Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Stone chips - Treatment or prevention

My black car is quickly becoming a nightmare with bonnet stonechips - especially on the leading edge. I know I can get the massive plastic bonnet protector that comes down over the nose of the bonnet, but I was wondering what experiences people have had with the touch-up pens (from the manufacturer or otherwise) and also if anyone here has or heard anything about the 3M protective bonnet tape that can professionally be fitted to the cars nose/bumper.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

From my own personal experiences, I once had a bonnet protector fitted to my XR. All it did was deflect rather than protect and consequently I ended up with stone chips further up the bonnet.

The touch up paint I got from Ford isn't exactly the best colour match, but I'd rather a slightly off colour than rust spots developing. Probably what you're best of doing in this regard is try and get a colour match off a panelbeater or something along those lines.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #3
blurter

My AU was the same Dave, (luckily?) I was hit in the front so asked for a full front respray, problem solved :(

I'm not sure about the pens but the touch up paint from Ford while a good colour match (Narooma Blue) is cumbersome. It is really thick and glugy. I thin it then slowly build up layers with a very fine modellers paint brush . I'm sure I could do a better job if I took more time. At least it took the white/grey undercoat look away.

Jamie XR6 has a colour matched bonnet protector on his BA. Last time I spoke with him he was not overly impressed with it as it only seemed to transfer the bonnet stone chips back towards the windscreen. He was also talking about getting the 3M tape, not sure if he has done anything yet.

AFAIK he's away until late January so mighten be on much, maybe a PM will get a quicker response.

Steve

Last edited by blurter; 04-01-2005 at 05:40 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 05:06 PM   #4
RATT

Whoever thinks of something that can prevent atleast small stonechips will become a rich person.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
BJ
Banned

There is such a product made by 3m it is a clear film that gose over the painted surface it is that thin you dont even notice it is there. I think you can get it from most good paint shops. Most of the Hot Rod boys use it.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah I've found a few guys who do it, I think its a bit pricey though, but worth it.

I guess the issue is do I pay $300 for this 3m tape or just pay $500 and get a bonnet and bumper resprayed - its a mica paint though so it may take some matching to do.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #7
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH7472
There is such a product made by 3m it is a clear film that gose over the painted surface it is that thin you dont even notice it is there. I think you can get it from most good paint shops. Most of the Hot Rod boys use it.
Can you still get that stuff?
I havnt seen it for sale for about 6 years.
Dave have you contemplated a Car Bra?
Or is the chips just from around town driving?

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED

Back in a Ford XR. MA XR5 Mondeo

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #8
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

Problem with respraying the front bumper is that the paint is never as hard as the original, consequently the stone chips post the respray are bloody worse!!! I agree with RATT!!!

Cheers
AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 10:21 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Mal (HOTDBZ) has the best idea. Its a custom fitted piece of stick on, transparent, plastic (like contact) on the leading edge of his bonnet. You dont notice it till your about 1 meter away. That way the stones can hit and not make a mark without detracting from the looks.

Its expensive though, couple $100 and not reusable.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #10
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Thats the stuff we are talking about Shane.

"Experimental Racer" #6

Old 04-01-2005, 11:13 PM   #11
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

I have this product for my Territory: www.stonegard.com.au It cost me $650 for kit b, door sills, edges and handles plus the step area of the boot. So far no problems.

Mark
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 11:21 PM   #12
Toolman
Marmindie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark^^
I have this product for my Territory: www.stonegard.com.au It cost me $650 for kit b, door sills, edges and handles plus the step area of the boot. So far no problems.

Mark
Good stuff that... from memory (so very unreliable) they have a heavier grade for headlights and driving/fog/AP lights, which stop breakages also.
Toolman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 11:23 PM   #13
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
they have a heavier grade for headlights and driving/fog/AP lights, which stop breakages also.
Yeap that comes in the kit b i have. That comes with a long term replacement on broken lights.

Mark
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 11:29 PM   #14
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've used the touch up paint Ford supplies on three cars now and while it's a close colour match it dries to a matt finish and yells "look at me!" The touched up area really stands out.
If you are getting the chips from country driving only I'd go the Car Bra.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2005, 11:31 PM   #15
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Yeah i have used the thicker stuff on my headlights for abotu the last 10 years, its great.
Saved me may a dollar.

"Experimental Racer" #6

Old 05-01-2005, 01:09 AM   #16
Steve
torque is your friend

I'm going through this at the moment. I went on a cruise recently and the front got sandblasted pretty bad. I'll have to respray it then look at which method of paint protection I use.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2005, 11:22 AM   #17
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I do a bit of city and a bit of rural driving, however I think I get most of the stone chips from the freeway.