its more the case the Landau was an actual designated model, not an extension or optioned up car such as GT's, etc. The Landau was a Landau and only 1385 were made for the entire model run. They are even rarer today because sooooo many were stripped for their running gear and how hard they are to restore.

Suppose the argument could be, is a Falcon GT a designated model or and option? Same as 2 door Leylands or Cobra's?

Whether they are actually a 'Muscle Car' ..... well thats also up for debate I suppose. I think it is because of what my idea of a true muscle car is. Built in the 70's, Chrome bumber, Big engine, crap brakes. .... but this only my opinion of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Can you really classify something that runs 17 second quarters as a muscle car? Especially one that was a luxury car and not marketed or sold as a muscle car. That's what the GT's were for.
Pffffftttt ....... mine runs 10's!!!!!!!! See! They are muscle cars!!!!!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #34
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

No doubt in my mind, the Bill Bourke Special and the Calypso Green Phase 4.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #35
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Erm..."muscle car"...

Love the comment about "The stock wheel was a steel 15-inch item with a baggy 70-series tyre, usually an Olympic Reflex textile radial that provided reasonable grip".

How times have changed...back then you must remember, a 15" wheel was huge...13" was normal, 14" was "big". When the Porsche 959 came out it had staggeringly massive humongous 17" wheels!!!!. We were all stunned.

Rust...yes indeed...I remember two neighbours of ours who coincidentally both owned Landaus...one a beautiful metallic gold one, the other in a dark blue...and they were both constantly fixing rust even though the cars were well maintained and garaged.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #36
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
Whether they are actually a 'Muscle Car' ..... well thats also up for debate I suppose. I think it is because of what my idea of a true muscle car is. Built in the 70's, Chrome bumber, Big engine, crap brakes. .... but this only my opinion of course.
Hey, I have a sticker I had made up on the back window of our old WB ute with the worked 253 in it...the sticker says "Steel body, Chrome Bumpers, Cast Iron Engine...Just As Nature Intended".

Oh...and I forgot to add...a 70 series tyre back then actually was "low profile"...most were 78 series as the norm.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #37
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Oh...and I forgot to add...a 70 series tyre back then actually was "low profile"...most were 78 series as the norm.
I always ran 14inch 50 series BF Goodrich T/A’s.

But I didn’t care about my safety.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #38
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
I saw a P76 wagon yesterday.

Was a little untidy but I cant recall ever seeing one on the road before
They built prototypes but destroyed them all.

Green Targa Florios are rarer than blue ones!

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #39
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a lot of stories about how many P76 variants survived...everything from "heaps" to "none". We were always told that no Force 7 variants survived, but then it turned out there were in fact quite a few around, saved by various people, even some that ended up in England. And as for wagons, a simple image search shows a few around the place.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=p...w=1366&bih=643

I always wanted a P76...one with the excellent V8 of course, not the hopeless six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I always ran 14inch 50 series BF Goodrich T/A’s.

But I didn’t care about my safety.
You mad rash fool!!!! I also fitted a set of T/A's in 205/13-60 to the Cortina GT I used to own so I know what you're talking about...how we survived those things is beyond me...

They'd be hopeless to own these days...I seem to recall that on smooth bitumen you'd only have to do a tight u-turn at above walking pace and they squealed and turned all heads in your direction like you were in the middle of a burnout competition...you'd end up with your car being impounded for doing "burnouts" if the cops heard that...
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #40
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Been there too, lol. I bought a Sandman van in the mid 80s' that was fitted with T/As'. They lasted right up till the first time the road was damp and I found myself facing backwards on a roundabout without trying. They were immediately binned for a set of Yokohama 352s'. Those of us that were shaving before 1990 will remember them for their "A" pattern tread. They were pretty good tyres as I remember.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #41
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
You mad rash fool!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Been there too, lol.

Yeah there are a lot of stories from the 70’s wrapped around a set of T/As.

The first time I put them on a UTE it took about 10 minutes and I was facing in the other direction. I gave it just a little throttle while driving in a straight line and woosh, my mate near soiled himself and so did I, the UTE was only a few days old. I learnt quickly after that, always expect the unexpected.

And in the wet, well I don’t know how they could be legally sold, they aquaplaned if someone spat on the road.

The mad things you do to make a car look tough. Tyre technology sure has come a long way.

I wasn't as fast a learner as you Bushbasher but I eventually cottoned on that the Yokie 352's were far better bet and I still use them on the Torrie.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #42
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I reckon the old BF TAs were the stickiest tyre around in the 70's..
Coming from Mickey Thomson N50 Indy Profile 4 plys, TA's felt like they' been dipped in VHT...
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #43
xr6turboford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
I reckon the old BF TAs were the stickiest tyre around in the 70's..
Coming from Mickey Thomson N50 Indy Profile 4 plys, TA's felt like they' been dipped in VHT...
Until it rained then it was like driving on ice. Had TA on my XBGT Coupe and found them great in the dry but when it rained hang on for dear life and hope you don't hit anything.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #44
jamies

Yes, the classic BF radial TA's... Like a knife on hot butter in the wet. Looked good though.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #45
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
There's a lot of stories about how many P76 variants survived...everything from "heaps" to "none". We were always told that no Force 7 variants survived, but then it turned out there were in fact quite a few around, saved by various people, even some that ended up in England. And as for wagons, a simple image search shows a few around the place.

I always wanted a P76...one with the excellent V8 of course, not the hopeless six.

You mad rash fool!!!! I also fitted a set of T/A's in 205/13-60 to the Cortina GT I used to own so I know what you're talking about...how we survived those things is beyond me...

They'd be hopeless to own these days...I seem to recall that on smooth bitumen you'd only have to do a tight u-turn at above walking pace and they squealed and turned all heads in your direction like you were in the middle of a burnout competition...you'd end up with your car being impounded for doing "burnouts" if the cops heard that...
Oh, little did I now.

I want one.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #46
bullfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR27
How many XE 5.8 ESP were made??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
The rarest ESP's are the 302 four speed. From memory there was only 100 made.
Correct.

And to add to the argument, how many 351 XE Falcons, including Interceptors.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #47
PlukaDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post

Correct.

And to add to the argument, how many 351 XE Falcons, including Interceptors.
Well close but not close enough

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_XE_Falcon
The xe ESP was a falcon with option 54.
Production totalled 193,890 units [1] prior to the replacement of the XE by the XF Falcon in October 1984

The Landau was a LANDAU 1385 Units produced.

The XE Fairmont Ghia ESP (option 54) was an optional pack that was chosen by the purchaser when ordering their new car, it varied in trim, styles and motors... examples of some ESP upgrades are, two-tone Charcoal-accented paint or base Ghia paint, Scheel-brand front bucket seats or ghia Seats, 5.8L Cleveland V8 or 4.1L EFI Crossflow, 3 speed C4 auto or 4 speed single rail manual. Most ESP optioned ghias are easily distinguishable from the Fairmont Ghia, however, many Option 54 Fairmont Ghias look so similar to the Fairmont Ghia that most second hand owners do not realise they have an ESP as there is no code on the compliance plate to distinguish this, the only way to know if a Fairmont Ghia is a TRUE ESP is to write ford with the compliance details and Ford will then track the cars original purchase order and look for "option 54" on purchase order, the only common part of a XE ESP was the differential and rear brakes, "Option 54" included LSD and rear disc brakes as standard
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #48
bullfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlukaDuck View Post
Well close but not close enough
Production totalled 193,890 units
That's the whole production run of XE's not the ESP. There were only 538 XE V8 ESP's produced. 178 x 351/4 Speeds, 100 x 302/4 Speeds and 260 x 302/Autos.
There were only 2389 V8 XE's made during 1982.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlukaDuck View Post
The xe ESP was a falcon with option 54.
XE ESP's were based on the Fairmont Ghia, not the Falcon GL.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #49
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the XD Fairmont Ghia ESP 351 4speed is even more rare than the XE ESP 351 4spd isn't in bullfrog! I am fairly sure there is only about 100 produced iirc compared to 178 for the XE.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #50
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
That's the whole production run of XE's not the ESP. There were only 538 XE V8 ESP's produced. 178 x 351/4 Speeds, 100 x 302/4 Speeds and 260 x 302/Autos.

XE ESP's were based on the Fairmont Ghia, not the Falcon GL.
So no XE ESP 5.8L auto and no 4.1L ?
Can't say i remember seeing any.
But only XD ESP 4.1L
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #51
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
But only XD ESP 4.1L
Bullfrog is the man in respect to ESP's, but no 5.8 litre auto Xe ESP's. Plenty of 4.1 litre Esp's in both XE & XD.
XD ESP's came in two variants. Falcon ESP & Fairmont Ghia ESP's. As far as I know the XD ESP only came with the 4.1 litre & 5.8 litre engines. There were no 4.9 Litre XD ESP's! All XD ESP's had the option of both manual & auto transmissions with the Fairmont Ghia ESP 5.8 litre 4 sp the rarest with only about 100 ever made.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #52
max_torq
From the Futura

Quote:
And as for wagons, a simple image search shows a few around the place.
Even among those pictured there seems to be three wagons and they all have different c-pillar treatments, they are possibly one-off customs, concept cars or mockups. The family had a P76 when I was young. I don't remember even hearing of a wagon.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #53
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
They built prototypes but destroyed them all.

Green Targa Florios are rarer than blue ones!
So I didn't see one ??

When I've got a bit more time I will hunt for some more info on these.
It really was a surprise seeing it head towards me.

I know there is a couple of sedans in a garage close by, one I believe is the Florio model........ so obviously a P76 enthusiast to some degree.
Chances are high that the wagon I saw comes from the same address.

EDIT - just saw 2011G6E's post
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #54
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mates HDT Monza should get a mention as rare, 1 of 1.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #55
bullfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 18 View Post
Bullfrog is the man in respect to ESP's, but no 5.8 litre auto Xe ESP's. Plenty of 4.1 litre Esp's in both XE & XD.
XD ESP's came in two variants. Falcon ESP & Fairmont Ghia ESP's. As far as I know the XD ESP only came with the 4.1 litre & 5.8 litre engines. There were no 4.9 Litre XD ESP's! All XD ESP's had the option of both manual & auto transmissions with the Fairmont Ghia ESP 5.8 litre 4 sp the rarest with only about 100 ever made.
All correct Rob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 18
I think the XD Fairmont Ghia ESP 351 4speed is even more rare than the XE ESP 351 4spd isn't in bullfrog! I am fairly sure there is only about 100 produced iirc compared to 178 for the XE.
By my estimation, I think about 110 were made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
But only XD ESP 4.1L
There was a special "1 off" 5.8 Auto XE ESP. There are plenty of 4.1's in both manual and auto, just didn't seem relevant to mention them in this thread.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #56
PlukaDuck

[QUOTE=bullfrog;4952632]That's the whole production run of XE's not the ESP. There were only 538 XE V8 ESP's produced. 178 x 351/4 Speeds, 100 x 302/4 Speeds and 260 x 302/Autos.

The original author's intent is for a particular model production run.

The XE-series was introduced with a choice of five engines.[1]
  • 3.3-litre inline six-cylinder
  • 4.1-litre inline six-cylinder
  • 4.1-litre inline electronic fuel injected six-cylinder
  • 4.9-litre V8
  • 5.8-litre V8
The XE range consisted of nine models marketed as follows:
  • Falcon GL sedan[3]
  • Fairmont sedan[3]
  • Fairmont Ghia sedan[3]
  • Falcon GL wagon[3]
  • Fairmont wagon[3]
  • Falcon ute[4]
  • Falcon GL ute[4]
  • Falcon van[4]
  • Falcon GL van[4]
The Ford Falcon is a full-size car which has been manufactured by the Ford Motor Company of Australia since 1960. Each model from the XA series of 1972 onward has been designed, developed and built in Australia, following the phasing out of the American influenced Ford Falcon of 1960–71 which had been re-engineered locally for the harsher Australian conditions. As a result of the longevity of its Australian production, the Falcon is one of the biggest selling names in world automotive history, selling over 3,000,000 in seven generations to 2003, almost exclusively in Australia and New Zealand but also South Africa.[1]

If you want to split hairs the only options available on a Landau where
Cassette deck
Full leather
Therefore there where 3 Landau produced with cassette deck and 1
Landau with full leather and cassette deck
But that is not what the the Article is about.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #57
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Was the difference between 82 and 83 6 cyl ESP's the carby in 82 and EFI in 83? I remember the 83 lost the orange stripe as well.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #58
PlukaDuck

Bullfrog

I owned a xd Fairmont Ghia Factory 351 4-speed 9-inch back in the early 90's
I sold it to a girl.
It had the tendency to constantly snap the rear sway bar brackets of
the chassis. While I was looking I noticed that it had radius rods on the rear . ( did not look aftermarket either )

Looking back now I was wondering did they ever homogalate any bodies with radius rods for Bathurst??????
Old 03-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #59
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
I agree Bossxr8 - As much as we love them, I think we tend to look at a lot of these cars through some pretty heavily rose coloured glasses!

I remember when the XC Falcons were new. The poor things were so choked down with ADR27A bits and pieces that even the 5.8 litre ones wouldn't pull the skin off a custard! As we all know they could be woken up with a bit of attention but gee whizz they were slugs in standard fettle. I don't think a 5.8 XC could have run much better than 17 seconds when new either.

Russ.
Exactly...sitting right here beside me in the bookshelf is a 1982 Wheels magazine with a review of the XE ESP Ghia with the last of the 351's. It put out...wait for it...149 romping stomping kilowatts...weren't a lot of people laughing at the new Toyota 86 for "only" putting out 147kw...?

Of course, some people come back with "Oh but they calculated the kilowatts differently with all ancillaries fitted at that time". Which is only right...they actually started testing engines as they sat in the car you drove on the street, with radiator, water pump, air filter, full exhaust system, alternator, and all anti-pollution...a far more realistic figure of what a car actually produces than a bare engine sitting on a stand revving it's head off with no water pump or alternator or exhaust or air cleaner.
In fact in a lot of motoring magazines from the late seventies after ADR27A came out, they didn't even quote power outputs...manufacturers were embarrassed by how powerful their great big V8's and big capacity sixes weren't and didn't like to advertise the fact...

Last edited by 2011G6E; 03-12-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #60
bullfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-RPD View Post
Was the difference between 82 and 83 6 cyl ESP's the carby in 82 and EFI in 83? I remember the 83 lost the orange stripe as well.
1982 XE ESP's had a carby and the 2 tone paint with orange mould. Sierra Tan trim was also available.
1983/84 XE ESP's had only the 4.1 EFI, single colour duco, standard Fairmont Ghia moulds and only Gunmetal trim.