Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-05-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Default AU Handbrake actually works

Well after owning the car for four years with what I thought was a pretty useless handbrake I decided to take off the rear rotors and clean it up and adjust it.

Bloody hell it actually works. I can't believe the difference. I had asked for it to be adjusted when I got it serviced but they obviuosly just didn't bother to do it properly.

The adjusters were still on the stops!

Handbrake turn on dirt now possible!!
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can you do mine for me lol
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 09:35 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

me too, mines shagged and I REALLY dont want to stuff around with the brakes...I'm not that clever.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my Handbrake makes a ShoooShoooShooooShoooo sound when driving slow...pi$$es me off.....
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #5
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must be a thing with AUs. a friend of mine has an XR6 VCT and the handbrake goes up a rediculous amount of notches.

Then again, mine was pretty ordinary until I adjusted it a couple of weekends ago. Getting the rear rotors off after 100000kms can be interesting....

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT

Last edited by fairmont1998; 24-05-2005 at 11:42 PM.
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2005, 11:43 PM   #6
Kryton

even when mine was 'ford' adjusted it went all the way up, but it did work properly though. maybe its just a 'we like to stretch your cable' thing?
the old mazda used to get 2 clicks and it was fully engaged.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 12:34 AM   #7
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
my Handbrake makes a ShoooShoooShooooShoooo sound when driving slow...pi$$es me off.....
And this usually happens when the handbrake is working as it's supposed to, as in, correctly adjusted and correct number of clicks 'till tight.. : And it's not just a AU problem either. I have heard VN to current model Commondores, and EL to current BA's doing it as well.

Mine was loose as.. (get your head out of the gutter..e), but when I got my 60k service done at G&D and they adjusted it, didn't even ask for it to be adjusted, and it works perfect. No noise (so far) or nothing.. thanks G&D .

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 08:57 AM   #8
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Well mines brilliant now. Well in comparison to what it was.

Two notches and it sharply stops the car rolling.

It used to go a riduculous no of notches with very little effect at all.

I think all Ford do is adjust the cable in the handbrake end which when the cable stretches with age and then the brake shoes wear or bed in does nothing.

I had given up on the handbrake as a useless joke but it isn't that bad now. won't skid the wheels on tar but in the wet on tar or the dirt it will now.
Old 25-05-2005, 09:06 AM   #9
slim

Well i wish this post was here 2 days ago,thought mine was right up,turned round to see my baby rollin towards my old mans truck.......done the mad dash and of course didn't get to it time....clunk no real damage just cracked the paint on the bumper a bit,still enough to f***k me off tho
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #10
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

you didn't listen to the guy on that Pizza Hut advert did ya...
Old 25-05-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Jonbays, is that two notches as in two audible clicks?

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 06:49 PM   #12
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Yes its two clicks I haven't actually counted the notches.

I still can't get over it.

I have a steep driveway and usually the car rolls back and takes up the strain on the parking lock but now handbrake on and its stopped and getting it out of park into drive is much easier!
Old 25-05-2005, 06:51 PM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim
Well i wish this post was here 2 days ago,thought mine was right up,turned round to see my baby rollin towards my old mans truck.......done the mad dash and of course didn't get to it time....clunk no real damage just cracked the paint on the bumper a bit,still enough to f***k me off tho
I had a similar incident happen with mine, I parked my AU in my drive way which is flat enough or so I thought, I had the handbrake on but a lot of good that is, I looked around and seen the vehicle heading south toward's the road and my letterbox, I too made the mad dash and got there just in time, fewwwwwwwwwww, but it sure scared the bijebee's out of me.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2005, 06:52 PM   #14
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cArSiK
Mine does this too.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #15
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

The handbrake on my AUII doesn't work at all, i went to thomson ford for one of the 60 thousand k's free service's (that was the first only one i got done) and they adviced me my handbrake was in need of adjustment. After ripping me off $80 i was driving home and heard an occasional squealing which turned into a bloody loud grinding noise. I rang ford and they acussed me of driving with the handbrake leaver up. So i took it back and they apologised for over tightening it and fixed it by simply releasing it totally so now i have no handbrake. I'll get around to trying it myself, was it difficult to do? I've got a gregorys book & it seems straight forward.

Cheers

Adrian.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 09:27 AM   #16
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Yes I have an AUII with the free services included too so the dealer did F*** All and charged ford under the deal.

Great isn't it.

They will have just adjusted the cable up to buggery and not even looked at adjusting the brake adjuster in the drum.

You can adjust the handbrake through the inspection hole without taking the calipurs and disc off but to be sure to avoid overadjustment it is nice to adjust it up until its not too hard to push the disc back on that way you can feel very easily there is no handbrake drag at all.
Old 26-05-2005, 12:20 PM   #17
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Hmm, then my handbrake is in need of big adjustment then. I count over 12 or 16 clicks before it takes any effect. When I bought the car it said on the report sheet that the handbrake was too high. Maybe that's why. But they sold me the car with that problem. Do you think they should have fixed it before selling it? It's not a serious problem, obviously, but maybe pulling it up so high all the time will lead to long-term problems in that area.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2005, 12:43 PM   #18
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Dauphin a functional handbrake is a rwc item so it should have been fixed but I know you will need to do it yourself if you want it done properly.

You should adjust the drum brakes on both rear wheels first and then the cable adjuster to make it all work properly. Most people just want to do the esaiet thing and keep adjusting the cable for ever and ever.
Old 26-05-2005, 07:20 PM   #19
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jonbays is right. Do the drums first and make sure the cable is slack when you do them. After adjusting up my drums properly, I didn't even need to touch the cable adjustment.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2005, 01:41 AM   #20
Timeshift

My AUIII with 60,000k on the clock takes 9-10 clicks before the car stops making any movement... not too bad I spose.
Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post