Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
Snelens
tryhard

Default Snow driving

Gday all.

The good wife & I are planning to go up to Hotham on the weekend with our little fella.
Anyway, we have access to a Nissan X-trail SUV p.o.s. that seems to pass as a 4wd for unchained access up the mountain.
I am not that keen as on the highway it is positively dangerous, its slow, handles terribly, doesn't stop, wobbles all over the place, and generally scares me at anything over 90KPH. The wives daily is a SAAB 9-5 Aero wagon with a few goodies inc a full Bilstein set up so it corners VERY well (for a medium size wagon), very stable, quiet and makes you feel very safe (Id say 100% better than a standard 9-5).
My argument is that we would be safer and happier in the SAAB for the sake of a few Ks up the mountain on chains, but she says we need the X Trail 4wd. But I got thinking (the dangerous part) why would the X trail with its pathetic chassis dynamics be able to go all the way up WITHOUT chains but the SAAB FWD with much better dynamics wouldn't be able to?
Surely the SAAB would be so much safer? The X trail is mainly FWD anyway and the rear drive kicks in occasionally so wouldn't a car with better dynamics, better tyres, be just simply safer chains or no chains?
I realise a true 4wd (or a Subie) would be a different story so I am not trying to discuss that point just the SAAB v's X trail.

Look forward to the comments.

Snelens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

yeh imo xtrail wont make the cut, its just a poser 4x4, like you said, its a fwd usually and the rears kick in when slip is detected. No use having a car which has the rears kick in when its to late.
Take the saab, its better in normal conditions, and if you drive with a bit of common sense, its better on the mountain aswell.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i went to the snow on the weekend and it was that slipery that a police patrol ran in to a barrier and i saw first hand a new bmw x5 slide into a barrier.

it wont matter what car you have just make sure you drive slow and have chains in the driven wheels (dont laugh my mate put his chains on the back of a corolla)
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Saab with chains FOR SURE!!! If it's good enough for the whole of Europe to stick to FWD due to water/ice/snow on the roads, then it's good enough for 5% of your trip in Australia.

Once you're on ice - a 10x10 Caterpillar on road tyres would still have no grip - simply put rubber doesn't grip on ice, regardless of driven wheels. If there's shed loads of snow and you may have to fit chains, I'd rather be in the safer European FWD on chains.

For heaven's sake - here's where the Saab comes from!!!

Show her this and start packing your bags.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not sure what the laws are in VIC but in NSW you need to carry chaines all the time but only need to fit them when sign posted (generaly stoped at a fitting bay)

if this is the case I would take the SAAB as theres only a chance you will beed chains and even if you do its a 10min if that fit and un fit process, its not fun but I would rather the few hour drive out there and home again be compoftable with a few minuets of discompfort fitting them than hours of slow drudge in a clunker becasue it has the 4WD badge

I was in Perisher all last week and there was no need for chaines there :( I beleive the conditions have improved some what since though

But a cptn Awsom said stick them on the drive wheels not jsut the back wheels, last year I was fitting chains and when I looked up there was an old duck sticking the chains on the rear wheels of here Mazda 323, I went to tell her and help her fit them to the front but I coped a mouth full of abuse so I left her to it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti

I was in Perisher all last week and there was no need for chaines there :( I beleive the conditions have improved some what since though
should have seen it saturday night and sunday. wish i was there this week
Old 05-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving Routes, Road Conditions and Parking
It takes approximately 4.5 hours from Melbourne and 8 hours from Sydney to drive from Hotham.

Hotham is located at the crest of the Great Alpine Road, the highest bitumen road in Australia. By road the resort is 357km from Melbourne, 746km from Sydney and 882km from Adelaide.

*Important Note: You must carry snow chains at all times during the declared snow season, and fit them where directed. It is a legal requirement for all vehicles entering the Alpine Road Reserve, and it is also a safety measure. You can hire chains at the base of the mountain from: Hoys Ski Centre. When you hire your chains from Hoys in Harrietville, they will fit them for free at their mobile chain fitting service operating between Harrietville & the Mt Hotham village.

http://www.mthotham.com.au/travel/road/driving/
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

was at falls last weekend and we had to have the chains on all the way back to mt beauty on sunday night. snow was awesome powder was perfect and comparable to switzerland and whistler.

i would take the saab, much safer car and if you do hit ice in either car the chains wont stop you. im heading to hotham this weekend, i'll keep an eye out for the saab ;)
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

Hey captain awesome... It wasn't a audi q7 was it?
VioletGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
was at falls last weekend and we had to have the chains on all the way back to mt beauty on sunday night. snow was awesome powder was perfect and comparable to switzerland and whistler.

i would take the saab, much safer car and if you do hit ice in either car the chains wont stop you. im heading to hotham this weekend, i'll keep an eye out for the saab ;)
i`ve driven on the ice without chains........ sorta , not something i`d like do again.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletGT
Hey captain awesome... It wasn't a audi q7 was it?
was talking to the cop with the patrol in the barrier and he said in 1 hour he delt with 10 crashes, wouldnt be supprised if a q7 crashed.
all these people with these "4wd's" think they can go anywhere but with road tyres they dont go to well
Old 06-08-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
Snelens
tryhard

All solved we grabbed the outlaws Cayenne...

Although I must say my bro's Turbo Terri rides better, has a better gearchange /smoother drivetrain (especially at slow speeds in the city), quieter, uses less fuel, has more room BUT doesnt stop or go around corners.

I look forward to the drive now as I was worried sick I was going to be inflicted with the X trail.
Snelens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven in france with snow tyres, not the type with studs, and they are fantastic, way better than chains. Not even the slipperiest black ice makes them spin. I couldnt believe it in fact!

Driven to the snow 4 times in last month, chains required twice, fitted once. Have stability control so hardly need chains I reckon. Had some fun trying to make it slide with chains and without with the stability control, seems to work ok, and better without chains. (have a diesel triton with 245 tyres.)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yes normal road tyres tend to go hard like plastic...
I've driven my brothers GTO [Monaro] in Chicago ..
You have to take it EASY !!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #15
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Just wondering if you've driven any other examples of the X-Trail, or just the one particular one that you're referring to?

Mine behaves nothing like that. Perhaps that's a well-used/abused example.

For the record, the 4WD system is quite capable and quick to kick-in if slip is detected. And if you're running in 'Auto' mode, a small percent of the power is always directed to the rear wheels. And if there are any particular nasty bits, you can put it in 'Lock', which splits the power 50/50 front to rear (only up to 40km/h though).

Cheers,
some Poser (apparently!)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Im heading up to Buller this weekend with some friends, will the standard Ford anti boil/freeze be fine?

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #17
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy
Im heading up to Buller this weekend with some friends, will the standard Ford anti boil/freeze be fine?
yeh it will be fine. went in my old mans g6e and had no problem
Old 09-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
GYRKIN GT

I support you all the way MOND30. Like you, we have an X-Trail sitting in our garage, right next to the FG GT. For the record, our diesel Exy is sensational. Most of the time we drive the Exy on the F3 between Hornsby and the NSW Central Coast and there is no way in the world I would endanger my 2 kids by putting them in a "positively dangerous" vehicle.

Quick question, if an X-Trail is a "poser 4x4", what the hell does that make a Cayenne?????
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #19
KYSBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYRKIN GT
Quick question, if an X-Trail is a "poser 4x4", what the hell does that make a Cayenne?????
Mahahahaha!!!
KYSBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Pointless thread - you are asking members of ford forums about rules for driving on the snow. What do you expect to get out of it? Something like "But officer, the people on ford forums say the SAAB is way better than the X-trail." Sorry, but I fail to see the value in this at all. You know your choices; choose one. If the X-Trail is as bad as you say, how has it got an RWC? Or why is it even in the equation at all if it's that bad? Common sense needs to prevail here.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post