Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #31
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nak351
fair enough. but when it comes how will the governments operate on the billions of dollars lost in tax revenue from cigerette sales?
Thats a now brainer Reduced health cost to community from smoking related disease plus cost of massive anti smoking campaigns minus revenue from tobacco excise equal a healthy surplus for consolidated revenue.

That said I am not in favour of endless new laws banning this and that, the driving without due care and attention law will do just fine when required.

And if you do flick a butt out the window and its come into my drivers window or goes through my grill and wedges into my oil cooler or radiator, then you will understand why you ended up in a wall.
Simple enough really, filthy habit, want to trash your cars interior go right ahead, but keep keep your butts in your ashtray!! :jab:

My old man smoked 80 a day and always said it did him no harm. Silly old ***** died in his early 60's of heart & lung related disease quickly enough to not hear too many "I told you so's"!

Last edited by RED_EL_XR8; 19-02-2005 at 03:29 PM.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 03:26 PM   #32
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Why the hell are people even trying to justify throwing butts out the window? Am I allowed to throw my rubbish out the window on the basis it won't cause a fire?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #33
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Am I allowed to throw my rubbish out the window?
Many who use english as a 2nd language and see Australia as a great place for a large welfare cheque, believe throwing rubbish from car windows is compulsary to make our cities a bit more like home!!! :togo:
Old 19-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #34
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
davway;unfortunately too many ppl are sucked in by the propaganda put out by the would be's if they could be's.
It's time ppl looked beyond their own noses and started to think for themselves,this is said with regard to everything that goes down in our society.......do not believe everything you hear or read....... question it...no matter what!!!!!!!
what are you suggesting is going on with roadside fires then? people flicking matches out of the car?

you know what mate, ever seen someone throw their finished cigarette out the window at night?

the bloody things send sparks everywhere as soon as they hit the road. i see this heaps to be honest.

Yeah, well extinguised - my ***.

Oh, and they shouldnt be thrown out the window in the first place :jerk:

Last edited by seano14; 19-02-2005 at 04:28 PM.
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 05:26 PM   #35
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now let's see less than 7% moisture in a bushland or farmland or acreage situation no problem. 3.5kph windspeed at the surface probably just as much no problem, I recon I fart faster than 3.5kph. So these conditions are far from unusual. Hence :SaiyanSmi
Old 19-02-2005, 05:43 PM   #36
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Thats a now brainer Reduced health cost to community from smoking related disease plus cost of massive anti smoking campaigns minus revenue from tobacco excise equal a healthy surplus for consolidated revenue.

That said I am not in favour of endless new laws banning this and that, the driving without due care and attention law will do just fine when required.

And if you do flick a butt out the window and its come into my drivers window or goes through my grill and wedges into my oil cooler or radiator, then you will understand why you ended up in a wall.
Simple enough really, filthy habit, want to trash your cars interior go right ahead, but keep keep your butts in your ashtray!! :jab:

My old man smoked 80 a day and always said it did him no harm. Silly old ***** died in his early 60's of heart & lung related disease quickly enough to not hear too many "I told you so's"!
so what you're saying is every cent of taxes that the government makes from cigerettes goes straight back in to the health system?
you, my friend, live in a fantasy.
your car pollutes the environment more than the dozen or so smokes i have per day, now that's a filthy habit.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #37
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
your car pollutes the environment more than the dozen or so smokes i have per day, now that's a filthy habit.
true, but he isnt sucking on the end of the exhaust pipe :evilsasmo
Old 19-02-2005, 06:03 PM   #38
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano14
true, but he isnt sucking on the end of the exhaust pipe :evilsasmo
We might as well be.
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 06:19 PM   #39
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
so what you're saying is every cent of taxes that the government makes from cigerettes goes straight back in to the health system?
you, my friend, live in a fantasy.
No!!, that is not what I said at all!! Comprehension is Reading and Understanding.

So a moving vehicle produces more smoke than a cigarette? Well a smelter at a Ukranean munition factory produces more smoke than a 2003 5.4 Falcon? And what does that prove?

Automobiles offer something useful to the community, at a cost in live not dissimilar to the costs of smoking. Do your sums again. Tobacco exise may go into consolidated revenue, but you'll find a whole lot of other tax is funding the smoking burden on our health system. So as a non smoker (except in rare moments of extreme intoxication) I am effectively subsidising you.

I think you do have a right to smoke no matter how foolish that is. I also have a right to live with out your smokers mess. if a few more were considerate about how they smoked, we wouldn't see the bans on beaches etc.
Regardless of any rights to smoke you have no rights to thow butts especially lit ones out of car windows, nor to be uneccesarily be distracted from driving safely by smoking. Wanna shorten your life and burn holes in your upholstry go right ahead.
And dont bitch to me you pay more for life insurance as its only fair.

might just be those smokers in denial are the ones in the fantasy. :monkes:
Old 19-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #40
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Well I'm all for it, I personally can not stand smoking FULL STOP, this is my opinion and mine alone, those that wish to debate the issue, you will find are only the one's that smoke, when will they realise what damage they are not only doing to themselve's but to the rest of us. These people have no will power, if they did they would have quit.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 06:26 PM   #41
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Common sense, unfortunatley is not so common! Common sense would tell you to put on your seat belt when driving, yet we need a law to enforce this, why? We assume that those that are driving are competent enough to do so! Driving is a serious responsibility. It demands and deserves your full attention. Distractions play a part in one out of every four motor vehicle crashes.
A distraction is anything that takes your hands, eyes or attention away from driving. It could be a billboard, passengers in your car, something outside the car or even something as simple as trying to set the speed of your windshield wipers.

The most common driving distractions:

* Adjusting the stereo.
* Other passengers in the car.
* Moving objects in the vehicle.
* Cell phones.
* Eating or drinking while driving.
* Personal grooming.
* Adjusting the vehicles climate controls.
* Smoking while driving.

We are become a more safety conscience society and l do believe that prevention is better than cure, regardless of the issue. Sadly, the law is not here to protect you, its here to penalise you!
Old 19-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #42
Brute33
Boss 350

Unfortunately , this country happens to be big , with a small population and the taxes made from cigarettes is an important part of balancing the till. No government in this country has or will have the balls to eradicate smoking to the point it has to be done in their own home. Pollution and peoples health mean bugger all . Its about nothing else but money.

Dick Johnson has got no hope of getting his fantasy made into law.
Here he is , taking shitloads of money from a petro chemical company , which in turn creates a product that makes a bigger hole in the ozone layer than cigarettes ever will in your lungs. Fossil fuels are killing the planet for gods sake . Where is his concience ? :

Seeing as I love motorsport ,Fords , and smoke cigarettes , i'll forgive the old ******** for having a brain lapse. He should concentrate more on trying to pass his opponents and win a race , than pass some stupid law . :hihi:
Brute33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 11:21 PM   #43
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Meh, doesn't affect me. I am a non-smoker, have always been, will always be.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 12:02 AM   #44
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

I think some people are mis-informed here - the costs to the community are not offset by the revenue from taxing cigarettes. Red_EL_XR8 is right. However I can't give you some government report to back it up, so feel free to either believe one way or the other, in the end I don't care. Just don't expect me to feel sorry for people who die of smoking related illnesses, in the same way as I don't care if my mate dies in car crash because he was being a ******** (true story). We all make choices in life.

But as for smokers around people who don't smoke, ESPECIALLY kids who often don't have a choice, I think it all comes down to common decency. Which unfortunately is dying or dead.

Cigarette butts out windows? Well its littering regardless of whether it starts fires or not. Keep em in your car till you find a bin.

But then again people like Dick Johnston have to say crap like this to keep themselves in the public eye. After all the longer everyone focuses on little crap such as this, the more the bigger issues get ignored such as issues that affect the world globally.

Dan...

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL

Last edited by DanXR6T; 20-02-2005 at 12:08 AM.
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 12:05 AM   #45
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

like I said before into the window or into the grille, your into the wall.
Old 20-02-2005, 12:42 AM   #46
boss428
bossman

all i can say is.......so much for living in a democracy where any freedoms of choice you have is governed by communist ideals......next it will banning v8....then sixes.....etc..etc... so this govermnent that suppossedly listens to the public who pays there wages, but never delivers,can get stuxxxxxx!!!!! :thebirds: :thebirds:
Drivers
:eclipsee_ :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_ :eclipsee_
boss428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 04:52 PM   #47
LTDHO
The one and only

firstly I am a non smoker and I don't see to point or reason to smoke.

Secondly the scariest thing I have seen a driver do is duck his head onto the steering wheel to cup his hand to light a smoke.
In this time while his eyes are not on the road he can slam into the rear of the car infront and smash his head to bits. Why do some smokers do this??
I also can't think of a worst smell then getting into a smokers car, especially if it's velour. You look up and see the yellow stain. : Even when the owner 'always has the window open' I used to details cars and the smell took forever to get out properly.

Anyway, a smoke has less control of their vehicle then another motorist. I think drinking and eating while driving is illegal in Victoria, not sure on smoking.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 05:28 PM   #48
Discovery
"Jlywrslr" ;)

My opinion is if you aren't allowed to hold a mobile phone whilst driving, why should you be able to hold a lit cigarette? Means less control over the car if you have one hand occupied, and the chance of smoke getting in your eyes and blurring your vision temporarily is also a possibility.

I think it's a good proposal.
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 05:30 PM   #49
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at your speedo is distracting :Reverend:
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 05:34 PM   #50
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Heard on ABC radio a few days ago ..Dick is a member of AMC( Australian Motoring Council, I think) and this council is pushing for the banning of smoking whilst driving,becuase it is a distraction from concentrating on driving and may lead to the road toll.As well as start bushfires...which I can prove is highly improbable...by tossing butts out.
Now before all you non smokers take up the cudgel and say yea...think about this extrapolation.... if smoking while driving is a distraction where does that leave you with eating, drinking(softies),talking and listening to the radio or the cd and talking to your passengers.
If they're successful in getting the non smoking thru the rest will follow.
What are your thoughts on this.
I think Driving and smoking should be banned as im sick to death of half witted morons throwing there smokes out the windows and having to watch where it lands as when i was driving my 9 second ute a couple of years ago some stoopid moron did throw one out and it went inside my hornet scoop and into the sheet metal intake.. Methanol car........ I wasnt impressed..... After i removed the smoke from my manifold i chased him down and had some pleasant words with him.

I also dont think u should eat and drive. IMO

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #51
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
I think Driving and smoking should be banned as im sick to death of half witted morons throwing there smokes out the windows and having to watch where it lands as when i was driving my 9 second ute a couple of years ago some stoopid moron did throw one out and it went inside my hornet scoop and into the sheet metal intake.. Methanol car........ I wasnt impressed..... After i removed the smoke from my manifold i chased him down and had some pleasant words with him.

I also dont think u should eat and drive. IMO
So what about listening to stereo,changing cd's or stations,or talking to passengers?

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 12:13 AM   #52
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So what about listening to stereo,changing cd's or stations,or talking to passengers?
do you adjust the stereo/change cd every 10seconds? (or however often you suck on your cigarette?)

also personally, when i talk to passengers i still have a hell of alot of concentration to still drive. the problem is when drivers talk to passengers and physically turn and look at them for certain amounts of time, taking their eyes off the road.

i also dont see people throwing cd headunits or passengers out the window :
Old 22-02-2005, 12:39 AM   #53
kiwikid
have you seen my marbles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano14
i also dont see people throwing cd headunits or passengers out the window :

hahaha that would be a site to see
: