Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-05-2023, 10:42 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Un-Pinning Tyco Slide-Lock Connector

One of these, it’s not Ford so I haven’t put it in one of the Tech subforums. Looking for a suggestion on “cheating” (improvising).
They have thin, fiddly spring legs either side of the terminal “mouth”. I don’t have a release tool, and need to release the seven populated spots to reuse the un-damaged housing. A fine flat blade screwdriver doesn’t seem to be doing it, and sewing needles were unsuccessful as well.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2023, 10:54 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Un-Pinning Tyco Slide-Lock Connector

Got a thin pair of tweezers handy to get on both sides of the terminal?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2023, 11:05 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I have this and other terminals release tool kits https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15530895...Bk9SR6K_-M-CYg If you tell what it's from I will see what tool, if any the say fits and post an enlarged picture of the tool(s) if that helps,
Old 13-05-2023, 11:09 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s a fairly standard Tyco connector, happens to be GM branded but as used on many European car headlights.
Old 13-05-2023, 11:15 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
It’s a fairly standard Tyco connector, happens to be GM branded but as used on many European car headlights.
So probably one the Opel ones in the kit.
Old 13-05-2023, 11:22 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, as the exact connector is used on some Opel headlights.

I tried three different sets of surgical tweezers and using two opposing picks, but no dice.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 13-05-2023 at 11:38 PM.
Old 14-05-2023, 12:00 AM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

One of the attached perhaps. But if you can bring yourself to tell me the details of the car it came from I can probably narrow it down as there are references around that tell what terminal release tool fit what part of what car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Termopascalesmall.jpg (57.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 14-05-2023, 12:17 AM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

This I believe: https://gmtis.ntweb.ru/tis/en/docume...168522.en.html and https://www.tillmantools.com/Kent-Mo...-38125-556.htm
?
Old 14-05-2023, 01:55 AM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

References like this give actual terminal tool dimensions so you can more easily make a clone https://www.te.com/content/dam/te-co...Compendium.pdf See page 24 for the tool part number and page 11 for links to get the dimensions etc.. If you can't tell me the car do you have the Tyco/Amp part number that should be molded onto the connector?

Last edited by aussiblue; 14-05-2023 at 02:02 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2023, 12:26 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

As I often say; apple, table, coin…

It’s an AMP / TE Connectivity plug - not Tyco. Used on Astra K series, VE Commode, some similar era Corollas.

The release aperture is 4,9mm span by 1,8mm wide, with a cutout just under 3mm for the contacts in the middle.
Old 14-05-2023, 01:05 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
It’s an AMP / TE Connectivity plug - not Tyco.
So the link in my last post still applies. I sort of already worked that out from your pic.
Old 14-05-2023, 01:46 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Pretty much. It (P.37) actually nominates a tool not shown, but the general family is illustrated.
Old 14-05-2023, 01:52 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Pretty much. It (P.37) actually nominates a tool not shown, but the general family is illustrated.
Follow the instructions on page 11.
Old 14-05-2023, 03:00 PM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Victoire; c’est doux.*
I took a different path and tried to mimic the core aspect of that tool family. The housing’s back clearance in the terminal ports is intelligently designed so that if one side leg becomes irrevocably distorted and hung up on its latching area, provided you can tuck its opposite through - the terminal may be pushed out with no housing damage. Two out of seven gave me difficulty (and were resolved) in this way. Five complied with the redneck tool.

*I’m concerned that if I don’t exercise my brain sufficiently with maintaining other languages, mental decline may worsen…
2 users like this post: