Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
drep
Drep

Default Ford Territory as Tow vehicle

Hi All
Invite forum members opinion on using a Ford Territory as a tow vehicle for a 1900kg all up weight twin axle 8 metre long caravan. I am looking at a 2008 Ford Territory Variant TX, SY 5D S/Wagon , 4spd Tiptronic, 4.0 L Injection, rear wheel drive petrol model, it has done about 160.000Km and the asking price is $12,000. ( my maximum budget)
I heard on the grape vine that some earlier models had some problems, with transmission etc.
Would appreciate advice on Territory’s in general as a towing vehicle, any problems in general with the 2008 model, plus anything useful.
Thanks this is a great forum!

drep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
03 GHIA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Territory as Tow vehicle

Haven't towed that much weight before, but you'd certainly want to fit a large trans cooler to bypass the radiator if it hasn't been done yet, killed a box in the EA because it didn't have an external cooler.
Most common would be the heavy duty PWR kit, they're bar and plate coolers and the kit can be had for under $200, pretty simple to fit following the instructions.
Not sure on what brand mine is but it's core size is 300x300x50mm and also bar and plate, overkill but I'd rather be on the safe side.

Previous
White 2003 Fairmont Ghia

First- RIP.
White 1990 Ford Fairmont
Exhaust, intake, cam & lowered.
03 GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
OLD BALDY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure you buy one with a 6 speed ZF and you will not go wrong.
OLD BALDY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drep View Post
Hi All
Invite forum members opinion on using a Ford Territory as a tow vehicle for a 1900kg all up weight twin axle 8 metre long caravan. I am looking at a 2008 Ford Territory Variant TX, SY 5D S/Wagon , 4spd Tiptronic, 4.0 L Injection, rear wheel drive petrol model, it has done about 160.000Km and the asking price is $12,000. ( my maximum budget)
I heard on the grape vine that some earlier models had some problems, with transmission etc.
Would appreciate advice on Territory’s in general as a towing vehicle, any problems in general with the 2008 model, plus anything useful.
Thanks this is a great forum!
Territory are great tow vehicles. As 03 Ghia said, fit an aftermarket heavy duty cooler. I would also recommend getting a transmission fluid change at the same time. Should be about $400 ($200/$200) for the lot. New fluid and a cooler and you'll have no worries. Enjoy!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wagon with it's leaf spring backside is theoretically the better tow vehicle. But my fathers Mitsubishi Triton is beautiful to tow with. $12k will get you a nice petrol dual cab, probably not a diesel with low k's.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32 View Post
Wagon with it's leaf spring backside is theoretically the better tow vehicle.
Agreed !! But a Wagon with the benefits of it's leaf spring back end and the additional benefits of the 6spd ZF and Terry's AWD front end is even better !!

All that aside though... I tow my racecar on a tandem car trailer, which weighs about 2300Kg alll up... and the 6spd ZF auto makes towing a breeze !! I hardly notice the weight on the back, and it makes light work taking off from rest and towing up hills ! A Terry should handle 1900Kgs no worries at all !!

Dhru

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)

Last edited by Gothefalcon; 13-04-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
b2428

Have regularly towed around the 2 ton mark with a ba fairmont I can only guess a Terri would be even better given the extra ground clearance. Rear clearance was only issue I ever had. Oh that and it drunk like a fish.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your REALY on a tight budget, I recon a solid axle is the way to go...a good AU frinstance .

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Agile

Have towed a tandem traddies trailer for 5 years behind 04 Ghia AWD. Have had no problems. Have recently spent dollars on King Springs [raised 50mm] Airbags and all bushes replaced and it is even better now. It does like a drink so be prepared for 15/16 litres per hundred Kays, minimum whilst towing.
Agile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
provked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed with all, can't beat a diesel ute, however I towed a 21ft van 1900 kg empty, to 2200 ish maybee more loaded with my 2010 awd tx, towed Great at 100+kmh in drive but once I dropped speed to 85 90 in some twisty stuff it was up and down gears all the time, plus slight hills, . It did however tow as good if not better than my dads 09 prado, and that's his comment too. Only down fall is fuel, I used a full tank to go 280 ish kms

EL XR8 daily

67 XR fairmont, the toy!!
provked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
provked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saying that though I think the fuel issue was the wind factor not so much the weight,

EL XR8 daily

67 XR fairmont, the toy!!
provked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
lamborghinifan

4sp terry is ok, but fit the heavy cooler (120 ish + fitting), also the back end is a bit saggy, recommend a set of poly-airs or similar (270ish + fitting).
Will like a drink but is still quite adequate, and a nice car to drive when not towing. If you can stretch the budget, the 6sp is a very nice box. i've owned and towed with both. 4 sp is pretty bullet proof once the cooler is in place.
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I just towed about 1700kg over easter, probably closer to 1900kg once loaded up. Did it easy with an AWD 2004 SX Ghia. Needed a few extra revs though for some of the hills, but the 4sp auto was fine, although it did drink a bit (thankfully it has had a LiLPG conversion) but kept up with the highway speeds easy.

The Ghia comes with the trans cooler by default. I agree with the others, get the trans cooler installed if you're getting a lower spec model.

Lukeyson