Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #1
SSbaby
Banned

Default Stain on paint after using octane booster

Although I poured water over the fuel filler cap, after adding some octane booster, I noticed a stain on the rear bumper the next day, probably from the remaining residue around the cap. I've tried Meguiar's paint cleaner, eucalyptus oil... no luck! It looks like it's eaten into the paintwork.

Is there a product out there that will get it off? :(
Old 21-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
BJ
Banned

I take it,it is a painted bumper if so try some t-cut that should get it out if not try auto gleam.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH7472
I take it,it is a painted bumper if so try some t-cut that should get it out if not try auto gleam.
Yes, it is a painted bumper.

Thanks for your feedback, CH7472!
Old 21-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
SSbaby
Banned

In a followup call to Meguiar's, I was told it might not be possible to get it out as it sounds like it ate through the clearcoat... I'll try the ScratchX product (clearcoat safe) and see how I go.
Old 21-02-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
BJ
Banned

Good Luck
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
SSbaby
Banned

Thanks for your well wishes there, CH7472!

Well you'll never believe the latest development... but coming from me I'm sure you'd take it at face value ;)

The news is good...

I contacted **** and they are going to foot the bill for a respray as there is no way to clear the stain. LS1 owners in particular should heed the following:
  • The problem apparently only affects Commodore owners.
  • The problem does not tarnish the paint on metalic surfaces, only the plastic components (e.g. bumpers) specific to Commodores are being tarnished as the oxidants used in the booster react with the exterior plastic that Holden use for the Commodore product.
  • As a fix, **** are adding more oil into the booster to reduce oxidation PLUS ammending the nozzles of their booster bottles as the nozzle does not completely open the flap of the fuel filler opening, which is how the spillage apparently takes place.
  • Another word of caution is for owners to immediately wipe the stain dry as any contact with the plastic to the point where the stain is allowed to dry will render the stain permanent on plastic surfaces.

**** denotes manufacturer of the ocatane booster product.

PS The manufacturer was very considerate and extremely co-operative... their customer service is nothing short of first class!
Old 22-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #7
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

who is ****?
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post