Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 
Default How fast do you take corners?

Hi all,

A clean, dry L-shaped corner. How fast have you successfully taken them? From memory I haven't had the guts to go above 50 km/h.

Andrew.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2005, 02:30 PM   #2
neb
hibernating

depends.. turning left or right? (left is sharper turn than right) and just depends on the corner.
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Hi all,

A clean, dry L-shaped corner. How fast have you successfully taken them? From memory I haven't had the guts to go above 50 km/h.

Andrew.
LOL, I dont usually look at the speedo if I'm doing that sort of speed conering but I would say I "could" do it at 70kph....pretty easily too. I do know that, to prove a point, I put the cruise control on one night (closer to 1am) and set it to 50kph. I then drove all through the back streets around home without touching it unless it was a stop, giveway or blind corner. Was not an issue...and I was following Mr Bracks law of only doing 50kph in residential areas :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
EFFalcon
Last warning

until the rear overtakes the front.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2005, 02:42 PM   #5
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are many variables: road width, surface type / condition, left or right turn, camber...many mnay variables that make big differences.

but there are a couple of 90 degree corners at winton, and theyre slightly more than flat out second for me, so i would say (guess - not usually looking at speedo!) somewhere around 100
tickford2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #6
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

100 km/h would be so scary! I've seen some frightening in-car videos of people mucking about and the rear overtakes the front, as EFFalcon said, and they smashed it up.

Once I did the same corner at "high" speed in a little Corolla and the front wheel drive effect was a real surprise - the way it pulled the steering wheel to one side.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

As mentioned depends on the corner really .... sometimes going around the corner a little sideways is quicker than taking it neatly (without loss of traction).

All comes down to the suspension setup on the car ... the wheels and tyres ... the road condition ... the weather condition ... and last of all .... the competency of the driver.

RWD and FWD are totally different when it comes to handling characteristics ... especially on tight roads.

I used to own a Proton Satria ... and I had replaced literally everything when it came to suspension ... this little thing could handle ... just underpowered.

I used to have fun up old Pacific Hwy and Macquarie Pass ... pushed a fairly modded WRX on the way up Mac Pass ... he couldn't shake me ... he was having a hard time trying to hold corners ... where I was having to back off all the time cos he was going slower than I would have liked.

I used to take the 25km/h hairpins at 70-80km/h ... traction all the way ... and staying well within my own lane ... used to stick to the road like shit to a blanket ... it was a fun mountain road car.

My current ute ... it needs some suspension work .. but I doubt I'll ever get it to handle like my Territory though ... now THAT can handle some hard corners well for a 2 ton vehicle.

Last edited by Mechan1k; 01-06-2005 at 12:34 AM.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2005, 09:04 PM   #8
Spaniard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
until the rear overtakes the front.
Classic response. Sounds like it's coming from experience there.
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2005, 10:37 PM   #9
damo03
BBQ gas User

Dunno about side streets in my car, but i went through some shikains in a fiat on 2 wheels doing 110 with 5 people in the car in a 45 zone (no I wasn't driving), but great ocean road and halls gap is where I prefer to push the car to the limit.